Become a Patron!

Are Atlantis coils dangerous to your health? One vaper thinks so!

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Most industries have a brief period of the wild west phase, but the ecig industry is still well in it. You just have to be careful navigating around the different juices, wicking, builds, etc.. but ultimately, it only boils down to a choice of risk mitigation based on your own personal standards.

Speaking of which, I'm curious to know how many Atlantis users like to fill up their tanks with Suicide Bunny juices ;)
Very good post and an example I hadn't thought of. The problem is that when most industries enter regulation and leave the Wild West, it isn't towards a fate of banning them or rendering them so neutered that they're useless. As you said, we have to be careful and it's on us. Educate yourself, and make decisions from there.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Just started getting a throat hit after 3 tanks in my Atlantis... Why is this happening? Is it dangerous to my health?
What do you mean by a throat hit?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Raspy irritating throat discomfort..suddenly happened after 3 fill ups..same juice, mod etc..I don't get it why its happening all of a sudden..?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Prolly time to clean or replace the coil... Aspire coils do that :mad:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Replace after only 3 tanks of juice from being brand new?
Hell, at $6 apiece or $25 for 5 I'm going back to dripping..later with this piece of junk...

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Replace after only 3 tanks of juice from being brand new?
Hell, at $6 apiece or $25 for 5 I'm going back to dripping..later with this piece of junk...
Well.. I've had them go bad in a little as 1/2 a tank to lasting several weeks. From the same box!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly...I might try rebuilding them but I'm not going to buy anymore coils...already got it off the mod and sitting on the shelf..replaced it with my tried and excellent Zenith RDA dripping again..I drip it once and its good for 8-10 good pulls, and no raspy throat discomfort...

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Roll up a paper towel (Viva for wet surfaces is like a shop towel, best out there IMO), or Kleenex...into a little spike, twist and put it down the center of coil. It will soak up the dark juices. Repeat, and just let it sit, the towel will wick out a lot of the juice, I was surprise after an hour or so how much it kept going. Then refill, and vape. I found this brings back a fresher flavor in my Nauts.

I have never been able to wash them out in any manner that did not screw them up. The best way I have is to soak out the old juice, and refill

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very good post and an example I hadn't thought of. The problem is that when most industries enter regulation and leave the Wild West, it isn't towards a fate of banning them or rendering them so neutered that they're useless. As you said, we have to be careful and it's on us. Educate yourself, and make decisions from there.

That's why these types of discussions are good to have. I briefly read through one of the ECF threads on this, and you have people making asinine comments like "well, you used to inhale thousands of chemicals when you were a smoker, so why fuss over something you don't know about?" or "you are probably vaping diacetyl rich juices anyway, so what's the point?"

LOL... I think the point is that we vape because most of us made a decision at one point to use a safer alternative to combustibles, and in choosing to do so, many of us became more aware to the fact that we have much more control with choices on how and what we inhale. ;)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just started getting a throat hit after 3 tanks in my Atlantis... Why is this happening? Is it dangerous to my health?

Pretty much anything you inhale regularly will be dangerous to your health ;)

As for your Atlantis, your raspy throat may be a symptom of not enough fluids since the increased amount of vapor inhalation might be dehydrating you much faster. Or, it could just be microscopic shards lodging itself into your throat and lungs... Whatever the reason may be, its a process of elimination for different variables. Could it be your e-juice? Power level? wicking material? Take or change those out one at a time and you should be able to pinpoint what works and what doesn't work for you in no time at all.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used this one
and actually get more flavor then the original so I think it once again boils down to the old addage about each persons taste may be different?

This is a rebuildable????? For the typical vaper? With cotton? NR wire? Torching?

Delion thanks for posting this. A great many issues brought up by this video. Who is the originator/vendor/publisher? Would ya let me know please or post here. Thx.

Happy Holidays.

:)

Delion

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is a rebuildable????? For the typical vaper? With cotton? NR wire? Torching?

Delion thanks for posting this. A great many issues brought up by this video. Who is the originator/vendor/publisher? Would ya let me know please or post here. Thx.

Happy Holidays.

