Alternate Universe

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm trying really hard to help you out...but if you are starting from scratch...the mod/atty/batteries/charger will ultimately run you over $100.
Yes indeed I'm starting from scratch.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You think maybe he should just get a Kamry or something? You know, they give you the whole kit.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You'll have to excuse me about my ignorance. I'm still learning about mechanical mods and "regulated" mods. I an getting the gist but without having one in my hand, using it and understanding it that way it's hard. Thus my questions. Is there a mechanical mod that you recommend that I can get, mod, batteries and charger for $70? Or "regulated"? If you have a specific suggestion, like a specific product, not just go and look here and there, I'd be happy to hear about it.
For a total of $70 for everything you need...even the best deal possible for $70...no. And quite honestly, as far as mods go...I'd have to go price hunting just like you would......sadly, I have nothing to PIF at the moment that would help you out.
Regulated mods are essentially what you already have....the take the output voltage and "regulate" it into another number based on the build of your atty. A mechanical has no wires or chips...and 4.2 volts is the output regardless of the build.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You think maybe he should just get a Kamry or something? You know, they give you the whole kit.
LOL, just looked up Kamry and actually that's exactly what I'm talking about. Something cheap just to get me started. That actually will only run me about $60 with mod, batteries and charger. See, it's out there.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
LOL, just looked up Kamry and actually that's exactly what I'm talking about. Something cheap just to get me started. That actually will only run me about $60 with mod, batteries and charger. See, it's out there.
Glad you found one! Glad I could be of no help whatsoever lol. Again, it will get you into the game sir! Well found.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Glad you found one! Glad I could be of no help whatsoever lol. Again, it will get you into the game sir! Well found.
I will say this about the Kamry K100 (I am assuming this is what you found)...do not put a sub-ohm build on it! It was never intended for that...and will fail in a rather catastrophic way.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You were extremely helpful my friend. Sorry that I caused some aggravation. People who don't know what they are talking about who are asking questions often do that. But know I do appreciate all the help everyone has been trying to give me. Cheers.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will say this about the Kamry K100 (I am assuming this is what you found)...do not put a sub-ohm build on it! It was never intended for that...and will fail in a rather catastrophic way.
Thanks!!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@vaperature. I don't know if this helps you. I started with an MVP, too. When I decided to take the leap into mech mods and doing my own builds, I watched hours of vids, read what I could find and slowly started to gather the materials I would need: wick, wire, batteries and charger. Then I watched more vids to decide on what mod and what atty I wanted. I picked a dual post atty because 3 or more posts intimidated me. I could build a simple, single coil on a spacious deck. It was a Magma by Paradigm....big posts, big post holes.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
@vaperature. I don't know if this helps you. I started with an MVP, too. When I decided to take the leap into mech mods and doing my own builds, I watched hours of vids, read what I could find and slowly started to gather the materials I would need: wick, wire, batteries and charger. Then I watched more vids to decide on what mod and what atty I wanted. I picked a dual post atty because 3 or more posts intimidated me. I could build a simple, single coil on a spacious deck. It was a Magma by Paradigm....big posts, big post holes.
The Magma is great kit...I own a black one.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@vaperature That's about how I got into it too, like muth did. Just gathered things slowly. I do highly recommend an ohm meter on your shopping list! Have to check those coils. I do have something I could PIF to you. It's just a JM clone, 3 tubes, bottom button, non-adjustable pin. It's stainless but I wanted to see how flame coloring the metal would look so it's not shiny. Anyway, PM me if you want it. It'll get you started. Takes 18650, 18500 or 18350.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
@vaperature That's about how I got into it too, like muth did. Just gathered things slowly. I do highly recommend an ohm meter on your shopping list! Have to check those coils. I do have something I could PIF to you. It's just a JM clone, 3 tubes, bottom button, non-adjustable pin. It's stainless but I wanted to see how flame coloring the metal would look so it's not shiny. Anyway, PM me if you want it. It'll get you started. Takes 18650, 18500 or 18350.
And I'll add an Aspire Atlantis.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks man. It just helps me to actually have something in my hand, then I can search all the youtube videos and whatnot on how to use it and learn. I was the same way, way back when, when I first started vaping. I stared with a $14 evod kit from vapedojo just as a starting point, from there I went on to the bigger and better things. I'm not saying I've decided on a kamry, but it's a hell of a lead, and tomorrow I'll look more into it and do more research and ask more questions and hopefully soon I'll be confident enough to buy something to take that leap to the next step.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks man. It just helps me to actually have something in my hand, then I can search all the youtube videos and whatnot on how to use it and learn. I was the same way, way back when, when I first started vaping. I stared with a $14 evod kit from vapedojo just as a starting point, from there I went on to the bigger and better things. I'm not saying I've decided on a kamry, but it's a hell of a lead, and tomorrow I'll look more into it and do more research and ask more questions and hopefully soon I'll be confident enough to buy something to take that leap to the next step.
That will help you, and US!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Do you not like the Atlantis? I was wondering about them.
Despite all of my associates LOVING theirs....I find it to be rather
WIV8ucn.jpg

You know me...I buy things out of curiosity....then when they do not butter my parsnips....move them along!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You were lucky. I got took for $80 bucks for an evod by a schmuck! If I only knew then what I know now. (I didn't even get a pouch*****schmuck!)

