Become a Patron!

Basic MOSFET wiring

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Only a little bit of necromancy here... I'm in the process of ordering parts to build my first box. A friend of mine told me I should put 2 MOSFETs in it, but he didn't know why, only that "it's what he was taught to do". I've read this entire thread from post 1 to 296 after searching Google for "why should I use two mosfets in a box mod" and I was disappointed on the results of my search relevancy, but learned a lot in the read, so not disappointed there. Anybody have any insight on the benefits of running two FETs in parallel would be? (i.e., stacking them, bending the legs down and joining them together and wiring as usual)

Btw, I've really enjoyed seeing the results of everybody else's boxes. I'm so excited :D
The benefit of stacked mosfets is more capacity reduced resistance and heat dispersion. I've never uses multiples but I'm considering doing to see the real difference

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey, squared Hammond G box, sanded, clear coated, bezeled .28 volt meter, evolve usb charge. That is all!

View attachment 11622
View attachment 11623

Ok, that makes sense. I actually am getting a heat sink for them, but I do plan on vaping in the 0.06 - 0.08Ω range.

2 more questions: links to your bezeled meter? And how do you wire up both the USB charge and the volt meter? Where do they go on, for instance, this wiring diagram?

http://vapingunderground.com/attachments/dual-parallel-n-channel-mosfet-box-mod-jpg.5577/

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
USB charging board + and - of battery sled to + and - of usb board, or any where that is always hot and the - of batteries.

Volt meter Can be hooked up a few ways I hook up - of Voltmeter to Drain of mosfet, (Middle pin) which is the 510 ground. + to the always hot side of the switch (or any where on + line from 510 through + of sled to switch). Voltmeter only works when button is pressed that way.

Voltmeter bezel is from Shapeways.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bapgood

There are a few other guys making them a lot cheaper, but I don't like them. The shapeways ones are 3d printed in high definition, they are smooth.

Last edited:

DJArt81

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whoo! Just read through this whole thread. I just got into this stuff but man am I one to go and try doing stuff myself. I bought my first box and was checking out my cousins box mod which he paid 150 for. After checking out his box I figured I would research it and try building my own, as it does not look so difficult. I have lots of work with vehicles and have done lots of custom stuff to my cars in the past. So this seemed like an easy task. I have found all the parts, ordered a custom sled from vape3d and am waiting until about a week out to order the rest of the stuff since the sled is on a 3 week backorder. By the end of January I plan to have my box built. Gonna get stickers made to decorate my box with my custom design and logo. The info in this thread is phenomenal! Thanks for everyone taking time to add to this thread and I will keep everyone posted on my build!

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoo! Just read through this whole thread. I just got into this stuff but man am I one to go and try doing stuff myself. I bought my first box and was checking out my cousins box mod which he paid 150 for. After checking out his box I figured I would research it and try building my own, as it does not look so difficult. I have lots of work with vehicles and have done lots of custom stuff to my cars in the past. So this seemed like an easy task. I have found all the parts, ordered a custom sled from vape3d and am waiting until about a week out to order the rest of the stuff since the sled is on a 3 week backorder. By the end of January I plan to have my box built. Gonna get stickers made to decorate my box with my custom design and logo. The info in this thread is phenomenal! Thanks for everyone taking time to add to this thread and I will keep everyone posted on my build!

If you don't want to wait the month that vape3d will take for a sled, Tony who runs snortin boar told me tonight he is all caught up and has his ridgid sleds ready to ship in stock. They are way better than the vape3d sleds. IMO

http://snortinboar.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dangit I just ordered 10 sleds , 5 dual and 5 single, to have on hand. I wish I would have known he was caught up. I have looked at his sight several times but he is always backlogged with a wait time.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dangit I just ordered 10 sleds , 5 dual and 5 single, to have on hand. I wish I would have known he was caught up. I have looked at his sight several times but he is always backlogged with a wait time.

@Oggy If you want join his FB page, PM him anytime he has a lot of shit he doesn't list on the site. He's gettin ready to give someone a Kanger sub ohm tank in a few orders, when they hitthe magic order #. Bezels, G boxes and B boxes, triple 26650's, just ask if there is something you want. He offers deals only for his FB users a lot too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SnortinBoar/

I'll approve you asap.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the invite. I dont check my FB alot but will be keeping an eye on it.

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
USB charging board + and - of battery sled to + and - of usb board, or any where that is always hot and the - of batteries.

Volt meter Can be hooked up a few ways I hook up - of Voltmeter to Drain of mosfet, (Middle pin) which is the 510 ground. + to the always hot side of the switch (or any where on + line from 510 through + of sled to switch). Voltmeter only works when button is pressed that way.

Voltmeter bezel is from Shapeways.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bapgood

There are a few other guys making them a lot cheaper, but I don't like them. The shapeways ones are 3d printed in high definition, they are smooth.