@MacTechVpr I honestly do not remember who did it was one of the ones posted in the chat the evening of the discussion with Derek on the show, I really can not recall who posted it. I have used it, though I think it is a good way of doing it on a new unused head if your going to do it, so you really are not having to torch it. However, I can not recall who the originator of the person who posted it was.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@MacTechVpr I honestly do not remember who did it was one of the ones posted in the chat the evening of the discussion with Derek on the show, I really can not recall who posted it. I have used it, though I think it is a good way of doing it on a new unused head if your going to do it, so you really are not having to torch it. However, I can not recall who the originator of the person who posted it was.

Thanks for the speedy comeback. Got lucky. Was able to run it down. When these coils came out everyone wanted to rebuild 'em and do a video. I figured it might have been a video blogger…

▶ Tutorial: Aspire Atlantis coil head rewick/rebuild using Japanese organic cotton. - YouTube
James Martin - YouTube

Just to set the record straight as per posts here…the core wick material for the AA coil is ceramic, not silica. The crucible test earlier (which I couldn't find for the life of me going back over the thread, lol) would seem to indicate that the material is indeed ceramic…HOWEVER, there are substantial differences in the production technology for ceramic fibers and accordingly an extremely high variation in their temperature tolerances. The crucible burn test would only seem to suggest that the AA coil wicking is high temp resistant but perhaps only comparable to that of high temp silica which is quite good but not extraordinary. Still possibly compromised by high or prolonged high temp exposure which might be generated by aggressive dry burning and torching. So many of us seem disposed to anyway despite the readily available data that this may compromise both wick and wire regardless of composition. So it's an issue.

Props to LucidiousRage above for posting the fibril minimum particulate sizes for silica and ceramic. I would note that the spec he posted would appear to pertain to 3M's Nextel 312 material and not necessarily to other ceramic compositions which would very likely be inferior to 3M's unique product. At these particulate sizes and given the neutral and benign characteristics of ceramic (we cook on it for cryin' out loud) it's about the safest material we might conceive of to use for vaping based on my research on this subject going on now two years. Unfortunately Aspire and others have chosen to design their coils in such a manner is to make it almost impossible for us to rebuild in a safe and proper method electrically (the center charring at the AA coil denotes the inefficiency). So their expression of concern about our preferences for cotton over ceramic is hardly compelling. Still it's to Aspire's credit to be fair that they attempt to incorporate a high-tech wicking material. Not, if as with the NR wire, to mask its improper performance. This is an expensive product.

The rebuilding of assemblies like the Nautilus is a great pastime, hobby, accomplishment for those of you adept enough to attempt it. My interest is in rebuilding solutions that are electrically sound and practical enough for the average person to achieve and rely upon. To Aspire I'd say follow Kanger's lead and open up your architecture to help the vaping community. A great many of us appreciate the design and performance of your products. You can only benefit from making them even more accessible.

Happy Holidays all.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the speedy comeback. Got lucky. Was able to run it down. When these coils came out everyone wanted to rebuild 'em and do a video. I figured it might have been a video blogger…

▶ Tutorial: Aspire Atlantis coil head rewick/rebuild using Japanese organic cotton. - YouTube
James Martin - YouTube

Just to set the record straight as per posts here…the core wick material for the AA coil is ceramic, not silica. The crucible test earlier (which I couldn't find for the life of me going back over the thread, lol) would seem to indicate that the material is indeed ceramic…HOWEVER, there are substantial differences in the production technology for ceramic fibers and accordingly an extremely high variation in their temperature tolerances. The crucible burn test would only seem to suggest that the AA coil wicking is high temp resistant but perhaps only comparable to that of high temp silica which is quite good but not extraordinary. Still possibly compromised by high or prolonged high temp exposure which might be generated by aggressive dry burning and torching. So many of us seem disposed to anyway despite the readily available data that this may compromise both wick and wire regardless of composition. So it's an issue.