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I always forget something!:DThanks, gg

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

will the ohm meter on my mvp suffice?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
will the ohm meter on my mvp suffice?
Here are my thoughts on that. It will "work"...but bear in mind that a resistance checker is designed to do that one thing. The resistance checker on a mod or VV device is NOT. One of the things I use my "ohms checker" for, is to determine just how accurate the built in checker on a device actually IS. One problem that the Evolv clone chips had/has...is that they did not read the resistance of the atty build correctly. If one part of the math is incorrect...then ALL of the math is off...causing a phenomena called "firing hot".

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here are my thoughts on that. It will "work"...but bear in mind that a resistance checker is designed to do that one thing. The resistance checker on a mod or VV device is NOT. One of the things I use my "ohms checker" for, is to determine just how accurate the built in checker on a device actually IS. One problem that the Evolv clone chips had/has...is that they did not read the resistance of the atty build correctly. If one part of the math is incorrect...then ALL of the math is off...causing a phenomena called "firing hot".
Not to worry, I"m really not planning on building anything really sub ohm just yet and will certainly do my homework before I attempt anything.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
nite i'm going to go watch a movie now take care i'll check back later for more excellent advice from my vaping friends

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello one and all......just purchased a Squape R...........not terribly unhappy with it.
Been wanting one of those. You'll have to give us your expert opinion.

Last edited:

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@vaperature your MVP 2.0 supports coils down to 1.0 Ohms so it is a good mod to start learning how to build an RBA on. I have one and regularly use it with my Kayfun Lite Plus v2 for juices that taste best in the 8-11 watt range which with a mech mod would be like building a 1.4 to 1.9 Ohm coil, based on a battery operating at 3.9v, which is just about half of it's operating life between charges.

I'm fairly new to them myself, and have found that the biggest part of getting into the rebuildables game are the bits and pieces required to build the atomizer itself:
$30 - $40 Atomizer - I like my Kayfun Lite Plus v2 the best, but I'm also finally enjoying my Orchid v4 (both by Tobeco) after reading through @franciscan's "Yet another one of my famous "Mickey Mouse Ears" Orchid builds"
$5 Kanthal A1 wire - I currently have 28g and 32g and wish I had 30g as it seems to be the most flexible
$15 Ohm Reader - Is also nice for holding the build deck while you are working on it
$12 Ceramic tweezers (not required but really really nice to have and for a beginner will save you a lot of frustration by not frying your coil if you touch it to soon or let off to late)
$8 Wicking material - Japanese cotton pads are popular right now and I think that the pack I linked will last forever
$5 Small wire clips - Some people just use toenail clippers, but I like a pair that can get in real close and is easy to grip

So the items listed above will cost you about $75

After you have building down, then you can decide what sort of power range you want, keeping in mind that price per watt for regulated mods are dropping fast right now and will be down further in 30-60 days most likely.

As for the mech mods:
$7.50 x2 - At least 2 batteries so you are not sitting around waiting for you only battery to recharge for 4-5 hours - the LG 18650HE2 from illumn.com came highly recommended to me by @Nikkita6
$10 - Charger the Nitecore i2 Intellicharger is what she PIF'd to me.
In-line battery tester is nice for double checking battery health and when to recharge when you are just starting, you'll start to recognize when it is needed as you gain experience.
$30 - Mech Mod itself, I won a Fuhattan from 101vape.com thanks to @Zeus via Mod Envy. Others decent clones are available in the same price range.

So you are looking at another $55 minimum to jump into the mech mod realm.

As for regulated mods, I won a Wotofo/A-mod ZNA 30 clone in a contest run by @Nikkita6 and it is what I use 75% of the time, with the MVP 2.0 running about 20% and the mech about 5%. Honestly for my needs as a flavor chaser looking for a consistent vape the ZNA 30 has satisfied pretty much all my needs, but I change flavors a lot and have several that taste best down in the sub 11 watt range so I keep the MVP handy.

Other than the reality check above from a someone who recently graduated to rebuildables, everything else is watching youtube and spending time in the rebuildables section here.

VU Sponsors