Old Pharts Club

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Does it have a corny looking Robbie the Robot type character? He was my favorite when I was a kid of course

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In a series 2 battery mod the wrapper is a BIG thing.
The case on one battery is the positive of the first battery and if the cases on the batteries make electrical contact very bad things happen. ie direct short for the first battery.
Also if the case of the mod is ground and the case of the second battery touches it, again bad things happen.
Could you draw that situation as a schematic (or simple wiring diagram) and post it here so I can see what you are talking about? I have lots of batteries with exposed metal and they have never been a problem, but then I don't use mechs.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could you draw that situation as a schematic (or simple wiring diagram) and post it here so I can see what you are talking about? I have lots of batteries with exposed metal and they have never been a problem, but then I don't use mechs.
Imagine 2 batteries side by side
In series one on the left with positive down the one on the right with negative down and connected at the bottom with a buss bar.
The negative case on the right battery become the same potential as the positive terminal on the left battery.
If the 2 batteries cases make electrical contact this shorts out the left hand battery.
Or if battery cases in a series configuration make electrical contact with the metal case of the mod which is usually at ground or negative potential there is also a short circuit.

In a tube mech the battery case making electrical contact with the metal tube of the mech will at best cause continual firing of the atty. Not a good thing in the old pocket.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I see your point, Crom, and I should have thought of this situation last night. I have just opened the battery doors on every mod in this house. As I said before, all of mine use a single battery, so this is not an issue. ALL of the mods, including Lannie's 2- and 3-battery mods, have plastic battery compartments, even if the outside of the mod is metal, so there can be no battery-to-case grounding. However, if ALL the wrap was stripped from both batteries so that the sides of the batteries touch each other, at least one battery will be shorted (as you state above). If that is a 2-in-series situation, the mod would only get half the voltage it needs and the other battery (the shorted one) could potentially flame out. Yes, that presents a problem, but there are a lot of IFs in this scenario. Both batteries would have to be missing sufficient wrap to be touching each other in such a manner as to create the short, OR the battery compartment would have to be conductive (e.g., metal, like a tube mech). If there are two or three batteries in parallel, however, they could all be completely naked and not be a problem because they all share a common ground.

In the pictures Choder posted, however, it was one battery with a scratch (not even completely open to the metal) and the other battery was OK, and even in series, there would not be a short. But, like you and Lucy both imply, (assuming the user does not understand electronics), better safe than sorry. However, I'll keep using my torn-wrap-batteries because, for my mods, there is no danger whatsoever of any shorting. And if they get really really bad, a piece of electrical tape supplies just as much insulation as the plastic shrink wraps.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see your point, Crom, and I should have thought of this situation last night. I have just opened the battery doors on every mod in this house. As I said before, all of mine use a single battery, so this is not an issue. ALL of the mods, including Lannie's 2- and 3-battery mods, have plastic battery compartments, even if the outside of the mod is metal, so there can be no battery-to-case grounding. However, if ALL the wrap was stripped from both batteries so that the sides of the batteries touch each other, at least one battery will be shorted (as you state above). If that is a 2-in-series situation, the mod would only get half the voltage it needs and the other battery (the shorted one) could potentially flame out. Yes, that presents a problem, but there are a lot of IFs in this scenario. Both batteries would have to be missing sufficient wrap to be touching each other in such a manner as to create the short, OR the battery compartment would have to be conductive (e.g., metal, like a tube mech). If there are two or three batteries in parallel, however, they could all be completely naked and not be a problem because they all share a common ground.

In the pictures Choder posted, however, it was one battery with a scratch (not even completely open to the metal) and the other battery was OK, and even in series, there would not be a short. But, like you and Lucy both imply, (assuming the user does not understand electronics), better safe than sorry. However, I'll keep using my torn-wrap-batteries because, for my mods, there is no danger whatsoever of any shorting. And if they get really really bad, a piece of electrical tape supplies just as much insulation as the plastic shrink wraps.
sure no problem.
I just tend to play it safe when advising anyone on battery safety.
The odds may be against shorting a battery but if it does short very bad things are likely to happen.
As is blow yer face or balls off, burn yer house down, etc.

with that said..... Early on in my vape life i used recycled laptop batteries for vaping.
I identified the batteries and their ratings and vaped within those boundaries in a 15 watt max Zmax mod.

Like Victor though I am an expert :)

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good morning OPs, changing the subject for a minute. Did anyone give a look-see to the new "Lost in Space" that was released on Netflix yesterday? I watched two episodes, not quite sure what to think. Have been having trouble watching TV lately anyway - reading has my attention more lately.

Hope everyone is well.
Didn’t even know about the new shows on the flix...

