Become a Patron!

Story about E-Cigarette related death on Facebook

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Maybe some of us already have pending charges for such information sharing....

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Finding someone is actually a little more fun when it's a little more challenging. She chucks out her digits like they're confetti.

Edit:

Maybe some of us already have pending charges for such information sharing....

I've run into quite a few threads here where the OP was definitely asking for it, but everyone showed a pleasant amount of restraint. (Maybe some of that restraint was after-the-fact post deletions???)

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Finding someone is actually a little more fun when it's a little more challenging. She chucks out her digits like they're confetti.

Edit:

I've run into quite a few threads here where the OP was definitely asking for it, but everyone showed a pleasant amount of restraint. (Maybe some of that restraint was after-the-fact post deletions???)
Well I wasnt involved...Not on this forum anyways...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
She has a digital footprint the size of sasquatch. There is no reasonable expection of privacy issue here, only information she herself has put on the net publicly.

She is a big girl. ( literally ) I wonder how many have continued on the road to cancer because of her little fabrication. She should reap what she has sowed, or show enough of the integrity one might expect from a former Marine major, to retract it.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wouldn't post private info. If I was going to do that, I would have included her DOB, home address, The church she volunteers at etc.

Is her BS post about the ecig death private too?

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When I was in the media, I worked next to someone who had to track down people who KNEW private citizens making the news. Not just relatives... neighbors and co-workers. It was gut-wrenching.

Social media is just another way people can be stalked. If you remember that mass shooting in San Bernardino, CA recently... reporters and bloggers were Tweeting people while they were still hunkered down in the building. Essentially asking hostages for interviews, while they were still hostages. Sad.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Is her BS post about the ecig death private too?

Laws vary. What it boils down to is this...
You can do what appears legal, but you could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit. You're suddenly thrown into a legal proceeding and paying attorney fees. Even if you have a win in court, you're still forced to deal with the time and money.

That's why the "do unto others" morality rule works well. It's a safeguarding layer before you get to "Is this legal for me to do?"

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I was in the media, I worked next to someone who had to track down people who KNEW private citizens making the news. Not just relatives... neighbors and co-workers. It was gut-wrenching.

Social media is just another way people can be stalked. If you remember that mass shooting in San Bernardino, CA recently... reporters and bloggers were Tweeting people while they were still hunkered down in the building. Essentially asking hostages for interviews, while they were still hostages. Sad.

What is your point? The media are a bunch of amoral what-bleeds-leads-aholes? Where does stalking come into this? Is mentioning a Friendface comment not just as bad? Should nobody mention the crap she wrote?

If I'm correct, you were in the media, and you are playing some moral card here? I cannot count how many "journalists" I've heard whine and moan about bloggers or social media having the same rights as they believe they have.

As far as "social media" goes ( I cannot convey to you how much I hate that term ) what about the Boston Bombers? I guess they were "stalked" by the mean internet too. It was not the NSA, or the FBI that lead to their idendification it was the internet.

Edit: If I was a hostage, I think I might put my cell on silent mode. Just saying... Nothing worse than hiding in a dark closet and hearing that go off.

She has brought it upon herself with her Friendface comments.

[/quote]

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Erm, guys, anything written in that facebook profile could easily be fake stuff made up just to convey a more honest appearance.
"Hey, you can believe me, I'm a veteran, I work with a church, I feed the homeless"

A facebook profile isn't a government enforced identification where you have to be honest.
It's the internet, anybody could easily lie about anything and there is usually no way to prove if they are lieing or telling the truth.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Erm, guys, anything written in that facebook profile could easily be fake stuff made up just to convey a more honest appearance.
"Hey, you can believe me, I'm a veteran, I work with a church, I feed the homeless"
A facebook profile isn't a government enforced identification where you have to be honest.
It's the internet, anybody could easily lie about anything and there is usually no way to prove if they are lieing or telling the truth.

Gee. I hadn't considered that. However, not one piece of information other than her BS post came from there. If, your assertion is that she is not the real author, don't you think she might like to know what is being attributed to her? I would. Wouldn't you?

I could then set the record straight. Much more preferable to me than having thousands believe falsely, that I wrote something I did not.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Edit: If I was a hostage, I think I might put my cell on silent mode.
Nice. People need a to-do list for being a hostage.

Clarification on the rest:
Just call it a dumb tangent. I simply find threads like this fascinating. Gets my brain going. Example: whether she's real or whether this person purposefully created a lie, knowing full well a percentage of people would believe it, even after it's debunked.

As for the media, I'm just glad I'm out. No moral card attached. It was a random job; very glad I got to see the "other side" though.

As for the draw of calling her out by posting, say, her email address... that's interesting to me as well. There was a newb troll in another thread a while back claiming to be a gunny. While trying to figure that one out, I ran across his public dating profiles. The pics were cringe-worthy. Really emasculating. Took a while to talk myself out of posting them here. Would have been really damn funny though.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gee. I hadn't considered that. However, not one piece of information other than her BS post came from there.

Facebook isn't the only place people can lie. lol

Former Marine Major, DOB, Home Address, Phone number, church?
Unless you have access to gov computers to see if she was actually in the marines, it could be a lie.
DOB could be a lie unless you have access to her birth certificate.
Home address could be a lie unless you've gone there to ask the resident to show a gov id to verify it's her.
Phone number could be fake, even if called there is no guarantee the person answering is really her.
Unless you've gone ot the church and had her prove she was there via showing a gov ID, that could be a lie.
Even the name Arddy Farrell could be made up, even if there are really people named that in the world.

