Become a Patron!

P4Y iPV3 150watt box mod in hand. < FIRST LOOKS >

Remember... there are two batteries..

2 batteries in series.... Again not gonna do it. Your best/safest bet is to remove the batteries and charge them in a real charger then replace them in opposite positions so you get even wear on the batteries. Label them A and B or 1 and 2 if it helps. So battery one is on the left two is on the right. Then after charging them put them back in with battery one on the right and two on the left. Switch them like that every time you remove them and charge them.

BabyFartsMcGeezax

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok... I'm glad we have an **electrical engineer here to summarize the wiring&components involved with this mod..

Thanks for the advice.

Edit-**deleted and reworded just a smidge.

Last edited:
Maybe the firmware update that they claim will happen will include activated the touch sensor probly just wishful thinking on my part
No such luck I dug in to my ipv3 to see about the touch sensor there is no touch sensor at all it is just a plastic cover that looks like the touch sensor the new charging style took place of the touch sensor.

Hey everyone! Just found you guys in an attempt to track down some sort of case for my ipv3. I purchased it yesterday at Vapercon 5 and for the first 24 hours of owning it, I will say that I love it. The only thing that kinda sucks is the charger, or lack thereof. I prefer to pull them out to charge them then swap spots anyways, but for on the go, it would be nice to have. I know the ipv3's are new to the market but has anyone seen anywhere selling cases (silicone or hard plastic) for them? It seems to be built decent enough but after having a beast of a VTR for my last box mod, I kinda want some added protection. Anything at all? Or maybe even custom built cases? Fingers crossed, thanks guys!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone! Just found you guys in an attempt to track down some sort of case for my ipv3. I purchased it yesterday at Vapercon 5 and for the first 24 hours of owning it, I will say that I love it. The only thing that kinda sucks is the charger, or lack thereof. I prefer to pull them out to charge them then swap spots anyways, but for on the go, it would be nice to have. I know the ipv3's are new to the market but has anyone seen anywhere selling cases (silicone or hard plastic) for them? It seems to be built decent enough but after having a beast of a VTR for my last box mod, I kinda want some added protection. Anything at all? Or maybe even custom built cases? Fingers crossed, thanks guys!

I have brought up a few times that i also would like to see a heavier duty case for these types of mods , the vinyl wraps don't do it for me (especially the prices they charge) decoration or not , no thanks .

There's billions of heavier duty cell phone cases for phones lets see some for these lol, then again they are replaced so quickly with new mods so who knows.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would like to see them eliminate the touch sensor fire button altogether and that long window on the side , i would like to see a little larger screen as well .

I am not sure how many more times people will continue to put up with P4u 's crap though , they are really making it easy for people to walk away.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm on the fence about ordering one of these ..using mechs this would definitely be my first VW device..how long do those batteries last, say using a .25 ohm RDA? I read it uses screws for the battery plate and I hate screws, (I always seem to loose them) but I did read about an easy magnet swap somewhere
online..do you think its worthy of $140-$150 they want for it?
If so, why ? Just trying to make up my mind getting one..thx

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hope they can offer different springs for 510, so my atomizers can have a gap with a good grip on the atty..

What's the deal with that anyway?

I set my temperature sensor off a few times when my atomizers were flush on IPV2..makes sense to keep a nice gap..
Most of my RDA's have a adjustable protruding pin for use on my mechs with the hybrid top caps..I wonder if I could establish that needed gap on the IPV3 extending them out as far as they can go? Just s thought as I'm still making mind up getting one these box mods..lol

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No way i would pay $140.00 -$150.00 for it , for around $100.00 many think it's worth it though. An iPV 4 will be out very very shortly though . So many good box mods out now for cheaper than $100.00 . Sig is real nice

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No way i would pay $140.00 -$150.00 for it , for around $100.00 many think it's worth it though. An iPV 4 will be out very very shortly though . So many good box mods out now for cheaper than $100.00 . Sig is real nice
Well after reading your post I just ordered a IPV3 from AtoZ Vapor for $109...no sales tax and free shipping convinced me that was a fair price..says they have it in stock too....thanks for your post..

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well after reading your post I just ordered a IPV3 from AtoZ Vapor for $109...no sales tax and free shipping convinced me that was a fair price..says they have it in stock too....thanks for your post..

That price sounds fine and as long as your OK with it then it's a good pickup , unfortunately i think you still have to buy the update/charger cord or whatever it is as an accessory which is BS to me .

Every mod should come with everything thats associated with it's usage, period . Again just my opinion.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That price sounds fine and as long as your OK with it then it's a good pickup , unfortunately i think you still have to buy the update/charger cord or whatever it is as an accessory which is BS to me .