Took the liberty of editing an existing wiring diagram that was in this thread to include the voltmeter / Evolv board. Hope some peoples have a use for it

ioReJvw.jpg

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last thing, and I'm glad I thought of this. Don't I need to insulate the box? What would be best to use?

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Paint or carbon fiber seems to be popular. If you heat shrink your wires and are not grounding to the box you should be fine. It is builds where you are basically making your own contacts instead of using a sled that get tricky. At least that is my take on it.

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok I've read all this you guys are much help I do have a few question I'm building an unregualted mod with mosfet I'm new to this and I need help.... now I have a n channel fet it's a 5v is that to low?

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have everything wire like it should be but as soon as I put in the battery's or press switch my fet just heats up

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're running your batteries parallel, the volts should be at 3.7. A 5v FET is good. When you say you put in your batteries or press the switch it heats up... is the RDA firing? It sounds like something is grounding out.

I gave up on building a FET G box. Just not enough room to work everything. My sled was hogging all the room in there. Decided just to do a simple wire and buy a B box :p

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I'm in the process of building a okr-t10 chip'd mod I figured I'd do a fet box while I'm waiting on everything to arrive.. but before I put set up togeather I have it wired on my work table... but I will go back through I thought of this last night bc I melted the plastic on my spring loaded 510 connector. . Do u know anything about the okr-t10 chip ?

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok rewired with new 510 connector rda still won't fire and fet just get burning hot withing 40 seconds

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks @Cloudz4Days I have many different wiring diagrams but no matter how I wire my out cone is allways the same just a burning hot fet

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks @Cloudz4Days I have many different wiring diagrams but no matter how I wire my out cone is allways the same just a burning hot fet
Sounds like the mosfet might be a dud. There have been some going around that are broken from the manufacture. I use a 3034 n channel in my boxes. Did the you check that link out for the okr. That guy is really good and informative.

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah watching all his diy videos is what made me decide to build he is very good

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I've used two different 510s and I find some what of the problem the package was diff then the fet itself.. The fet is a lm7805 which I belive is a p channel fet and not really sure if it will work

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I've used two different 510s and I find some what of the problem the package was diff then the fet itself.. The fet is a lm7805 which I belive is a p channel fet and not really sure if it will work
I've seen people using p Chan fets but the wiring is slightly different

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I been trying to find a schematic but am not having much luck

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

It is not rocket science but paying atention to details is important,

LM7805
3-Terminal 1A Positive Voltage Regulator

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
5e9b8324768bc5a350742c3c7c0eb163.jpg
this is kinda what I come up with yall help me a little plz.. not really sure where my resistors would go

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That fet won't work. It's a 1a..... That's why it got hot instantly. I'm using a 3034 n channel. Here is the diagram I'm using.
c8cce598884e184b6095baf83a6ced37.jpg

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Digikey, mouser, and mammoth mostly

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Your source from batts should go to third pin on fet, 2nd pin should go to 510 housing, gate 1st pin to switch then 510 center pin

WescottsVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just finished a new box, it's not unregulated but I'm really happy with it. It's my first go at building a wood box, and using an sx350 chip. It's not perfect but its a good prototype. IMG_0839.JPG IMG_0854.jpeg IMG_0840.JPG

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting switch on that, is that a mechanical switch throwing to a voltage switch?

WescottsVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, the sx350 came with a little tactile switch pre-soldered on. So I came up with this little mechanical switch to activate the one that came on the board.

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all yalls help do have one more ? Is the mosfet supposed to get hot?

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What would cause that this is the wire diagram I used that worked
73fd8db106b70110ad48f7f0d1d7a57b.jpg

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess that is for a P channel mosfet. I use n channel mosfet and this schematic.

MOSFET unregulated mod.jpg

aubrycooper24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll try that one.. I've wired it like that b4 and it dont ever fire

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum annd also in building box mods. Yesterday i tried to make one of These unregulated MOSFET Box Mods. Actually my problem ist that when i press the fire Switch it seems that nothing happens. after some seconds the atomizer gebins to fire but it feels like firing wiht a week battery.

Have some of you had the same issues or does anyone know where they come from. The wiring is made exact as the Pictures from modmakers or the others here in this thread. i just have 3 differences where i´m not sure if they cause the issue.

I am using just one battery for the mod (Sony VCT4 / Vamped Cells)
I am using the Vapor Giant Atomizer with an 1,1 ohm microcoil
I am using this MOS-FET: IRFZ34N --> Vdss is 55V and Idrain is between 20 and 29 amps

Maybe you can help me cause i got no idea why it doesn´t work. When i try to connect only switch, battery and 510 without the MOSFET the atomizer works much better.

PLZ HELP!!!!!!!

Greetings from Austria.

IRFZ34N..png

VU Sponsors