Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As the year comes to an end, I thought it might be appropriate to reflect on some of the people that the music world lost this past year. Some of these received attention due to their celebrity status, but there are some largely unknown and ignored names in the list who were nonetheless important and influential.

Free-spirited icon of American rock David Crosby
Crosby was a prominent figure of the 1970s Laurel Canyon scene who helped bring folk-rock mainstream with both The Byrds and Crosby, Stills & Nash. He developed a harmony-rich vocal approach and kaleidoscopic sound, which incorporated psychedelic rock, jazz and twangy folk. As a songwriter, Crosby's canon included the stormy classic "Eight Miles High" and "Almost Cut My Hair" from the hit album Déjà Vu. He died Jan. 18 at age 81.

Burt Bacharach, who composed an astonishing number of hits
The visionary pop composer wrote music that sounded simple. But there was nothing simple about the songs now seared in the memories of generations of listeners. They include "I Say a Little Prayer," "Walk on By," "What the World Needs Now" and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head." He died on Feb. 8 at age 94.

Sage of the saxophone and visionary jazz composer Wayne Shorter
The 12-time Grammy-winning saxophonist and composer created some of the most singular sounds in contemporary jazz over more than half a century. From the hard bop of the late 1950s to genre-defying small-group jazz in the '60s all the way through the birth of rock-influenced jazz in the '70s, Shorter's soprano and tenor saxophones offered sonic clarion calls for change and innovation. He died on March 2 at age 89.

Ryuichi Sakamoto, trailblazing godfather of electronic pop
The Japanese composer was one of the first musicians to bring electronic production into popular songcraft though his band Yellow Magic Orchestra. As a solo artist, he collaborated with the likes of David Bowie and Iggy Pop. Sakamoto also scored such movies as Pedro Almodóvar's High Heels and Bernardo Bertolucci's The Last Emperor, which earned him an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a Grammy. He died March 28 at age 71.

Ahmad Jamal, who helped define American jazz for nearly a century
Over eight decades of performance, jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal influenced everyone from Miles Davis to MacArthur Award-winning pianist Jason Moran. He recorded scores of records, including his 1963 crossover hit "Poinciana," which stayed on the charts for 108 weeks. He died April 16 at age 92.

Harry Belafonte: singer, actor, activist and an EGOT for the ages
Easily one of the 20th century's most charismatic performers, Belafonte won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony award. In the 1950s, he set off a craze for calypso music with his chart-topping recording of "Day-O" (also known as "The Banana Boat Song"). Among other achievements, Belafonte helped organize the 1963 Freedom March on Washington. He died April 25 at age 96.

Incomparable soul and rock powerhouse Tina Turner
An eight-time Grammy winner, Turner was known for her octave-defying voice and mesmerizing stage moves. In a recording career that spanned six decades, she found fame both as a solo artist and in a duo with her first husband, Ike Turner. Her story of surviving his abuse became the basis of the 1993 biopic What's Love Got to Do with It. She died May 24 at age 83.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon singer CoCo Lee
She was the Mandarin voice of the title character in Disney's animated movie Mulan and a hitmaker in three languages. The Hong Kong-born singer was a huge star in Asia. Lee recorded 18 studio albums and became the first person of Chinese descent to perform at the Academy Awards with her rendition of "A Love Before Time" in 2001 from the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. She died July 5 at age 48.

Tony Bennett, whose silky voice epitomized the American Songbook
Bennett began as a suave crooner in the 1950s and quickly established himself as one of radio's most popular hit makers. He was a showman, with an intimate nightclub sensibility. Bennett used his celebrity on behalf of civil rights and later in life replenished his fandom through collaborations with musicians ranging from k.d. lang to Lady Gaga. He died July 21 at age 96.

Irish singer Sinéad O'Connor, whose music was loved globally
Sinéad O'Connor was known for her intense and beautiful voice, her political convictions, and the personal tumult that overtook her later years. Her album, I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, went double platinum in 1990. At the height of her fame, she elicited howls of outrage for her prescient warnings against sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. She died July 26 at age 56.

Trop rock king Jimmy Buffett, who lived life like one of his songs
Even though "Margaritaville" was his only top 10 hit, Jimmy Buffett sold out venues for decades. His fans, known as Parrotheads, developed their own subculture. Over the years, Buffett built that laid-back island brand into a sprawling business empire — restaurants, hotels, merchandise, even retirement communities. He died Sept. 1 at age 76.

There may well be others that belonged on this list. And of course there were various artists, poets, writers, actors, etc, but I wanted to focus on just the world of music since this is a music thread.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good mornin Family:wave:
It's snowin here right now, I love to watch snow come down:rolleyes:
I hope everyone is havin a great day :)

May be an image of 1 person, guitar and text that says 'I'VE BEEN IMITATED so WELL I'VE HEARD PEOPLE COPY MY MISTAKES. Siled't pиal'

May be an image of 1 person, dancing and text that says 'We can't always choose the music life plays for us, but we can choose how we dance to it'

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good mornin Family:wave:
It's snowin here right now, I love to watch snow come down:rolleyes:
I hope everyone is havin a great day :)

May be an image of 1 person, guitar and text that says 'I'VE BEEN IMITATED so WELL I'VE HEARD PEOPLE COPY MY MISTAKES. Siled't pиal''I'VE BEEN IMITATED so WELL I'VE HEARD PEOPLE COPY MY MISTAKES. Siled't pиal'

May be an image of 1 person, dancing and text that says 'We can't always choose the music life plays for us, but we can choose how we dance to it''We can't always choose the music life plays for us, but we can choose how we dance to it'
Raining here, but I guess that means the snow is headed this way.:blech:
Don't get me wrong, I like seeing it fall, I like seeing it on the trees and grass and bushes. I just wish there was a way to keep it from falling on the roads and sidewalks.:giggle:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Raining here, but I guess that means the snow is headed this way.:blech:
Don't get me wrong, I like seeing it fall, I like seeing it on the trees and grass and bushes. I just wish there was a way to keep it from falling on the roads and sidewalks.:giggle:

It rained here all day yesterday but not that lucky today:( they say it's still to warm to stick other than bridges/overpasses, I'd much rather have snow than ice though;)
I agree, when I was young I like driving in it but now I do anything to avoid havin to drive in it :facepalm:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally got puter runnin right , when I come to this site sometimes it's slower than molasses on a winter day, I have 2 different scanners my BIL put on and the Advast picked up something aand had me restart now runs great
I have that problem from time to time myself, but since it's this site only I always assume it is related to cloudflare.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear to Tread) - Louis Armstrong

Not really sure which version of this song is my favorite, it's been done by a number of people. But Louis Armstrong's is at least near the top of my list, maybe even the number 1 spot.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks like you never made it back. Hope everything is all right.
Just got done cleanin up a disaster. I cooked my first stuffed pork chops for Jean today, started out just made sandwiches for her then decided to go through freezer. Found a couple thick chops that needed used up so thought I would get it all ready, there's a lot of work makin stuffed pork chops, well at least the way I did them :facepalm: Made me some veggie medoley and every pan needed sand blasted to get the crud off.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just got done cleanin up a disaster. I cooked my first stuffed pork chops for Jean today, started out just made sandwiches for her then decided to go through freezer. Found a couple thick chops that needed used up so thought I would get it all ready, there's a lot of work makin stuffed pork chops, well at least the way I did them :facepalm: Made me some veggie medoley and every pan needed sand blasted to get the crud off.
Yeah, I've never tried to stuff 'em. Seasoned, a little oil in a cast iron pan, a couple minutes on each side, then into the oven in the same pan. Best way to cook chops in my opinion. Good well seasoned cast iron is almost as good as any non-stick pan ever created.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So countin the stuffed porkchops as my good thing of the day, the chops themselves looked great and Jean wolfed one right down, even made a gravy to go over it. This really is a good thing cause I coulda seriously screwed up. As far as the mess well that wasn't to good of a thing but got er done;)
Yeah, I've never tried to stuff 'em. Seasoned, a little oil in a cast iron pan, a couple minutes on each side, then into the oven in the same pan. Best way to cook chops in my opinion. Good well seasoned cast iron is almost as good as any non-stick pan ever created.
I love cast iron pans, they give a special taste.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ended up havin to do a lot more than I thought, and here I thought I was gettin the hang of this cookin and care unit.:facepalm:
Just glad it was nothing more than that. If you never really had to cook before then there is a lot to figure out. But even experienced cooks have things that throw them for a loop. I learned to cook as a kid, been cooking most of my life. Every time I make gumbo, I have to make sure I give myself plenty of time, because about 1 out of 3 times, I end up screwing up the roux and have to start over.

Funny thing is I only really make it for silly sentimental reasons, jambalaya is so much easier. But I was taught to make gumbo by, well, let's just say I shouldn't be getting sentimental about it. Every once in awhile though I get in the mood to wander down memory lane I guess.

The point is that I can make a light roux no problem, if I want something like biscuits and gravy, but I'll burn the roux 1/3 of the time when I try to make a dark one.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I didn't know there was a difference, I love gumbo haven't had any since 1978
roux can be made from very light to very dark, it's all about the combination of time and temp. For most things it's fairly light. For gumbo it needs to be (or is supposed to be anyway) quite dark, between peanut butter and chocolate dark. Which takes pretty much nonstop whisking for 20 minutes or more to keep it from burning.

VU Sponsors