Become a Patron!

Story about E-Cigarette related death on Facebook

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One of my friends just shared a story on facebook that a woman from Florida posted last week.

This is what she wrote word for word:

"Just returned from our neighbors memorial service. She died of suffocation, the oil from the vapor ciggaretts coated the folliculs in her lungs. The Dr's at Mayo could not remove the oil. She was only 67. Beware of vapor and E-ciggaretts."

Later in her comments she wrote:

"Please share, that was the purpose of this post. Who knew, she thought the vapor ciggaretts would be better than smoking. The Mayo Dr's said her lungs were clear otherwise."

It has been shared over 50,000 times since June 27, 2015. Has anyone heard anything about this woman in Florida supposedly dying from e-cigarette oil coating her lungs?

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There's not any oil in eliquid, though. Was she mixing her own stuff and using wrong ingredients?

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The only thing I could find from a google search is people on another vaping forum talking about the same Facebook Story. :D
Urban legend without documentation. OP: find out the name of the woman who allegedly died.

I have no idea who the woman that supposedly died is, but the woman who started the story is from Jacksonville Florida. I have her name and her FB page is open to the public. If you want her name so you can see it for yourself I will send it to you in a PM.

A poster on the other forum I found talking about this story messaged the woman on FB & politely asked her for more information so he can share it with other vapers. He has not got a response yet.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
found it on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/3cc881/what_did_i_just_read/
Also found a claim of similar in Spain and Dr. Farsalinos's response http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/2013-04-07-09-50-07/2014/157-glycerol

If this death did occur and she did die from lipoid pneumonia, either she was inhaling something she shouldn't have been; she had an esophageal disorder causing impaired swallowing; was a habitual user of aromatherapy, mouth sprays, nasal sprays, etc.; was a fire eater; had a chronic bronchial obstruction such as a tumor; had a fat embolism; did a whole lot of diving; or was doing something else that caused it. The only way it could be her ecig is if she was vaping cooking oil, essential oil, or using oil based food flavorings.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

From that article
About the Author: Kim LaCapria is a New York-based content manager and longtime snopes.com message board participant. Although she was investigated and found to be "probably false" by snopes.com in early 2002, Kim later began writing for the site due to an executive order unilaterally passed by President Obama during a secret, late-night session (without the approval of Congress). Click like and share if you think this is an egregious example of legislative overreach. More from this author.
Read more at http://m.snopes.com/2015/07/07/e-cigarette-death/#BmVrOBkbWRSOAjxe.99

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
colbert-popcorn_zpslmlzphcc.gif

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Fact: lots of people here in Oklahoma are now vaping
Fact: we are getting record amounts of rain, and flash floods.
1 + 1 =42?

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Fact: lots of people here in Oklahoma are now vaping
Fact: we are getting record amounts of rain, and flash floods.
1 + 1 =42?
and the rash of earthquakes in Oklahoma. That's gotta be related.

ki4uwk

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haven't seen it

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Her post has been shared 75,000 times (it was at 50,000 this morning) :eek: Now we have at least 75,000 more idiots that are going to be spreading this crap on FB and in the real world thanks to this woman.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is the reason some old people shouldn't own computers....
SOME....

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The strange thing is she does not appear to have any sort of anti vaping agenda (Other than this post obviously). This is the only comment she has made about vaping on her FB page. I think she was just speculating on her own that vaping was related to her friends death and decided to post this BS on her page. I don't think she had any idea of the fire storm she ignited with her post.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope, probably didn't. And like so many others, she believed what she thought to be true. I went through this with a girl at work, said a family member was dying now because of "those oils and chemicals in those things...." I explained as gently as I could that there was no "oil" involved and named all whopping four of the ingredients in eliquid. She didn't believe me until the doctor confessed to a misdiagnosis - the woman actually has tuberculosis.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Or she did and that is why she posted it.

I mean, if she doesn't appear to have an anti vaping agenda and posts something negative, then people will be more likely to follow what she says instead of just assuming she is telling another story. I kinda did that same ploy back when I was in high school. Acted like a perfect little angel the first years, then come my last year I could practically get away with anything since the teachers all thought I was some perfect little angel and wouldn't believe others when they tried to report me.

It's also pretty damn easy to make more then one facebook account to use for such an activity. Pretty easy to add pictures and stories, pretty easy to act like a different person, pretty easy to go into a few facebook games and add a hundred (or thousand) people as friends.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe the guys from Five Pawns hijacked this poor old ladies FB page and started this firestorm so we all stop talking about Five Pawns and focus our anger on her :D

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I went to her FB page and it's locked from comments except for from friends. I sent her a nicely worded message, though, pointing out how wrong she is and how now thousands will think that smoking highly carcinogenic cigs is safer than using something that has no carcinogens.

