Become a Patron!

Pocket knife was bought into sons school

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't know..like I said every boy I went to school with, and these were barrio schools carried a knife..and fighting was a daily occurence...but we didn't have this crazy shit going on...I think weapons are far less dangerous than the drugs being taken by parents and the drugs forced onto kids to keep them "normal"...the drugs being given to kids by the so called menatl health proffesionals are extremely dangerous.

Absolutely but u put a weapon into a mentally unstable persons hand and that's a recipe for disaster not that I'm saying this kid is on medication but seems like they should be looked at by someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Absolutely but u put a weapon into a mentally unstable persons hand and that's a recipe for disaster not that I'm saying this kid is on medication but seems like they should be looked at by someone

I'd be wondering if they have him on some fucked up ADD bullshit like Riddlin or what ever the fucked up shit they're pushing these days.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'd be wondering if they have him on some fucked up ADD bullshit like Riddlin or what ever the fucked up shit they're pushing these days.

Who knows bro? He is not my responsibility that's his parents job. Like you have your kid do something like this you have to deal with the consequences. If it was vice versa with me. I would have to deal with the consequences. I just don't like how this situation is being handled.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
...back when I was a kid, being a thug was kind of a phase some boys went through..it was frowned upon but it was in some way expected, but once you graduated from high school that shit was no longer tolerated...eventually if you became too much of a pain in the ass, or a threat to the public peace, a couple of the men would eventually take you out and give you a real beating, that was usually enough to deliver an epiphany and like Saul on the road to Damascus you saw the light.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Who knows bro? He is not my responsibility that's his parents job. Like you have your kid do something like this you have to deal with the consequences. If it was vice versa with me. I would have to deal with the consequences. I just don't like how this situation is being handled.

have you ever met the kids parents.?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not and they live close to my house. I will meet them at school for first time next week

I live in a smallish community and in my daughters high school a kid ...who in all fairness was smart as hell and mentally imbalanced....got to stalking one of the girls in school...he was angry at her for not wanting to date him.....his dad called the girls parents and told them he had heard about what was going on from the school and that he told his son he was not allowed to ever again even speak to the girls or to in anyway make her uncomfortable..the school counslers told him the same thing..if he ever harassed her again he was out of school.The father knew his son was a problem and was trying to take resposiblity for it....on the other hand my wife is a teacher in a public school, and there are parents who absolutely refuse to take any responsibility for their child..they view it as societies role to raise their amazingly unique and gifted little prince.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I live in a smallish community and in my daughters high school a kid ...who in all fairness was smart as hell and mentally imbalanced....got to stalking one of the girls in school...he was angry at her for not wanting to date him.....his dad called the girls parents and told them he had heard about what was going on from the school and that he told his son he was not allowed to ever again even speak to the girls or to in anyway make her uncomfortable..the school counslers told him the same thing..if he ever harassed her again he was out of school.The father knew his son was a problem and was trying to take resposiblity for it....on the other hand my wife is a teacher in a public school, and there are parents who absolutely refuse to take any responsibility for their child..they view it as societies role to raise their amazingly unique and gifted little prince.

I don't know how his parents are. They could be greatest parents in world or worst parents. I don't know that situation. Unfortunately I can't go over there and ask to speak to them. Then turn around saying things. I don't want to take that chance since I don't know them. Some people can be super sensitive

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know how his parents are. They could be greatest parents in world or worst parents. I don't know that situation. Unfortunately I can't go over there and ask to speak to them. Then turn around saying things. I don't want to take that chance since I don't know them. Some people can be super sensitive

the kid I was talking about in my daughter's high school..the parents had known each other;s kids since kindergaten...I think that is why the parents were willing to try and work together, but if someone was not willing to rien in their kid or made excuses for them ...then I'd say fuck them their kid can rot in jail, before I'd allow them to be a threat to my kid.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the kid I was talking about in my daughter's high school..the parents had known each other;s kids since kindergaten...I think that is why the parents were willing to try and work together, but if someone was not willing to rien in their kid or made excuses for them ...then I'd say fuck them their kid can rot in jail, before I'd allow them to be a threat to my kid.

