Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good mornin Family :wave:
How's everyone doin today?

May be a doodle of text that says 'Imagine all the people living life inpeace You But mam not the only one say I'm a dreamer /hope some day you'l join us And thẹ world will be as one'

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Ive opted for fun in thís lifetime- Jerry García'

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, today, my good thing doesn't involve kitties, nor not dropping anything, and not having to clean up throw up, lol. This one's has People in it and how they were friendly while out n about. But, I only went up to Holton not to Topeka, that does make a difference.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wanted to honor the Jewish celebration of Chanukah, but have not found an appropriate time to post this. Since it ends this evening I'm going to post it now as a non-game post.

Maoz Tzur - Maccabeats

From what I can find, the loosely translated English version of this song is typically called Rock of Ages, but the Hebrew hymn title would appear to more correctly translate as "Strong Rock (of my Salvation)"

I picked this version due to the groups name, an obvious reference to the origins of the celebration. However my knowledge of Judaism and Jewish tradition is probably more limited than it should be, so my apologies if this song is not an appropriate way to honor The Festival of Lights or is in any way disrespectful to those celebrating Chanukah.

Peace/Shalom

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wanted to honor the Jewish celebration of Chanukah, but have not found an appropriate time to post this. Since it ends this evening I'm going to post it now as a non-game post.

Maoz Tzur - Maccabeats

From what I can find, the loosely translated English version of this song is typically called Rock of Ages, but the Hebrew hymn title would appear to more correctly translate as "Strong Rock (of my Salvation)"

I picked this version due to the groups name, an obvious reference to the origins of the celebration. However my knowledge of Judaism and Jewish tradition is probably more limited than it should be, so my apologies if this song is not an appropriate way to honor The Festival of Lights or is in any way disrespectful to those celebrating Chanukah.

Peace/Shalom

All correct, for word matching in the game, Strong Rock (of my Salvation) or Rock of Ages.

I think it's a beautiful hymn for all faiths.

I taught myself a lot about Jewish holiday music when I was on air in college radio. Chanukah often overlaps Christmas, but since Christmas is a national holiday, and there is no Chanukah national holiday, people all have time off at Christmas to be with family and friends. I felt everybody deserved to have good holiday music of their tradition. Now I love all of it. If Chanukah didn't overlap Christmas, I played that music in its own week.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's so sad and beautiful.
I think there is something uplifting in the song though to offset the sadness. I just stumbled onto it and thought it was beautiful, but also in a way a good reminder of what truly matters. Lyrics with my highlights of the parts that struck me as positive below.

Learnin' how to live when there's no one around
It's like learnin' how to feel when the drugs run out
You can see my scars 'cause I'm wearin' 'em proud
Even with my broken parts, I feel better now

If I could crawl in the mind, and give any advice to my younger self
Find something you can hold on to
Find someone who'll be there for you
'Cause that's all that really matters in the end

Find somewhere you can come home to
Find someone that'll die for you
Is love, love, love

It's hard to tell the truth when you lie to yourself
Always give too much of you to someone else
I'm talkin' to you now like we're old friends
It'll never be too late to start again
Find someone that'll die for you (die for you)
Is love, love, love

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

‘I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas’ singer finally gets her hippo – 60 years later​

By Dani-Elle Dubé Global News
Posted December 13, 2017 4:18 pm
Updated December 13, 2017 4:19 pm
A pygmy hippopotamus is different than the common hippo in several ways, the San Diego Zoo says.

Oklahoma City native Gayla Peevey has welcomed another hippopotamus to the city’s zoo, more than 60 years after her song about wanting one for Christmas helped the facility purchase its first.

The singer was on hand as the 26-year-old pygmy hippopotamus Francesca made her first Oklahoma public appearance since moving from the San Diego Zoo.

In 1953, the then 10-year-old Peevey sang the novelty hit, I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, which debuted on the Ed Sullivan Show, the Chicago Tribune reports. It led to a statewide fund drive in which children donated dimes to purchase and bring a pachyderm to the zoo.
The drive was able to collect $3,000 and then in December 1953, Peevey – now 74 years old – received Mathilda, a 700-lbs. Nile hippo on Christmas Eve. It was then donated to the Oklahoma City Zoo where it lived to be nearly 50 years old, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Francesca joins 43-year-old Wolee in the zoo’s pachyderm exhibit.
Pygmy hippos are listed as endangered, with fewer than 3,000 remaining in the wild.
According to the San Diego Zoo, pygmy hippos look like a miniature version of their larger relatives, the common hippopotamus, but differs in behaviour and some physical characteristics.

The pygmy hippo is less aquatic than the common hippo. Its head is more round and narrow, its neck longer and its eyes are not on top of its head.
Not much is known about the pygmy hippo’s behaviour in the wild, but they are often found in pairs or on their own. Unlike their bigger counterparts, the pygmy hippo is shy and would rather run than fight.
The only known natural predator to these hippos are leopards.
– With files from the Associated Press

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think there is something uplifting in the song though to offset the sadness. I just stumbled onto it and thought it was beautiful, but also in a way a good reminder of what truly matters. Lyrics with my highlights of the parts that struck me as positive below.

Learnin' how to live when there's no one around
It's like learnin' how to feel when the drugs run out
You can see my scars 'cause I'm wearin' 'em proud
Even with my broken parts, I feel better now

If I could crawl in the mind, and give any advice to my younger self

Find someone that'll die for you
Is love, love, love

It's hard to tell the truth when you lie to yourself
Always give too much of you to someone else
I'm talkin' to you now like we're old friends
It'll never be too late to start again
Find someone that'll die for you (die for you)
Is love, love, love

I saw more when I watched it again just now. She's there following him at a distance, concerned, but after she digs him out, his hand twitches to show there is life, but then he turns over into the fire and apparently dies, when he might have been saved. I don't know how I didn't see it when I watched it the first time, but this time I see he did survive and they walk away.

I guess after all the fire is a symbol of passion or a reason to live, the fire inside.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Bliss, doin pretty good, thank you for askin my friend :hug:
How are you on this beautiful day?:huh:

I'm fine Jimi, thanks for asking. After being off the forum for a couple of days, glad to be playing with friends.

Everybody's liking the Spanky "impatient" gif I posted above. I had limited time to play yesterday, and nobody else playing. I came back 4 hours later, still nobody playing. So if Goph is still here, we're four at the moment, but of course Kad will be leaving for work soon.

VU Sponsors