Become a Patron!

Battery Question

Hi all!

So I've been vaping for about a year now, but essentially know nothing about vaping beyond what I currently have. I currently use an Aerotank V2, protank 3, and a mini protank 3. I got my vaping stuff from a buddy who gifted it to me when I was kicking my smoking habit. However, I've recently run into some issues with my Spinners: they keep breaking. I've been debating switching to a MOD or something similar, but funds are kind of an issue, so I was hoping that there would be a MOD or something similar that would fit my current tanks.

Anyone have any recommendations? Sorry if this is a stupid question, like I said, I know pretty much nothing.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi and Welcome- maybe an ELeaf Istick 30w or the Innokin iTaste vv/vw 3.0- both would work fine with your tanks. Are you in the US?
If you wanted to move up a bit- the ELeaf Pico kit comes with the Melo tank. You would need to buy 2 18650 batteries like the LG or Samsung. That kit is not too much money and you could still use your existing tanks too!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
i usually recommend something with a removable battery as a next step, mainly because YOU pick the battery and KNOW what you have in your box. Not all batteries are equal, and some, though a little more expensive, as leaps and bounds ahead as far as safety. For you, I recommend Samsung 25Rs. 20A, 2500Mah, High Drain. The main feature, is the internal chemistry heats slower than any other brand I know. Now, that said..

https://www.180smoke.ca/kanger-topbox-mini

Is a really nice step up kit. The 510 thread on the box should fit all your tanks and it comes with an adapter as well. The tank is a big step up from what you have, comes with 2? premade coils and a rebuildable RBA and 2 pre-wrapped coils. (you don't have to use them, but they are included)

The box has 75 watts so will actually power some drip atomizer builds. (well, you build TO your power level..lol) but that is for later. My point is.. it is simple yet versatile and a good buy.

You can charge using the included USB cable OR (recommended) purchase a 2 or 4 port charger later and an extra battery. (IOW.. you are never without a charged vape)

180smoke is only the site I found with information. I am not advertising for or against them.
If you aren't pressed for time.. you can try fasttech...

https://www.fasttech.com/product/4024102-authentic-kangertech-topbox-mini-starter-kit
with free shipping via china post. But buy your batteries from a vendor you know, such as a local shop. Avoid ebay batteries. Chances of getting fake or mislabeled batteries from ebay are to high.
The ONLY batteries you should use are Samsung, Sony, LG
Panosonic are also ok, just not one of our (vapers) top recommended cells.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Yeah, I'm in the U.S.!

It's good to know that about the batteries, thanks!

I was thinking of maybe getting the Eleaf Pico Dualbody (http://www.myvaporstore.com/Eleaf-iStick-Pico-Dual-p/elis-pda10.htm), but I'll have to look into the iTaste!
Actually I think the Pico Dual is an excellent choice! Again you should have at least 4 18650 batteries 2 can charge while using the other 2. It is not a good idea to use the on board charger and battery chargers are not that expensive like the nitecore.
I personally like my asModus Minikin V1.5 those are dual battery and will be purchasing the Minikin V2 next! I am really liking dual battery mods- great long battery life! Also some great tanks for beginners are the Tobecco Super tanks and the minis! These vape pretty nice, don't leak and use many different coils.
I only suggested the iTaste as a step above your spinners- but I think if you enjoy vaping to go for the dual battery mod, you will be much better in the long run.
https://kanvape.com/products/eleaf-...-starter-kit-with-melo-iii-3-mini-clearomizer
Use( Spring17) to take 17% off and there is free shipping! KanVape is great- fast shipping! I also like EightVape but they do not have the Pico Dual, that is where I get many of my supplies and I bought my Minikins from them! They have a (Reddit12 )code that will take 12% off your order!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The main feature, is the internal chemistry heats slower than any other brand I know.
The VTC5 actually runs a bit cooler than the 25R, but sadly there are a lot of counterfeit VTC5 batteries out there so I recommend the VTC5A instead, also due to the higher CDR (25 amps versus only 20 amps) as well as due to the smaller voltage sag. It means the VTC5A runs even cooler still so that there's less wear and tear going on inside the battery AND there's less risk of the battery starting to vent on you / more time for you to put down the mod (on a non flammable surface) and run away from the mod in the event that something goes wrong with the mod. So unless you can't get the VTC5A where you live, these days there is no real reason to still buy the 25R or 30Q. (That said, there exists another battery that also is better than the 25R / 30Q... it is the VTC6.)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The VTC5 actually runs a bit cooler than the 25R, but sadly there are a lot of counterfeit VTC5 batteries out there so I recommend the VTC5A instead, also due to the higher CDR (25 amps versus only 20 amps) as well as due to the smaller voltage sag. It means the VTC5A runs even cooler still so that there's less wear and tear going on inside the battery AND there's less risk of the battery starting to vent on you / more time for you to put down the mod (on a non flammable surface) and run away from the mod in the event that something goes wrong with the mod. So unless you can't get the VTC5A where you live, these days there is no real reason to still buy the 25R or 30Q. (That said, there exists another battery that also is better than the 25R / 30Q... it is the VTC6.)
I'll say you are probably right. I only recommend batteries that I have researched and used. I am also fairly lazy. I could just look up mooch's new spec sheets, but.. I repeat, I am lazy. LOL.