Yea man. If you read my opening post. The principal told me exact words the parents do not deny the child having a knife but they deny he made the comments he made. Crazy. So what there saying yea he had a knife but he didn't make any comment yet it's on report all the witnesses had same account of what happened.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well i would bring a copy of the current school code of conduct and your copy's of witness statements to this meeting.
1. hold the school accountable for not properly following the rules and examples set forth in the code of conduct.
2. request that this kid not be in the same class or on the same bus as your child ever again.
3. don't talk to or about the parenting or lack thereof while in the meeting - Speak facts which are backed up by the code of conduct and the proven facts thru the witness statement.

Above all else Keep the kids home or in class. Don't engage the other parents only talk to the school reps and respond to them only...Something else to keep in mind the parents could be the reason why that child is so violent.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It stems mostly from the lack of discipline these kids receive at home.

Agree with that fully. Children now are not taught responsibility either. As an example I have a sixteen year old nephew who apparently cannot bring a wheelbarrow load of firewood down to the house from the shed barn, about sixty to seventy five yards away if that. He pitched a fit last week that he had fallen, shouted for help and carried on but nobody helped him.

I was outside at the time and fairly well behind him about ninety percent of that. He never fell and if he shouted out for help, I never heard it. Yet he comes storming and cussing into the house. Told my wife "eff that, I'll not ever ask him or his parents for anything again." The parents allowed such behavior and now the attitude is "oh but he's so special as to enjoy the heat from the wood stove but not pitch in even a tiny bit".

Not a thing at all wrong with him that I feel a swift kick wouldn't solve. But "oh, your abusing your child", then. No, it's discipline when done in effort to offer corrective measure and only that, no anger just something to get attention, cause thought. He's of an age too where learning to help out family, be responsible would be important to learn. Even his ten year old brother is of that age too. Not holding my breath to see that happen.

every kid I went to school with carried a knife to school..we didn't go around stabbing each other...we all had guns at home and we didn't shoot each other..we just beat the hell out of each other....

We grew up in a time and era removed so much as to be alien to this current one. I recall the boys during high school bringing guns in their pickups during deer season. They were always up in the back window racks, actions opened and obviously unloaded, trucks locked up as the boys come into school. Near everyone I knew carried pocket knives too. At worst, pocket knives were used to scrape dirt from finger nails, cut tape/string. Like you we never stabbed or shot each other. No, we stomped one another instead.

Also read the above. Not one to exactly agree in whole that we've become a generation of entitlement, yet I can see how there is a lot of that going on. Our generation needs to reflect and cull out this seed of "gimme gimme" too. Sure, I agree a fellow what genuinely needs help ought to be helped. I also agree though that fellow ought to at least be trying to help himself, pardon my use of intended gender neutral phrasing in the word fellow.

I'm not politically right, nor am I politically left. *grin* Hell, I ain't politically nothing. If anyone gets off ended by my manner, words, then so what? You're off ended, get over it, I already did. I'm often off ended by the tripe read online. Again, so what? We keep on living, learning, loving, laughing. I try staying moderately level in communicating but the core self of me will remain the core self of me regardless. You don't need to read my words if you don't want, nor I yours. That's the beauty of the Inter Tubes. :)

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My grandmother is in her 80's, she worked for a local school. And as she says," every parent thinks their child is a saint". Some people are blind to it. It is pretty crazy they just suspended him. In highschool i got suspended and expelled on the same day. While i was getting suspended for parking in the staff lot the day prior (showed up a period late and the closest parking spot was a 20 minute walk because my school had over 3000 kids) the vice principal walks in and says theres no need for that he's being expelled for truancy. :grumpy: Thats my luck, get expelled for skipping on a day i show up.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agree with that fully. Children now are not taught responsibility either. As an example I have a sixteen year old nephew who apparently cannot bring a wheelbarrow load of firewood down to the house from the shed barn, about sixty to seventy five yards away if that. He pitched a fit last week that he had fallen, shouted for help and carried on but nobody helped him.

