Vapor Flask V2 clone by SXK : unboxed

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How difficult was that board swap @dre ? I want a real DNA40 device and love the vaporflask but I'm set with paying $250 for it! I've done a lot of soldering and electronics work in the past but never broken into a mod.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Weird, I love the packaging lol Smart little yellow gift bx, spot on!! thanks for the heads up Nikki :) How are you getting on with the device?

I do as well Robby, I don't think they should have changed it. And it appears that FT now has the "new packaging", and I believe that any stock that FC receives from this week going forward will have the "new packaging" as well. ... While FT has not, and I believe cannot confirm theirs as Kangxin, I am fairly certain that it is, albeit a slightly janky version with the tarnished 510, painted threads, and missing "made in the USA" engraving.

I am getting on brilliantly with this device so far Robby :) In fact, I was testing another Kangxin Flask before I sent it out a friend, and once I tried it I immediately set my red one up for a vape because its really good. Now, there are some differences between the Kangxin which I am now hesitant to call a clone, and the authentic Evolv DNA 40. Namely what happens on the display while in use, and also once TP is activated.

Unless my memory is failing me (ETA: MSGNYC CONFIRMED THAT MY MEMORY IS BAD :p), once the desired TP level is set on the authentic, that temp setting remains on display screen below the resistance while firing. When TP kicks in you will see the wattage setting scrolling up and down as the chip adjusts output to keep your atomizer below the set TP limit ... the Kangxin display values and behaviors are a little different, in a way I think its better.

As you know, when the Kangxin is firing it will display the real time temp of the atomizer, and if the device needs to go into to TP then the display just flashes Temperature Protected, and I can feel the decrease in power even though the value of the decrease is not being displayed on screen ... so these two chips are a little different, and its enough of a difference that I am not sure it should be called a clone chip.

I have the Kangxin set to the same 450F which is the default setting of the Evolv DNA 40, and also the setting that I used while I had the Vapor Shark rDNA. To me, the vape with the Kangxin doesn't feel as flat as the vape felt to me with the Evolv DNA 40. I didn't have the VS rDNA long because I didn't care for the device really, and I really didn't care for the vape in TP mode. However, I have been enjoying the vape in TP at 450F/.20ohm/14.5W was more than I enjoyed the VS rDNA at 450F/.14ohm/30W.

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
:p

Nikkita, my authentic shows the firing temp aswell while its firing below the set temp which I do like. It does show the wattage changes tho as it's throttling back which I dont care either way.

Can't wait for my V3 to show up. Only disappointment with the V3 I've incoming I didn't notice until after it was shipped. It has an adjustable 510 not spring loaded which some people may prefer anyways. I can swap that tho which I may because Im not a huge fan of the threading being copper.

Is your V3 spring loaded or manually adjustable? Copper threading or stainless? Ask if its a new or used coil when changing coil/atomizer? Fire directly out of sleep? :p

Does it? See this is what I couldn't remember clearly, I thought it only showed the TP setting, not the firing temp .. I don't have the VS anymore, and I was relying on my memory and my review notes for how the authentic functioned. I only remembered seeing the wattage changing once the device went into TP mode.

The V3 Flask clone is actually brass with nickel and copper plating I believe. My V3 is manually adjusted, it asks for confirmation or "new or same atty" when the atomizer is changed, and mine fires immediately from sleep. I saw a few comments about a slight delay on some, but mine has no delay at all.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Does it fire immediately from sleep??? :p

I have found also that around 450 is a good setting. Anything around 400-420 does bring the TC on. All that means is that the wicking isnt quite keeping up with demand, so it is very sensitive and works very well. Even if you run it dry at a 450 setting, the TC will come in of course, but it wont burn the wick at all :) I use a Magma dripper almost exclusively and despite the number of very dry wicks this coil and wick are still going great after about a week. The wick is still as white as cotton ;)

Yes, mine fires immediately from sleep with no delay. 450F is where I used the authentic when I had it, anything lower brought on the TP too soon as well.

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've yet to open my v2 up. No reason to YET.
This is the DNA tray from the Yosen tho. Unsure if its the same as the V2s or the V3s everyone else has/getting. This board def looks longer then the dna boards/clones tho. Look familiar at all dre? Were you not able to use the stock USB charging board or did you just not trust it an opted to use an authentic evolve charging board instead,
439af2aa8670c9e5fe4547d8eec79a7a.jpg

Last edited:

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's the same I took everything out and just used the buttons and 510 my USB blew to I'm using a evolv USB.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a feeling the "right" temperature depends completely on the exact atomizer / coils / wick, so I'm not sure the temps I use would mean much to you. Also, I like hot vapes. Not everybody does. But FWIW, I use 460-490 degrees with rayon, and 470-500 with cotton - the higher the VG, the higher the temperature.

