Become a Patron!

Basic MOSFET wiring

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow it sounds like thats going to be the sled to have! Thats a really good idea, I can't wait to see what it comes out like in one of your boxes, once he frees up some time to finish it up.
I received the size box I think you ordered today. The small one in pic, Sorry for the bathroom pics. LOL will have a better comparison next week. My mod stuff and camera are at work.

Blue box.jpg

WescottsVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I received the size box I think you ordered today. The small one in pic, Sorry for the bathroom pics. LOL will have a better comparison next week. My mod stuff and camera are at work.

View attachment 8581
That looks about the right size, the sent me the Hammond 1591BSK with is like a 1/2in bigger all around than the ASK(that I ordered) but theres no way I was gunna wait for them to ship it the right one before I put together what I had. At least then sent me the 12mm switch I asked for this time haha

WescottsVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nobody building?
I haven't had the chance to build again...yet. I did have a question though. One of my friends is trying to put together a DNA30 box, and he wants to be able to flip a switch and turn off the chip, running the mod unregulated. After he said that I tried to think of how he'd wire it safely and it was beyond me. Could it be done?

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got my box and MOSFETS in (need the OSHPark board too), need the battery tray and the 510 connector on top

Payday today...might just order em

I have a busted Vamo but the internals are still good...almost tempted to make a Vamo box mod just 'cuase
I vape at very low power...don't really need to have a crazy high wattage rig...

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't had the chance to build again...yet. I did have a question though. One of my friends is trying to put together a DNA30 box, and he wants to be able to flip a switch and turn off the chip, running the mod unregulated. After he said that I tried to think of how he'd wire it safely and it was beyond me. Could it be done?
Think he would need a double pole double throw switch for that.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got my box and MOSFETS in (need the OSHPark board too), need the battery tray and the 510 connector on top

Payday today...might just order em

I have a busted Vamo but the internals are still good...almost tempted to make a Vamo box mod just 'cuase
I vape at very low power...don't really need to have a crazy high wattage rig...
Sounds cool, post pics for us please, on the way.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just finished a Transparent blue box build. When i was making it I was thinking it just feels cheap, cause it was so light. I kind of dragged my feet makin it cause of the low enthusiasm. I got it all together yesterday, and it's growing on me. It doesn't get cold to the hand during these cold days, I kind of like being able to see everything inside, Think I'll keep it. Build pics to come.

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Think he would need a double pole double throw switch for that.

Here is a DPDT switch setup to do a parallel or series battery setup ... Not sure if you can modify for what you want or not, but it's a start ...

mosfet16-seriesparallel-jpg.8854

Attachments

• mosfet16 SeriesParallel.jpg
    mosfet16 SeriesParallel.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 770

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice and lightweight. Plastic us underused around here. Gonna put a LED inside? ;)

Seriously, would you share the link for the box and sled? Much appreciated @Wabah58.

Box. http://my.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...F3FRCyffVInbX3iBLTPbkd73OYfKKsZ7YA%2bkdWOiA==

Sled. http://my.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=534-1048
Don't get the sled with P at the end, thats for button top. 1049 is the silver contact version usually in stock.

Im trying some new sleds, should be in monday, lot less modifying, and low profile.

http://snortinboar.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These are the ones @Wabah58 is getting next week. Maybe he'll post what he thinks. More space efficient design, but I'm wondering whether being 3D printed, not injection molded, they are sturdy enough.
They are sturdy, he did a hammer test on them. Im sending down a dna30 board to him tuesday, and he is going to make some files for new 3d printed stuff for that too :)

SnortHammer.PNG

Dutzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I seen the video Tony posted. I have actually had a couple phone conversations with him. Great guy.

WescottsVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They are sturdy, he did a hammer test on them. Im sending down a dna30 board to him tuesday, and he is going to make some files for new 3d printed stuff for that too :)

View attachment 8913
Have you had the chance to build with that new sled yet? I've been thinking about pinking one up to put together this smaller box I have laying around.