I was outside at the time and fairly well behind him about ninety percent of that. He never fell and if he shouted out for help, I never heard it. Yet he comes storming and cussing into the house. Told my wife "eff that, I'll not ever ask him or his parents for anything again." The parents allowed such behavior and now the attitude is "oh but he's so special as to enjoy the heat from the wood stove but not pitch in even a tiny bit".

Not a thing at all wrong with him that I feel a swift kick wouldn't solve. But "oh, your abusing your child", then. No, it's discipline when done in effort to offer corrective measure and only that, no anger just something to get attention, cause thought. He's of an age too where learning to help out family, be responsible would be important to learn. Even his ten year old brother is of that age too. Not holding my breath to see that happen.

We grew up in a time and era removed so much as to be alien to this current one. I recall the boys during high school bringing guns in their pickups during deer season. They were always up in the back window racks, actions opened and obviously unloaded, trucks locked up as the boys come into school. Near everyone I knew carried pocket knives too. At worst, pocket knives were used to scrape dirt from finger nails, cut tape/string. Like you we never stabbed or shot each other. No, we stomped one another instead.

Also read the above. Not one to exactly agree in whole that we've become a generation of entitlement, yet I can see how there is a lot of that going on. Our generation needs to reflect and cull out this seed of "gimme gimme" too. Sure, I agree a fellow what genuinely needs help ought to be helped. I also agree though that fellow ought to at least be trying to help himself, pardon my use of intended gender neutral phrasing in the word fellow.

I'm not politically right, nor am I politically left. *grin* Hell, I ain't politically nothing. If anyone gets off ended by my manner, words, then so what? You're off ended, get over it, I already did. I'm often off ended by the tripe read online. Again, so what? We keep on living, learning, loving, laughing. I try staying moderately level in communicating but the core self of me will remain the core self of me regardless. You don't need to read my words if you don't want, nor I yours. That's the beauty of the Inter Tubes. :)
I remember the days when you brought a pocket knife with you to school. Now, it seems that a pencil can be considered a weapon. We used to be able to coexist as human and it seems that kids have devolved to a state of ignorance.

It partially is the fault of these pacifist parents (which is in part the fault of these "child protection" organizations scaring parents not to discipline their kids. It truly makes me sick.

Until more parents grow a pair, this will be a vicious, never-ending cycle.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I remember the days when you brought a pocket knife with you to school. Now, it seems that a pencil can be considered a weapon. We used to be able to coexist as human and it seems that kids have devolved to a state of ignorance.

It partially is the fault of these pacifist parents (which is in part the fault of these "child protection" organizations scaring parents not to discipline their kids. It truly makes me sick.

Fuck that dude. As far as I'm concerned it's a parents job to make sure they kids know right from wrong. And as long as they under my roof and pay this mortgage, have food in there mouth and clothes on their back. my kids respect my wife and I. But also know we have there backs if something happens. Your correct these agency are there for a reason but sometimes it's wrong reason. Allowing these kids to run around acting out and up is not right. I'm that parent that will tell a teacher, one day of detention is not enough give them more. I'm that parent that hey if ur kid is wrong. U better go apologize. But also don't be a punching bag just so u don't get into trouble. I don't mess around man. But when it comes to his safety that's priority.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the point is banning knives from school really doesn't address the problem..in fact it encourages it,by refusing to address the real problem..how is it for generations in our country no boy past the age of 11 went to school without a knife in his pocket, and yet never thought for a minute to use it against another human being...and now,where we have brats bringing weapons to school for the express purpose of harming other human beings....and I really don't buy this shit these kids are having problems...in other generations people had to deal with far more, they dealt with child abuse, alcoholisim,menatl illness, abandonment,extreme poverty ect...I agree in some way with MyMagicMist...we infantize our childeren for to long, we allow them to be childeren their whole lives, as a society we don't demand them to take more personal responsiblity for their actions as they age...to the point now where we have morons allowed to be overgrown boys getting overgrown girls pregnant and raising childeren as void of personal responsibility as they are....
MyMagicMist talks about his 16 year old nephew throwing a fit because he had to carry a load of firewood into the house...at 16 I had to spend a good part of the fall going up into the moutains and cutting ,splitting and hauling enough firewood to warm the house through winter,,,then having to bring it into the house in the middle of snowy nights....I've listened to the stories of my father's and grandfather's generation and the shit they went through as kids made me ashamed to gripe about a a few lousy weeks of work a dozen blisters and a sore back.
blaming an inatimate object like a knife or a gun for the crimes of a free human being..is to purposelly ignore and enable the real disease.