With dual nickel coils, it's very important to balance the coils and the wicks perfectly: if one coil runs hotter than the other, both may read 500 degrees on average for instance, but in reality, one could run at 450 degrees and the other at 550 and you'd get a burnt taste from the hotter one. It's actually delicate enough to set up right for higher temperatures that I've quit experimenting with dual coils with my DNA40. At lower temperatures, balancing the coils is less of a problem of course.
My Buddy did the build, they are balanced. He show me a trick where you turn off temp protection and pulse the coils and gently squeeze them with a tweezers, they both light up exactly the same. Are you running you single at 25-35watts?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Buddy did the build, they are balanced. He show me a trick where you turn off temp protection and pulse the coils and gently squeeze them with a tweezers, they both light up exactly the same. Are you running you single at 25-35watts?

Personally, I'm not having much luck with dual nickel coils: I do the balancing thing too, but I occasionally tastes burnt when I use 480-500 degrees and the DNA40 is about to hit temp protection. If I lower the temp, it's fine but the vape is too cool for my taste. I"ve come to the conclusion that a slight imbalance doesn't show up visually when I pulse the coils, but is enough for one of the coils to start cooking the juice slightly when I set the temp closer to the limit.

Re power: yeah, I usually run my single coil at 25W. It'll take the full 40W without a problem, but then the atty starts guzzling juice like there's no tomorrow.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've yet to open my v2 up. No reason to YET.
This is the DNA tray from the Yosen tho. Unsure if its the same as the V2s or the V3s everyone else has/getting. This board def looks longer then the dna boards/clones tho. Look familiar at all dre? Were you not able to use the stock USB charging board or did you just not trust it an opted to use an authentic evolve charging board instead,
439af2aa8670c9e5fe4547d8eec79a7a.jpg

The tray looks different from the authentic's: it looks less flimsy.. The center bit, just under the board, is totally empty in the original. On yours, it's bridged.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm only having good results with spaced dual coils. When I tired contact it hits tp to fast

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I couldn't really do contact coils either. Wires just too soft so even if I got them pulsing perfectly it would get all screwed up after wicking.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also a .13 spaced coil always read out to .09-.10 and isn't performing right so I'm staying go with spaced coils to I find a good way to make it work. I feel contact coils give a better vape but can't win them all.

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only way I've been able to get contact coils to work is while wicking, hold the coil firmly in place with your fingernail on one side and pull the wick thru to the side your holding.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Only way I've been able to get contact coils to work is while wicking, hold the coil firmly in place with your fingernail on one side and pull the wick thru to the side your holding.
But are the coils ohming out correctly? Mine always seems to be off .02-.03 which effects temp protect

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as I know. I just wrap n read what it comes out as. Lol
XD

Wouldnt the resistance be lessened a tiny bit because they are touching tho? Spaced out the energy would go through the coil loops while with a contact coil since its touching it would move more directly in a straight line across the coil. Its just more noticeable with this nickel wire since it such a low resistant wire to start with. I could be totally wrong tho. Lol

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@Nikkita6, what do you know about the 50W that showed up at Focal?

http://focalecig.com/Product/Vaporflask-V3-Style-50W-CloneSilver-23976

Edit: screw research - it's ordered.

LOL .. I don't have any first hand experience with that one, but I can tell you that it is also Kangxin made and I believe someone posted in this thread early on about their Kangxin 50W working well. I think the OP had a negative experience with the V3 40W, but a positive one with the 50W version.

Since you already went for, I hope it works out well for you. :)

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I came here to ask that exact same question. I may hold out for the black version (and maybe your review).

What I have learned is that the Focal 50 watt listed Tuesday is a Kangxin unit. That doesn't mean much to me.

Here is what I can find on the 50:

Although Focal tagged the listing with "temperature control," I do not believe the Kangxin KX-550 is a temp control chip.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

-V-

Member For 4 Years
It's the same I took everything out and just used the buttons and 510 my USB blew to I'm using a evolv USB.
So from the buttons does each button have 2 wires?
I'd like to see the inside of yours dre to see how you wired it up...

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So from the buttons does each button have 2 wires?
I'd like to see the inside of yours dre to see how you wired it up...
Yes each button has two wires on mine now it had a sister board in the clone. But the frame is just like the authentic so I removed the sister board and added wires ( two each switch) I'll have it apart this afternoon since my charge board comes in the mail today.

Reactions: -V-

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even though Dre already changed his chip, if he has his original box and manual I would open a Paypal dispute which he would win. Doesn't matter that FT didn't list it on the product page, if the this is what the included user manual says for the device they sold him, that is all that matters. ;)

So I was curious. Can you open a dispute with Paypal, without jeopardizing, your account over an e-cig related purchase. I realize the vendor is in China but I would hate to have my account shut down as I use it for Ebay sales regularly.

