Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jean came in earlier and told me we had bag worms on our little blue spruce. So I had to go out and pick off all I could reach, still a lot up high. This is a tree I grew from a twig now stands 20 foot tall. It usedta be I'd get up on my 12 foot self standin ladder and could get all of them with one of those reacher/pick up tools that I converted but as bad as my knees are so bad now I don't dare try. SOOOOO, I need to ask our Master Gardener goph if he knows anything organic that I could use to get ride of these, they are eatin my poor little tree up.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Jean came in earlier and told me we had bag worms on our little blue spruce. So I had to go out and pick off all I could reach, still a lot up high. This is a tree I grew from a twig now stands 20 foot tall. It usedta be I'd get up on my 12 foot self standin ladder and could get all of them with one of those reacher/pick up tools that I converted but as bad as my knees are so bad now I don't dare try. SOOOOO, I need to ask our Master Gardener goph if he knows anything organic that I could use to get ride of these, they are eatin my poor little tree up.
I looked this up on UC IPM:

"Foliage-feeding caterpillars​

Caterpillars are the larval stage of moths or butterflies. Many species feed in leaves of trees. Larvae have three pairs of legs on the area immediately behind the head and leglike appendages on at least some segments of the abdomen but not on the first two.

Identification of species | Life cycle

Damage​

Some caterpillars fold or roll leaves together with silk to form shelters. Others feed on leaves beneath a canopy of silk, sometimes creating "nests" in foliage, and others devour entire leaves along with stems. Severe defoliation may cause branch dieback or kill entire plants.

Solutions​

Clip and dispose of infested foliage. Inspect the bark and scrape any egg masses into a bucket of soapy water and dispose of them. Provide proper fertilization and water, protect roots and trunks from damage, and prune trees properly when needed. General predators, parasites, or naturally occurring viruses may help keep populations under control. Applications of Bacillus thuringiensis applied when larvae are newly hatched will reduce populations of caterpillars that feed openly on foliage."

Bacillus thuringiensis is better known as BT and is organic.

Link to UC IPM https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/GARDEN/PLANTS/INVERT/folfeedcater.html

Last edited:

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
58f9b01f8b93791bf703994cc9f5d559.jpg

..:).....................................................................:)...............................

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I intended to be good with cheat day breakfast-lunch because I'm going out to dinner with friends this evening, but I pulled the cucumbers out of the fridge only to find them mushy and rotted after only a few days.

If I'd not made coffee before turning on my computer this morning, I wouldn't have had time even for coffee, due to insane work. So I indulged my cravings with Doordash.

I thought to photograph these specialty foods I ordered from Teka Molino, which means Aztec Mill, a very old restaurant where they grind the corn and make the masa on site. There used to be one other place with a similar menu, but it's gone. Believe me, this is the kind of thing Taco Bell would love to know how to copy, but they never will, because eons of heart and soul are in these crispy chewy masa cups, filled with seasoned refried beans, topped with cheese. You can get them filled with guacamole instead, but I made my own guac to dab on top, and some chopped lettuce & tomato. I got more than I needed because they reheat really well after being in the fridge. I ate two of these:

Bean cups 23Aug24.jpg

And sopaipillas, fluffy crispy fried dough, similar to beignets, but what culture doesn't make something like this, unless it's a culture that never had wheat?

Sopaipillas 23Aug24.jpg

I could only eat a couple of bites of one of the sopaipillas. I was full, and anyway I'm kind of scared of that powdered sugar. I may put the other three in paper bags and give them to my friends tonite, depending on how many we are (don't want anybody to feel left out).

Happy Friday!

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This Is not a good thing.....Went outside to clean the litter box, had to do a double take, it was a poor turtle laying on his or her back. Felt so sad for the poor turtle dying in such a terrible way. Wish I could unsee it :(
When I would go see my mum when she lived 15 to 20 minutes on dirt roads to get there, if I would see a turtle in the road ( not a snapping turtle), I would stop, get out, and move it out of the road to which ever way it was heading.
So so so many people just zoom along and don't care if they run them over, sometimes it seemed like they do it on purpose no matter what the animal is, those kind of people really really really do make me sick!!!

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This Is not a good thing.....Went outside to clean the litter box, had to do a double take, it was a poor turtle laying on his or her back. Felt so sad for the poor turtle dying in such a terrible way. Wish I could unsee it :(
When I would go see my mum when she lived 15 to 20 minutes on dirt roads to get there, if I would see a turtle in the road ( not a snapping turtle), I would stop, get out, and move out of the road to which ever way it was heading.
So so so many people just zoom along and don't care if they run them over, sometimes it seemed like they do it on purpose no matter what the animal is, those kind of people really really really do make me sick!!!

I rescued a turtle some years ago. I didn't think whether or not it was a snapping turtle. My neighborhood is hilly, and rocky from the layers dissolving and tumbling out. So just a few feet from my place, as I was driving along I saw something that was the same color as all the rocks by the curb, moving slowly. I had to get out and see what that crawling rock was. Of course close inspection showed me a dusty, light colored turtle, a pretty big one, about 8 inches long. My friends, a couple who are animal lovers, at the time had a guinea pig and a rescued bunny rabbit, alongside their cats (imagine that rabbit surviving cats, but they let him hop around free range), so I picked up this turtle, put him in the cooler that lives in the boot of my car, and took him to them. Soon after that I started working at home, so I lost track.

There are green belts, creeks and ponds all over this area. I imagine the turtle was on a hot dusty road because he got lost. If he can have a happy life in urban conditions, it would be with those people.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I looked this up on UC IPM:

"Foliage-feeding caterpillars​

Caterpillars are the larval stage of moths or butterflies. Many species feed in leaves of trees. Larvae have three pairs of legs on the area immediately behind the head and leglike appendages on at least some segments of the abdomen but not on the first two.

Identification of species | Life cycle

Damage​

Some caterpillars fold or roll leaves together with silk to form shelters. Others feed on leaves beneath a canopy of silk, sometimes creating "nests" in foliage, and others devour entire leaves along with stems. Severe defoliation may cause branch dieback or kill entire plants.

Solutions​

Clip and dispose of infested foliage. Inspect the bark and scrape any egg masses into a bucket of soapy water and dispose of them. Provide proper fertilization and water, protect roots and trunks from damage, and prune trees properly when needed. General predators, parasites, or naturally occurring viruses may help keep populations under control. Applications of Bacillus thuringiensis applied when larvae are newly hatched will reduce populations of caterpillars that feed openly on foliage."

Bacillus thuringiensis is better known as BT and is organic.

Link to UC IPM https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/GARDEN/PLANTS/INVERT/folfeedcater.html
Thank you my friend :hug: , I'll haveta pick up some BT.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I would go see my mum when she lived 15 to 20 minutes on dirt roads to get there, if I would see a turtle in the road ( not a snapping turtle), I would stop, get out, and move it out of the road to which ever way it was heading.
Thank you:hug: for being so kind, animals are God's creatures too.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Friday Aug 23 in music

August 23rd Born on this Day in History of Music
Gene Kelly (1912), Tex Williams (1917), Rudy Lewis of The Drifters (1936), Mike Burt - Chas & Dave (1938), Roger Greenaway - Blue Mink (1938), Tony Micale - The Reflections (1942, Keith Moon - The Who (1946), Jimmy Sohns - Shadows of Knight (1946), Linda Thompson (1947), Rick Springfield (1949), Jimi Jamison - Survivor (1951), Bobby G - Bucks Fizz (1953), Mark Avsec - Wild Cherry (1954), Edwyn Collins (1959), Dean Deleo - Stone Temple Pilots (1961), Shaun Ryder - Happy Mondays (1962), Cedella Marley - Ziggy Marley & The Melody Makers (1967), Shifty Shellshock - Crazy Town (1974), Julian Casablancas - The Strokes (1978), Kobe Bryant (1978), Richard Neville - Five (1979), Natalie Horler - Cascada (1981)
Chart News
1966 The Beatles at No.1 on the UK chart with the double a side 'Yellow Submarine - Eleanor Rigby'
1969 Johnny Cash at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Johnny Cash At San Quentin.
1969 The Rolling Stones at No.1 on the US chart with 'Honky Tonk Women'
1971 Diana Ross at No.1 on the UK chart 'I'm Still Waiting'
1975 Hamilton Joe Franks And Reynolds at No.1 on the US chart with, 'Fallin' In Love'
1980 David Bowie at No.1 on the UK chart with 'Ashes To Ashes'
1986 Boris Gardiner at No.1 on the UK chart with 'I Want to Wake Up with You'
1997 Texas at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'White On Blonde'.
2008 Rihanna at No.1 on the US chart with ‘Disturbia’
2009 Calvin Harris at No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Ready For The Weekend’
Gig News
1966 The Beatles played at Shea Stadium in New York City, New York
1967 Herman's Hermits supported by The Who played at Atwood Stadium, Flint in Michigan.
1967 Joni Mitchell played her first UK show at The Marquee Club in London.
1968 The Jimi Hendrix Experience played at Singer Bowl, Flushing Meadow Park, New York.
1969 Queen played at Bolton's Octagon Theatre in Bolton, Lancashire.
1970 Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground made their last appearance at the New York Club 'Max's Kansas City'
1970 Emerson Lake and Palmer played at The Guildhall, Plymouth, England
1985 Aerosmith played at the Alpine Valley Music Theatre in East Troy, Wisconsin,
1990 Prince played at Wembley Arena
2002 The Strokes, Foo Fighters, Prodigy, Offspring, Muse, Sum 41, Janes Addiction, The Dandy Warhols, Jimmy Eat World, Incubus, Pulp, The White Stripes, Feeder and Cornershop all appeared at the UK Carling Leeds-Reading Weekend Festival in England.
2003 Metallica, System Of A Down, Sum 41, Primal Scream and Good Charlotte all appeared at this year’s UK Carling Reading weekend festival.
2008 Madonna kicked off her 86-date Sticky &Sweet Tour at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff Wales
Music News
1960 Oscar Hammerstein died

VU Sponsors