Last edited:

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think the point is banning knives from school really doesn't address the problem..in fact it encourages it,by refusing to address the real problem..how is it for generations in our country no boy past the age of 11 went to school without a knife in his pocket, and yet never thought for a minute to use it against another human being...and now,where we have brats bringing weapons to school for the express purpose of harming other human beings....and I really don't buy this shit these kids are having problems...in other generations people had to deal with far more, they dealt with child abuse, alcoholisim,menatl illness, abandonment,extreme poverty ect...I agree in some way with MyMagicMist...we infantize our childeren for to long, we allow them to be childeren their whole lives, as a society we don't demand them to take more personal responsiblity for their actions as they age...to the point now where we have morons allowed to be overgrown boys getting overgrown girls pregnant and raising childeren as void of personal responsibility as they are....

True but when do you let your kid be a kid and then show them how to be a man. You know. I make sure mine knows when it's time to get busy and when it's time for him to be a kid.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

During WW I the government in sending an armed force out into the world to fight took away the older brothers as each man bore honor for their first born sons to go and fight. In WW II that armed force took away the fathers who now held vengeance searing their hearts for loss of their sons. WW II also took away mothers who now were required to pull double duty as mama and papa bringing in an income to support the family. Then came Vietnam which took the younger brothers & also enlisted younger sisters as nurses, cooks, doctors, mechanics, operations. We get to Desert Storm and all that is left is ghosts of what has been sent on before in each war every twenty or so years.

Sometime between WW I & WW II "The Powers That Think They Be" come up with a scheme, a fraud to keep the game afoot. It was packaged up nicely to re-brand fascist socialism and collectivism, dubbed The New Deal. Old Man Gubmint he might help you but you got to keep serving as that armed force, or you go on work details and chain gangs as part of the "Deal", and any of your progeny are forfeit to the same self serving "Deal". Try to stop them from having your offspring? They'll send in CPS (Child Protective Services) and even if you're not harming the children you'll be charged with doing just that. Need an example or few "The Powers That Think They Be" ask us. Well, they say look at Whiskey Rebellion, Ruby Ridge, Waco to see how Gubmint treats those who exercise freedom.

Yes, it's no wonder parents are in fear of disciplining children. Even the children now, are snitches to Gubmint on their parents. Little Johnny at any moment could claim you touched him "in that way" and he would feel safer growing up with strangers> Since the child is already Gubmint property it is perfectly logical Little Sally too will taken with Little Johnny and raised by the State, while the parents are shipped off to the salt mines, the high rise offices, the factor floors, the killing fields.

Well, it'll be what it'll be I suppose. Seems a lot are starting to see that the grand experiment has gone awry and proves fruitless. Might be too late though because we would need to use ghosts of ghosts to stand up to Gubmint and most of us are too tired, hurt, destroyed inside from the corruption without, we cannot stand any longer even would that we try.

Excuse me, need to get my day started. Round up dogs, feed, firewood. *sighs* Run 'er slow my friend. :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
During WW I the government in sending an armed force out into the world to fight took away the older brothers as each man bore honor for their first born sons to go and fight. In WW II that armed force took away the fathers who now held vengeance searing their hearts for loss of their sons. WW II also took away mothers who now were required to pull double duty as mama and papa bringing in an income to support the family. Then came Vietnam which took the younger brothers & also enlisted younger sisters as nurses, cooks, doctors, mechanics, operations. We get to Desert Storm and all that is left is ghosts of what has been sent on before in each war every twenty or so years.