Every mod should come with everything thats associated with it's usage, period . Again just my opinion.
The new ones have the charger port blocked by a metal piece, my carbon fiber one has it and it looks kinda good, some I think no longer have it at all. I'm not sure that the charger hardware is still even present. It's unsafe to charge batteries in series in a device is what I've read. It can't balance the charging I believe.

I love my IPV3. The screws are the only downside, but really aren't a big deal. @smacksy I'd just swap the hex screws out for the Phillips screws it comes with immediately. I have a million little screwdrivers from all of my attys etc... I always have one handy. The thing rocks. I've been really enjoying it. I'm sure the Sigs are nice, all the reviews can't be wrong, but this is a nice device, too. I think it got a bad rep from pre order people expecting things it didn't deliver on, charging and touch sensor. You know they don't exist, so it shouldn't be an issue. You'll be pleased.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I didn't think the 330 did but this is a newer version and did see it goes down to 1v. If it in fact does. I think I need one.
didja get one curly ? I just got one from the wife for x-mas. love this thing.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Sounds great! I just ordered one and after reading all these posts I can't wait for it to get here! Lol
I've been on mech mods for over a year. I had some lava tubes and stuff before that but nothing like this. I cant compare it to anything because Ive never had anything similar but so far it holding up to the abuse I give my mods lol. already dropped it a couple times. no problem. its pretty sturdy. Im actually a pretty boring vaper. I used to be in the cloud chasing group but now its kayfuns and 1.2 ohm coils. the way I vape my batteries last almost 2 days. pretty sweet since I was used to changing batteries 4 times a day because I hate voltage drop lol. this fixed that.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've been on mech mods for over a year. I had some lava tubes and stuff before that but nothing like this. I cant compare it to anything because Ive never had anything similar but so far it holding up to the abuse I give my mods lol. already dropped it a couple times. no problem. its pretty sturdy. Im actually a pretty boring vaper. I used to be in the cloud chasing group but now its kayfuns and 1.2 ohm coils. the way I vape my batteries last almost 2 days. pretty sweet since I was used to changing batteries 4 times a day because I hate voltage drop lol. this fixed that.
Kayfuns at 1.2 are my exact style as well, 20-30 watts is so incredible, I barely touch my mechs now. Such a warm tasty vape.

I just got a Mutation X V2 and built a .65 dual. At 85 watts it's insane. Dialed back to 30 and closed off some airflow, still chucking clouds, but much better flavor.

What batteries are you using @wllmc and how low are you running them? Also what wattage. I run LG HE2's and I change daily, usually at around 3.6-3.7 volts. I don't like running lower. Curious to hear your batts and volts upon changing. I love my LG's for mechs, but have been underwhelmed in the IPV3. I think I change em' a bit early maybe.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The new ones have the charger port blocked by a metal piece, my carbon fiber one has it and it looks kinda good, some I think no longer have it at all. I'm not sure that the charger hardware is still even present. It's unsafe to charge batteries in series in a device is what I've read. It can't balance the charging I believe.

I love my IPV3. The screws are the only downside, but really aren't a big deal. @smacksy I'd just swap the hex screws out for the Phillips screws it comes with immediately. I have a million little screwdrivers from all of my attys etc... I always have one handy. The thing rocks. I've been really enjoying it. I'm sure the Sigs are nice, all the reviews can't be wrong, but this is a nice device, too. I think it got a bad rep from pre order people expecting things it didn't deliver on, charging and touch sensor. You know they don't exist, so it shouldn't be an issue. You'll be pleased.
The new new ones are not even plugged there simply is not a hole there in the shell. There is an aftermarket charging board from yihi that is suppose to be safe to install and use but I have had my ipv3 in hand since Oct and have never needed to charge through the device. Take a minute swap out the batts and back on the fog. My ipv3 has never given me any concern when it comes to function. Since the days of the preorder most everyone knows what they are actually getting so there are no longer any surprises. At 100-110 $ it is a great device with a consistent chip imo.

Yes the preorder is where most of the complaints came from. When I got on the preorder it was suppose to come with a charging cord and a working touch sensor. Then midway the cord was off the table. Then after it was shipped to me eciggity announced that the touch sensor was non functioning. I have gotten passed all those issues but the touch sensor is why I spent a little bit more and do not have a Sig 100 sitting here. All in all my ipv3 is not perfect but it functions great and I am happy with it, but I am also usually under 50w so my ipv3 is not usually under strain.

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Kayfuns at 1.2 are my exact style as well, 20-30 watts is so incredible, I barely touch my mechs now. Such a warm tasty vape.