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Why not the new DNA40 ??? :p

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you had the chance to build with that new sled yet? I've been thinking about pinking one up to put together this smaller box I have laying around.
Yeah sorry for the late post. Those sleds are THE REAL DEAL! Very strong, and super small..I had to do a dual 26650 box, so I haven't started the G box, I'll throw up some pics of those new sleds. I really like them. The dual 18650 sled have beveled edge that rest perfect centered in the G box if you wish to center the sled, flip it over, to run all the way to the side. All his sleds have big wire channel in the back, to run wire through.

26650 3.jpg 26650 2.jpg Orange3.jpg Mess.jpg sb.jpg sb2.jpg

Last edited:

Resnik

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry been really busy here for a few. Still building though. Here is my latest. I'm up to 7 boxes so far. Gone through a lot of changes.

3FEBupB.jpg

femu3yj.jpg

LbZr1F1.jpg

oV8HYkO.jpg

l3NHHN8.jpg

Still waiting on the magnets to come in for this door. Ordered 200 on Thursday, hoping they will be here by Monday or Tuesday. Glad to see this thread is still going and the same faces are still in the game.

Resnik

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Some of the other stuff I have worked on. Now the one you see the internals is strait switched. I told the guy that I would do a mosfet, but he wanted switched, no mosfet. Told him if he has any issues I'll switch it out with a mosfet and new switch or when the 60 amp switches get here we will go that way. A lot of people want full want full mechanical and I always explain the risk what not. I'm also looking into a mechanical switch that works like a standard tube mod. some type of metal plunger to a solid contact on the inside. Talking to a machinist ATM about making some. All I need is a spring loaded metal button that I could contact a coiled wire/solid copper contact on the inside or something. Eh stuffs in the works.

xybOtuO.jpg

6c55gaB.jpg

rNs1tEk.jpg

XTnJKrp.jpg

o7y4fE2.jpg

KXzKSF9.jpg

imGJubr.jpg

cNEyren.jpg

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like you got a lot of time in those enclosures. Nice to see something different.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All the reports I've seen on a full mechanical switch (One that contacts the 510 direct) Like the Tank Crossing mod does, is they get hot after a week or so because of build up, on the contact point. Kind of sucks cause I like that type.

Resnik

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh I do like the looks of that switch. I worry though how great it's build is. I'll buy one and see I guess, but I don't want a loose switch that's going to end up shocking people.

I'm still pushing mosfets and use them in everything I build for myself. There is the one switch floating around like I've seen used in the big daddy box that's supposed to be 60 amps, but I think that's not the real limit of that switch. Yeah it can hold at 60 amps, but how does it do when breaking and making that contact constantly.

Todays box.

UxNrWFP.jpg

Fy8ReHQ.jpg

tOfxDhk.jpg

ASTlkWv.jpg

DsFNL4b.jpg

IvuNWJC.jpg

Sad thing is I don't even watch football. It was fun in high school, but eh on the pro stuff. People really want it though.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What you gettin for those engraved box builds @Resnik Probably get you a bunch of free battery sleds for one. Like the Cowboys box you posted where just the logo is engraved not the whole area around the symbols/text. Are those boxes squared off too?

Resnik

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No I dont square them. Just do a relief type of work where I draw out every thing then cut out everywhere I dont draw leaving a little boarder at the edges. Right now for a whole box with full art im getting 180+ (some of those graphics can take 6+ hours) and 155 with just the front cover. Cost on the boxes is from 40 to 50 then labor after that. I mostly try and keep it at 15 dollars and hour profit.

Resnik

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im sure we could work something out though. If you just wanted to send me a cover and have me do a logo what not.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im sure we could work something out though. If you just wanted to send me a cover and have me do a logo what not.
No I dont square them. Just do a relief type of work where I draw out every thing then cut out everywhere I dont draw leaving a little boarder at the edges. Right now for a whole box with full art im getting 180+ (some of those graphics can take 6+ hours) and 155 with just the front cover. Cost on the boxes is from 40 to 50 then labor after that. I mostly try and keep it at 15 dollars and hour profit.
Ok i figured there were a lot hours in those suckers. Thanks for the info @Resnik

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here is a DPDT switch setup to do a parallel or series battery setup ... Not sure if you can modify for what you want or not, but it's a start ...

mosfet16-seriesparallel-jpg.8854
What's the purpose/benefit of wiring like this? I make mos boxes I'm very intrigued

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The DPDT switch would allow you to go dual parallel one way and flip the switch the other way and it is series batteries... I would think you would need a fairly hefty one ...