Sometime between WW I & WW II "The Powers That Think They Be" come up with a scheme, a fraud to keep the game afoot. It was packaged up nicely to re-brand fascist socialism and collectivism, dubbed The New Deal. Old Man Gubmint he might help you but you got to keep serving as that armed force, or you go on work details and chain gangs as part of the "Deal", and any of your progeny are forfeit to the same self serving "Deal". Try to stop them from having your offspring? They'll send in CPS (Child Protective Services) and even if you're not harming the children you'll be charged with doing just that. Need an example or few "The Powers That Think They Be" ask us. Well, they say look at Whiskey Rebellion, Ruby Ridge, Waco to see how Gubmint treats those who exercise freedom.

Yes, it's no wonder parents are in fear of disciplining children. Even the children now, are snitches to Gubmint on their parents. Little Johnny at any moment could claim you touched him "in that way" and he would feel safer growing up with strangers> Since the child is already Gubmint property it is perfectly logical Little Sally too will taken with Little Johnny and raised by the State, while the parents are shipped off to the salt mines, the high rise offices, the factor floors, the killing fields.

Well, it'll be what it'll be I suppose. Seems a lot are starting to see that the grand experiment has gone awry and proves fruitless. Might be too late though because we would need to use ghosts of ghosts to stand up to Gubmint and most of us are too tired, hurt, destroyed inside from the corruption without, we cannot stand any longer even would that we try.

Excuse me, need to get my day started. Round up dogs, feed, firewood. *sighs* Run 'er slow my friend. :)
ah man the little cretins get all the press, but there are still shitloads of kids being raised well.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
MyMagicMist talks about his 16 year old nephew throwing a fit because he had to carry a load of firewood into the house...at 16 I had to spend a good part of the fall going up into the moutains and cutting ,splitting and hauling enough firewood to warm the house through winter,,,then having to bring it into the house in the middle of snowy nights....I've listened to the stories of my father's and grandfather's generation and the shit they went through as kids made me ashamed to gripe about a a few lousy weeks of work a dozen blisters and a sore back.

I will write more regarding this later, suffice it to say by age seven I was doing much the same. At age six I went with my grandfather and some of the older generation that blocked off two acres of a corn field. All the grandchildren, little grand kids just big enough to walk got handed corn knives and worked right along the granddads all day, in the heat of the day till the sun set. We each got a nickle for the work and told that had to buy flour, sugar, lard, bacon, salt, milk to last a month. It was the granddads way of teaching us kids value/s.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I will write more regarding this later, suffice it to say by age seven I was doing much the same. At age six I went with my grandfather and some of the older generation that blocked off two acres of a corn field. All the grandchildren, little grand kids just big enough to walk got handed corn knives and worked right along the granddads all day, in the heat of the day till the sun set. We each got a nickle for the work and told that had to buy flour, sugar, lard, bacon, salt, milk to last a month. It was the granddads way of teaching us kids value/s.

True but some parents don't have any type of work ethic and that gets passed down. Shit best believe both my kids have there work to do around house. My daughter has a job and just turned 16 so we make sure we don't raise no bitch ass punk kids

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah one of my grandfathers lost both his parents at age 8 was thrown in an orphanage, fought in WWI, and his wife my grandmother went through the Dust Bowl her family lost everything....I look at those people and think ..Fuck it would have killed me.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True but some parents don't have any type of work ethic and that gets passed down. Shit best believe both my kids have there work to do around house. My daughter has a job and just turned 16 so we make sure we don't raise no bitch ass punk kids

My sister in law told me..." You are hard on your daughter"..I told her..hey it can be a hard fucking life, she needs to be able to deal with it if the need arises...

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
yeah one of my grandfathers lost both his parents at age 8 was thrown in an orphanage, fought in WWI, and his wife my grandmother went through the Dust Bowl her family lost everything....I look at those people and think ..Fuck it would have killed me.