I just got a Mutation X V2 and built a .65 dual. At 85 watts it's insane. Dialed back to 30 and closed off some airflow, still chucking clouds, but much better flavor.

What batteries are you using @wllmc and how low are you running them? Also what wattage. I run LG HE2's and I change daily, usually at around 3.6-3.7 volts. I don't like running lower. Curious to hear your batts and volts upon changing. I love my LG's for mechs, but have been underwhelmed in the IPV3. I think I change em' a bit early maybe.
I use the purple efest batteries. 2500 mah. I have some other purple efest that say they are 3100mah, not sure I believe it but thats what they say they are. Ive always used the efest or sony batteries. I put the current set Im am using in yesterday about this time and they are half drained. they will probably last the rest of the day and ill charge them tonight. im at half the watts you are. on my kayfun I like it at 14w. I know Im boring lol. on a dripper im around 25-30w

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I use the purple efest batteries. 2500 mah. I have some other purple efest that say they are 3100mah, not sure I believe it but thats what they say they are. Ive always used the efest or sony batteries. I put the current set Im am using in yesterday about this time and they are half drained. they will probably last the rest of the day and ill charge them tonight. im at half the watts you are. on my kayfun I like it at 14w. I know Im boring lol. on a dripper im around 25-30w
Those should be the same batteries. Efest re wraps the LG's. If your at 50% after a day, and at half my wattage, give or take some variables sounds about equal. I don't tend to run them much past 50% if at all past it.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Those should be the same batteries. Efest re wraps the LG's. If your at 50% after a day, and at half my wattage, give or take some variables sounds about equal. I don't tend to run them much past 50% if at all past it.
is it not a good idea to run them down that far ?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When mine finally arrives I plan to run the Atlantis on it first..
This sub tank Vapes OK on my mech but maybe I could get it to hit better when I can bump up the power some..what do you guys think?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
When mine finally arrives I plan to run the Atlantis on it first..
This sub tank Vapes OK on my mech but maybe I could get it to hit better when I can bump up the power some..what do you guys think?
that was also another gift I got from a friend lol. Ive heard good and bad about it. I havent used those style tanks and atty's in a long time but I was impressed by it. blew away any kanger tank Ive ever had. maybe I just got a some good coils with it but I really liked it.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that was also another gift I got from a friend lol. Ive heard good and bad about it. I havent used those style tanks and atty's in a long time but I was impressed by it. blew away any kanger tank Ive ever had. maybe I just got a some good coils with it but I really liked it.
Its funny you should say that..Mine was also a gift from my brother. Lol
At first I was getting an raspy hit until I changed out the coil for a new one I bought sperate in a 5 pack.. Hits like my kayfun flavor wise but lacks at little still cloud wise..might be a good matchup with this IPV3 when it gets here..least I hope so...lol

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Does anybody use a USB charger with any success on the IPV3?
the usb is only for software updates. the charger is a round charger adapter on top. I havent used it because it didnt come with a charger lol. I think you can find one online for a decent price.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
is it not a good idea to run them down that far ?

The normally recommended lowest voltage you should let your batteries go to is 3.4v ... any lower is hard on the batteries and limits their potential lifetime. Some users are a bit more cautious and don't take them down that far even... the halfway point is 3.7v which is the nominal value the battery has ( also called it's storage charge if you were going to not use them for some time and leave them on the shelf so to speak )

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
The normally recommended lowest voltage you should let your batteries go to is 3.4v ... any lower is hard on the batteries and limits their potential lifetime. Some users are a bit more cautious and don't take them down that far even... the halfway point is 3.7v which is the nominal value the battery has ( also called it's storage charge if you were going to not use them for some time and leave them on the shelf so to speak )
thanks

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I've read the IPV3 has a touch sensor...what exactly is that and how does it work? What is it supposed to do?

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I've read the IPV3 has a touch sensor...what exactly is that and how does it work? What is it supposed to do?

It's just a different firing switch that is touch sensitive. Like most touch sensitive stuff... they can be iffy if the moisture/conductivity of your skin is a bit low... like when your hands are overly dry.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This... I don't like taking mine below 50%, or 3.6-3.7. Partial charges extend the lifespan of a battery. I need a third pair I think because of my charging habits.

@smacksy there is not a functional touch sensor, nor a charge port. They changed those things up. It's not safe to charge batteries in series in the device anyway, and I presume that's why it's gone. Your one on the way will likely have the charge port blocked, or not there at all.