Sad to think that a facebook post might result in thousands dying from cancer.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I considered sending her a friend request from one of my alternate facebook accounts just to act like somebody who believed her and wanted to get some relatives off ecigs. Just to probe a bit and try and gently draw her into a debate about them.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I imagine she has received thousands of FB Friend requests today :D

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'm in my late 40's, have been vaping for around 7 years and in the past 7 years my eyesight has continued to get worse, forcing me to use reading glasses nearly constantly. It must be the ecig.
hmmmm and I thought I was just getting old. Nice to have something to blame it on :)

ki4uwk

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe it to be a hoax

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Now been shared over 85,000 times *shaking head*

At first sight of this thread I was worried because I've been getting a lot of juice in my mouth and surely some in my lungs. Glad I saw that only oil based liquids could cause such a problem. Nothing but VG PG Nic and tiny bit of alcohol or h20 in my juice. Def no oils.

It's crazy how much BS goes viral. I live in FL and never heard of any vaping death. Vape shops are everywhere here now, and even almost all the gas stations sell startup kits and liquids.

VapeLikeALady

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe it's from an increased strain on a Geothermal power plant as a result of all the vape battery charging :p

Don't forget about the 2 earthquakes in MISSISSIPPI this year!! Heard it knocked a plastic patio set over!!

VapeLikeALady

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I sent her a message as well, here's a copy

Hi. I saw your post on a friends Facebook and first of all want to offer my sincerest condolences. I wonder if you might be able to provide more information about the tragedy of your friend. It seems like there is some information missing. I've been vaping for 6 months with nothing but positive healthy changes, so this is why I ask. I know they recommend people with certain respiratory problems not use ecigs for that reason, but if the only thing was the ecig, I would like more information about the type of products she was using, time, juice, nicotine strength, etc.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude asking these things but I feel so much better since I swapped from 2 packs a day to vaping. I don't have my asthma problems anymore, no nebulizer, inhaler, etc. I want to know if I'm hurting myself worse by vaping.

Again, so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with the family and friends.

VapeLikeALady

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also I'd like to point out that I KNOW that I'm not harming myself by vaping, but I wanted to come across as curious and not already defensive.

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Or she did and that is why she posted it.

I mean, if she doesn't appear to have an anti vaping agenda and posts something negative, then people will be more likely to follow what she says instead of just assuming she is telling another story. I kinda did that same ploy back when I was in high school. Acted like a perfect little angel the first years, then come my last year I could practically get away with anything since the teachers all thought I was some perfect little angel and wouldn't believe others when they tried to report me.

It's also pretty damn easy to make more then one facebook account to use for such an activity. Pretty easy to add pictures and stories, pretty easy to act like a different person, pretty easy to go into a few facebook games and add a hundred (or thousand) people as friends.
I did the same thing in high school. You can fool some of the people all of the time...

Hey. I made this account simply because of how angry this clearly fake post made me. Wanted to let more vapers sleep easy knowing it's bullshit. Oh, and also raise an army against the woman but that can wait.

I'm from the vaping subreddit, and we've been looking into the issue since we saw it yesterday. We've been calling the hospital, and we've gotten a reply. Drumroll please!

It never happened.

They never treated a patient for oil filled lungs.

And if you need further evidence that it's all a sham for this person's gain... She has her LinkedIn page listed as Fundraising for the American Cancer Society with experience in direct marketing.

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey. I made this account simply because of how angry this clearly fake post is. Wanted to let more vapers sleep easy knowing it's bullshit. Oh, and also raise an army against the woman but that can wait.

I'm from the vaping subreddit, and we've been looking into the issue since we saw it yesterday. We've been calling the hospital, and we've gotten a reply. Drumroll please!

It never happened.

They never treated a patient for oil filled lungs.

And if you need further evidence that it's all a sham for this person's gain... She has her LinkedIn page listed as Fundraising for the American Cancer Society with experience in direct marketing.
^ That right there is why I like the people on reddit :) Thanks for that!

So, she's associated with the ACS and is doing work on facebook to get people to continue smoking and wind up with cancer. Nice. . . Fucking bitch!

Last edited:
^ That right there is why I like the people on reddit :) Thanks for that!

So, she's associated with the ACA and is doing work on facebook to get people to continue smoking and wind up with cancer. Nice. . . Fucking bitch!

Not a problem. I'm on month two no smokes, I'm not coughing up blood anymore, I can run with ease, and sleeping isn't hindered by having to cough like mad every thirty seconds. It's wrong for people to slander something that's so very clearly helping people stay alive. When we finally have a chance to kill cigarettes for good, these people become the biggest battle. Making sure the public knows the truth.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not a problem. I'm on month two no smokes, I'm not coughing up blood anymore, I can run with ease, and sleeping isn't hindered by having to cough like mad every thirty seconds. It's wrong for people to slander something that's so very clearly helping people stay alive. When we finally have a chance to kill cigarettes for good, these people become the biggest battle. Making sure the public knows the truth.
Congrats on getting away from the smokes! Yeah, it amazes me that people would demonize something so game changing. Nothing, absolutely nothing, has been so effective at helping people to quit smoking. Oh, and welcome to the VU! :)

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
she's associated with the ACA and is doing work on facebook to get people to continue smoking and wind up with cancer. Nice. . . Fucking bitch!
Said it for me. Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that you are smoke free, congrats and keep up the good work!
Thanks for sharing the info and hope to see you around here more.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This is getting way out of control. Now over 83,000 shares. *shaking head*

VU Sponsors