I could claim to be a former marine, claim to have worked with the UN, claim to have won the lotto and bought a mansion in Beverly Hills, and claim to volunteer at a church and feed the homeless. Even post all over the internet about it, throwing out addresses and phone numbers. It's not hard to do at all, the internet provides a sense of anonymity and allows people to live the life they fantisize. Only way to prove if I was lieing or telling the truth would be to find me in person to physically prove the statements as true or false or to hack into and look it up in official computer systems. Unless you know somebody outside of the internet, anything said or posted online could easily be a lie.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Example: whether she's real or whether this person purposefully created a lie, knowing full well a percentage of people would believe it, even after it's debunked.

My own opiion? She was well meaning. Hypotheticaly, if she was a member and supporter of the American Cancer Foundation, and heard at bingo the urban myth, Mayo Clinic and all, about the woman killed by ecigs, she might just repeat it as a harmless white lie. In that regard, if I were correct, she is far less culpable and vile than the professional journalists who have a duty of care for what they report.

Well meaning or not, if her "little white lie" has had 75,000 views, the probability is that out of that 75,000 one might reasonably calculate given all the statistical data, that at least one of the 75,000 is a smoker and will contract cancer and die. We will never know the number of people's lives she may have affected with her "little white lie", if that is what indeed it was.

At the risk of sounding dramatic, lives are at stake. To me, it matters little if the disinformation is being directly spread by large tobacco, their multitudes of mewling minion lobbyists, the media, or some retired church lady, it should be addressed, and if that person is honestly mistaken, or misquoted they should be allowed an opportunity to clear that up.

Do something, or do nothing. As anybody in public service knows, you will never get into trouble for doing nothing.

Personally, I believe we are accountable for what we do in this life. ( unless we are politicians or journalists) ;)

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Former Marine Major, DOB, Home Address, Phone number, church?
Unless you have access to gov computers to see if she was actually in the marines, it could be a lie.

Which is why I never stated any such information. You would seem to have a double standard here. Even the removed phone number was in the form of a question to another member, not a statement of fact.

There is a fine line, but there is a line. Watch your toes.

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You did say she was a formar marine major.
You said you wouldn't post her DOB, address, and church she volunteers at (which leads me to believe that you found that info)
Comments about her digital footprint being huge have been made.

Where is the double standard?
All I said is that that info may be fake.
All that info is very easy to set up for the sake of living an alternate life.

All that info may have been put out on purpose for the sake of creating a 'trustworthy' internet personality to use for spreading anti e-cig propaganda. And which would a gullible person be more likely to follow, a person that seems obsessed with spreading propaganda or a person that doesn't appear to be posting it just for the sake of being against them? For the 2nd thing, it's harder to claim they are only saying it because they work for big tobacco or something similar to that extent.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I find this whole article to be Fabricated, Im not sure if the person in the Articles FB was fabricated aswell as I didnt even take the time to check all the in's and outs once I called the Clinic this happened at. I feel this whole shenanigan was a stab towards vaping with little or no proof that anything actually happened and I think everyone else should come to that conclusion as well. If anyone finds what Im saying false...call the clinic yourself and ask if they every has this woman as a patient, dealt with the issue that was said, or had any type of lung problem diagnosed anywhere near the said weeks when it happened, you will find that it didnt happen, not at the clinic that was stated to have taken her in and diagnosed her....

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You did say she was a formar marine major.
You said you wouldn't post her DOB, address, and church she volunteers at (which leads me to believe that you found that info)
Comments about her digital footprint being huge have been made.

I choose my words very carefully. I said "show enough of the integrity one might expect from a former Marine major, to retract it."

I did not make a statement of fact there. I never stated that she was a former Marine.

You however have made a statement of fact, that I did so. You might have interpeted that to mean she used to be a Marine, but I never said so, only that an unnamed person should show the integrity expected of a ( fill in the blank here). There are lines....

"You said you wouldn't post her DOB, address, and church she volunteers at (which leads me to believe that you found that info) "

I never said she was an astronaut,either. If I did have that info, I would not post it. Are you criticizing me for that?

You may believe I have found that info. You have a right to that belief or opinion, as unlike you above comment above, it is an opinion, not a statement of fact.

"Comments about her digital footprint being huge have been made."

Who's footprint precisely?

I choose my words carefully.

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
well, words posted online can easily be misinterpreted.
If I misinterpreted your statements, I apologize.

Really don't understand why your acting like I'm attacking you though.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
She was just elderly and died from pneumonia...

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One disturbing thing about lying regarding vaping and possibly keeping smokers from shifting...
There's this contraption you can put on your finger. Measures oxygen in your blood. Mine was 99. Essentially, one deeper breath and it would have hit 100. I vape 10ml a day.
If I remember correctly, 85 is the reading that correlates to needing supplemental oxygen.
My sister (a nurse) says she's seen people recently at the danger level. I asked her what makes people dip that low. One-word answer: "Smoking."

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Only way to prove if I was lieing or telling the truth would be to find me in person to physically prove the statements as true or false or to hack into and look it up in official computer systems. Unless you know somebody outside of the internet, anything said or posted online could easily be a lie.

Official computers are easily manipulated lol Especially if it's a human collecting the information.

People I have known for years couldn't tell you anything about me, except what city I live in. And some of those would tell you they have no idea where I am, and be telling the truth. Being a stranger in your own town, has it's perks. :p

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ray's vapemail

stack-of-55-gallon-fuel-drums-at-deadhorse-north-slope-of-alaska-D9YAMG.jpg
That looks like the Beer rack at my place. :cool:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its a Pulse Oximeter. Measures peripheral O2 saturation. The reading is relative. Fun to play with. They also give accurate heart rate.
I have one of those. Bought it when my lungs were infected from smoking. My 02 was 75%. Lower and your dead.

VU Sponsors