Become a Patron!

The temperature control chip clones are coming! - YiHi SX350J

Valkyrie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I expended 1000 joules to walk across the house
vacuum those suckers up pronto...after about 2 hours those expended joules get hard as rocks...
very painful if stepped on barefoot...if you have pets, they may choke on them...:D:D

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL

I have taken the stance that joules -as expressed on the J's screen- represents a potential value. Because w/o a time frame, joules doesn't wash for me.

Valkyrie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The SXmini Class M is tempting, but I won't buy it until someone with a proper grasp of physics, electricity and SI units doesn't explain to me what the fuck the joule setting does. It's a genuine question, really!
i can give it a shot...
the joule is a unit of energy, the watt is a unit of power...
power is the rate at which energy is converted from potential to kinetic energy...
so, power is some quantity of energy divided by some unit of time...
in the SI system 1 watt is equal to 1 joule per second...
real life example...a 60 watt light bulb uses 60 joules of energy every second...

hope that helps

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No. When your mod puts out 40 watts, it puts out 40 joules per second. That's the definition of a watt.

...and that is a unit of energy. 1 kWh = 3.6 MJ.

You can consume 5 kWh in one hour with a 5 kW space heater, or in 10 hours with a 500 W space heater. It is not power, and you obviously can't use it to predict how warm your house will be after you're done consuming it, anymore than you can use joules to predict how hot your coil will get in a SXmini mod.

There is no such thing as watts or joules "in vaping terms". There's watts and joules, period.

Sigh... Please people, those who skipped electricity classes at school, kindly refrain from venturing an explanation. I'm not looking for your opinion on what the joule setting means in the SXmini, I'm looking for a rational explanation that makes sense to those of us who understand what a joule is.

Not holding my breath though...
Not sure if your being deliberately obtuse or what. I know what a joule is and a watt also as obliviously you do. Not sure where you are getting the idea that they are using joules to predict the temp of the coil. You set the temp on the board and it controls the joules per second (IE: watts)according to the change in resistance in the coil. They could just as easily have called the modes adjustable static wattage mode for kanthal and automatic variable wattage mode for nickel. Bottom line is to control temp of coil you must change the voltage across the coil. The rest is just figuring how much and doing it.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just to clear up the temp thing..
You don't set the temp. You set the limit of the temp. There is a Big difference between the two.
The temp limiting lets it apply power to the coil but wont let it get over temperature 'X'.
Temp setting would be like a thermostat. You would set temp "x" and it would stay at that temp: that would be fantastic on a mod: but, that'll be the dna50. lmao

Last edited:

WiSilverVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah the TC is pretty much a requirement for future mods here as well. i got on the small powerful kick back when the dna30 first came out. that's what started my evolv fanboyism. lol
ihad a pair of vaporshark dna30's so when the 40 hit the shelf i preordered a pair of those which grew into quite a few and a diy hana box.. its one of those things that i love to hate with the TC. it drove me nuts for the longest time. then recently i got a roll of tempered ni200. omg that stuff madde it so easy- its like working with kathal almost.

I must be weird because I have a much much easier time with Ni200 than with Kanthal...oh, and I love the temp control

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find Kanthal coils are easier to wick, but Ni200 wire is easier to coil. All in all, I don't find one easier to work with than the other. Not that I use kanthal much anymore these days...

350ZMO

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got the SX Mini M-Class with the SX350J. As we suspected the Joules terminology is BS. It assumes per second, works just like every other VW/TP device. If I set it to 18J then I expect it to output 18J total whether I fire for 1 second (18W) or 18 seconds (1W for 18s) as long as it doesn't hit TP. Well it doesn't. Set it to 18J and fire for 10 seconds and it puts out 18W for 10s or 180J. It doesn't have ESP or a toke duration setting so of course it assumes per second. I feel they used Joules instead of Watts also as a gimmick. What was that movie? "We need hook for this, we need eye-catcher!" Well there ya go. Works great so far BTW, wife and I prefer it to our 40s. Heavier, feels substantial but loving the manual base resistance setting and absence of refinement. Though we are setting the temp lower by 10-20 degrees to get the same vape experience.

VU Sponsors