Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of coffee cup and text

May be an image of 1 person, toy and text

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Saturday Aug 24 in music history

August 24th Born on this Day in History of Music David Frieberg - Quicksilver Messenger Service and Jefferson Airplane (1938), Mason Williams (1938), Ernest Wright - Little Anthony and the Imperials (1941), Elliot Ingber-The Mothers of Invention and Captain Beefheart (1941), Marshall Thompson of The Chi Lites (1942), Jimmy Soul (1942), Letta Mbulu (1942), Dafydd Iwan (1943), John Cipollina - Quicksilver Messenger Service (1943), Ronee Blakley (1945), Ken Hensley - Uriah Heep (1945), Molly Duncan - Average White Band (1945), Jean-Michel Jarre (1948), Leroy Gomez of Santa Esmeralda (1950), Michael Derosier - Heart (1951), Linton Kwesi Johnson (1952), Jeffrey Daniel - Shalamar (1955), Colin Angus - The Shamen (1961), Mark Bedford - Madness (1961), John Bush - Anthrax (1963), Otiel Burbridge - Allman Brothers Band, Dead & Company (1964), Andreas Kisser - Sepultra (1968)
Chart News
1963 Stevie Wonder at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Fingertips part 2' and album chart with 'Little Stevie Wonder'
1974 Paul Anka with Odia Coates staat No.1 on the US chart with '(You're Having My Baby'
1985 Huey Lewis and the News at No.1 on the US chart with 'The Power Of Love'
1991 Metallica at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Metallica'
2013 Ellie Goulding at No.1 on the UK chart with ‘Burn’
2017 Dua Lina at No.1 on the UK chart with ‘New Rules’
Gig News
1968 The Incredible String Band, Traffic, Bonzo Dog Band, Family, Fairport Convention, Blossom Toes, Pretty things, Deviants, Blonde On Blonde and Free played at The Roundhouse in London over two nights
1979 B.B. King played at the Roxy Club, Sunset Strip, Los Angeles.
1979 Reading Rock '79 featured The Police, The Tourists, Wilko Johnson, The Cure and Motorhead
1980 Iron Maiden Whitesnake, Def Leppard, UFO, Gillan, Pat Travers Band and Rory Gallagher played at the Reading Festival
1980 Queen played at the Civic Centre, Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.
1994 The Eagles played at the Giants Stadium, New York City.
2001 Travis, Eminem, Eels, Green Day, Marilyn Manson, Supergrass, PJ Harvey, Manic Street Preachers, Weezer, Iggy Pop, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Cult, Frank Black, The Strokes, Supergrass, Ash, Stephen Malkmus and Mercury Rev played at the Carling Weekend Reading / Leeds festival,
Music News
1981 Mark Chapman was given a 20 year jail sentence for the murder of John Lennon
2021 Charlie Watts, drummer for the Rolling Stones passed away

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never thought much about the term "peachy". AI says it goes back to a radio broadcast in 1948, but another online article traces it to 1910.

I don't understand how a lot of slang begins. Why, nowadays, is a really good recipe "fire"? Where did the word "bling" come from? Or "bomb" as an adjective.

I could go on and on really.
On that note how about an example of some truly strange slang, some of which I understand originated among gamers (skibidi for example)...yes, there really are people who talk like the example I am attaching. No, I didn't understand a word of this and still wouldn't if I hadn't seen the translation.

1724537175780.png

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On that note how about an example of some truly strange slang, some of which I understand originated among gamers (skibidi for example)...yes, there really are people who talk like the example I am attaching. No, I didn't understand a word of this and still wouldn't if I hadn't seen the translation.

View attachment 217714

I thought of one that's making me crazy. "Low key" to mean it isn't an intense feeling, as in "low key I don't like this method", or "low key I'm tired of this".

All ridiculous, and as a student of multiple languages, with a long life that has seen more and more slang bubble up in American English, I'd rather young people just learn to speak properly. I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. Haha. Where did fuddy duddy come from?

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, we had a brief taste of autumn weather, temps dipping into the low 50s at night. But summer has returned with a vengeance today. Almost 90 right now, and supposed to be hotter the next couple days.
Same here. Hopefully it will only be for a short time. Heading up to the hundred degree mark the next couple of days.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who doesn't and if some doesn't what does this mean for them :eek: certainly not normal or um maybe, hmm.
I don't because I use red Loctite.:p It tastes terrible though, so I need to try to find a better way to keep my screws from coming loose. :giggle:

Now who wants to shoot some marbles? Hey, wait, there's a hole in my bag, I've lost half my marbles.:eek:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hate the Police
-Dicks

What was I reading about "civil asset forfeiture" (the right of police to take anything from you they think you shouldn't have). It's rarely a real law. It's just something the police came up with, and if you want it back you have to embark on the expense of suing them.

The police troll a FedEx shipping center in Indianapolis regularly, where cross-country packages are often routed through. They recently took an envelope that contained 42,000.00 cash. A couple that had crossed country for months, selling jewelry they made to stores, didn't want to drive home with it (because of civil asset forfeiture), so they shipped it. Cops went into the Fedex and took it. That's it, the end. It's up to the couple to do what they have to, to get back their 42,000.00.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors