Become a Patron!

The temperature control chip clones are coming! - YiHi SX350J

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]with nickle in a non tc mod, you run the risk of super heating the wire and giving off nickle ions, which ain't good for your health.

Where did you get that precious tidbit of information?

Cuz you know, when you vape normally, TC and non-TC coils run roughly at the same sort of temperature range. So if you get nickel in the vapor with non-TC devices, you get it with TC devices too - and you don't anyway.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I see you are a fan boy Giraut, so here you are:

The Nickel Ionization Energy is the energy required to remove from atom one mole of electrons with subsequent production of positively charged ion of Nickel. Ni -> Ni+ + e- This process can be repeated many times, but the energy cost is increased dramatically. Enthalpy of atomization for nickel: 431kj

The general equation for the Nickel is: NiN+ -> Ni(N+1)+ + e-

Ni -> Ni1+ = 736.7 kJ/mol = 176.24 Kcal/mol
Ni1+ -> Ni2+ = 1753 kJ/mol = 419.38 Kcal/mol
Ni2+ -> Ni3+ = 3393 kJ/mol = 811.72 Kcal/mol
Ni3+ -> Ni4+ = 5300 kJ/mol = 1267.94 Kcal/mol
Ni4+ -> Ni5+ = 7280 kJ/mol = 1741.63 Kcal/mol
Ni5+ -> Ni6+ = 10400 kJ/mol = 2488.04 Kcal/mol
Ni6+ -> Ni7+ = 12800 kJ/mol = 3062.20 Kcal/mol
Ni7+ -> Ni8+ = 15600 kJ/mol = 3732.06 Kcal/mol
Ni8+ -> Ni9+ = 18600 kJ/mol = 4449.76 Kcal/mol
Ni9+ -> Ni10+ = 21660 kJ/mol = 5181.82 Kcal/mol

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Zamazam: you misread my post. I am not a fanboy. I genuinely want to know where you got the information, because I vape nickel coils!

I'll check out the interesting information you kindly posted later (I'm on the road right now). Thank!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see you are a fan boy Giraut, so here you are:

The Nickel Ionization Energy is the energy required to remove from atom one mole of electrons with subsequent production of positively charged ion of Nickel. Ni -> Ni+ + e- This process can be repeated many times, but the energy cost is increased dramatically. Enthalpy of atomization for nickel: 431kj

The general equation for the Nickel is: NiN+ -> Ni(N+1)+ + e-

Ni -> Ni1+ = 736.7 kJ/mol = 176.24 Kcal/mol
Ni1+ -> Ni2+ = 1753 kJ/mol = 419.38 Kcal/mol
Ni2+ -> Ni3+ = 3393 kJ/mol = 811.72 Kcal/mol
Ni3+ -> Ni4+ = 5300 kJ/mol = 1267.94 Kcal/mol
Ni4+ -> Ni5+ = 7280 kJ/mol = 1741.63 Kcal/mol
Ni5+ -> Ni6+ = 10400 kJ/mol = 2488.04 Kcal/mol
Ni6+ -> Ni7+ = 12800 kJ/mol = 3062.20 Kcal/mol
Ni7+ -> Ni8+ = 15600 kJ/mol = 3732.06 Kcal/mol
Ni8+ -> Ni9+ = 18600 kJ/mol = 4449.76 Kcal/mol
Ni9+ -> Ni10+ = 21660 kJ/mol = 5181.82 Kcal/mol

Okay, that doesn't say anything about:

- Whether nickel ionization occurs in significant quantity with the base metal in solid form,

- Whether the ions (or other nickel compounds - oxides or others) actually get dissolved in PG or VG, particularly considering that it doesn't necessarily sit in the atomizer for a very long time, and there isn't that much of it actually in contact with the base metal,

- The rate at which this may occur, and the influence of temperature - especially around 300C, which is what interests vapers,

- Most importantly, assuming liquid VG and/or PG carries harmful amounts of nickel, whether the nickel gets vaporized alongside the liquids and gets in the vapor, or whether it stays behind in the atomizer,

- And if traces of nickel are found in the vapor, whether the concentration carries significant toxicity, especially compared to what you get out of regular cigarettes.

Now, objectively, my grounding in chemistry is much too flimsy to answer any of these questions - and I'm not an toxicologist either. But I suspect testing would have to occur to answer them.