Not everyone is built like that now. Like mystic said these bad ass kids run things because they are allowed to. You can't yell or scream at them. You can't discipline them or u have services called on u. It's crazy. When these fucks pay for their clothes and housing and food then you can tell me something

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Just like the other kid's these days I imagine he has a room full of shiny plastic trophies just for showing up.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
But when your life is threatened at that age can your mind really comprehend what you have to do. No I don't believe so

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not everyone is built like that now. Like mystic said these bad ass kids run things because they are allowed to. You can't yell or scream at them. You can't discipline them or u have services called on u. It's crazy. When these fucks pay for their clothes and housing and food then you can tell me something

Oh I'm a bastard no doubt about it,.... but I think or hope my child listens to me because she sees that I love her more than anything in the world and that if I get angry it is because she is not being carefull with the one thing I cherish more than anything else....her...I don't know if she respects me, but she respects the fact I put her first.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Absolutely everything I do is for my kids. It ain't to be malicious it's to teach them the right and wrong way of this world.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

This is very true I see it in my own lazy ass family my sisters kids are so fucking lazy its sickening

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just like the other kid's these days I imagine he has a room full of shiny plastic trophies just for showing up.
LOL....kids are still kids....my kid played rec ball,and then went on to playing tournament ball and high school varsiety......kids don't like to lose....you fuck up on the field the coach is the last person in the world you have to worry about...your team mates are gonna kick your ass.
one of the reasons I wanted my kid to play sports..it's healthy..it teaches you how to work in order to achieve, how to come to terms with losing, and how to handle both on your own with no help from mom or dad.How to encourage others, how to cut yourself some slack.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your 100 percent right. There are always two sides to a story but in my defense if that's what this is. There where witnesses who were questioned and all had same story from what principal explained to me. Even the principal admitted that she did believe that the other student did have a knife not a Swiss army utility knife but an actual folding knife. And the other parents from what principal told me admit the kid had a knife but refute what he had told other students/witnesses in regard of harming himself and other. This is all information the school principal told me in our first meeting. I appreciate everyone's input in this matter. Just a situation I have never dealt with til now. Question for you do you agree or disagree that a knife bought into any school deserves only a 5 day suspension and that's all the punishment you'll receive?

I definitely feel like I am not overreacting when it comes to something of this matter. I want to make sure my kid is comfortable going to school and also looking out for others to prevent any future incidents. Some people here have gone thru an ordeal like this and some haven't. That's all I'm saying.

For a kid's first offense, five days seems sufficient. I don't know the kids history. I don't like minimum mandatory sentencing and I don't like zero tolerance rules. Not all situations are serious situations and while consequences should follow based on an offense they should also be based on the individual child.

A better question to you. If your son made a mistake and took a pocket knife to school and he told you he didn't threaten anyone, just didn't think it through, would you fight for him to receive a punishment but not have that punishment be permanent or overly extreme? I think you would. You do seem to care about him and his future. I believe he is the kid you say he is and I would not want to see him overly harmed for a temporary lack of judgement.

Sometimes, otherwise good kids make mistakes. These need to be handled on an individual basis, IMO. Over reacting can be harmful to the child. Very harsh consequences can be counterproductive.

It's a great big gray area and we don't always get things right. But, I cannot advocate that every child be treated to harsh consequences on an equal basis for the simple possesion of a pocket knife. One may have deep issues that requires a heavy hand and another may have simply screwed up. I don't know about the kid in your particular problem. I don't know his history.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
d35cc6a2e1b7484eaf5490f3d65f8d4f9a5fc7f6f4570d6c9c34ea8605786dc2.jpg

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a reason for Zero tolerance these days and the need for it outweighs any gray areas, and of course these comments here are our opinions, and we all have one.

Yeah, the zero tolerance rules are working out well, ain't they? Schools are now islands of Utopia with no issues anymore.

All evidence to the contrary, of course.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You really should run for a political office Time, you are so good at turning discussions into hardcore debates

I'm just not a herd animal. Group think has caused the vast majority of mass carnage throughout history from Salem Witch hunts and Jim Jones to Hitler or the Roman Empire. Group think is not common sense. It's quite the opposite.

And, no. No political office for me. I'm not a sheep and have no desire to be a shepherd.;)

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For a kid's first offense, five days seems sufficient. I don't know the kids history. I don't like minimum mandatory sentencing and I don't like zero tolerance rules. Not all situations are serious situations and while consequences should follow based on an offense they should also be based on the individual child.