Props to LucidiousRage above for posting the fibril minimum particulate sizes for silica and ceramic. I would note that the spec he posted would appear to pertain to 3M's Nextel 312 material and not necessarily to other ceramic compositions which would very likely be inferior to 3M's unique product. At these particulate sizes and given the neutral and benign characteristics of ceramic (we cook on it for cryin' out loud) it's about the safest material we might conceive of to use for vaping based on my research on this subject going on now two years. Unfortunately Aspire and others have chosen to design their coils in such a manner is to make it almost impossible for us to rebuild in a safe and proper method electrically (the center charring at the AA coil denotes the inefficiency). So their expression of concern about our preferences for cotton over ceramic is hardly compelling. Still it's to Aspire's credit to be fair that they attempt to incorporate a high-tech wicking material. Not, if as with the NR wire, to mask its improper performance. This is an expensive product.

The rebuilding of assemblies like the Nautilus is a great pastime, hobby, accomplishment for those of you adept enough to attempt it. My interest is in rebuilding solutions that are electrically sound and practical enough for the average person to achieve and rely upon. To Aspire I'd say follow Kanger's lead and open up your architecture to help the vaping community. A great many of us appreciate the design and performance of your products. You can only benefit from making them even more accessible.

Happy Holidays all.

I saw that Kanger sub tank at my local shop and indeed it came with a organic cotton wick/coil..but they still use those small inside diameter chimney tubes that all
Protanks use limiting airflow..to me is was like sucking on a straw..now the Atlantis has true dripper style airflow but the only thing I wish is they would also use organic cotton like Kanger.. To me that would be the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I saw that Kanger sub tank at my local shop and indeed it came with a organic cotton wick/coil..but they still use those small inside diameter chimney tubes that all
Protanks use limiting airflow..to me is was like sucking on a straw..now the Atlantis has true dripper style airflow but the only thing I wish is they would also use organic cotton like Kanger.. To me that would be the best of both worlds.
If it had the small chimney it WAS NOT the production coil.. It was a beta coil no longer used.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's no problem with the airflow on the Subtank. I'd say it's very precisely matched to the temperature feel and texture they were trying to achieve with their resistance target. What they apparently believe we all want here in the States. But no, airflow would not be a problem there. And based on the Aspire's I've sampled it's comparable or better in that department. But if it's Japanese contton, it's nothing like any variety I've ever sampled. More like rayon in it's flavor handling attributes. Or they're running some alternative wire comp. This does not feel or taste like a Kanthal/JC matchup. My take 3 days in as it's starting to discolor from my aggressive vaping style.

Good luck all and Happy Holidays.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Opinions vary..I got to try out vaping both the Kanger sub tank and Atlantis side by side at my local shop...I bought the Atlantis, way better airflow and thicker bigger clouds..side by side on same mods...and it's 22mm that looks cool on my 18650 mods..but to each his own bro..if you like Kanger I'm happy for you..its not my choice for reasons I already stated...

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Opinions vary..I got to try out vaping both the Kanger sub tank and Atlantis side by side at my local shop...I bought the Atlantis, way better airflow and thicker bigger clouds..side by side on same mods...and it's 22mm that looks cool on my 18650 mods..but to each his own bro..if you like Kanger I'm happy for you..its not my choice for reasons I already stated...

They always work they way you expect them to work, at the vape shop.

I generally don't post my pref's smacksy (as if they mattered). I don't work for Kanger or necessarily prefer them. I write about the results I see and how they might impact the average user. Just so you know where I'm comin' from. If I see tech differences that give vapers an advantage…that, would be a preference for me.

I do have an opinion about which direction the marketplace is being directed by producers (which to me seems counterintuitive) and I do talk about that on occasion.

But I would admit that one trial between two atty's at a B&M with any juice without a certainty of the setup conditions wouldn't be an adequate test drive for me to spend a dime much less the Subtank's MSRP. That's more like a snapshot…like so many of the reviews, etc. all over the internet.

Maybe that's why we go through so much shiny stuff.

Just sayin'. Enjoy the vape smaksy.

Good luck and Happy Holidays all.

Last edited:

Aaronhami924

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I thought the Atlantis coils were cotton? I tried dry burning my Atlantis coils to clean them. Bad idea, the wick burned up. Didnt think silica burned?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
High level of Acetyl propionyl was found by independent study. AP is basically the same thing as Diacetyl.
What do those chemicals/elements mean for us health wise?

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do those chemicals mean for us health wise?