My original reasons for stating that nickel doesn't dissolve willy-nilly into the juice (and into the vapor, which again, is another thing altogether) are:

- If significant amounts of nickel got into the juice, you'd see the resistance of the coil slowly creep up as the wire sheds material and becomes thinner. However, I don't see this at all: my coil consistently reads 0.21 ohms +- 0.01 at room temperature, and I've been using the same coil for weeks.

- Nickel wire has been used for years as non-resistance wire in cartos and atomizer heads, and to my knowledge there hasn't been a rash of nickel-related reactions in vapers.

- After a short while, nickel gets covered in oxide that's non-porous, and that layer of oxide gets covered a little later with a layer of the black gunk that we all know and hate (but I don't know if the gunk itself is non-porous). That isolates the juice from the base metal, and to a certain extent, from the layer of oxide.

Having said all that, your post at least introduces doubts in my mind.

As it turns out, I may have a way to get partial answers: my company deals with chrome and nickel plating, and they have a testing lab to comply with REACH requirements. Surely they have means to test for the presence of nickel in solutions. If they do, I'll leave them the wick in my atomizer for them to test: it's been in there for over a week and it's high time I changed it. If it contains nickel, it should be as satutated with the stuff as can be. And if it does come out positive, then I'll get them to test condensed vapor.

If my company can't or won't test my samples, I know a jeweler who has a solution to assay precious metal alloys and test for the presence of nickel.

Of course, if any of these tests come out negative, it won't say anything about the presence of nickel in the juice - just that this particular test doesn't detect it. But if they come out positive, then that'd be a worry.

I'll let you know what my company's labrat says tomorrow.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Additionally, I'd love to read what Evolv has to say about this. I sure hope they carried out tests before releasing the DNA40 board.

I'll shoot them an email...

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nickle is extremely low resistance wire, the whole point of using it in a TC regulated mod is to regulate temperature, with nickle in a non tc mod, you run the risk of super heating the wire and giving off nickle ions, which ain't good for your health.
This is what I had heard and what I was referring to with my previous comment, NitroBex has mentioned these types of concerns with the use of nickel for vaping in a non tc mod.

350ZMO

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The taste will let you know immediately and not because of ions. Same thing can happen with Kanthal.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is what I had heard and what I was referring to with my previous comment, NitroBex has mentioned these types of concerns with the use of nickel for vaping in a non tc mod.

A mod with TC and one that doesn't have the feature, but that's setup properly and doesn't produce dry hits, operate roughly at the same temperature. Therefore, should a nickel coil leach nickel into the juice, it would do so with or without TC. Hence my earlier comment.

Or, put another way, if I'm okay to vape a nickel coil with a DNA40 mod, I have no reason to be afraid of vaping a nickel coil with any other mod.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A mod with TC and one that doesn't have the feature, but that's setup properly and doesn't produce dry hits, operate roughly at the same temperature. Therefore, should a nickel coil leach nickel into the juice, it would do so with or without TC. Hence my earlier comment.

Or, put another way, if I'm okay to vape a nickel coil with a DNA40 mod, I have no reason to be afraid of vaping a nickel coil with any other mod.
Thus his comment "you run the risk of super heating the wire and giving off nickle ions,"

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I won't: TC is a million dollar idea. I can't vape without it. It's the implementation that sucks. But the concept is sound and very desirable.

I won't: TC is a million dollar idea. I can't vape without it. It's the implementation that sucks. But the concept is sound and very desirable.

Well, we are different.
IMO, it is only good against dry hit if the implementation is good. The rest is probably Bs, unless u use it in a device where all parts are rigidly preset from coil gauge, build, resistance, wick, atomizer, watt etc. AND liquid! Even the flavoring of the otherwise preset PG/VG mix can modify the boiling point enough to make the fine temp tune useless.
And the the million dollar idea, namely to marketing the ages old industry standard of using high TCR material for TC, and sell it as revolutionary, which definitely isnt, not even in vaping cf: dry herbs, just makes me mad.
Yes, it can yield a mill to evolv, for basically nothing, but I would have appreciared if they had adapted the idea professionally to eliquid vaping instead a dumb implementation sweetened with world class BS hype.
For the sake of the argument let me give u a few examples:
1.,The hyped liquid overheat protection is definitely Bs, at least on the dna 40 board. I simply couldn't get any moist wick-coil combo over the max limit. If it is possible to heat a properly wicked coil over 600F at all, this board is simply not poverful enough to do that. In other world, it is selling a built in protetion feature against something it isnt capable of doing. A kids bike w/ training wheels w/ an expensive and well hyped 200mph built in temp limiter.
2., Evolv clamed that they could have got 200+w out of their board but they rather focus on safety. My board is getting ridiculously hot over 20w, like their other things did and sometimes the board selfprotection kicks in. In my experienve, it is STILL a dna20, just overclocked.
And yes, chinese boards can melt. Except yihi. Yihi was thoulsand time better in vw than evolv an I hope it will be in TC too.
Pls don't get me wrong. The evolv guys are nice guys. And they have good ideas. They are just not professionals. At least not in engineering an production, they are bloody good in marketing tho.
I just hope, that yihi or someone else will come up with a professional TC board instead of cloning an interesting but unprofessional thing.
And yes, I am angry because I want to beleive in TC vaping an evolv made me feel stupid to get myself sold on their disappointing board.

