Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's another one to ponder: Chickens. Because everyone feeds their chickens grains in the coop, we tend to think of them as herbivores, but our chickens are free range and it is very obvious, if you watch them, that their primary food is bugs and worms ... and chicken eggs that broke (or they broke them), and baby chicks that have no mother to protect them, so they are cannibals, and mice and any other manner of smaller critters... Yup, those chickens are definitely omnivores. And they don't even have the teeth of meat eaters, but those beaks can rip up almost anything a carnivore can.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, those thunderstorms last night appear to have slipped around us rather than over us. I suspect we got some light showers (due to damp cats coming in this morning), but nothing really significant. It did rain for about three hours this morning (pasture needed that and it cooled us off a bit, although raising humidity). I went out after noon and felt the grass and thought I might be able to mow the dog yard (AFTER filling the tires with green slime). I was wrong and all I did was clog the deck and make the grass look like shit. I'll try again tomorrow (I hope). The forecast says we will get severe thunderstorms tonight with 80% chance of rain, but I have not seen any of that yet.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It was thundering and lightening till about 2 this morning, rained like hell for a few hours.....went to the store about 4 and the temp was only 104, but really humid. Back to the grind tomorrow.....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But "free" makes "not the best I've had" just a little better. :)
Indeed...wasn't really mature, but the sun was cooking the hell out of this one so I tried it. The others are covered with vines from the other melons, if the sun doesn't kill the plants it can only get better.

Did you ever find you tomatoes?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah. Not red yet and I still haven't found the time to pull all those damn weeds. If it is still too wet to mow tomorrow, maybe I'll pull my hair out in the garden. Um, I meant "weeds." o_O

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't remember, but I think I might have got a few of those, but mostly I bought the kind that are large enough for sandwiches. I know I like the cherry maters on salads, but we also did not plant any lettuce, so.......

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't remember, but I think I might have got a few of those, but mostly I bought the kind that are large enough for sandwiches. I know I like the cherry maters on salads, but we also did not plant any lettuce, so.......
I picked a shitload of cherry tomatoes this afternoon, damn their tasty. That freaking plant must be 4-5 feet tall...and it's still producing like a sob.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How was your day, Rich?
Not too hot here... only made it up to 80, but I was too busy with other stuff to get anything done outside. Had to go to Faith and get another $100 of gas for the mower, stop in at Ironhorse to check on Bob (it will finally get inside the shop in a couple more days after a month of sitting outside), and pop into the grocery store for a couple gallons of ice cream. :)

Those severe thunderstorms and 80% chance of rain last night never happened, so I watered the garden. I really must get out there and pull weeds.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They have a a zillion things to work on and are short handed, but I should have it by the end of this month. That'll be enough time to move all the cow shit before it starts snowing again. :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They have a a zillion things to work on and are short handed, but I should have it by the end of this month. That'll be enough time to move all the cow shit before it starts snowing again. :)
I imagine if the outfit is good, they have LOTS of business. Just guessing, but probably not many folks would even want to tackle the job.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, they're good. Their shop is full of semi-trucks and all manner of heavy farm equipment and they have the tools to take anything apart and I've seen their grease monkeys working in places I could never reach... and frankly, would be afraid to try.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, they're good. Their shop is full of semi-trucks and all manner of heavy farm equipment and they have the tools to take anything apart and I've seen their grease monkeys working in places I could never reach... and frankly, would be afraid to try.
I can imagine, Rich....back in the old days there were lots of folk like this.....nowadays, not so much.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Faith is a small town (population less than 400) and their businesses service all the ranchers in about a 50 mile radius. You're either good or you're out of business. Yes, there are a couple jerk-off businesses, but they must have other incomes because you can see they have no customers. Ironhorse isn't one of those. These guys are covered in grease all day -- they're really into their work and bust their butts to do it right.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll bet you'll be glad to have that thing repaired once and for all. It would be nice to get through an entire winter without going nuts about snow removal.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll bet you'll be glad to have that thing repaired once and for all. It would be nice to get through an entire winter without going nuts about snow removal.
Given that Bob is 35 years old, I'm surprised it didn't go tits-up long before now. How many people own cars that old that are not in the shop on a regular basis, especially when they are used to push shit and snow all the time? I told him the primary "fixit" I want is that, regardless of the weather, it starts when I turn the key. I hope that will indeed be the result.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Given that Bob is 35 years old, I'm surprised it didn't go tits-up long before now. How many people own cars that old that are not in the shop on a regular basis, especially when they are used to push shit and snow all the time? I told him the primary "fixit" I want is that, regardless of the weather, it starts when I turn the key. I hope that will indeed be the result.
Yep, they sure don't build anything like they did 35 yrs ago...!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep, they sure don't build anything like they did 35 yrs ago...!
I know we have talked about this many times, but I still just do not understand today's lazy attitude and absolute lack of pride in workmanship. And the bigger the city those "workers" are in, the more obvious it is that they just don't give a rat's ass about quality. Many old pharts (like you and I) still have a "get it done right" attitude, but most people threw that by the wayside long ago. So sad...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I remember correctly, after the 90's everything went to hell. Can't buy anything of quality regardless how much you pay. When they began adding computers to everything, that was the downfall.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree that putting a computer into everything (including your phone) was a major step downhill, but is it the computer we should blame for the manufacturer's bad attitude? Something happened to the people.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You all need a pretty in here :teehee: Hope you don't mind
c42735676faa6feff4aced829b3ba92e.jpg
Inspects, Draconigena, and Jimi :wave:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bid a 100,000 sf shopping plaza last week, got the job today...wish it would of occurred when it's about 75-80F outside rather than 100+..........gonna be a long hot week ahead.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As I recall, back in the days when I got paid for my labor, a 40-hpur week was "normal," though there were many 50 and 60-hour weeks, but the bottom line was always because the money was good.

VU Sponsors