A better question to you. If your son made a mistake and took a pocket knife to school and he told you he didn't threaten anyone, just didn't think it through, would you fight for him to receive a punishment but not have that punishment be permanent or overly extreme? I think you would. You do seem to care about him and his future. I believe he is the kid you say he is and I would not want to see him overly harmed for a temporary lack of judgement.

Sometimes, otherwise good kids make mistakes. These need to be handled on an individual basis, IMO. Over reacting can be harmful to the child. Very harsh consequences can be counterproductive.

It's a great big gray area and we don't always get things right. But, I cannot advocate that every child be treated to harsh consequences on an equal basis for the simple possesion of a pocket knife. One may have deep issues that requires a heavy hand and another may have simply screwed up. I don't know about the kid in your particular problem. I don't know his history.

When a child is threatened and story backed up by others. That right there should be enough to warrant a longer than punishment. If role was reversed then our family would have to do with it period. We don't know this kids personal home life. He could be great or he could be messed up. He could of said the comments he made but when asked by parents he could of said no. We don't know

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do I really want to screw this kid up and his family. No I don't but to take care of mine I gotta do what I have to do. An 11yr old can't handle this type of process by himself or even begin to comprehend what's going. I could say hey I'm sending my kid to school with this knife to protect himself from someone who threatened him with a knife. Since to me the end punishment is a slap on the wrist for the and spit to the face on us. IMO but I am not doing that that is not right. We as parents have to handle this like adults from both sides. My kid because of district have to attend school with the other one til high school. If this was handled properly then and by there handbook not an overreacting parent but by the rules the put on paper that we have to sign at beginning of school year. This forum convo wouldn't be happening.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When a child is threatened and story backed up by others. That right there should be enough to warrant a longer than punishment. If role was reversed then our family would have to do with it period. We don't know this kids personal home life. He could be great or he could be messed up. He could of said the comments he made but when asked by parents he could of said no. We don't know

Exactly. We don't know.

So, would you want your child to be punished to extreme by people that don't know?

I think if the shoe was on the other foot, you'd feel differently. You'd want people to consider that he's a good kid and messed up. Wouldn't you?

Others might be okay with condemning him without knowing. I'm just saying that I'm not. He might not deserve such harsh treatment. Or he might deserve harsher treatment. I don't know. That's all. I'll be interested in how you feel after meeting with the him and the parents.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Exactly. We don't know.

So, would you want your child to be punished to extreme by people that don't know?

I think if the shoe was on the other foot, you'd feel differently. You'd want people to consider that he's a good kid and messed up. Wouldn't you?

Others might be okay with condemning him without knowing. I'm just saying that I'm not. He might not deserve such harsh treatment. Or he might deserve harsher treatment. I don't know. That's all. I'll be interested in how you feel after meeting with the him and the parents.

So if a kid got stabbed. Do you still what you say? If shoe was on other foot we deal with whatever is dealt and that is truth

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So if a kid got stabbed. Do you still what you say? If shoe was on other foot we deal with whatever is dealt and that is truth

The kid with the alleged problem asked your kid to not sit next to him.
Your kid sat anyway, good.
The other kid kicked him, rather than complain to the bus driver or monitor your kid decked him.
It seems to me both the other boy and your boy are at fault- not good..
The other boy was ashamed that your kid decked him. He said he wanted to kill himself...
(My kid wrote it on his computer in computer class after being dissed by a girl he liked, that's a typical BS kid reaction BTW. Another kid saw what mine wrote and reported it
and my kid, who is a magnet student in advanced classes and honor roll had to have a year of counseling which we had to pay for. - The counselor told us said threats to kill themselves are typical of kids..- I was a peer counselor and we were taught that people who commit suicide don't generally threaten that they will do it, they just do it.)

Then the other kid tried to save face and showed his pocket knife.
The kid said he should have pulled his pocket knife during the altercation, but he did not..
There are no witnesses that the other kid ever threatened your kid with said knife, only that he talked shit.

The school system has the duty to protect both the other kid and your kid
and has rules they have to abide with.
For all you know the other boy's parents already corrected him
but if you feel that your son's life is in danger you should report the incident to the police
(which should have been done by the school principal.)