Well, I would embrace a professional TC too. It is just that the evolv package disappoints me a lot. That is why I hope that yihi wont do any cloning but build their own, hopefully professional board, as they did in the past.*

In terms of million dollar idea: it is not. Ages old industry standard. Not even new in vaping as dry herb vaporizers are using TC.
The question is whether it can be used properly in a fully customizable environment ( wire, coil, wick, liquid properties etc) or not.
Evolv's ridiculously basic and dumb implementation is definitely a not go to me. :(

* I actually wish that they build an evolv clone board around their chip and I can retrofit my rdna40 but it will never happen. My rdna 40 will operate in vw mode under 20w for the time being as it is what it is really and reliably capable for IMO

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]In terms of million dollar idea: it is not. Ages old industry standard. Not even new in vaping as dry herb vaporizers are using TC.[...]

Okay, maybe I should have put it another way: TC isn't new for sure. But TC done using the heating element itself, that doesn't require a special atomizer, or a special connector to read a separate temperature sensor, and only requires changing the coil wire - that's the million dollar idea: suddenly, people could buy a mod, plug in their favorite atomizer, redo the coil and voila! instant TC. That's very clever, I think.

Well, IMO, it is excatly where you and evolv are both wrong.
There are thoulsands of application where it works perfectly. I am pretty sure that you can find things, where it is sort of self regulated, ie. using given voltage TC wire gonna have increased resistance as heats up which yield lower current hence lower wattage. If I had a capable vv mod, or at least my temp sensor equipped multimeter has not been just stolen I would do my planned experiment right now, even on a mech mod, to see if I can build some coil which selfregulatse itself on a given voltage reaching some equilibrium or not.
And this is the point: with or without programmed regulation a given heating element (given gauge, lenght, build type etc.) can be perfectly calibrated even though the only output you can use is the AVERAGE resistance and AVERAGE temperature calculated out of the resistance. But if you have time, even trial and error will do.
But, and it is a big BU,. it will work only for that very coil. Like it works where the heating element is designed along with the whole equipment. With customizable heating element used in customizable medium (ie. different eliquids, wicked differently) what you have is basically an average temperature which can means a lot of things, including huge differences in local temp along the wire. Not just hotspots, but in some long macrocoils, fully dry and lit up middle and moist and cool other areas.
Whether it can be tackled by some advanced mathematical formula ( I.e. applied wattage vs speed and magnitude of temp change vs general wire properties vs general coil properties) I dunno. I don't know either whether it should be at all.
What I know:
1.,Evolv one size fits all approach is scrap.
2., The less the more. Focusing only on dryhits w/o onesizefitsall preheat and coil prediction would work for me better.
3., Speaking of high end, any app backed temp control with preset and custom options would do no harm either. Eg. you could set response time, wattage range to your gauge/ built, dialing your tc vape as you wish with some foolprof dry hit backup allways set on @600F.
Something like that and I would call it a gamechanger. Especially if you can save ur preferences.

And I dont think yihi will make it either. But at least their board is upgradable. So it is not completely impossible that sooner or later it will work for me.
My dna 40 wont. That is for sure :(

Last edited:
Bottom line:
Using the heating element itself isn't new either.
Using it for eliquid vaping is a promising idea indeed. Hope someone will do something with it in a professional way in the foreseeable future.
Many thanks to evolv for bringing the idea into eliquid vaping.
To hell with evolv bringing it in by an unprofessional and overhyped product which I happened to buy and feel myself fooled and ripped off.
And yes, I haven't done my homework either prior to buying but afterward only. And it was then, when I realised, that I was ripped off indeed. I didn't know either how common their big idea was and probably even a home appliace mechanic knows everything about it let alone furnance/appliance makers, electricians, engineers.

