Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
Hearts, I have used rayon, occasionally I still do, but Japanese cotton is my main wicking material. I like Rayon, but I have trouble getting it positioned they way I like it in the Merlin. I have been sticking with cotton lately.
I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Rayon will be my go to wick on the Serpent Mini as I have had much better luck with it than cotton. On the Mage it was less than satisfactory. That chamber is packed with cotton in a dual coil arrangement and rayon fluffs out quite a bit....felt I was getting not enough juice flow and too much rayon taste. I like it's wicking properties but I'm thinking it might not be my best bet on dual coil builds with lots of coil and not alot of extra chamber space.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Rayon will be my go to wick on the Serpent Mini as I have had much better luck with it than cotton. On the Mage it was less than satisfactory. That chamber is packed with cotton in a dual coil arrangement and rayon fluffs out quite a bit....felt I was getting not enough juice flow and too much rayon taste. I like it's wicking properties but I'm thinking it might not be my best bet on dual coil builds with lots of coil and not alot of extra chamber space.

did you trim the rayon tails? They have to be tapered/thinned unlike cotton. There is a good thread about how to do it on the other forum. Rayon should break in after just a few vapes unlike cotton if properly trimmed.

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
Yeah I'm familiar with that. One of the convenient things with the Mage and cotton is that you simply need to snip the cotton at the top of the chamber, tuck and your good to go. With rayon it's going to be more of a guessing game. If you've ever used the Mage you know just how little space you're left with when using dual coils and cotton that needs to cover 4 juice holes. It gets cramped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't got a mage yet but it is one I hope to get 1 or 2 of for my stash time and finances permitting
I found mine on eBay for $24.97/free shipping from Chicago, just received yesterday. This is great timing for me as I was just going to build on it. I've been using rayon exclusively but for the Mage I'm contemplating using cotton. As I can't figure out how to with rayon someone on the other forum said when he get his Mage he will wick with rayon, I'm going over there now to ask him if he got it yet.

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
At the risk of going off topic, I have 2 Mages. They are great to suck on. They are horribly built. One broken tank (when disassembling a torqued down top, straight out of the box) and one where it is very hard to spin the chamber onto the base. And today I had to return a Conqueror because the juice flow ring would not move. I've had bad luck with RTA quality.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I found mine on eBay for $24.97/free shipping from Chicago, just received yesterday. This is great timing for me as I was just going to build on it. I've been using rayon exclusively but for the Mage I'm contemplating using cotton. As I can't figure out how to with rayon someone on the other forum said when he get his Mage he will wick with rayon, I'm going over there now to ask him if he got it yet.
Rayon doesn't work well with the mage. It's possible but cotton is much, much easier.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rayon doesn't work well with the mage. It's possible but cotton is much, much easier.

Hi! I am china33ful on YouTube :) I was the one who said "I spy a Coilart Mage" on your OBS Engine RTA video. So when you do your vid you won't be wicking with rayon?

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi! I am china33ful on YouTube :) I was the one who said "I spy a Coilart Mage" on your OBS Engine RTA video. So when you do your vid you won't be wicking with rayon?
I thought it might be you! Not too many people make that particular request :) I filmed the mage review three times yesterday. The first two was with rayon, and it just didn't want to cooperate. The first one, despite wicking it properly, leaked like crazy. The second one did not, but did not perform to the standards I know the mage is capable of. So I went with cotton for the third video. It's one of those tanks that really benefits from the fact cotton plumps up when wet unlike rayon. I have no doubt I could get it working correctly, but doing it with a big camera setup in the way is much harder. I'm going to try again without the camera and see if I can figure out where the problem is, and hopefully re-shoot it again. Every now and again there's a tank that just is hard to do on camera for whatever reason. And this is turning out to be one of them, and I'm not really sure why, because it's not hard to build on at all..