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
ADDENDUM TO MY ABOVE POST: I just remembered that last year sometime, when everyone was worried about the coming Vapeocolypse (did I spell that right?), we bought four tube mechs (brass-colored metal) for "just in case." So I just unscrewed the bottom, which is how you insert the battery, and checked out the connections. Those mods work the same way as a metal flashlight -- that is, the mod's case actually is the negative battery connection and there is a small (insulated) pin at the top of that metal compartment to touch the positive end of the battery. So, again, they are a single battery mod and it would be OK if the entire battery was stripped of its wrap - as long as that white ring was still in place.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ADDENDUM TO MY ABOVE POST: I just remembered that last year sometime, when everyone was worried about the coming Vapeocolypse (did I spell that right?), we bought four tube mechs (brass-colored metal) for "just in case." So I just unscrewed the bottom, which is how you insert the battery, and checked out the connections. Those mods work the same way as a metal flashlight -- that is, the mod's case actually is the negative battery connection and there is a small (insulated) pin at the top of that metal compartment to touch the positive end of the battery. So, again, they are a single battery mod and it would be OK if the entire battery was stripped of its wrap - as long as that white ring was still in place.
Nope they would fire all the time.
The switch on the bottom make contact between the negative end of the battery and the metal case completing the circuit.
if the negative case of the battery is electrically connected to the metal case it bypasses the switch causing continual firing.

And if like some you put the battery in with positive end down to the switch and the battery case shorts to ground you have an instant dead short when you press the switch.
I strongly recommend against putting the battery in with positive to the switch unless the mod has an insulating sleeve inside.
Otherwise you are pressing the switch and wondering why it is not firing the atty and then KAHBLOOEY in yer face.
With the battery in positive up and the battery case shorted to the mech tube as it just fires all the time. Easier to figure out and at least the battery has the atty resistance to drain thru instead of a dead short like I mentioned in the positive down scenario.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just tend to play it safe when advising anyone on battery safety.
As I should have because I am not familiar with the inner workings of Choder's specific mod. My big problem here is that there are a zillion people out there trying to bad-mouth vaping because of one danger or another, and because a few batteries were mishandled and started fires, they have made this into a HUGE issue, even though there have been far more cell phone and laptop accidents than have happened to vapers - we just got more Press. So, whenever possible, I try to educate people, but often fail to realize they don't know what we know (or their mods are built cheaper than ours).
Nope they would fire all the time.
The switch on the bottom make contact between the negative end of the battery and the metal case completing the circuit.
I don't know what the brand name of our mechs is (cheap knock off wanna be), but the fire button is not on the bottom. It is a push button on the side of the mod up near where the tank screws on (just like my flashlights) and activates the positive terminal of the battery. There are no electronics, so the vaping wattage is determined solely by the available battery voltage, which is why I call them "mechs."

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Does it have a corny looking Robbie the Robot type character? He was my favorite when I was a kid of course

It has a robot, several in fact, but by no means is it corny looking. It's deadly looking, at least to me.

There was a robot in Lost in Space, though, because it said "Danger, Will Robinson," as the remake one also does. I just don't remember much about it, seems like it was a boxy-looking silly thing, but I may be confusing my shows, too.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
There was a robot in Lost in Space, though, because it said "Danger, Will Robinson," as the remake one also does. I just don't remember much about it, seems like it was a boxy-looking silly thing, but I may be confusing my shows, too.

I loved that robot when I was a kid, lol

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone vapes caramel flavored juice? I got three 30 ml tubes that I’m trying to pass on.. don’t like the flavor.. figure I offer it up here first before I offer it in the PIF..
although I’m not sure the rules on sending “liquids” via usps...
6284012D-F5A8-4BD4-9200-6F079CDC7BA5.jpeg

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Idk batteries are so cheap now.. should never be an issue for anyone!
And you are entirely right, but some of us Old Pharts have so little income that we often resort to being cheap bastards. Some people will throw a battery away when it gets to the point in its life when it won't last all day. OK, I have a pile of a dozen 18650s, some of which are three years old, and if they only last 2-3 hours, I'll keep using them. I am very patient, don't get pissed about anything too easily (except politics), but that is something that comes with age and lack of readily available resources. I obviously do not fit in with the modern generation.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Still have some old samsungs I bought few years ago, and the LG brownies, they seem to last the longest.

My Samsungs have lasted a long time, too. I recently bought more because I don't vape with high power, but I wouldn't use a 25A battery if I was really putting a mod to the test. Maybe just overly cautious, but I had a battery overheat early on, and it scared me into paying really close attention.

I did get two different colors in (supposed) Samsung batteries over time. Some of them are blue and some are green.

Over the past couple of years, though, I've bought mostly Sonys.

ETA: You guys talking about electrical circuits are 'way above my head, but I will say one thing. If you ever have a mech in your hand and you feel it getting even slightly warm on the outside, stop firing it. If it doesn't keep getting hotter, take the battery out and throw it out the front door or in some vessel that will contain it until you see what it's going to do. If it's hot, set the whole thing down as far away from you as you can get it RIGHT NOW. Better for it to blow up or catch on fire on your floor than in your hand or near your face.