If the product was all right I wouldn't care.
But now I do care.
That is why I am writing my head of to highlight my opinion that evov's big new idea is not big, neither new, but a shameful hype over a simple, but otherwise promising idea focusing on our bank account rather than on the future of vaping.
Business as usual. I have some rather common info unknown for you, because you are working on a different field, creating some mystic hype around it to protect the source, including how big work and research it was to invent the obvious, and selling as a premium something only for your wellbeing of course.

Bottom line:
Using the heating element itself isn't new either.
Using it for eliquid vaping is a promising idea indeed. Hope someone will do something with it in a professional way in the foreseeable future.
Many thanks to evolv for bringing the idea into eliquid vaping.
To hell with evolv bringing it in by an unprofessional and overhyped product which I happened to buy and feel myself fooled and ripped off.
And yes, I haven't done my homework either prior to buying but afterward only. And it was then, when I realised, that I was ripped off indeed. I didn't know either how common their big idea was and probably even a home appliace mechanic knows everything about it let alone furnance/appliance makers, electricians, engineers.

If the product was all right I wouldn't care.
But now I do care.
That is why I am writing my head of to highlight my opinion that evov's big new idea is not big, neither new, but a shameful hype over a simple, but otherwise promising idea focusing on our bank account rather than on the future of vaping.
Business as usual. I have some rather common info unknown for you, because you are working on a different field, creating some mystic hype around it to protect the source, including how big work and research it was to invent the obvious, and selling as a premium something only for your wellbeing of course.

Lol all this vitriol over a couple of hundred bucks and getting duped by the hype...truly a lonelyvaper indeed. Stop sulking and go create, develop your own technology and try to honestly sell it to the public when it's fully developed...lol you wouldn't make it past the first prototype. Stick with mech mods so you can never be duped again.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, IMO, it is excatly where you and evolv are both wrong.
There are thoulsands of application where it works perfectly.[... ]

I think you missed my point: it is not a technical good idea (well it is, but it's not earth-shattering). It's a MARKETING good idea.

Before the DNA40, there was an established vaping market, more or less standardized around the 510 and Ego connectors, and a bazillion different models of rebuildable atomizers already out there, more or less all accepting one or two coils between two or three posts.

Evolv found a way to piggyback on the existing hardware to enhance its functionality. They gave all vapers who already invested (sometimes heavily) in their vaping hardware an opportunity to get even more out it. Who wouldn't want that eh?

Even better, since their TC only requires minimal modifications, they aren't fighting user inertia and aversion to change habits.

That's the million dollar idea. I reckon if Evolv had come out with a flawless implementation, and had communicated a lot more than they did to sell it, they'd have taken the market by storm.

Frankly, when I first heard of their TC board, I remember thinking: this makes so much sense, and requires so little change that all atty manufacturers will offer nicket coils, all mod manudacturers will jump on this thing, and sooner or later, non-TC mods will be pushed to the wayside. Hell, I even remember thinking they could even convince lawmakers to outlaw non-TC mods, by selling them an easy health & safety rhetoric.

Well, it hasn't happened. Evolv blew it. Big time. But the fact remains that they had a great idea, and a fantastic opportunity to corner the market with it.

But then, perhaps I'm naive and easily impressed... :)

Last edited:
Lol all this vitriol over a couple of hundred bucks and getting duped by the hype...truly a lonelyvaper indeed. Stop sulking and go create, develop your own technology and try to honestly sell it to the public when it's fully developed...lol you wouldn't make it past the first prototype. Stick with mech mods so you can never be duped again.
Fair enough:)
And indeed, evolv made me a mech vaper, lol. I have never done this before but I actually like it.
In terms of development, no thanks. At least, not yet. I got other projects to do first.
But FYI: I am lonely due to my location. And have no chance to try anything before I buy it and get posted. And it is sucks. I have to rely on the internet, manufacturers claims etc. And after weeks/months of waitingI can end up with a useless device. And it is not good.

I think you missed my point: it is not a technical good idea (well it is, but it's not earth-shattering). It's a MARKETING good idea.

Before the DNA40, there was an established vaping market, more or less standardized around the 510 and Ego connectors, and a bazillion different models of rebuildable atomizers already out there, more or less all accepting one or two coils between two or three posts.

Evolv found a way to piggyback on the existing hardware to enhance its functionality. They gave all vapers who already invested (sometimes heavily) in their vaping hardware an opportunity to get even more out it. Who wouldn't want that eh?

