Become a Patron!

Alternate Universe

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i always had poor circulation. it came in handy when i used to work in kitchens. but in Nov 2005, i had a heart attack, only i didn't think it was one. i was almost dead, 4 days later, when a co-worker came and got me and took me to the hospital. one of my valves was 99.9% clogged by then and the entire inside of my left ventricle had died. my heart function is 20%.

people ask, "didn't it hurt, though?" oh yes it did, it was incredibly painful, felt like an elephant was standing on my chest. BUT if you compare it to my first marriage, not so bad! ;)

Dang, that sounds like a very bad time for sure. Glad ya made it. :)

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am a retired soldier, I am now a Federal Employee with the Department of Defense. As you know ISIS is currently targeting Military and their families via searching them out on Face Book and other social media. I recently had a viable ISIS threat while traveling and was required to report it to my Intel Division. This past Sunday, I received a friend request from an Iranian, US Analysis, by Federal Regulation I was required to report it after blocking him. In doing so I made an attempt to change my profile settings. However, from the directions I have read and followed through with, I cannot for example block those who are not friends from seeing my PIC's, friends, and my groups without changing the privacy setting on each and every single picture, friend, etc... What I am looking for is a way to set my privacy settings so the only thing someone see's who is not a friend is my profile picture, background picture and name. What is the easiest way to do this??? Please keep in mind that the Department of Defense has issued a Threat Awareness for all military and families to lock down their social media site's. Therefore can someone please assist?

i refuse to participate in the evil that is FB. :p

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am a retired soldier, I am now a Federal Employee with the Department of Defense. As you know ISIS is currently targeting Military and their families via searching them out on Face Book and other social media. I recently had a viable ISIS threat while traveling and was required to report it to my Intel Division. This past Sunday, I received a friend request from an Iranian, US Analysis, by Federal Regulation I was required to report it after blocking him. In doing so I made an attempt to change my profile settings. However, from the directions I have read and followed through with, I cannot for example block those who are not friends from seeing my PIC's, friends, and my groups without changing the privacy setting on each and every single picture, friend, etc... What I am looking for is a way to set my privacy settings so the only thing someone see's who is not a friend is my profile picture, background picture and name. What is the easiest way to do this??? Please keep in mind that the Department of Defense has issued a Threat Awareness for all military and families to lock down their social media site's. Therefore can someone please assist?

I'm afraid I haven't used FB for a long time and seldom used it before deleting it.
I'd think your superiors would have the steps needed to secure your profile listed somewhere?

There is this, but it may not be enough: http://www.wikihow.com/Secure-Your-Facebook-Account

I would also be cautious in what you post on here, as it's instantly on Google results forever and I wouldn't want you in trouble for divulging anything...you know how they are on that one. ;-)

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
wow! intelligence! THAT is sexy! i did that fb thing, a while back. if i can't find it, an old sister-in-law of mine, might have it.
LOL sorry I should have said My brother posted this was just giving everyone here a heads up if you haven't already seen it.

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm afraid I haven't used FB for a long time and seldom used it before deleting it.
I'd think your superiors would have the steps needed to secure your profile listed somewhere?

There is this, but it may not be enough: http://www.wikihow.com/Secure-Your-Facebook-Account

I would also be cautious in what you post on here, as it's instantly on Google results forever and I wouldn't want you in trouble for divulging anything...you know how they are on that one. ;-)
Thanks Caff I will send him the link

Sambuca

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL sorry I should have said My brother posted this was just giving everyone here a heads up if you haven't already seen it.

i only use fb, to see what the kids and grandkids are up to. very rarely do i ever post on it.

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Please circulate this until he is arrested! All it will take is one drink too many to cross the line.... THIS is already crossing the line!

Last edited:

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ISIL Threatens to 'Slaughter' Families of US Troops
Army Intelligence is warning U.S. military personnel to be vigilant after Islamic State (ISIL) militants called on supporters to scour social media for addresses of their family members -- and to "show up [at their homes] and slaughter them."
The assessment came from the Army Threat Integration Center (ARTIC) which issues early warnings of criminal and terrorist threats to Army posts worldwide.
*The advisory warns military personnel and their families about the Islamic State, or ISIS, calling on supporters to target their homes.
"Given the continued rhetoric being issued by ISIL's media services and supporters through various social media platforms the ARTIC is concerned of the possibility of an attack. Soldiers, Government Civilians and Family Members are reminded to be vigilant of their surroundings and report suspicious activities to their respective military or local law enforcement."
One section cites a jihadist tweet calling on lone offenders to use the "yellow pages" and social media to identify the addresses of military families, and to "show up [at their homes] and slaughter them."
The warnings should be taken seriously because increasing the costs of security is a deliberate and strategic goal for al-Qaida senior leadership -- though the Islamic State has split with al-Qaida. The Army has not changed protection levels at installations based on this warning as there is no credible intelligence to validate a specific threat or attack.
"This document is a reminder to stay vigilant," an Army spokesman said. "It provides renewed emphasis on force protection measures to ensure the safety and security of our DoD components, defense critical infrastructure, personnel and communities."
The warning comes amid heightened concerns about how the Islamic State and its followers are exploiting social media to expand their reach.

