Member For 5 Years

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Better hire Juice as your used homestead agent, she knows the gig.

If someone can find a cheap home in Hawaii, she's got more than one thing in her favor......:giggle:

You gotta want it bad :giggle:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Finding property to suit your needs takes perseverance and patience, you curmudgeon you
40 acres, Cabin in the Woods - Off Grid Fun !
•?•Lot For Sale-Ranch At Prescott•?•
I looked at both of those, Juicy. The 40 acres is cute, but it has no electricity and you have to shit in an outhouse. The other one is a houseless acre of brush that the cow cannot eat.

Perhaps I failed to state what I want or you guys didn't take me seriously when I did say it. (I want the property/facilities I have right now teleported to AZ). I need a house (ON grid) with a barn and, if possible, a garage or shop. The property must be at least 5+ acres of grass (or the hay sold in the area must be damn cheap) because we are bringing the milk cow with us. I cannot live on 100 acres of sagebrush and cactus because that provides no value to me whatsoever (Tombstone properties are right out). This is why I am focused on northern AZ and/or properties above 5000 feet (more likely to have trees and grass).

I am nearly 70 years old and almost totally disabled. I cannot pretend I am a youngster who is willing to build a yurt on a mountainside and milk mountain goats instead of a Jersey. If I didn't have a wife who is willing to work her ass off, I would probably already be assigned to the V.A. Old Folks Home. All of my mountain climbing/hiking/dirt bike racing are memories from my past because I cannot do that shit anymore. The house has to be ready to occupy with no carpentry requirements. No, I am not looking for luxury, but I am also not looking for the "cabin in the woods" setup where I have to walk (stagger) 50 yards outside to take a dump.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Juice just gave you a few quick examples of what's available, you can bet there are a slue more....possibly not in your price range with barns et al, but they are good inexpensive property still available.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
there are a slue more....possibly not in your price range with barns et al, but they are good inexpensive of property still available.
And I am still looking. The only reason I brought this up at all is that, so far, "inexpensive properties" do not appear to be part of the equation. Maybe I just have to stay here in the frozen north until such time as I become so useless to Lannie that she can no longer handle the chores alone.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I go up there to see Mark, I'll check the area out. I may buy something myself for an investment....it won't be long before Phoenix and Yavapai county are connected.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
it won't be long before Phoenix and Yavapai county are connected.
Doesn't the very thought of that just scare the crap out of you? Prescott is... what? About 1.5-2 hours drive from Scottsdale? And in a few years, you predict it will be a suburb (or at least part of the greater metropolitan area). Will there be any place left for us conservatives to live? (Assumption based mostly on proven fact: ALL big cities are liberal havens, and when they over-run and dominate the country, there will be no individual freedoms left). [Relax, Crom, that was not an attempt to start a political discussion. so let's leave it there]

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I look for real estate, I drive around looking for "For Sale By Owner" signs, and talking to locals. When a real estate agent is involved, they seem to put high expectations in people's minds.
Well the wanted selling price has to be bumped up to cover the realtor's commission.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well the wanted selling price has to be bumped up to cover the realtor's commission.
What is the realtor piece of the action these days? 6%? Well, I am still cruising the listings and found a double-wide mobile on a city lot. That clearly is not what I am looking for, but I waded through all the photos anyway just to see what is out there. Noticeable wear and tear both inside and out. No outbuildings of any kind. No perimeter fence, etc. I would assess the value of that property to be, at best, $30,000. Now let's add the realtor fee of $1800 and it should be listed as $31,800, but everyone likes a bargain deal, so let's put it in the book as $49,000 and you can then "talk the seller down," which makes the buyer think he's getting a great deal because, after all, he got it for $17,000 LESS than what they were asking. Does all that sound reasonable? Well, the list price on this piece of crap was $99,900. THAT is why I have been bitching that everything I am finding is WAAAAYYYYYY overpriced.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You ain't gonna find jackshit on the interweb