Even better, since their TC only requires minimal modifications, they aren't fighting user inertia and aversion to change habits.

That's the million dollar idea. I reckon if Evolv had come out with a flawless implementation, and had communicated a lot more than they did to sell it, they'd have taken the market by storm.

Frankly, when I first heard of their TC board, I remember thinking: tthis makes so much sense, and requires so little change that all atty manufacturers will offer nicket coils, all mod manudacturers will jump on this thing, and sooner or later, non-TC mods will be pushed to the wayside. Hell, I even remember thinking they could even convince lawmakers to outlaw non-TC mods, by selling them an easy health & safety rhetoric.

Well, it hasn't happened. Evolv blew it. Big time. But the fact remains that they had a great idea, and a fantastic opportunity to corner the market with it.

But then, perhaps I'm naive and easily impressed... :)

Hmm
Marketing wise smart for sure. And they even won a few months over China.
And I armit that I am probably overreacting the whole issue.
My bad.
I am just dissapointed that it is nothing really more than a hype. I wish it was working as advertised. And voicing my opinion is basically the only thing I can do against this rather empty hype and to encourage any real development regarding to vape safety.
The other thing, I am working on, thought delayed by my recent loss, to experiment with different high TCR alloys and probably with different regulating methods, and make it public. Time permits.
Anyway, thanks for letting me understand your point and reading mine.
Keep calm and vape on :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure man, no problem :)

But personally I don't think TC is hype: it's all I wanted and then some. Evolv is to be praised for coming up with the idea, and even for implementing the TC part of their firmware impeccably. Never had a problem with that bit. It's all the rest, and their stubborn lack of communication, that piss the hell outta me.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll throw out that from what I am seeing others post about their success with the DNA 40 in TC mode... it isn't hyped either. It does work well when setup properly and there are too many users that are not having issues with it for it to be just hype. Most did go through a learning curve to get it working .... but once they got past that they praise it. The flaws also do exist... but the TC portion from what most everyone else is reporting is working as it should.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

But personally I don't think TC is hype: it's all I wanted and then some. Evolv is to be praised for coming up with the idea, and even for implementing the TC part of their firmware impeccably. Never had a problem with that bit. It's all the rest, and their stubborn lack of communication, that piss the hell outta me.
I did praise Evolv. When everyone else was VV they went VW with the Darwin. When everyone else was selling regulated units, they let you regulate mechs with the Kick. They got me interested in and chasing more regulated power with the DNA 20, and then 30. Now, when 150 watts is readily available anywhere, they give me what? 40 watts and a temperature control gimmick? Oh, good! Because that's exactly what we high wattage vapers want. Less temperature? And now, of course, they introduce the DNA25. It's cutting edge, because it has all the new gimmick with less power?

I'm not in love with buying Chinese stuff. I have nothing against it really, and I do from time to time, but if I have a viable choice I try not to. I have converted over to mods running the Murata chips, like the OKL T20. It's VV, of course, not VW, but it can put out 110 watts and there's no display to get scrambled or menu to mess with. Just build, plug, turn the dial, and vape. If you want to control the temp, just build it right and keep it wet. And as a bonus, the chip is made in Massachusetts.

I don't blame Evolv for chasing this rabbit. I'm sure there is more money in it for them, as it can be very useful to new vapers or those that don't want to make a hobby out of it. I just don't believe they are leading the advanced market anymore. To an extent I am proud of them for what they have accomplished here. Nice to see an American company creating the next new craze for entry level vapers. It's just pretty much useless for a guy like me who wants to vape in the 50 to 80 watt range and knows how to keep a wick wet.

Well, I'm a recent adopter of the DNA40 utilizing a VaporFlask and have to say, I like it. I also appreciate the direction Provari, Evolve and Chinese manufactures are pushing the innovations/adaptions of technology to Vaping. Regardless of where and when the adaptions come from, I love that it's getting introduced to vaping and making advancements. To be honest, It wasn't until the introduction of the Provari's and Kayfun style atomizers that vaping actually got me completely off analogs. I have been smoke free since Dec 2014.

I'm an average dude...but Temperature control seems like a GREAT adaptation for vaping. The ability to not burn your wicking material and not overcook the eliquid make a lot of sense to me. The ability to simply build a coil made of NI and apply its usage to ANY atomizer and have TC is just outstanding. I dont care what the technical crap is of how this came about. All I know is not burning my wick and over cooking my eliquid has got to be a good thing.