Prolonged exposure to Diacetyl or AP is believed to cause popcorn lung. Nevertheless, prolonged exposure to any inhalant is not going to be good for you in the long run ;)

Asking about what is safe in vaping is like asking if I eat large Macdonalds French fries every day versus someone drinking a 2 liters of coke every day, which is safer? What If I eat the fries every other day, or switch to drinking coke? ;)

Although the research on many things vape related is still murky, you can still take your own steps to reduce your own perception of risk.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Read her page here http://thesuicidebunny.net/bunny/page/2/
Along with lab tests showing thats not the case. Rumors have their way of making the rounds. Just like accusations of silica in the aspire atlantis coils
Supposedly, someone did a test of many liquids and hers came up with bad stuff in it.. She does refute that and says she has the paperwork to prove it, but wont actually release the papers.. Just going by memory.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Supposedly, someone did a test of many liquids and hers came up with bad stuff in it.. She does refute that and says she has the paperwork to prove it, but wont actually release the papers.. Just going by memory.

One would think that she would release the paperwork and info to stop the swirl of whispers, but apparently not.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

"Supposedly" is right. She released some lab reports if you follow that link. I have yet to see any legitimate proof from a legitimate lab to say otherwise. It's unfortunate in our society today, the successful often find themselves under attack by individuals seeking gain by tearing down others. She has defended the rumors quite well if you ask me. Until someone comes up with some actual proof, I'm not buying into it.

Kind of like this company who is cybersquatting on SB's trademark, re-directing traffic to their own juice site. http://suicidebunny.net Obviously they can't seem to make or market a juice that anyone wants, so they resort to this kind of deceit .

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"Supposedly" is right. She released some lab reports if you follow that link. I have yet to see any legitimate proof from a legitimate lab to say otherwise. It's unfortunate in our society today, the successful often find themselves under attack by individuals seeking gain by tearing down others. She has defended the rumors quite well if you ask me. Until someone comes up with some actual proof, I'm not buying into it.

Kind of like this company who is cybersquatting on SB's trademark, re-directing traffic to their own juice site. http://suicidebunny.net Obviously they can't seem to make or market a juice that anyone wants, so they resort to this kind of deceit .
I dunno.. I'm not gonna look it up again, but there was a big to do about it on Reddit and ECF, with links to the 3rd party lab results. Those lab results had others on it besides SB as well.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I saw in the hot link you posted was a video and a link to the OHSA site below.

Scroll a little further down there are a few pdf files from a Lab in Tustin California.

I did see one report showing high levels, but the report looked like someone typed it on Microsoft Word, with no Lab Company Name, no phone numbers for the lab, no nothing, so I discarded it as anything credible.

Last edited:

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Diacetyl is a molecule that is linked to lung damage. What levels are critical and what specific diseases are debateable, but it clear that Popcorn lung is not the only one. Since 2009-2010, its been well known in the vaping community that Diacetyl should not be used, to the point where marketing was done on many websites saying they are Diacetyl Free. Dr. F (well known published scientist) did a crowd funded study on how previlant Diacetyl is in juices. It turned out essentially 3 out of every 4 tested had Diacetyl or Acetyl propionyl (AP) in them. What the study also showed was the Diacetyl and AP are essentially the same molecule with nearly the exact same risks. This was actually more critical than the counts, because vendors could say Diacetyl free, when they simply replaced it with the AP.

Russ of Click Bang did some testing of Suicide Bunny e-liquids on his own, he said he chose Suicide Bunny only because they were more dodgey than the other three companies he asked. As it turns out the others were more dodgy, because he is still waiting from information from them. At first Suicide Bunny only tested for Diacetyl, then they tested for AP too. The test came back the same, Diacetyl essentially zero, and AP at some levels.

Pip of SB said that Diacetyl is not the devil its made out to be, and pointed people to various published results. The problem was those tests only were checking for Popcorn lung, not Emphysema or COPD. Dr. F stated the interpretation of Dicetyl and AP and ONLY popcorn lung was not a correct way to examine that specific study. So the tests were the same, except for what levels of AP in SB juices.

The Dr. F study had a problem for vapors, in that it did not give a guide to how they can solve the issue in ordering. 3 out of 4, bad odds, Claims of Dicacetyl free, without talking about AP, Flavor companies saying they are Diacetyl free, when they are not. A few companies test, like Mountain Oak, The Vapor Bar, Nicquid, and a few others. But nobody really knows because Diacetyl free has been be proven to be BS in so many cases. The study also found that 25% are clean, but nobody knows who they are, and how they taste. Likely they taste good, but we don't know what we don't know.