And BTW, Fasttech sucks ass! I was going to pick up a V2 like dre's because I ended up stuck with an in store gift certificate. It was a warranty/ satisfaction issue. Bought 2 Erlkonigin minis and 2 KF nano kits. After assembling the Erl's, found the 510's wobbled as they were press fit and could not be tightened. The nanos would not fit an Ehpro KFL+. Tried to get a refund and was well within their warranty/ satisfaction guaranteed period but they said no because I had used the product. I cleaned and repacked as new but no bueno.

So then they send me a gift certificate code that worked kind of. Entered it at checkout and was OK but I had to back out of the checkout to change my Paypal payment method and when I returned to complete the transaction....BAM...."Invalid Gift Certificate"!

I would love to file a dispute against FT! Used to like ordering from them but now would rather give myself a root canal.

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And of course they are closed now so I'll have to wait another day for a broken english reply. Been dealing with this for a month now.

-V-

Member For 4 Years
Yes each button has two wires on mine now it had a sister board in the clone. But the frame is just like the authentic so I removed the sister board and added wires ( two each switch) I'll have it apart this afternoon since my charge board comes in the mail today.
ok, so it's able to use the existing buttons and have 2 wires from each then?
Be really nice to see the inside and how you wires it up.
Also which Flask clone was yours?

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also the sxk clone board reads ohms is .1-.2 lower then it actually is. The fix is under the 510 ground washer there is some white paint sand that off and it fixes this issue.

Last edited:

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
ok, so it's able to use the existing buttons and have 2 wires from each then?
Be really nice to see the inside and how you wires it up.
Also which Flask clone was yours?
All you need is 24g wire about 2.5 ft and I recommend changing the 510 hot and ground wire to 18g for the evolv dna40 you want almost no resistance in the wiring.

I'll take a picture today when I install my evolv charge board.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
So I was curious. Can you open a dispute with Paypal, without jeopardizing, your account over an e-cig related purchase. I realize the vendor is in China but I would hate to have my account shut down as I use it for Ebay sales regularly.

And BTW, Fasttech sucks ass! I was going to pick up a V2 like dre's because I ended up stuck with an in store gift certificate. It was a warranty/ satisfaction issue. Bought 2 Erlkonigin minis and 2 KF nano kits. After assembling the Erl's, found the 510's wobbled as they were press fit and could not be tightened. The nanos would not fit an Ehpro KFL+. Tried to get a refund and was well within their warranty/ satisfaction guaranteed period but they said no because I had used the product. I cleaned and repacked as new but no bueno.

So then they send me a gift certificate code that worked kind of. Entered it at checkout and was OK but I had to back out of the checkout to change my Paypal payment method and when I returned to complete the transaction....BAM...."Invalid Gift Certificate"!

I would love to file a dispute against FT! Used to like ordering from them but now would rather give myself a root canal.

Yes you can open a Paypal dispute against FT without jeopardizing your account because ecig sales are not prohibited in China, so its not an issue.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here's my swap pic I just did it fast and functional didn't pretty it up but I put a 18g fire and ground wire and dual 20g for the battery positive.
894d238517c48892d71cf9fe184f19a7.jpg

Added tape to.feel better since the case is a ground
e887bb3d8313fc45e72fd2b8a36f86c1.jpg

Robby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A quick info update on the battery caps and the 510 on the Kangxin DNA40 Vaporflask. It turns out they are in fact brass but have a very thick plating of copper on them, that`s from personal experience, took it to bits for a general looksee inside and took the Dremel grinder to the 510 inside, same for the battery caps. Still no problems at all with the mod :). Haven`t changed a wick yet and I use a dripper mainly.

Robby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL .. I don't have any first hand experience with that one, but I can tell you that it is also Kangxin made and I believe someone posted in this thread early on about their Kangxin 50W working well. I think the OP had a negative experience with the V3 40W, but a positive one with the 50W version.

Since you already went for, I hope it works out well for you. :)
Focal`s specifications can often be worse than fasttech :(

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What would be a fair price if i start selling flask with Evolv dna40 and charging board. So its exactly the same parts as the authentic. Would $175 be good?

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Focal`s specifications can often be worse than fasttech :(

So true Robby, and I often give Doris very long lectures about this .. its really is inexcusable at this point. Doris is my friend but she needs to step up her game. She has been doing this long enough to know to better.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
What would be a fair price if i start selling flask with Evolv dna40 and charging board. So its exactly the same parts as the authentic. Would $175 be good?