My VaporFlask DNA40 works in TC mode. I dont know or care what the readings say I do know if my wick and eliquid are burnt my vape experience is nasty. I have had some good builds with TC and bad ones...When the bad ones occur I simply attach my Kanger Mini SubTank with NI heads and It works as advertised which means the problematic build on the atty causing problems needs to be redone. It's only been 10 days since I have had the VS so I guess time will tell if the board begins to fail or not work. So far so good.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I own two of these devices from Vapor Shark one old style one new have never had a problem with either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The ability to not burn your wicking material and not overcook the eliquid make a lot of sense to me.
I agree with that. I quit with V2 cig-a-likes back in 2012 and I never got a burnt hit off of them until the cartomizer was empty. The more advanced gear at the time was really easy to get burnt hits with. Vivi Novas, CE2's and the like. Or for rebuildables, you had the Phoenix or Bulldogs, or tanks like the genesis or the odysseus. Temp Control was probably something I would have gone for then. But now, with the advent of Kayfun style tanks and drippers, and better wicking materials, if you're getting burnt hits you're either out of juice, wicking it wrong, or putting too much power to it. Again, for newer vapers who use a Nautilus or ProTank or some similar device, this could be a problem that temp control can fix. For more advanced vapers though, it's reinventing the wheel over a flat tire. Evolv pretty much wished us well, and took a different direction.

I believe in the TCed future too. Hope will happen with various devices as Evolv doesn't really do for me. I need something better engineered.
But I understand that there are plenty vapers out there are just happy with it as it is.
Either because they like it this way or they would just like it anyway, no matter what.
Like one overly satisfied VS rdna 40 user who was thinking the world of how the TC smoothed up his vape when it kicked in and put an end on his rough initial unTCed vape.
Poor bastard haven't realised that the rough initial kick is evolv's up to 40w preheat and his TC smoothed vape is actually his default vape when TC does nothing at all.
Anyway, if you like it as it is, use it, I rather wait for other options and use my dna40 for experimental purposes only.

But let me add something to the impeccable part.

What happens if you vape on nickel wire on any device, given that the resistance is set all right?

On a mech, not much. Probably gonna ruin your vape a bit as you will loose power as the coil heats up and its resistance increases. Then quite likely you will reach some equilibrium on an actual wattage lower than your target/initial.

On a vw/vv device, you will experience either the same (if it samples and calculates once, when firing up), or it will adjust on the go and you have a normal regulated vape, or stops on you saying check the atty.

Dna 40 with TC on, after a temp limit linked (and aparently only temp limit linked, regardless of the target wattage) pereheat kick you have your desired vape.

Dna 40 TC off. Now evolv gonna give you a 40w kick for circa a sec, like it or not. And if you happen to run dry, then it will be a 40w dry hit, even if your watt setting is far lower.

Of course, you shouldn't switch on temp control vaping on nickel.
Why? Because evolv may punish you in a way no other device would if you use high TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance) coil on it. And if you are a sub40w vaper, evolv might show you how a dry hit tastes on 40w.

In other word, the supersafe evolv will punish a mistake hard meanwhile no other device would punish it at all. Again, given that the room temp resistance would suit your wattage preference.

Disclaimer: I didn't make this mistake. Just played with the thing and realised that the preheat can and will kick in if the coil is still warm from the previous firing even with TC off.
Btw, if your not-TC build is not perfect, eg. one of the terminal is a bit loose, it tends to take it for nickel, and doing funny things instead of a simple atomizer warning.

And this is just the TC. Screen and warming up issues just sweetening the deal.

But if you guys happy with it, so be it, I dont mind.
For me, it is nothing more, than an interesting, experimental, prelease quality board sold as a professional, high end gamechanger.

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]But now, with the advent of Kayfun style tanks and drippers, and better wicking materials, if you're getting burnt hits you're either out of juice, wicking it wrong, or putting too much power to it.[...]

Drippers, my friend, drippers... Not everybody uses tanks. However good the design and the wicking material, when a RDA is empty, it's gonna hit you :)