Honestly, I would purge all your Social Network Accounts since you have no control over who they sell all your data too and if vetting the buyers info is legit.

There is absolutely no true aspect of "secure privacy settings" since hackers/crackers bypass those with ease...ISIS aka ISIL aka IS and their affiliates/associates have access to freelance hackers/crackers.

Safest way is purging all Social Network Accounts, IMHO.

Stay safe and always be vigilant of your situational awareness.

Going back to bed, skype was annoying me...lol.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Please circulate this until he is arrested! All it will take is one drink too many to cross the line.... THIS is already crossing the line!

dafuq_was_that_0n0_by_snowprincess_lily-d6muntz.png

WTF is that shit??!! Wow....

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Funny that they missed the most important stuff in the page that caff shared...

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-29%20at%2011.58.12%20AM.png

Under "Who can see my stuff"
Set "Who can see your future posts?" to "Friends"
Set "Review all your posts and things you're tagged in" to "Use Activity Log" - this requires you to approve anything that you are tagged in before the tag shows up.
Run the "Limit Old Posts" tool to go back through your timeline and secure all old posts that you have made.

Bill

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I'm confused why anyone would need to circulate anything when he posted it publicly? Or did he go into hiding or something after it was posted?

adk1989

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nope uh uh...fuck that...if I ever saw anything like this happen I would not want to be held reponsible for the outcome of that situation...physical violence would definitely take place between me and that piece of shit...what a fucking psychopath

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny that they missed the most important stuff in the page that caff shared...

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-29%20at%2011.58.12%20AM.png

Under "Who can see my stuff"
Set "Who can see your future posts?" to "Friends"
Set "Review all your posts and things you're tagged in" to "Use Activity Log" - this requires you to approve anything that you are tagged in before the tag shows up.
Run the "Limit Old Posts" tool to go back through your timeline and secure all old posts that you have made.

Bill

Yeah, that was just a WikiHow posting, so not a true security-minded type of site.
FB and their policies has changed so much from when I'd used it, that anything I'd know would be moot by now.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aw my lil fishee I thought you would like the reaction of people that sit on it not you sitting on it silly
I most certainly would like the reaction. But how and how often would I be able to witness said reactions?
But it's only fair that I enjoy the pleasure of sitting on that seat at least once. I can't let everyone else have all the fun.
This dude needs to have his teeth kicked down his throat.
If he does go to the joint then that is something that is almost for sure to happen. If not worse.
But if there is someone behind the camera then that person is just as guilty and needs to have his or her teeth kicked down his or her throat as well.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, that was just a WikiHow posting, so not a true security-minded type of site.
FB and their policies has changed so much from when I'd used it, that anything I'd know would be moot by now.
A lot of the info was good basic info, just focused on the macro level instead of the micro. Although using a different password for every site you regularly use is actually bad practice because it causes people to record their passwords instead of memorizing them.
Better rule is to use one password for financial sites, use one for e-mail, and another for social and everything else.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A lot of the info was good basic info, just focused on the macro level instead of the micro. Although using a different password for every site you regularly use is actually bad practice because it causes people to record their passwords instead of memorizing them.
Better rule is to use one password for financial sites, use one for e-mail, and another for social and everything else.

Well, even better is to use something like KeePass. Anything important to me has 64-char alpha-numeric passwords with ASCII.
The sad fact is, the sites are more likely to be hacked from a Db or SQL vuln than anything else...people rarely hack actual passwords anymore..why take the time when ya can just dump the entire Db?

Rainbow tables are much more efficient anyways..

Plus, all browsers nowadays can remember passwords and if are encrypted using a Master Password, are quite secure.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Graahh...I'm turning into my father...

Coffee got cold, so went into the kitchen and put it in the microwave.
Came back out to see something on the TV..and forgot it. Now I gotta nuke it AGAIN...

senility_prayer.jpg

Sambuca

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
amazing voice....start watching at about 1:30 in

you are right. but i had to reinstall flash player cuz it was so unstable.

her voice made me think of this. not the beginning, but the long ending:

starting @5:30. but Zach plays a sweet solo before that.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mornin' everyone.
has anyone else gotten a pm from a person named lazia offering free product for reviews? wondered if it was spam.
Kelli, you have to report that pm if you can, there should be a report button there, just put spam on memo, I'll look into if anything was done yet on it.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kelli, you have to report that pm if you can, there should be a report button there, just put spam on memo, I'll look into if anything was done yet on it.
ok, i did hon.

VU Sponsors