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The DPDT switch would allow you to go dual parallel one way and flip the switch the other way and it is series batteries... I would think you would need a fairly hefty one ...
Wouldn't the mosfet take the load?

WescottsVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just ordered an SX-350 chip for my next build and I wanted to ask you guys if you had a link for a good thread, with a lot of good starter info. You guys helped immensley for my unregulated build, and I need a little more info for this regulated box.

WescottsVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the 60w version, I'm planning on using the small Hammond 1591asbk (100x50x21mm), a lipo battery pack, and a little tactile switch. Ive also been playing with the idea of getting this box, just for the ease of it.
http://vaposphere-usa.com/products/sx350-build-your-own-mod-kit-with-50-watt-chip

Edit: this is the chip that I ordered http://vaposphere-usa.com/collectio...board-by-yihiecigar-v2-0a-50-watts-with-wires
Thats a nice package enclosure there. Fasttech also added some enclosures for the SX builders. But only single battery.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/14...-enclosure-case-for-sx300-g-sensor-vw-apv-box

Myself I haven't built a sx300 just for the fact there are cheaper regulated devices out there for what I would have to charge for one. I am in a sx350 group though and that seems like a real easy chip to wire up.

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mosfet chip takes the load off the fire button switch, but wouldn't off the dpdt switch...
I found a dpdt switch capable of handling 30a but it is freaking huge! I may go ahead and give it a shot and try find a way to package this 1 1/2 inch cube

Resnik

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh my thats a wild box. Lol I LIKE it.

One of my last builds. Not a mosfet, but these switches seem to be able to handle a good load. Lol I did have one switch burn out a couple of weeks ago. After 2 months at 0.1 ohms it just stopped making contact. I replaced the guys switch and added in a mosfet. No issues since. So far I have been through about 20 different switches using them way over their rated amp load and only one issue. From what I have seen the E-Switch PV series can do well in sub ohm builds. I still tell people I would rather do mosfets for safety, and about half I make for people are mosfet switched.

LEcrrXl.jpg

AUNsOU1.jpg

t3rDMe2.jpg

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Only a little bit of necromancy here... I'm in the process of ordering parts to build my first box. A friend of mine told me I should put 2 MOSFETs in it, but he didn't know why, only that "it's what he was taught to do". I've read this entire thread from post 1 to 296 after searching Google for "why should I use two mosfets in a box mod" and I was disappointed on the results of my search relevancy, but learned a lot in the read, so not disappointed there. Anybody have any insight on the benefits of running two FETs in parallel would be? (i.e., stacking them, bending the legs down and joining them together and wiring as usual)

Btw, I've really enjoyed seeing the results of everybody else's boxes. I'm so excited :D

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only a little bit of necromancy here... I'm in the process of ordering parts to build my first box. A friend of mine told me I should put 2 MOSFETs in it, but he didn't know why, only that "it's what he was taught to do". I've read this entire thread from post 1 to 296 after searching Google for "why should I use two mosfets in a box mod" and I was disappointed on the results of my search relevancy, but learned a lot in the read, so not disappointed there. Anybody have any insight on the benefits of running two FETs in parallel would be? (i.e., stacking them, bending the legs down and joining them together and wiring as usual)

Btw, I've really enjoyed seeing the results of everybody else's boxes. I'm so excited :D

Really ONLY need dual mosfets in parallel if you are running .04 or under. (Which is unsafe IMO) Those low builds add heat to the mosfet increasing your chance to fail, if you don't run it on a heat sink which most don't. Dual mosfets will handle more current, and reduce the overall resistance of the mosfet circuit. I never run dual mosfets in my boxes. I use the extra mosfet for another box :)

VU Sponsors