TC is really useful for drippers. But I'd say if you want to get the most vapor out of a tank, it's great to keep the power at the edge of what the tank's design can bear without generating any acrolein. And of course, it's a great safety net for newbies who don't really know what they're doing.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@lonelyvaper: I think you misunderstand pre-heat. What it does is put max power to the coil until it reaches your set temperature. Therefore, firstly there's no pre-heat in non-TC mode by definition, and secondly it won't give you a dry hit even if you fire the atomizer dry and with the coil already sizzling hot.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hope you are wrong.
If my preordered Yihi SX Mini M doesn't turn out being any better than my dna40 mod I will give up on TC for sure.
Where did you preorder one?????
And are they serviceable in the USA???? By whom??
I cam across some qc issues on the current mini that were not being honored through YIHI's warranty and while I have an SX chip powered mod, shelling out 200$ on a regulated mod without support just kind of makes me pause.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where did you preorder one?????
And are they serviceable in the USA???? By whom??
I cam across some qc issues on the current mini that were not being honored through YIHI's warranty and while I have an SX chip powered mod, shelling out 200$ on a regulated mod without support just kind of makes me pause.
Yeti vapes has them for 199.00
As to the warranty and service agreement I have nothing to add.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No problem. I am wanting to know how it performs so if you get one let us know.
I want one, but not until I see how the warranty is honored on these first.otherwise i'll wait and see, I have 7 dna40 mods one is DIY , and, while I've had a scrambled screen or two, it was just a phone call and a couple days to replace. something from, china with zero US support at 200$, I my wait and see what other people say. Granted I have a couple sx330 mods that are great, but I have a few dna30s also..... know what I mean?

Last edited:

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Drippers, my friend, drippers... Not everybody uses tanks. However good the design and the wicking material, when a RDA is empty, it's gonna hit you :)

TC is really useful for drippers. But I'd say if you want to get the most vapor out of a tank, it's great to keep the power at the edge of what the tank's design can bear without generating any acrolein. And of course, it's a great safety net for newbies who don't really know what they're doing.
Well, I did mention drippers and that is what I use 90% of the time. And yes, when a dripper is out of juice you will get a burnt hit... if you fire it that way. The thing is you can taste and hear when the wick is about to go dry. If you pay attention to it and drip before it does go dry, than you won't get burnt hits. But yes, the design is good for newbies, which is apparently the direction in which Evolv has chosen to head.

Vicious Vaperz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Why do you think Brandon and John? were in China last month ?
Do you honestly think Brandon was trying to buy or learn about Chinese chip sets hahaha I say.

TC is up for sale to the highest Chinese bidder.
Which is fine of Brandon it's his patent or whatever intelectual rights he holds.
He can do with them what he wants.
Just be honest and trasnparent about it.

I wonder how VS will feel when they're sales take a nose `dive because of their overpriced nonsense.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think VS' products are extremely overpriced: when you factor in the good build quality, wireless charging option, the cost of the DNA40 and the excellent customer support, I reckon you're not really paying through the nose for a quality mod.

Vaporflask on the other hand...

Vicious Vaperz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think VS' products are extremely overpriced: when you factor in the good build quality, wireless charging option, the cost of the DNA40 and the excellent customer support, I reckon you're not really paying through the nose for a quality mod.

Vaporflask on the other hand...

Owned a VS have you Giraut ?
Dealt with Vapor Shark have you Giraut ?

The finish is deploreable.
Flakes and chips off showing the nice grey zinc alloy base underneath.
Yup worth every penny . lol
I'm being nice by the way. Could go on and on.

I was not impressed at all and i really tried hard to like it.
I bought it new and sold it after 1 month of use.
There are some much better out there at a far more reasonable cost IMHO.

This is only my opinion .

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Owned a VS have you Giraut ?
Dealt with Vapor Shark have you Giraut ?

Yes and yes.

The finish is deploreable.

Mine's flawless.

Flakes and chips off showing the nice grey zinc alloy base underneath.

Again, mine's flawless. I think perhaps you bought a defective unit. My experience, and that of many other VS owners as far as I can tell, isn't remorely as poor as yours.

Yup worth every penny . lol
I'm being nice by the way. Could go on and on.

I was not impressed at all and i really tried hard to like it.
I bought it new and sold it after 1 month of use.
There are some much better out there at a far more reasonable cost IMHO.

This is only my opinion .

If you bought a defective unit, I can understand that you're pissed off. However, it seems you're in the unlucky minority of unhappy VS customers.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes and yes.

Mine's flawless.

Again, mine's flawless. I think perhaps you bought a defective unit. My experience, and that of many other VS owners as far as I can tell, isn't remorely as poor as yours.

If you bought a defective unit, I can understand that you're pissed off. However, it seems you're in the unlucky minority of unhappy VS customers.

