Become a Patron!

kennykoils

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was told on a Facebook group that running 316L coils on mechs is hard on the cells in some way, is there any merit to this or is buddy blowing hot air?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It all depends on the resistance of the 316l coil you are using. any coil at .1 or below is a bit hard on good cells and dangerous on poor cells like Efests and such.

kennykoils

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Resistance is resistance, whether Kanthal, Nickle, or Stainless. The battery does not care what wire type, only the end resistance it needs to supply power to.
Yeah, that's what I though. It didn't make any sense that it would be any harder on them. Most of my builds are in the teens and I know that's hard on batteries but I'm as safe as you really can be about it,

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i find people in the vaping community always assume you are an idiot and tell you that you will blow your face off, instead of answering you properly. maybe the person assumed you were stupid enough to make the same size/wraps coils as you would with kanthal without considering that ss is much lower resistance than kanthal.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's such a gross oversimplification. It's flat out stupid to tell someone that 316l is harder on the batteries... ...as if there's only one way to use it. It reminds me of the anti-sub-ohm movement. No matter how you're doing it, sub-ohming will blow your face off. No, it doesn't matter if you're well within the CDR of your batteries or even using a regulated device. It is inherently dangerous and pointless and you're an idiot for thinking it was a good idea.

i find people in the vaping community always assume you are an idiot and tell you that you will blow your face off, instead of answering you properly. maybe the person assumed you were stupid enough to make the same size/wraps coils as you would with kanthal without considering that ss is much lower resistance than kanthal.
Almost everywhere but here, it seems. Some serious pockets of humanity out there.

Alarmist reactions to this sort of thing are more dangerous than anything else. It only serves to alienate vapers from one another and propagate misinformation... ...just so someone who thinks they know what they're talking about can exert their sense of superiority over newer vapers and feel convinced that they've done their good deed for the day... ...all that it does is further justify their hubris. They'll call you an idiot over shit they don't understand without explaining why. It just is that way because they're smarter than you and thus know better. That guy is either bent, or he doesn't know better and someone bent got to him.

I'm telling you, this shit is toxic. It's elitism, plain and simple. The pretentiousness of people like this is pure cancer to the scene. This kind of shit needs to be called out and backed up with actual information rather than empty cries of "DANGER DANGER!" Honest people get sucked into this shit and this is how completely misplaced ideas get spread.

A lot of people here from the community that shall not be named know exactly what I'm talking about. And they've seen what it can do to a community. I think this shit needs to be addressed when spotted. People can't be allowed to get away with talking down to others in such a way. I'd at least ask them why they think what they said is true. Make them at least own what they say.

I dunno, I can't be the only one who takes issue with people who explain things in such a primordial way... ...as if to say that the people they're talking to don't have the capacity to comprehend the nitty-gritty truth and should just stick to the sermon and gospels. No, don't read the book - it's beyond you.

As someone who takes the time to break things down in detail for people... ...to try to give them a platform for figuring things out on their own, it's just really frustrating to me that people side-step the facts in such a way. Jumping to conclusions just ain't a good look for any of us. That's what the anti's do.

Last edited:

Sean.King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nothing wrong with using ss on a mech. Ss slightly rises in resistance as it heats up so its actually lowering your amp draw as it heats up.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Perhaps SS can be seen as harder on cells vs Kanthal A1 due to its higher heat capacity = More power required to achieve a similar tempurature.

VU Sponsors