Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What do you do regarding hay, Rich?....bale a shitload and hope for the best?

Was it hay you ran out of this spring, or wood, can't remember now.
Both, actually. But we routinely trade fresh raw milk for round bales when the pastures go barren. For winter, I buy two barns-full of large squares.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The neighboring ranchers, who have huge fields, have already made their first cutting and bailing (large rounds). We don;t do anything with ours (not big enough) except let our critters eat it. I wish this year, however, that I could cut it because once it gets the seed tops, the horses might not want to eat it. There is enough out there to feed them all summer, but the lazy asses might not want what is right in front of them.
How do you feed them in the winter, buy Hay?

EDIT: Skip this post.....:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like the barter system too...!
One of our neighbors, from whom we get those large round bales, refuses to sell them to us. He says he is not in the business of selling hay, just raising cattle. But he gladly barters for Lannie's milk and my help when he has electrical problems (I gotta go over there and help him figure out what is wrong with one of his well pumps later this week). And the guy we buy hay from often takes one of our calves and some of Lannie's cheeses (plus some cash).

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of our neighbors, from whom we get those large round bales, refuses to sell them to us. He says he is not in the business of selling hay, just raising cattle. But he gladly barters for Lannie's milk and my help when he has electrical problems (I gotta go over there and help him figure out what is wrong with one of his well pumps later this week). And the guy we buy hay from often takes one of our calves and some of Lannie's cheeses (plus some cash).
Nothing wrong with that. Wish the rest of the nation was on the same terms.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nothing wrong with that. Wish the rest of the nation was on the same terms.
Yeah, me too. Especially when us old pharts have a lifetime of knowledge and skill sets that we could share with the younger folks if they would just be willing to take advantage of it. I am one of those people who really is not looking to get rich by selling my skills/knowledge... I gladly give that to anyone who asks for it, and in turn, it is nice when they give what they are capable of. I know this system would work very well if everyone was more willing, but the government hates it because they cannot tax it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, me too. Especially when us old pharts have a lifetime of knowledge and skill sets that we could share with the younger folks if they would just be willing to take advantage of it. I am one of those people who really is not looking to get rich by selling my skills/knowledge... I gladly give that to anyone who asks for it, and in turn, it is nice when they give what they are capable of. I know this system would work very well if everyone was more willing, but the government hates it because they cannot tax it.
Wish I was living in the 1950's to tell you the truth. I despise cell phone, computers, et al - electronic gadgets...I'd be happy with a pay phone down the street and not worry about locking house doors.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wish I was living in the 1950's to tell you the truth. I despise cell phone, computers, et al - electronic gadgets...I'd be happy with a pay phone down the street and not worry about locking house doors.
I'm with you there 100%. I am convinced that all these "modern conveniences" are the root of our social problems today. I hate telephones - yes, even the old land lines (which is what we have in our house, and yes, I have one in the shop that still has a rotary dial). I prefer to look you in the eye when I am talking to you (body language tells me if you understand or if you are lying, etc., and you can't get that on a smart phone). While I enjoy my movie collection, I hate cable/satellite TV, paying for a hundred stations I never watch and all of them have commercials I hate to have to put up with (if I am paying them for this service, why should I also have to watch commercials - cable used to be commercial-free). And yes, computers make my information gathering a lot quicker, but I have several thousand books here, and I'd rather be reading those, and it is harder for those authors to lie (or easier for me to catch them if they do lie) than the smart-asses who post bullshit all over the web and try so hard to sound like geniuses when, in fact, they are stupid ego-driven assholes. Yada yada yada...

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
G'nite Dale. Have a good one and I hope it is not too hot for ya tomorrow.

I guess I am the last man standing, so I'll turn out the lights in a few minutes if no one else shows up.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hate cable/satellite TV, paying for a hundred stations I never watch and all of them have commercials I hate to have to put up with (if I am paying them for this service, why should I also have to watch commercials - cable used to be commercial-free).