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I found mine on the internet - but had been looking there and in person when possible for a long while
It's tough to find what he's looking for, which I would call non-existent. House, barn, fence, grass, 10 acres - Cheap?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I found mine on the internet - but had been looking there and in person when possible for a long while
And I will keep looking there. At the very least, I will acquire a feeling for any given area and what it has to offer. I am not fixated on one spot/town or even one state. We found the property we own now on the internet and it had all the amenities we desired and was a decent price. The drawback is being a zillion miles out in the boonies. We are living with that. While it would be nicer to be a little closer to shopping, I do not want to even be within sight of a city. If your skyscrapers are visible on my horizon, I am way too close. Will that city grow to eventually engulf me? No. While it might one day reach my location, I will long since have been buried before they take over. But, unlike those people who can afford to fly all over the world without even thinking about the price of their tickets, most of us have to pinch pennies just to pay the monthly bills, so flying to any area to look for "for sale by owner" signs just ain't never gonna happen. When and if I find what I am looking for, AND I have an offer from someone to buy this place, then I will have to drive out there to inspect that property and make an offer. Until then, I am still shopping the internet.

Now, let us move on to some other subjects.

Like bitching about UPS and USPS services. Is Christmas already screwing up the delivery schedules or have these people just become incompetent? We ordered some stuff 10 days ago. Last Monday we received shipping confirmations from both UPS and USPS and that both were on two-day priority deliveries. We just got the USPS today, 8 days after it was shipped from Texas. As of this particular time of day, the UPS package has still not arrived. Tracking said it was to be here yesterday. It wasn't. Even then, that would have been 6 days after it was promised. So, is this what we are to expect in customer service from here on? Bitch bitch bitch... I think I need a vacation, whatever that might be... :blah:

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Meanwhile, in Texas.
3cbaf89ebbb2d9e23bb0cbaae407af9d.jpg

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening Jimi....did you watch that video I sent?

Really interesting, not only that video, but other info I read saying the same thing.....!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening Jimi....did you watch that video I sent?

Really interesting, not only that video, but other info I read saying the same thing.....!
No I haven't had a chance to yet Dale but I have heard of it to, had a pretty busy day and night but I will get to before long. Are you gonna give it a try?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No I haven't had a chance to yet Dale but I have heard of it to, had a pretty busy day and night but I will get to before long. Are you gonna give it a try?
Yes, it's good for the body, whether you have an illness or not.

How is your eye doing?.........better I hope.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, it's good for the body, whether you have an illness or not.

How is your eye doing?.........better I hope.
Yes very good for the body, lemons alone are great for the body
Eyes are still screwed up everything is so blurry having a tough time reading

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did they ever find anything in your eye?....or just a scratched eye?
No, I got what ever it was out and had a deep scratch, my eyes have been failing me for some time just got very bad lately, my brother had his cataracts done and he sees a world better,

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, I got what ever it was out and had a deep scratch, my eyes have been failing me for some time just got very bad lately, my brother had his cataracts done and he sees a world better,
Well I certainly hope the eye gets better, Jimi....you have enough issues without adding to the list.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Carrots may be the food best known for helping your eyes. But other foods and their nutrients may be more important for keeping your eyesight keen as you age. Vitamins C and E, zinc, lutein, zeaxanthin, and omega-3 fatty acids all play a role in eye health. They can help prevent cataracts, clouding of your eye lens.

From the interweb

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Carrots may be the food best known for helping your eyes. But other foods and their nutrients may be more important for keeping your eyesight keen as you age. Vitamins C and E, zinc, lutein, zeaxanthin, and omega-3 fatty acids all play a role in eye health. They can help prevent cataracts, clouding of your eye lens.

From the interweb
You're right they all are great for eyes.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was reading an article today about grape entrails from a juicer, how good they are for the body without the juice.

VU Sponsors