Become a Patron!

4 Battery mods and different mAh/currents

Hey all, I recently got a Snowwolf 365 and got 4 batteries at that time. 3 of them a E-SYB 18650 3.7V 3500mAh with a 30A discharge current, and one is an E-SYB 18650 3.7V 2800mAh with a 49A discharge current. My question is; is it safe to use all 4 together or would that damage my mod myself in any way? I've been researching online but ended up getting myself confused lol. Any help is appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No!

Never ever, ever use miss matched batteries in a mod, NEVER!

Also there are no 18650 batteries period that are over 30a. Additionally there are zero 18650 batteries with 3500 mAh that can do 30a period.

Only use batteries on Mooch's recommended list.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I'm no Battery expert but I would use 4 Batteries with all the same specs marry them to your mod and charge all 4 at the same time on a external charger, just a thought buy 8 new batteries so you have a Fresh set for a change out. Batteries are one thing you do not try to save money on or cut corners IMO. There is a Thread here on Batteries and safety you might go and read that I'm sure it will help you understand.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey all, I recently got a Snowwolf 365 and got 4 batteries at that time. 3 of them a E-SYB 18650 3.7V 3500mAh with a 30A discharge current, and one is an E-SYB 18650 3.7V 2800mAh with a 49A discharge current. My question is; is it safe to use all 4 together or would that damage my mod myself in any way? I've been researching online but ended up getting myself confused lol. Any help is appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Please please do not use your batteries....in that configuration....

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mooch also rates the 3500 mAh E-SYB batteries at 12a

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on re-wraps like this, eFest, AWT, etc. who only re-wrap and flat out lie about their actual capabilities. Stick only with authentic Sony, LG and Samsung.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on re-wraps like this, eFest, AWT, etc. who only re-wrap and flat out lie about their actual capabilities. Stick only with authentic Sony, LG and Samsung.

PwnStar51 thank you for getting on here and asking about this we like to keep things safe....

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As others have stated, don't do it... ever. Also keep in mind that 4-battery mods typically use a parallel/series battery connection scheme. Different batteries have different voltage sag, which is the resting voltage of the battery minus the voltage that the battery will supply whilst you put it under load (which also implies the voltage sag is dependent of the load, measured in amps). In addition, the resting voltage goes down after every puff because each puff uses up some of the charge left in the batteries. You can measure the resting voltage of a battery after letting the battery rest for a certain period of time. (After about 30 seconds will get you reasonably accurate readings.) The rate at which it goes down is dependent of the battery make and model, the load you put on the battery and for how long a period of time (and how the load changes during that period), the amount of charge left in the battery, age of the battery in conjunction with the amount of wear and tear the battery has been accumulating over time, temperature of the battery, and also variations that are due to the manufacturing process of the battery. (That is, assuming the battery hasn't been damaged of course.) Now, because the voltage sag also changes depending on so many factors... there's always going to be a certain imbalance between your four batteries when you put them under load by puffing. But with one set of two batteries hooked up in parallel, or with two of these sets hooked up in series (to give you 4-battery parallel/series), what happens is the weakest battery in each set receives the highest load. This imbalance, then, impacts the rate at which each battery in the set will be discharged. I.e., as the batteries continue to be discharged on every puff, the imbalance also grows worse with every puff, and, in addition, the rate at which it continues to grow worse is accelerating on every puff. The good news is these 4-battery regulated mods will normally throw an error message if the imbalance has gotten too big to be safe. The bad news is the weakest battery might start to vent long before that happens, if you didn't teach yourself ohm's law and apply correct rules of battery safety. This and the fact the resistances of the contacts between the batteries in your mod also are imbalanced to some degree is why with 2 batteries in parallel you don't just double your CDR of your battery, but instead you take 15 percent off after you double it. Take off more and you get more safety still. If you stay within 20 - 30 percent above the CDR rated by Mooch you'll be relatively safe as long as you keep in mind that there's always a risk because Li-ion rechargeable batteries can start to vent regardless of the load on the battery as well as regardless of the battery temperature. I don't always blow my face off. (But when I do, I do it safely.)