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I thought it might be you! Not too many people make that particular request :) I filmed the mage review three times yesterday. The first two was with rayon, and it just didn't want to cooperate. The first one, despite wicking it properly, leaked like crazy. The second one did not, but did not perform to the standards I know the mage is capable of. So I went with cotton for the third video. It's one of those tanks that really benefits from the fact cotton plumps up when wet unlike rayon. I have no doubt I could get it working correctly, but doing it with a big camera setup in the way is much harder. I'm going to try again without the camera and see if I can figure out where the problem is, and hopefully re-shoot it again. Every now and again there's a tank that just is hard to do on camera for whatever reason. And this is turning out to be one of them, and I'm not really sure why, because it's not hard to build on at all..

Yeah it's me :D thanks for trying! Really appreciate it! Someone at the other forum on the rayon thread started by JeremyR was kind enough to take pics of his build with rayon step by step. I'm going to try the method he figured out for now. Lmk if you get any ideas. Thank you again! Sorry you had to do so many do overs.:hug:

skitterpop

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have two one I have been using exclusively since I got it with all my other tanks gathering dust. My new one just came in and is being built today along with a new Kayfun V5 from SXK. Hope the Kayfun can keep up.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I really like the Moonshot, so I might just have to look into a Mage.
Thanks!
The moonshot and I are a strict love hate. I love the flavor, love the performance, hate everything else about it. Everything. Building on it is so needlessly complicated. The Mage is a great tank with only one big flaw (that damn top cap) but everything else about it is very well thought out. I love the spinning deck that makes sure the wicks aren't disturbed

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The moonshot and I are a strict love hate. I love the flavor, love the performance, hate everything else about it. Everything. Building on it is so needlessly complicated. The Mage is a great tank with only one big flaw (that damn top cap) but everything else about it is very well thought out. I love the spinning deck that makes sure the wicks aren't disturbed

I think you're the first person that I've seen mention the %&=$%$¥(€&)+€$% top cap. A little knurling would have gone a loooooooong way to make this a much better tank. As it is, every time I use it, I threaten it with a file...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think you're the first person that I've seen mention the %&=$%$¥(€&)+€$% top cap. A little knurling would have gone a loooooooong way to make this a much better tank. As it is, every time I use it, I threaten it with a file...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Yeah, it should have had metal threads on the inside of the topcap, and knurling. Too easy to cross thread those Delrin threads. Also. The oring on the topcap section is crap. I noticed little threads of shredded o ring floating in my juice one day. But, if you push down really hard on the topcap as you go to unscrew, it usually comes off (unless you cross threaded, then it's plier time)

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Try not tightening the top cap so much. It barely needs any pressure at all to seal the tank. Just snug it or don't turn any more after you feel it hit the top of the tank section. I also changed that top cap o-ring. But the second I feel it hit the top of the tank...leave it alone.

But the threads DO suck.

pyccki

Member For 4 Years
Does anyone else get the little trails of dark juice coming out of the juice flow holes on their Merlin? Mine seems to do it quite a bit, even on new coils and wicks. It has done it since I first got it.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
i have it ALL THE TIME on juices with HIGH sugar,

it all depends on juice you are using.

I lost 2 o-rings cleaning mine. I know one was the one from the top cap (bottom photo) but I have no idea where the other one came from. It seemed the same size as the top cap o-ring and only one of that size was included in the spares. I had a feeling it came from where the just above where you put the coil - in the small hole where the screw in chimney stem meets the chimney barrel as show in the top photo

20160902_095440_HDR.jpg y base

If this o-ring is gone, what problems can I get?

c880ab39201e4c7288449448467baefa.jpg

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still vape on 2 of my Merlins daily. They're my main tanks, but 1 of them seeps juice pretty bad. They're both v2's. I'll change out a couple o-rings and see of that helps. If it doesn't I'll swap that v2 out for one of my older v1's (seeps less) or try something else. I ♥ love ♥ vaping on the Merlin but that seepage is going to bury a mod sooner or later.

I still vape on 2 of my Merlins daily. They're my main tanks, but 1 of them seeps juice pretty bad. They're both v2's. I'll change out a couple o-rings and see of that helps. If it doesn't I'll swap that v2 out for one of my older v1's (seeps less) or try something else. I ♥ love ♥ vaping on the Merlin but that seepage is going to bury a mod sooner or later.

Were does it seep juice from? I just got mine. I love it so far more than any other atomiser. I'd love the deck, how easy it is to wick without leaking and install coils, the look, the flavour and the drip tip. I wouldn't use another top fill that doesn't have juice flow control. I notice sometimes the outside of the glass seems to be wet and i'm not sure why. How many o-rings should this tank have in total? I love it but keep losing o-rings - 3 in 1 week - 2 on the initial clean and I still can't work out where one came from.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Were does it seep juice from? I just got mine. I love it so far more than any other atomiser. I'd love the deck, how easy it is to wick without leaking and install coils, the look, the flavour and the drip tip. I wouldn't use another top fill that doesn't have juice flow control. I notice sometimes the outside of the glass seems to be wet and i'm not sure why. How many o-rings should this tank have in total? I love it but keep losing o-rings - 3 in 1 week - 2 on the initial clean and I still can't work out where one came from.
The small ones that sit on top of the top assembly under the fill cap most likely. Sometimes it will stick to the top fill cap when removed.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All 4 of mine seep juice from the very bottom of the base. It's usually only a tiny bit every so often but it never goes away. Surprisingly, after using these as my main tanks for 3 months, I haven't lost a single o-ring. Came close a couple times though.
tongue.png

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's pretty much a mystery the source of the seeping in my case. 3 v1 bases but was sent replacement decks from subtank supply, the replacements worked for a while then started seeping too. I tapped the bases with the sockets as previous posted that worked for a while. I bought o rings as @dwcraig1 has posted 2 2mm x 1mm on the copper plated 510, 1 3mm x 1mm in the 510 opening. At this point it's very little on the bottom of the atty or mod. Different wicking. But from where is it seeping? I haven't a clue. I would think user error too except the Merlin I got in a trade here on vu is fine not one drop. :huh:

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't think there was a V5 mini...just the v3 mini. It's the same as the v5 except only holds 2ml.
The clone is listed as an SXK Kayfun V5 Mini Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer on FastTech. Looks like 3ml with the SS tank and a reported 2.6ml with the glass tank. I've read one review that claims the airflow is more open than the V3.

They call it a mini, but it's still taller than the Merlin.
unsure_zps412aa381.gif

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ahhhh, I see. I was unaware of this clone version...I keep forgetting that clones can then be cloned to odd configurations. There is no "authentic" V5 mini, but this looks nice. I like the SXK v5 full size. Built really well. Beautiful machining. BUT, for me the airflow is tooooooo tight. Quite a bit tighter than the Merlin. The Merlin is about my limit as far as airflow tightness. I wish it was a bit more open, but it is acceptable.

I'm sure this v5 mini will be a great tank if you can deal with the restricted air flow.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I couldn't afford the originals so I only check out the clones. Anything more spendy than around $40 is usually out of my reach.

I definitely agree with you on airflow. I love the airflow from the Merlin but a little more wouldn't hurt, although less is doable. I still keep a Bachelor Nano in my daily rotation, mostly because it doesn't ever leak. Gotta have at least one small leak proof tank for traveling around.

petemoss

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ahhhh, I see. I was unaware of this clone version...I keep forgetting that clones can then be cloned to odd configurations. There is no "authentic" V5 mini, but this looks nice. I like the SXK v5 full size. Built really well. Beautiful machining. BUT, for me the airflow is tooooooo tight. Quite a bit tighter than the Merlin. The Merlin is about my limit as far as airflow tightness. I wish it was a bit more open, but it is acceptable.

I'm sure this v5 mini will be a great tank if you can deal with the restricted air flow.
Yes, the Kayfun v5 airflow is on the tight side and the v5 Mini is similar. For me, the airflow is just right for MTL and even usable for DTL vaping at the most open settting. The v3 Mini is the tightest airflow with no means of adjusting, so strictly MTL. I find the v5 airflow comparable to my Merlin with the restricted airflow screw installed.

VU Sponsors