If we knew what the Flavor companies were doing, we could know.

The Aspire dangers at this point are pretty much bullshit. Silicosis has been talked about for years, and silica wick has been essentially dismissed by most of the old threads are having real risk. Read the posts on ECF from years ago. Also some of the temperatures to be concerned about are way higher than Vaping is ever going to hit with a wet or even dry wick. A toaster can make chards of burnt to black toast. But nobody is dumb enough to eat black burnt toast. Similarly you can have a totally dry wick, but you are not going to vape at it. Temperature test on youtube exist, and a new study is going to go after high heat too. Dr. F again, and again crowd funded by vapers. A magnifing glass does not tell you what something is made of. It can, but a 50x magnifying glass saying it looks like chopped up something is total BS. 50x is a toy microscope. A real one is less than a used provari in cost. http://www.amscope.com/40x-2500x-le...-camera.html?gclid=CPGSv-TC7cICFUVgfgodiHUA7w 300 bucks, so consider that when someone says they studied it at 50x. Saying that Aspire is lying and it proven that its Silica, it total BS. Saying Ready X wick looks like heat treated Ekowool, is also BS. Aspire has started to respond, and if they are shown to be lying it will be important. But is BS pure crappola to say that its PROVEN that Aspire is using Silica.

Suicide Bunny said for a long time to specfic question if their juices had AP, had said they did not. They do. Ask Pip, she says same now, but she also says they are very low. What is the end risk, nobody knows. One thing for sure, is the FDA, not going to be happy with Diacetyl and AP. The UK has banned them, at least the largest vendor in the UK recalled and pulled the shit from the shelves.

Anyone saying anything was done to personally go after SB or any other vendor is just wrong. Why? 3 out of 4, out of 162 tested. You can buy SB in basically every State locally. If you are going to do one check, not a bad bang for buck choice, and Pip responded to the challenge. The why me, is deflection. I would like Pip to say she was wrong, and for her not to have deleted the FB posting where she answered the question.

Pip responded in the end, which is very good. But I have made the choice to avoid all Diacetyl and AP liquids. I don't care if its safer than smoking, which it is, I don't need a flavor choice so much I can not just simply avoid it. And I also know that some vendors make them. Some flavor companies make them too. Like Flavor Art inhalation line since 2011+

That's where its at, and it sucks.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Diacetyl is a molecule that is linked to lung damage. What levels are critical and what specific diseases are debatable…

You make some pretty good points here.

If we knew what the Flavor companies were doing, we could know…

Yes, they could and should be more forthcoming but things have gotten a lot better since I started vaping 18 months ago. Let the buyer beware and the market will take care of itself.

...The Aspire dangers at this point are pretty much bullshit…

Unfortunately I don't believe so. If resulting particulate sizes in operation are on the order of or as mentioned earlier in this thread (<3microns) they are potentially hazardous (if indeed Aspire is using such a ceramic material). I always recommend we each do our own due diligence. I've assessed 3M's Nextel for over a year admittedly at less than laboratory but professional standards. I would personally attest to its utility and safety from an educated lay perspective and as a substantial "at risk" user all that time. However, no one could do so for an unknown unidentified spec material which would be the case here (if true). To express doubts in this context would not be bullshit but in fact called for. I should say I have sampled but not tested Aspire's Atlantis product. My checks usually involves months of use, rebuilding, wick alternative studies and far more. Aspire has for some time discouraged this in their architecture.

If it's ceramic they used in the Atlantis coils and the specification adequate for our purposes, I applaud Aspire. As you point out with flavor companies, the same criteria of necessity of disclosure applies whether it's ceramic, silica or wire. Instead, it would be great to be told if it's going to be thrust upon us unannounced and with little regard for our understanding as to the change whether wick, wire or temperature control.

...Also some of the temperatures to be concerned about are way higher than Vaping is ever going to hit with a wet or even dry wick..