Last edited:

I had no idea they were re-wrapped. Thank you for enlightening me.

No!

Never ever, ever use miss matched batteries in a mod, NEVER!

Also there are no 18650 batteries period that are over 30a. Additionally there are zero 18650 batteries with 3500 mAh that can do 30a period.

Only use batteries on Mooch's recommended list.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Stick with LG, Sony, and Samsung just to be safe. There are others that Mooch rates as fine but you just can't go wrong with the big 3. Also when it comes to batteries make sure you use a reputable vendor. There are a lot of fakes out there.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As others have stated, don't do it... ever. Also keep in mind that 4-battery mods typically use a parallel/series battery connection scheme. Different batteries have different voltage sag, which is the resting voltage of the battery minus the voltage that the battery will supply whilst you put it under load (which also implies the voltage sag is dependent of the load, measured in amps). In addition, the resting voltage goes down after every puff because each puff uses up some of the charge left in the batteries. You can measure the resting voltage of a battery after letting the battery rest for a certain period of time. (After about 30 seconds will get you reasonably accurate readings.) The rate at which it goes down is dependent of the battery make and model, the load you put on the battery and for how long a period of time (and how the load changes during that period), the amount of charge left in the battery, age of the battery in conjunction with the amount of wear and tear the battery has been accumulating over time, temperature of the battery, and also variations that are due to the manufacturing process of the battery. (That is, assuming the battery hasn't been damaged of course.) Now, because the voltage sag also changes depending on so many factors... there's always going to be a certain imbalance between your four batteries when you put them under load by puffing. But with one set of two batteries hooked up in parallel, or with two of these sets hooked up in series (to give you 4-battery parallel/series), what happens is the weakest battery in each set receives the highest load. This imbalance, then, impacts the rate at which each battery in the set will be discharged. I.e., as the batteries continue to be discharged on every puff, the imbalance also grows worse with every puff, and, in addition, the rate at which it continues to grow worse is accelerating on every puff. The good news is these 4-battery regulated mods will normally throw an error message if the imbalance has gotten too big to be safe. The bad news is the weakest battery might start to vent long before that happens, if you didn't teach yourself ohm's law and apply correct rules of battery safety. This and the fact the resistances of the contacts between the batteries in your mod also are imbalanced to some degree is why with 2 batteries in parallel you don't just double your CDR of your battery, but instead you take 15 percent off after you double it. Take off more and you get more safety still. If you stay within 20 - 30 percent above the CDR rated by Mooch you'll be relatively safe as long as you keep in mind that there's always a risk because Li-ion rechargeable batteries can start to vent regardless of the load on the battery as well as regardless of the battery temperature. I don't always blow my face off. (But when I do, I do it safely.)
Thank you for all this wonderful Information..

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

No batteries over 30A? So what's this? Them Chi-nee doing farrss arrertising?

https://postimg.org/image/5hgf8rcr9/
Bottom line is they lie out their ass to the extreme. The only battery manufactures are Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic and one other I can't remember off the top of my head. Shit company's like E-SYB, eFest, AWT, etc. purchased those manufacture's B,C,D,F etc runs then re-wrap them with grossly inflated ratings that they just pull out of their ass. They also will change the type of battery they re-wrap when ever they get a bur up their ass. Example is the eFest Purple that they rate at 35a (or was it 40a?) that Mooch initially tested was at 18a. They then changed the battery they used and Mooch tested it and it was only a 10a battery.

Like I said stick only with Sony, Samsung or LG batteries from reputable sources. That and follow Mooch's blog and stick with his recommended list.

Good places to get batteries

http://www.illumn.com/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/
https://liionwholesale.com/

These are the only sources I trust, I also recommend Sony VTC5A batteries, 25a with 2600 mAh. They're an excellent balance between power and life

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you Mooch and thank you to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors