Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Jimi So glad that you are OK, wish you home and garden hadn't been so damaged but at least you and Jean are all right. I completely understand the desire to watch instead of seeking shelter. I have NEVER taken shelter in my life when there was a tornado warning, other than a couple nights ago, because I always wanted to see one up close. Probably not the smartest idea in the world, but I think some of us just have too much curiosity. The only reason I hunkered down in my basement this time was that my cats were acting strange, so I thought maybe they knew something I didn't.

Around here, a tornado very briefly touched down probably about 3 miles from my place. The storms seemed to jump over my neighborhood, the pictures I posted were from damage within a couple miles of me. Part of me was disappointed that my immediate neighborhood didn't get anything at all other than some rain, I would have liked to see the tornado with my own eyes. Because I'm crazy like that. Still, even though I totally get it, I'm gonna put my parental voice on now and say "Don't you ever do anything like that again young man!"

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Poetry is music, even if there is no melody, at least in my mind. So I found this poem and thought this would be the perfect place to share it.

You start dying slowly ;
if you do not travel,
if you do not read,
If you do not listen to the sounds of life,
If you do not appreciate yourself.
You start dying slowly :
When you kill your self-esteem,
When you do not let others help you.
You start dying slowly ;
If you become a slave of your habits,
Walking everyday on the same paths…
If you do not change your routine,
If you do not wear different colours
Or you do not speak to those you don’t know.
You start dying slowly :
If you avoid to feel passion
And their turbulent emotions;
Those which make your eyes glisten
And your heart beat fast.
You start dying slowly :
If you do not risk what is safe for the uncertain
If you do not go after a dream
If you do not allow yourself
At least once in your lifetime
To run away from sensible advice
Don't let yourself die slowly
Do not forget to be happy!
~ Pablo Neruda
(Chilean poet who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971)

ETA: I do not know if this was written in English or if this is a translation.

I love Pablo Neruda. I have the 2004 CD by Luciana Souza, Brazilian singer, titled "Neruda", using his poetry. I forgot about it until now, but instead of converting it in the computer I'm downloading it from Tunepat. It gives me a higher kbps.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Jimi So glad that you are OK, wish you home and garden hadn't been so damaged but at least you and Jean are all right. I completely understand the desire to watch instead of seeking shelter. I have NEVER taken shelter in my life when there was a tornado warning, other than a couple nights ago, because I always wanted to see one up close. Probably not the smartest idea in the world, but I think some of us just have too much curiosity. The only reason I hunkered down in my basement this time was that my cats were acting strange, so I thought maybe they knew something I didn't.

Around here, a tornado very briefly touched down probably about 3 miles from my place. The storms seemed to jump over my neighborhood, the pictures I posted were from damage within a couple miles of me. Part of me was disappointed that my immediate neighborhood didn't get anything at all other than some rain, I would have liked to see the tornado with my own eyes. Because I'm crazy like that. Still, even though I totally get it, I'm gonna put my parental voice on now and say "Don't you ever do anything like that again young man!"

Right, I don't think he actually said he stood at a window watching, but that was what I gathered. In a tornado a random car windshield can come flying at you, or a piece of heavy equipment. Best to go down to the basement with the spiders and Freddy Kruger.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
:crazy:
OK, I know why the forum software censors this, but really? Can't someone invent software that is capable of differentiating between an inoffensive hyphenated word that contains those three letters and the word on it's own? Wonder what happens if I just drop the hyphen. DooWop

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
:crazy:
OK, I know why the forum software censors this, but really? Can't someone invent software that is capable of differentiating between an inoffensive hyphenated word that contains those three letters and the word on it's own? Wonder what happens if I just drop the hyphen. DooWop

I know. I never know what else the stupibot is going to censor until it happens. I fixed it in my post.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Thank you my friend ;)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Right, I don't think he actually said he stood at a window watching, but that was what I gathered. In a tornado a random car windshield can come flying at you, or a piece of heavy equipment. Best to go down to the basement with the spiders and Freddy Kruger.
Yes I stood at the window and watched the whole thing, it was intense.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Went out to try to salvage more mater plants, I think a couple weeks re-cooperation and I'll still get some. The chain saws are still runnin mornin to night here, people with wood burners do good after these storms just pickin up free wood for winter heat.

Down here the tomato growing season is so long from the last frost in spring until the first frost in the fall. Hopefully you'll get a break and be able to still get plenty.

Yep, free fire wood, def a good thing if there have to be tornadoes.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Down here the tomato growing season is so long from the last frost in spring until the first frost in the fall. Hopefully you'll get a break and be able to still get plenty.

Yep, free fire wood, def a good thing if there have to be tornadoes.
Yes we'll be alright on maters, I planted 30 plants and most will make it, just a shame cause so many green maters on the ground

Yes plenty free fire wood piles already

VU Sponsors