If and when you report the incident to the police,
don't omit the fact that your kid decked the other kid..in self defense of course.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A kid didn't get stabbed. That's a whole different conversation.

Your right and don't wish that on anyone. But u can say maybe a seed has been planted by actions and comments

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The kid with the alleged problem asked your kid to not sit next to him.
Your kid sat anyway, good.
The other kid kicked him, rather than complain to the bus driver or monitor your kid decked him.
It seems to me both the other boy and your boy are at fault- not good..
The other boy was ashamed that your kid decked him. He said he wanted to kill himself...
(My kid wrote it on his computer in computer class after being dissed by a girl he liked, that's a typical BS kid reaction BTW. Another kid saw what mine wrote and reported it
and my kid, who is a magnet student in advanced classes and honor roll had to have a year of counseling which we had to pay for. - The counselor told us said threats to kill themselves are typical of kids..- I was a peer counselor and we were taught that people who commit suicide don't generally threaten that they will do it, they just do it.)

Then the other kid tried to save face and showed his pocket knife.
The kid said he should have pulled his pocket knife during the altercation, but he did not..
There are no witnesses that the other kid ever threatened your kid with said knife, only that he talked shit.

The school system has the duty to protect both the other kid and your kid
and has rules they have to abide with.
For all you know the other boy's parents already corrected him
but if you feel that your son's life is in danger you should report the incident to the police
(which should have been done by the school principal.)

If and when you report the incident to the police,
don't omit the fact that your kid decked the other kid..in self defense of course.

Your one hundred percent right. My kid is taught to defend himself. So the fact the other child hit my son first. My son has my every right to defend himself. Period. I believe school system in this case has let everyone down. By them down playing this situation like it's not a big deal

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your one hundred percent right. My kid is taught to defend himself. So the fact the other child hit my son first. My son has my every right to defend himself. Period. I believe school system in this case has let everyone down. By them down playing this situation like it's not a big deal

As a parent it is natural for you to be concerned, perhaps overly so.
As teachers and school system they deal with this kind of crap often.
While it is good that you, like me, teach your kid to defend himself,
I teach my son to be sure nobody sees him ruthlessly put a bully down
and avoid getting dragged into the system. Your boy defended himself
in public...

Think back to when you were a kid and consider how hard a kick you could muster
while sitting in the bus..Now think of how hard your kid "defended" himself
as he stood and hit the other kid hard enough to knock him down.

If you consider the degree of "self defense" inflicted by your son,
you might conclude your son over reacted.

Bottom line, both your son and the other kid were involved in an altercation
which could have been avoided had your son
a. Not sat next to the other kid
b. Not hit the other kid
c. Not hit him so hard.
Both kid's are guilty, both kids need counseling.
You need to call the cops 'cause not one of us vapers can help you.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As a parent it is natural for you to be concerned, perhaps overly so.
As teachers and school system they deal with this kind of crap often.
While it is good that you, like me, teach your kid to defend himself,
I teach my son to be sure nobody sees him ruthlessly put a bully down
and avoid getting dragged into the system. Your boy defended himself
in public...

Think back to when you were a kid and consider how hard a kick you could muster
while sitting in the bus..Now think of how hard your kid "defended" himself
as he stood and hit the other kid hard enough to knock him down.

If you consider the degree of "self defense" inflicted by your son,
you might conclude your son over reacted.

Bottom line, both your son and the other kid were involved in an altercation
which could have been avoided had your son
a. Not sat next to the other kid
b. Not hit the other kid
c. Not hit him so hard.
Both kid's are guilty, both kids need counseling.
You need to call the cops 'cause not one of us vapers can help you.

It's not a asking for help. It's venting and getting different opinions.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not a asking for help. It's venting and getting different opinions.

Oh, okay. Vent. You have my opinion, self restraint and appropriate local is part of teaching kids to defend themselves,
especially now-a-days when a sharp pencil is considered a weapon.
If your son has to defend himself again he might be considered the aggressor and wind up in the
system.. Believe me, you don't want or need that shit.
Call the cops.

VU Sponsors