Become a Patron!

Smok X Cube II - Smok's Temp Control Take 2

art247

Member For 4 Years
I never upgraded at all should i beware as well ? Probably have the original version

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I never upgraded at all should i beware as well ? Probably have the original version

I would upgrade to 0.97. Besides the extra 20 watts, they really improved the temp control, to the extent that it actually works OK on stainless. Other improvements if I recall, are the ability to set base resistance, TCR, and it now does TC on SS and Ti for free.

Last edited:

art247

Member For 4 Years
I would upgrade to 0.97. Besides the extra 20 watts, they really improved the temp control, to the extenr that it actually works OK on stainless. Other improvements if I recall, are the ability to set base resistance, TCR, and it now does TC on SS and Ti for free.
Ok i will try that on the weekend and let you know thank you ive had so many problems with the snow wolf and others my xcube has always been reliable thanks art247

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll wait a week and try again. Give them a chance to fix it. They have gone back to the NuMicro Programming Tool, which is a PITA. I tried the new, (now old) tool, it downloaded the 0.98 and installed it, but same problem, mod would not turn on.

PM me if you need software.
I have 2 Xcube II's... I upgraded both of them, and had no issues. My problem is their Vaping Tour software, it's horrible as I can no longer connect via bluewtooth, the android app just crashes after I enter '000000' for the pin.......BTW, I was running 1.097 previous, and both it and 1.098 work fine for me in TC with SS316L Dual Fused Claptons...... .24ohms....so yes, they did get TC working with SS pretty well....

While I agree using the NuMicro Programming Tool is a PITA... It works better than their old tool, which without hacking a bit ONLY allowed you to install the latest software it downloaded live....

I've ended up saving all the old software as backups, in case I have to go back to an older version, and I've used the NuMicro Programming Tool quite a few times to downgrade, since Smok put out a few updates that completely broke TC.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've ended up saving all the old software as backups, in case I have to go back to an older version, and I've used the NuMicro Programming Tool quite a few times to downgrade, since Smok put out a few updates that completely broke TC.

Lol I've done the same. I'm a software hoarder. The "new" tool D/Ls the hex file into its directory, and of course I copy the hexfile to my collection, and using the NuMicro, and the hex file from 1.097 was eventually how I unbricked my mod.

When did you do the 1.098? I've noticed Smok has changed the 1.098 file twice so far, but Smoks shocking lack of changelogs makes me hesitant to try 1.098 for a while. 1.098 is supposed to eliminate the delay for firing, but mine fires very fast on 1.097.

Vaping Tour is a shit-show of an app, its primary purpose being to assist Smok in datamining and selling the info it collects from its users.If I wanted fkn Friend-Face I'd sign up for it, but I don't. Let alone to use my mod.

Smart BEC was no better for reliability, but I have gone back to it because it offers more features, and it is unable to "call home" anymore : ). If you have a rooted Android phone, I've got the Smart BEC .apk.

Last edited:

art247

Member For 4 Years
the snow wolf unfortunally does not support stainless steel TC, so its not for me, i want to alternate between watt mode and TC, so i can forget to drip while outside and not get "killed" in the process.

The DNA200 is a bit of a problem aswell. They have unfortunally limited the device to 130W when its run with dual 18650's, which is another problem, since i often vape around 150W for my fused clapton builds
i know there is triple 18650's but they are too big and clunky for me and the LIPO solution simply would not work, since i am already eating my 18650's multiple times a day and i dont want to be stuck at a usb stick all day in order to vape. 1600mah simply is too little to work with.
I get that they limited their board due to the voltage drop, but thats why we go lower in ohm's so we get the same vape no matter the battery level on regulated mods. imo its a bit of a booboo they did there.

my point of the post here in the first place was mainly if some people have made some firmwares that have unlocked the coefficiancy to go lower.
Just curious what mod are you considering going with?

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol I've done the same. I'm a software hoarder. The "new" tool D/Ls the hex file into its directory, and of course I copy the hexfile to my collection, and using the NuMicro, and the hex file from 1.097 was eventually how I unbricked my mod.

When did you do the 1.098? I've noticed Smok has changed the 1.098 file twice so far, but Smoks shocking lack of changelogs makes me hesitant to try 1.098 for a while. 1.098 is supposed to eliminate the delay for firing, but mine fires very fast on 1.097.

Vaping Tour is a shit-show of an app, its primary purpose being to assist Smok in datamining and selling the info it collects from its users.If I wanted fkn Friend-Face I'd sign up for it, but I don't. Let alone to use my mod.