I currently have several VS mods, a pair of Dna30s, a pair od dna40s and a few rdna40s ...the finish is fine on all of mine other than a few wear marks around the 510. They stay in the skin all day; but, I do take the skin off when they go on the charger at night.
I've had a 'screen garble issue' and it was only a phone call to resolve so I've gotta say the customer service has been great. Especially coming from provape. those people changed me ten bucks to replace the screen cover on a 30 day old mod, and would only send me two word email correspondence a day.
Anyway I agree the sharks are a great value for the money. I wont compare it to a flask because I've never seen one in person, but it just never really appealed to me.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why does that statement crack me up? :D

Would you care to elaborate? I'm only a recent VS customer myself, but from what I've read so far, the consensus is that they make pretty nice hardware.
Or did I miss an episode? :)

(Not talking about the DNA40 shenanigans here, just problems related to VS themselves.)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]I wont compare it to a flask because I've never seen one in person, but it just never really appealed to me.

To sum things up, as mods go, the Flask is a middle-aged diva: she's gorgeous, but she costs a bundle, has a knack for being finicky and totally annoying, and looks better on the outside than on the inside.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
To sum things up, as mods go, the Flask is a middle-aged diva: she's gorgeous, but she costs a bundle, has a knack for being finicky and totally annoying, and looks better on the outside than on the inside.
As in the buttons or 510? I mean its the same board, so it should operate the same with a longer battery life .

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As in the buttons or 510? I mean its the same board, so it should operate the same with a longer battery life .

Nah, those are fine. More than fine actually.

It's really two stupid things: the battery compartments that are a little too narrow to accept 3/4th of the nice 18650 batteries you'd want to run in them, and the wobbly USB socket - that the manufacturer insists is "normal".

The + and - buttons that aren't both flush with the casing's surface aren't terribly great either, come to think of it. At that price...

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been wanting to be a VS customer for some time, and I know VS makes nice hardware. but reading the forums about the evolv software bugs here, reddit, & ecf, the statement to my ears sounds like "the unlucky minority of the unhappy majority".... (bad joke I know) Sad thing about it is, one cannot separate the dna40 software bug problems from the nice hardware.... yet. To me, no matter how good the TC works on the dna40, the software bugs are completely inexcusable.

The dna40 clone flasks with TC are now shipping, and looking forward to hearing how well, if at all, the TC works on them. Will be a good indicator whether or not the clone company(s) have it figured out or not. So far the Chinese Smok M80 has been a fail with TC.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nah, those are fine. More than fine actually.

It's really two stupid things: the battery compartments that are a little too narrow to accept 3/4th of the nice 18650 batteries you'd want to run in them, and the wobbly USB socket - that the manufacturer insists is "normal".

The + and - buttons that aren't both flush with the casing's surface aren't terribly great either, come to think of it. At that price...
Well, some computer firms want those USB ports 'wobbly' because of the usage they typically get. They have a type that almost 'bites' the male USB plug it puts the stress of pulling and manipulation of the connection on the cord rather than the board, school of thought is, the cord will foul up first. Not saying that's the case obviously, I haven't seen one. but my tablets are built the same way. I jut don like the size and shape. To the price point, I have a 250$ cap on any mod.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been wanting to be a VS customer for some time, and I know VS makes nice hardware. but reading the forums about the evolv software bugs here, reddit, & ecf, the statement to my ears sounds like "the unlucky minority of the unhappy majority".... (bad joke I know) Sad thing about it is, one cannot separate the dna40 software bug problems from the nice hardware.... yet. To me, no matter how good the TC works on the dna40, the software bugs are completely inexcusable.

The dna40 clone flasks with TC are now shipping, and looking forward to hearing how well, if at all, the TC works on them. Will be a good indicator whether or not the clone company(s) have TC figured out or not. So far the Chinese Smok M80 has been a fail with TC.
If it helps any...out of 7 dna40s that I own 1 had the bug, it was no questions sake, 5 day turn around.
I more than understand not wanting to deal with it. But, if you do, both evolve and the modders are all doing well with dealing with customers.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it helps any...out of 7 dna40s that I own 1 had the bug, it was no questions sake, 5 day turn around.
I more than understand not wanting to deal with it. But, if you do, both evolve and the modders are all doing well with dealing with customers.
Whatever the case may be, there are just way too many people posting problems with the chip. A guy on reddit posted that he bought VS40 from the Vaporshark booth at a trade show, walked away, fired it up, and the screen scrambled immediately, which prompted about 30 other people to comment about how theirs are messed up too. Until this becomes a rock solid device, I'm not going to be warm and fuzzy about shelling out 200 bucks. But I do really want one. The form factor is really nice.

VU Sponsors