I might suggest you reconsider that statement even with respect to glycerin. Certainly about wire alloys. Many of our winding methods which many seldom consider relevant take us into unfavorable territory both to wire and juices we consume. You can argue temp control and even legally regulate temp all you want but it won't stop some from bypassing any purpose, benefit or safety intention determined to mix Kanthal with some unspecified alloy of Nickel cause it works. So called solutions seem to come hand over fist without regard to the realities of use.

To me it seems at times that our biggest safety risk is our community's absorption with trying every new thing that comes along just because somebody posted it and oh yeah, it was a great vape.

I'd just add my usual recommendation...

Prove all things. Hold fast that which is good.

Good luck all.

Last edited:

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You make some pretty good points here.

Yes, they could and should be more forthcoming but things have gotten a lot better since I started vaping 18 months ago. Let the buyer beware and the market will take care of itself.

Unfortunately I don't believe so. If resulting particulate sizes in operation are on the order of or as mentioned earlier in this thread (<3microns they are potentially hazardous (if indeed Aspire is using such a ceramic material). I always recommend we each do our own due diligence. I've assessed 3M's Nextel for over a year admittedly at less than laboratory but professional standards. I would personally attest to its utility and safety from an educated lay perspective and as a substantial "at risk" user all that time. However, no one could do so for an unknown unidentified spec material which would be the case here (if true). To express doubts in this context would not be bullshit but in fact called for. I should say I have sampled but not tested Aspire's Atlantis product. My checks usually involves months of use, rebuilding, wick alternative studies and far more. Aspire has for some time discouraged this in their architecture.

If it's ceramic they used in the Atlantis coils and the specification adequate for our purposes, I applaud Aspire. As you point out with flavor companies, the same criteria of necessity of disclosure applies whether it's ceramic, silica or wire. Instead, it would be great to be told if it's going to be thrust upon us unannounced and with little regard for our understanding as to the change whether wick, wire or temperature control.

I might suggest you reconsider that statement even with respect to glycerin. Certainly about wire alloys. Many of our winding methods which many seldom consider relevant take us into unfavorable territory both to wire and juices we consume. You can argue temp control and even legally regulate temp all you want but it won't stop some from bypassing any purpose, benefit or safety intention determined to mix Kanthal with some unspecified alloy of Nickel cause it works. So called solutions seem to come hand over fist without regard to the realities of use.

To me it seems at times that our biggest safety risk is our community's absorption with trying every new thing that comes along just because somebody posted it and oh yeah, it was a great vape.

I'd just add my usual recommendation...

Good luck all.

Do you know where I can find the expose that TygerTyger wrote on the Atlantis coils?

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's a partial rundown on the articles and I believe the one you mention is the first listed…

Vapor Joe Lies and spreads rumors about Aspire Atlantis Coils out of Greed: FastTech Forums

I don't know enough about the claims as I've not undertaken to test these tanks. Silica cake and unspecified grade of ceramic are a cause of concern given what we know about sensitivities and particulate sizes. It is of particular interest to me as an "at risk" individual and why in part I undertook a consumer rebuilding study now going on well over a year. Ceramic wicking has been a central part of that study by comparison with other media. My studies have centered on Kanger products due to their overwhelming dominance of the clearo market at the time of inception. I have no interest to study Aspire or any other who adopt a policy of closing their architecture in such a manner as to inhibit rebuilding. Users and buyers of such equipment become a captured market who may be inhibited financially from making informed choices.

If Aspire has acted responsibly my kudos to them.

Here is their official response which may have been posted earlier here.

Aspire Support: •View topic - Aspire official statement on Atlantis coils material

I would want to see more than an MSDS on something like the silica and ceramic being used or any crystalline substance used for wicking or insulation. A real material and source spec ideally. Something that could be independently verified. Such is available within reason for US produced products I've tested like 3M's Nextel braided ceramic. And being that this is such a personal activity, I recommend all to do their own research.

We smoked blindly for years suspending disbelief about the contents of the product. Such is the nature of being a captured market. We pretty much still are where silica and its quality is concerned. Let's not repeat the same error.

I think if we as a community don't promote this concept of disclosure, it will be done for us.

Just sayin'.

Good luck all.

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think we agree, but some of your past efforts I am not up to speed on.
1. With respect to temps. I believe this guy.
280 Celsius on a raw coil, and 135 Celsius or lower on a wet wick in a vaping mode. As I said Dr. F is going to be doing a major study on temps too. But Pegasus is pretty convincingly showing that the temperature in vaping are much different than needed to be doing all sorts of crazy chemical reactions. Its not melting the Kanthal too

2. Aspire has said they are using cotton outer layers and ceramic paper in the middle. They say its their own patented ceramic paper. So they can and should provide plenty of information on it. They say it is not Silica. Paper is cellulose--> which is what cotton is primarily.

3. When I say BS, I am referring to this.
"We already know that the wicking material in the Atlantis and other Aspire coil heads is finely chopped silica, pressed into a cake form to fill the coil head surrounding the coil. We also know that the particles that are freed during vaping are as small as 2 microns"​
We don't know any of that. You can not tell that with a 50X magnifying glass. Others report silica wick is about 20 microns. Is somebody saying you can chop 20 microns into 2 microns? That would be with what...1 micron chopping blades?? How are these particles being freed up?
And then the other problem, Aspire says its not silica in the first place.​

4. Lets say Atlantis is Silica, years old fears of silicosis have been addressed over and over. The silicosis relates to crystalline silica, not amorphousness "Criteria presented in this document do no pertain to amorphous, noncrystalline forms of silica."
So the main thrust of the concern is if we have crystalline Silica wicks, and we don't have crystalline.

5. This has been plowed and looked at for a long time now, since Kanger and everyone else uses silica wicks in cartos and clearos.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...77764-dangers-silica-wicks-7.html#post8663717
and
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...77764-dangers-silica-wicks-7.html#post8800718

Should we ask for all the information we can on Aspire's Ceramic Paper...ABSOLUTELY.
But saying its Silica, silica bad, so everyone must use Cotton.....is a bunch of wild conclusions.

If there is some real items on Silica wick dangers I want to read about them still. But Silica for wicking is not the same silica as associated with Silicosis.

Last edited:

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, silica does burn.
sure just bring up the temperature past about 2,000 degrees and silica MAY burn. The outsides of the BVC are cotton, dry burn a BVC head, and you at the very least, got burnt cotton.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
sure just bring up the temperature past about 2,000 degrees and silica MAY burn. The outsides of the BVC are cotton, dry burn a BVC head, and you at the very least, got burnt cotton.
I'm not involved in the Atlantis coil debate. I can only say from experience with silica rope that I have had some nasty dry hits. But then, even ReadyxWick will taste like crap if you push it too far without enough saturation.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think we agree, but some of your past efforts I am not up to speed on..

Thanks for your great reply Tom. I think we agree in gen too. You'll note I said "if" caked material is occurring in <3micron Ø it's possibly a problem. The ceramic paper has also been shown to disintegrate in a PBus vid I saw as I recall.. Eko and ceramic varieties are definitely different. I'm interested to see any data on crystalline fiber in use but trust the 3M product due to the consistent quality of fiber continuity. I'm concerned about the extent of aversion to synthetics I see constantly. Not justified. Cotton has exactly the same weaknesses with respect to wind inefficiencies as synthetics, if not more. We cook with ceramics due to their sterile innocuous qualities. But we're all left in uncertainty without disclosure. When introducing new products as Kanger did recently with it's change to OCC it would be a far better marketing consumer step to prominently talk up the spec. Frankly tho, we as consumers (not you or I) are just not looking mostly. Admittedly, I just discovered this thread and I need some catch up. Don't know if the micron spec that initiated concerns were validated somewhere in here.

The thermal gun tests are interesting. Good post. I've seen live tests with a bit lower results. We can't be sure of how pertinent tho as the temp's are averaged and the angular focus is probably quite wide. Each coil has variations and it's those exceptions that cause trouble. Like a hot lead at high power or in a tight vaporization space where heat can be rapidly escalated without diffusion. I don't think a typical thermal gun would reflect those deviations. Based on my readings I'd be cautious about temp's over 500F. If we're to suffer governmental intrusion I feel it's more likely going to be precipitated by this argument of high temp risk and our inability to adequately manage it as users. So I find it ironic that some would capitalize on temp controlled devices when so many of us are not making stable electrical coils. And the lack of information and disinformation about this is overwhelming. So I'm all for disclosure and encouraging rebuilding.

Tom since there are so many unknowns and most of us lack the tools and resources to really pin down the facts of our own use, I chose to take the high road and limit detraction. Focus on getting new vapers to build better coils. That's where we have a direct control over our temperature result. Too many folks get unduly alarmed at the first sign of trouble and this does vaping no good. And that means looking at beneficial alternatives. If smokey's on to somethin' I think he should have at it. I would tend to agree. I for one would love to know the source for the original poster on the <3micron spec if anyone has it.

Happy Holidays all.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't believe I hit 2,000 degrees! o_O

Hey muth, mornin'.

Check out Sandvik's Kanthal temp conversion table here (pg. 94).

Pop the cap on a dripper with a hot lead, or a Aero tank with a hot end or coil center…what would you say the temperature is that you're seeing?

I research tension as a winding technology. And I've seen color temps towards the high end of that scale with over-tightened winds end-to-end.

What temp do you think you're pulling when you dry burn? Based on this scale?

LMK. Thx.

Happy Holidays.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for your great reply Tom. I think we agree in gen too. You'll note I said "if" caked material is occurring in <3micron Ø it's possibly a problem. The ceramic paper has also been shown to disintegrate in a PBus vid I saw as I recall.. Eko and ceramic varieties are definitely different. I'm interested to see any data on crystalline fiber in use but trust the 3M product due to the consistent quality of fiber continuity. I'm concerned about the extent of aversion to synthetics I see constantly. Not justified. Cotton has exactly the same weaknesses with respect to wind inefficiencies as synthetics, if not more. We cook with ceramics due to their sterile innocuous qualities. But we're all left in uncertainty without disclosure. When introducing new products as Kanger did recently with it's change to OCC it would be a far better marketing consumer step to prominently talk up the spec. Frankly tho, we as consumers (not you or I) are just not looking mostly. Admittedly, I just discovered this thread and I need some catch up. Don't know if the micron spec that initiated concerns were validated somewhere in here.

The thermal gun tests are interesting. Good post. I've seen live tests with a bit lower results. We can't be sure of how pertinent tho as the temp's are averaged and the angular focus is probably quite wide. Each coil has variations and it's those exceptions that cause trouble. Like a hot lead at high power or in a tight vaporization space where heat can be rapidly escalated without diffusion. I don't think a typical thermal gun would reflect those deviations. Based on my readings I'd be cautious about temp's over 500F. If we're to suffer governmental intrusion I feel it's more likely going to be precipitated by this argument of high temp risk and our inability to adequately manage it as users. So I find it ironic that some would capitalize on temp controlled devices when so many of us are not making stable electrical coils. And the lack of information and disinformation about this is overwhelming. So I'm all for disclosure and encouraging rebuilding.

Tom since there are so many unknowns and most of us lack the tools and resources to really pin down the facts of our own use, I chose to take the high road and limit detraction. Focus on getting new vapers to build better coils. That's where we have a direct control over our temperature result. Too many folks get unduly alarmed at the first sign of trouble and this does vaping no good. And that means looking at beneficial alternatives. If smokey's on to somethin' I think he should have at it. I would tend to agree. I for one would love to know the source for the original poster on the <3micron spec if anyone has it.

Happy Holidays all.

Hi MacTech, I'm glad to see that you and others with some scientific background are taking interest in this. Have you contacted Jeremy at RBA Supplies? You might find him informative due to the product he sells and helped develop. Good luck:)

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey muth, mornin'.

Check out Sandvik's Kanthal temp conversion table here (pg. 94).

Pop the cap on a dripper with a hot lead, or a Aero tank with a hot end or coil center…what would you say the temperature is that you're seeing?

I research tension as a winding technology. And I've seen color temps towards the high end of that scale with over-tightened winds end-to-end.

What temp do you think you're pulling when you dry burn? Based on this scale?

LMK. Thx.

Happy Holidays.

You'll have to help me out on that; a little above my head. But, if I read it correctly were they not referring to kanthal D? Would the temps be much different with kanthal A1? Also, I can't say that I have any builds around with hot leads. I try not to do that;)

VU Sponsors