Smart BEC was no better for reliability, but I have gone back to it because it offers more features, and it is unable to "call home" anymore : ). If you have a rooted Android phone, I've got the Smart BEC .apk.
Hello,

I'm not sure when I got the 1.098 file, but it was shortly (a day or so after it came out). Since Smok doesn't do real release numbers, or release notes/changes it's hard to say!
here is the filename, with checksum --> XCUBE II-VIVI-52 (160616)V.1.098(checksum=0x28F9).hex

Not sure if that helps, BUT if they released multiple copies calling it the same version, I would EXPECT the checksums to at least be different.

I agree VapeTour is a POS, and more SPAM than a little bit!

Thanks for the offer of the .apk. I had a backup from Titanium I ended up using to go back last night...Yeah, I'm a software hoarder as well!!!!

Just curious, did you have any problems with 1.098??? I've read a lot of people have, BUT it seems most can't follow directions... show all files, ensure to erase first, hold the fire bar the whole time, etc...As I said, I upgraded two, and haven't had any problems afterwards, both still work well.

I like the custom power mode in SmartBec, allows to do preheat in wattage mode, nice to have. I do wish they would add something like that in TC, where you can pick a wattage and time for preheat, BUT preheat turns off once you reach your set temperate.... Unlike the Sigelei/Fuchai 213 that if set to 150 watts for 10 seconds, will actually IGNORE your set temperate and fire your coils at 150 watts and 10 seconds, unless they melt first....It would also be great to have the setting on the mod. As it is today, change the wattage, and custom power turns off.....

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone here know of a way to get below 0.00050 TCR ?
i have the SS upgrades, but getting the SS hot legs on my 26 guage wire on dual coil mode, so i decided to twist the stainless steel, however i need to get down to around 0.00025 since its basicly quad coil in regards to that (the device litually goes back to wattage mode unless i adjust the initial ohm's, which then gives a very dodgy TC that fare from matches the tempreture selected)

I've actually tried to contact SMOK, via contact form, email and via facebook without any luck. Its a great device but i kinda feel like they do not value me as a customer.
I'm confused, sorry I don't understand wanting to adjust the TCR, because you twisted the wire.... Regardless of the build, the TCR is the TCR, with MINOR adjustments, AND the LOWER the TCR goes, the worse TC will be!!!! SS316L at .000088 is already REALLY low.....Generally SS316/316L is somewhere between .000088 and .000105..... EVEN if you could adjust the TCR lower TC would NEVER work!

As far as hotlegs, I've never had the problem... My understanding is it's usually caused by the legs/leads of the coil being too long, or to far from the posts, and is also usually more of an issue with contact coils, and not TC coils, that generally work better spaced???? Opinions?

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not sure if that helps, BUT if they released multiple copies calling it the same version, I would EXPECT the checksums to at least be different.

That does help. I thought 1.098 bricked my mod. I think revision numbers don't mean what Smok thinks they do.... I'll wait a little while until I try it again. 1.097 is the best my X Cube has performed so far.

An added bonus of Smart BEC, is that the app is no longer connected to the server at their end. No authentication other than the BT pass, and it does not call home anymore. The ONLY improvement that Vaping Tour had over SmartBEC is IMO, not requiring the BT pass each and every time the anemin BT in the mod loses connection.

I use Android Autorun manager to edit the recievers of Smart BEC, and keep that stupid app under control.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
quote="DjMadness, post: 772991, member: 36683"] Anyone here know of a way to get below 0.00050 TCR ?
i have the SS upgrades, but getting the SS hot legs on my 26 guage wire on dual coil mode, so i decided to twist the stainless steel, however i need to get down to around 0.00025 since its basicly quad coil in regards to that (the device litually goes back to wattage mode unless i adjust the initial ohm's, which then gives a very dodgy TC that fare from matches the tempreture selected)

I've actually tried to contact SMOK, via contact form, email and via facebook without any luck. Its a great device but i kinda feel like they do not value me as a customer.

[/quote]

Check your 510 threads for super cleanliness, and your initial resistance. And if you have not upgraded, consider at least 1.097, and if you feel lucky, and in need of adrenaline, 1.098.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My understanding is it's usually caused by the legs/leads of the coil being too long, or to far from the posts, and is also usually more of an issue with contact coils, and not TC coils, that generally work better spaced???? Opinions?

I use both spaced and contact coils in TC, they both work for me.

VU Sponsors