You're gonna like it man! I'm really pleased with it, my mechs are lonely now.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks nan! Can't wait for mine to get here,!
I'm excited for you, lol. I just got a Mutation X V2 in the mail and built a .65 dual coil. Highest I vaped is 105, I've settled around 40-50. I'm a RTA guy, but I might be a convert... This thing is fucking insane. When I get some thicker wire I'm gonna do a .3 build just so I can try the full wattage. Even 30-40-50 is a fog machine. Haven't tried it on my mechs, but .65 is around 27 watts on a full charge I believe. Tanks, drippers, they're all great on this thing.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This... I don't like taking mine below 50%, or 3.6-3.7. Partial charges extend the lifespan of a battery. I need a third pair I think because of my charging habits.

@smacksy there is not a functional touch sensor, nor a charge port. They changed those things up. It's not safe to charge batteries in series in the device anyway, and I presume that's why it's gone. Your one on the way will likely have the charge port blocked, or not there at all.

You're gonna like it man! I'm really pleased with it, my mechs are lonely now.

I never take mine down past 3.7 , these types of batteries will last considerably longer if you charge them before getting too low as you said . Same goes for mods with built in batteries like the MVP and Istick , you can nearly double their life by charging early and not draining them on a regular basis.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I never take mine down past 3.7 , these types of batteries will last considerably longer if you charge them before getting too low as you said . Same goes for mods with built in batteries like the MVP and Istick , you can nearly double their life by charging early and not draining them on a regular basis.
Yup, in mechs I find myself charging at about 3.8 the lowest. I'm all for extending life, and 3.7 is about as low as I'll go. I do need another pair of batteries so I always have two charged waiting for me. Probably gonna order some here soon.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not going below 3.7v is overly cautious when it comes to battery lifetime concerns... this has been well vetting information concerning lithium based batteries. That aside... I know when I was vaping on a mech mod... the vape quality would drop off considerably for me at the 3.8v-3.9v range and I'd also recharge at that point.

There is nothing wrong with recharging before the battery drops to the 3.4v area... it's just not required in order to keep the potential lifespan of the battery. I myself will recharge when I get the time to or at the end of the day in prep for the next day... but I always avoid going below the 3.4v if at all possible although at times I have gone further when I couldn't recharge sooner even though I know it's harder on the battery.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not going below 3.7v is overly cautious when it comes to battery lifetime concerns... this has been well vetting information concerning lithium based batteries. That aside... I know when I was vaping on a mech mod... the vape quality would drop off considerably for me at the 3.8v-3.9v range and I'd also recharge at that point.

There is nothing wrong with recharging before the battery drops to the 3.4v area... it's just not required in order to keep the potential lifespan of the battery. I myself will recharge when I get the time to or at the end of the day in prep for the next day... but I always avoid going below the 3.4v if at all possible although at times I have gone further when I couldn't recharge sooner even though I know it's harder on the battery.

I'm an overly cautious guy lol. I don't go below 3.7 because that is what i was told numerous times from people who know a hell of a lot more than me about batteries .

Thats what i also read from Battery Universities website on getting the longest possible life out of these types of batteries.

I don't doubt your correct in your comments but i go with what has proven to work for me so i stick with it.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm an overly cautious guy lol. I don't go below 3.7 because that is what i was told numerous times from people who know a hell of a lot more than me about batteries .

Thats what i also read from Battery Universities website on getting the longest possible life out of these types of batteries.

I don't doubt your correct in your comments but i go with what has proven to work for me so i stick with it.
Sounds like me, lol. If I'm near a charger and will be for long enough to charge I pull em earlier than needed. I also only have a Nitecore i4, and alternate sleds 1 and 3 for each charge with my married pairs. I only charge the pairs alone, so they're getting .5 amps a piece. It takes almost an hour per .1 volts of recharging, so draining too far and I'm stuck near my charger too long. I might pick up an Xtar 2 bay for my married batts, then I can charge at 1 amp each.

Spinhat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got a Sigelei 150w box in the mail today, so far I like it better than my two IPV3's

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got my second IPV3 today
This one is silver from AtoZ vapor..I like my black one so much I couldn't resist getting another, especially for $109 and free shipping..And to think I thought my mechs were the cats meow! Lol..
c8f143c77a535d2cb7a527627673f7fd.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wildwildwest

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No magnets (YET) but it seems like it would be an easier modification than the ipv2 would be. They did use some very good quality hex (i think that is the term) screws (and a tool included). They also included two larger phillips heads to swap out as well (which i might do)

Immediately after purchase, the VERY first time I tried to take the top hex screw out to put in a new battery, it stripped. I replaced them with the enclosed phillips head screws pronto.

VU Sponsors