One other thing. Overtightening a battery inside a mech can cause the battery to overheat. This kind of junk is why I don't use mechs any more. The circuit on a mech with the firing button on the bottom has to be just so. I have had it happen twice that I was having trouble getting everything adjusted correctly, got impatient and overcorrected. As soon as I fired the thing, I could feel it warming up on the outside.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Anyone vapes caramel flavored juice? I got three 30 ml tubes that I’m trying to pass on.. don’t like the flavor.. figure I offer it up here first before I offer it in the PIF..
View attachment 108864
My mail lady tells be that they have to be wrapped in such a way as to not leak in the event the package gets squashed, so I have always put them inside a zip lock baggie surrounded by water-soluble peanuts. I like caramel. Want me to pay your postage?

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 108864

It’s partially used on some, as you see, and I’ll pick up the postage if anyone of you want it..

BDF90911-0641-4926-9483-44AC6D657952.jpeg

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My mail lady tells be that they have to be wrapped in such a way as to not leak in the event the package gets squashed, so I have always put them inside a zip lock baggie surrounded by water-soluble peanuts. I like caramel. Want me to pay your postage?

I got ya man.. let me Pm you for mailing information.. I’ll make sure it doesn’t leak when packaging it

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

That's exactly the way most of the juice I've ordered has come - or inside a ziplock bag and then wrapped in bubble wrap and basically covered with clear shipping tape. It's a lesson in patience trying to get into THAT. :)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
And you are entirely right, but some of us Old Pharts have so little income that we often resort to being cheap bastards. Some people will throw a battery away when it gets to the point in its life when it won't last all day. OK, I have pile of a dozen 18650s, some of which are three years old, and if they only last 2-3 hours, I'll keep using them.

I totally understand where you are coming from - I come from the "stretch it out, make do, go without" mentality - and also at times totally flout conventional safety advice I so freely give

Cromwell said his old batteries came back to life significantly after rewrapping

18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (50-Pack) - I can send you a dozen or so from my pack if need be :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
That's why there's always a very sharp knife on my person... nothing today, even my pain pills, can be opened by anyone EXCEPT a child.

Oh yes. Children are much underestimated.

Medications are a whole other conversation. I remember getting my prescriptions for diclofenac (for arthritis) in child-proof bottles. My arthritis isn't bad enough to make it difficult for me to open, but every time I saw that bottle, I'd think, now what kind of sense does that make? I guess the pharmacist has no way of knowing specifically what the anti-inflammatory is for. We've run into it, though, where it was a problem and we just didn't think about requesting regular bottles. My husband in his earlier work life was always hurting himself (he installed big overhead doors for many years). Several times he has seriously injured his hands, and would end up with pain meds in child-proof bottles. Good luck with that if no one else is home to help.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have only been privy to looking inside one laptop (ages ago) and it used a flat battery. How did you attach that to a mod? Or was your laptop different?

Most have 18650 cells inside of a plastic package with charging and protection circuits built in.

On the cell phones and laptops thing...
There are far more cell phones and laptops in use than there are vape mods.
But yes there is also the sensationalistic factor in reporting vape accidents. Most of which are caused by user error vs equipment failure.
Laptops are covered by safety regulations and have built in safety devices vape equipment is not covered by ANY regulations in the USA and has very few safety devices built in.
And that is why that most manufacturers (Sony, LG, Samsung) of Non protected high powered LI cells specify that they are only to be used in battery packs that have built in protections.

Industry only regulates itself when profits are threatened or are forced by regulations and threat of penalties.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I totally understand where you are coming from - I come from the "stretch it out, make do, go without" mentality - and also at times totally flout conventional safety advice I so freely give

Cromwell said his old batteries came back to life significantly after rewrapping

18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (50-Pack) - I can send you a dozen or so from my pack if need be :)
Thank you very much for the offer, Lucy. I have all manner of shrink-wrap tubing in the shop, left over from my electronics days, so if I ever decide I need to wrap one of these things, I'll just cut some to size and use my heat gun on it. Oh, and it is all black... :rolleyes:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
G'evening Pharts and happy weekend to all :D

Just getting caught up here and waiting for our ice storm to hit in earnest in the morning. All prepped and ready as we can be for it now other than a few 18650's left to charge. I have two Xtar double bay chargers and the old one I've been considering my spare is only firing one bay now. Going to toss it, get a new one and make my current 'new' one my spare. About time to get a charger that can do more than 1A anyway.

Off to do a little research on what's new in the world of chargers :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sorry I had to leave this morning's conversation so abruptly, but had to go out and crank up that old Bobcat and push all of yesterday's snow out of the way. Amazingly, even though it didn't get UP to freezing until sunset, the snow was melting rapidly (down several inches from yesterday) and that can only be because 1) the ground was warmer than the air and 2) we actually had a tad bit of sunshine today. Problem with #1 was that everywhere the skid-steer went, it churned up massive amounts of mud and gravel from under that snow, so when everything finally dries out, I will have to grade it to make it smooth again. But, hey, that's a lot better than than the Old Pharts tripping through sticky snow.

VU Sponsors