How about the colume of the commercials? One thing Obama did right, was to tell the TV stations to keep the volumes of the commercials at the same volumes as the programs. In comes Trump, and I have to mute every commercial. Some of them make my ears hurt like the Dickens.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How about the volume of the commercials? One thing Obama did right, was to tell the TV stations to keep the volumes of the commercials at the same volumes as the programs. In comes Trump, and I have to mute every commercial. Some of them make my ears hurt like the Dickens.
I have had Dish network for the past 14 years and have never noticed any difference in the volume of commercials in all that time -- they have always been too loud. We all know you hate Trump, but drop it, because he did not tell them to raise your volume. There is a special thread for political hate speech and this is not it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Changed the alternator on the Blazer. Was only running about 12 volts.
All fine now. even got rid of a noisy bearing noise. All quiet now.
And also checked the ac again because it was acting strange yesterday in 95 deg heat.
Head pressure too high, let some freon out and now it is around 240 psi which should be good.

good thing I got done it started thundering and raining 5 min after I got done.
And being a shade tree mechanic for now....

ON TV. Had Direct TV for around 20 years. finally realized we seldom watched anything on it and could get around 30 channels from an antenna. Good bye DTV.
Still seldom watch anything on the tube. Do have a SCIFi oriented channel though with a couple of good shows on it and watch some PBS.
Still maybe only around 4-6 hours per week.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What are you doing to the Blazer now?.....thought you had her rolling.....:eek:
Replaced the alternator. Noisy bearings and low output.
Fine tuned the freon level. I charged it up on a cool day so I got a bit too much in there and had to bleed some out.

Only had it down for about 1.5 hours and half of that was wiping sweat out of my eyes.
Summer here is like living in a green house.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What year is your Blazer?
I had one once and i loved it! Got rid of it after the starter went bad.. but mainly cause it was a gas guzzler and it was a heavy piece of machine!
Ohh this is the S10 Blazer 4WD 2001 model.
I like it too. Bought it a year or so ago and still doing an as I go restoration on it.
Body is really nice but high miles.
I go all the way thru my used vehicles that I buy.
Next to check is driveline joints and differential seals.

Not a gas hog but not great either.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Still maybe only around 4-6 hours per week.
I have to say that one or the other of our two TVs is on Dish about 18 hours a day, but to be truthful, neither of us is actually "watching" it for more than... what?... 2 hours per day. It is background noise. We do not get radio signals well here, so the TVs serve that purpose.
Rich must be feeding the critters with an umbrella this evening.....:devil:
Oddly, we had weird weather at Oh-dark-thirty this morning... massive thunderstorms and nearly two inches of rain. Not heat-created thunderstorms (it was only about 55 at the time) and the weather map showed no frontal system -- just a huge blob of green (rain) moving SE across the whole state. THAT is not normal. Sky never cleared up, but the rain eased off a bit and, at the moment, is calm and no precipitation.

So, Dale, did you ever find that global temperatures link?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have to say that one or the other of our two TVs is on Dish about 18 hours a day, but to be truthful, neither of us is actually "watching" it for more than... what?... 2 hours per day. It is background noise. We do not get radio signals well here, so the TVs serve that purpose.

Oddly, we had weird weather at Oh-dark-thirty this morning... massive thunderstorms and nearly two inches of rain. Not heat-created thunderstorms (it was only about 55 at the time) and the weather map showed no frontal system -- just a huge blob of green (rain) moving SE across the whole state. THAT is not normal. Sky never cleared up, but the rain eased off a bit and, at the moment, is calm and no precipitation.

So, Dale, did you ever find that global temperatures link?
It wasn't a global temperature study, it was a doctor showing how the sun is causing global cooling. Sorry, I didn't have time to look today, I'll put it on my things to do tomorrow...he emailed it to me. But I have numerous emails from him, he moved to Brazil.

VU Sponsors