I am sure some would think so .. but can I get a discount? LOL :p

We can work something out.
Have you considered buying a 1:1 clone and swapping the board?
Something like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/In-STOCK-2014-Sunlay-1-1_60110815207.html

I don't know about $175 since I've seen DNA40 hammond builds go for $120-150 on r/pvcommission but I know at $130-150 I'd buy definitely buy two or three. It would have to be a 1:1 clone though.
At the $175 rate you could get a rDNA40 with a warranty, while a commission would be without a warranty and risky to invest so much money in.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have you considered buying a 1:1 clone and swapping the board?
Something like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/In-STOCK-2014-Sunlay-1-1_60110815207.html

I don't know about $175 since I've seen DNA40 hammond builds go for $120-150 on r/pvcommission but I know at $130-150 I'd buy definitely buy two or three. It would have to be a 1:1 clone though.
At the $175 rate you could get a rDNA40 with a warranty, while a commission would be without a warranty and risky to invest so much money in.
The board has a 1 year warranty from Evolv. Also The price of the device plus the dna40 and Evolv charger is $140 so $175 is the bare minimum I'd make is $25. I would be selling these for $200 locally but thought idnoffer a few members a deal.

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the clones going for around $70 and the dna 40 board at $60-70 that's $130-140 as is without his time swapping the board and sending it out. I'd say $175 sounds more then reasonable enough for anyone wanting this form factor with the real dna 40 chipset.

Only thing is, you can buy a V3 with a dna40 clone board already for $70. Can't speak for the quality of the dna40 clone board yet tho. Still waiting for my v3 to arrive.

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also wanted to point something out that may or may not work for some of you. I apologize in advance for the picture quality. :p

If your battery caps look like this or similar
b245073e6533b216f071a1682e3c32fe.jpg

Try switching the caps around. If I swap mine around they line up correctly like the authentic does.
ede0570cbddf21fccd5682fedd69dc1d.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of Kangxin 40W VF, mine just landed this evening. Haven't had a chance to use them yet but all of your feedback on AAEC is very encouraging. :) I am actually chatting with Waidea at this very moment, and their TP clone should be shipping to me by this weekend according to my contact. That one is slated to be more 1:1 so we will see.

I will update my experience with the Kangxin once I actually get to use it.

OYUQ0Zf.jpg
Pretty so when is the vaporflash on fire 250million watts coming out.. I was thinking yesterday I bet we will see it go to atleast 100w

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got an email from Waidea saying the VFv3 - 1:1 is ready to ship today. Also thinking Waidea is not the actual manufacturer, rather a large distributor.(Nikki would have a better idea). Peruse their website, and it seems they sell many products from many manufacturers. They also sell the VaporShark 40 clone, where Limwell said they were the only one cloning it. Hard to tell who to believe since they will say anything to get your business.
http://www.waideacig.com/vapor-flask-v3-mod

They quoted me 70.00 for a sample unit

"Many thanks for your inquiry ,

This is Tina from Waidea Group China ,Hope one day we could have a nice relationship .

Regarding you refer to vapor falsk v3 we are only do clone 1:1 factory at China .

If possible ,hope you could share with me how many sets do you need ?

If a samples ,maybe need to $70/set .

We could send out goods tomorrow .That just coming out tomorrow .

Welcome to your feedback .

Best Regards,

Tina

Any query,pls feel free to let me know .

Thanks and best regards,

Shenzhen Waidea Times Technology Co.,Ltd

Mob:86-18617036307

Tel:86-0755-29493027

E-mail:[email protected] Skype:waidea01

Add:Rm.321, Area 3 ,B Bldg Brand Name Industry Products Exhibition & Procurement Center,

No .168 Bao Yuan Road Bao’an District, Shenzhen 518102 ,China

Last edited:

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My sxk flask has the same 510 as the authentic and the brass pin for the 510. Only difference is no branding and uses Philips screw's not hex. So what's the big deal with 1:1?

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My sxk flask has the same 510 as the authentic and the brass pin for the 510. Only difference is no branding and uses Philips screw's not hex. So what's the big deal with 1:1?
No idea other than packaging and a 40w chipset

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just got offered $300 for my flask lol I made it clear it was a clone body but real internals down to the charge board. Makes me rethink my pricing ;)

The board has a 1 year warranty from Evolv. Also The price of the device plus the dna40 and Evolv charger is $140 so $175 is the bare minimum I'd make is $25. I would be selling these for $200 locally but thought idnoffer a few members a deal.
Sorry, it was late at night and I wasn't thinking haha, I was thinking of a hammond enclosure DNA 40 with no charging board. Yeah $175 is pretty fair considering the authentic is $300 not to mention usually defective. I'd be really excited if it was a 1:1 clone though ;*(
EDIT: The reason I like 1:1 is because I really like the look of the authentic v2.1 510 connector, it looks so clean aesthetically.

I just got offered $300 for my flask lol I made it clear it was a clone body but real internals down to the charge board. Makes me rethink my pricing ;)
Haha, I've had two authentics, sold one and returned one. Honestly I think the Chinese do a better job on the machining.
One of my VFs came with one of the top plate screws half off because it was stripped... The other couldn't have a battery removed without using tweezers.

VU Sponsors