The amperes really only come into play when using mechanical mods, so I did not make any consideration of amperes in this reply. The Mod IC controller handles it. This is why you can build to resistances of 0.10 ohms on a regulated mod, but that may be unsafe on a mechanical mod. (new users can substitute IS unsafe for MAY BE unsafe)

Great info on the newer batteries though.

A good rule of thumb for regulated mod users is the higher the CDR (amp rating) the lower the MaH (run time). I won't go into all the technical nerdy stuff. All new users want to know is that it works if you push the button. LOL.

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Also would like to point out is if using external 18650 batteries , make sure you buy a battery case to keep them in! These are cheap, but many of the battery explosion stories could have been avoided if people didn't throw these batteries loose in their pockets or bags! These 18650 batteries with keys or coins= :bomb:
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Chubby-Gorilla-Battery-Case-p/cgub40.htm
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Battery-Travel-Case-p/yd-bt1c.htm

I have little battery condoms. One pink, one yellow. Colors are for a freshly charged battery and the partially discharged cell once i put the fresh cell into the mod. They cost about $1 or $2 each at the local shop.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have little battery condoms. One pink, one yellow. Colors are for a freshly charged battery and the partially discharged cell once i put the fresh cell into the mod. They cost about $1 or $2 each at the local shop.

Yes, I use those too when I just need a single battery to carry with me, mine are blue. Those are very nice too and don't take up as much room as the double hard plastic case! It is just so important that people keep these batteries in a proper case and for a $1.00 or $2.00 many of the battery explosions could have been avoided.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
+1 for the Pico and +1 for the battery condoms, perfect for carrying a spare battery, no sharp edges.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'll say you are probably right. I only recommend batteries that I have researched and used. I am also fairly lazy. I could just look up mooch's new spec sheets, but.. I repeat, I am lazy. LOL.

The amperes really only come into play when using mechanical mods, so I did not make any consideration of amperes in this reply. The Mod IC controller handles it. This is why you can build to resistances of 0.10 ohms on a regulated mod, but that may be unsafe on a mechanical mod. (new users can substitute IS unsafe for MAY BE unsafe)

Great info on the newer batteries though.

A good rule of thumb for regulated mod users is the higher the CDR (amp rating) the lower the MaH (run time). I won't go into all the technical nerdy stuff. All new users want to know is that it works if you push the button. LOL.
The mod IC controller handles it IF nothing goes wrong with the regulated mod. So yeah... it is still very reasonably well protected unless maybe if you are using a counterfeit regulated mod and or counterfeit batteries, etc., BUT... "very reasonably well protected" is no substitute for "perfectly protected". The main important reason why I recommend the VTC5A, however, is because the higher CDR (25 amps) and smaller voltage sag translates to a decline in operating temperature of the battery, which, in turn, could translate to not having to buy new batteries sooner, thereby potentially also saving you some money, and, in my own personal experience, choosing a battery that has less voltage sag can (under some specific circumstances, at least) slightly help to improve vaping performance on some (but probably not all) regulated mods. Further, some regulated mods the user manual factually states 25 amp batteries are a requirement (e.g., Wismec Reuleaux RX300). Further, even if you don't want a 25 amp battery, you're still probably going to be better off getting the VTC6 instead of the 25R because, despite that both the VTC6 and the 25R are 20 amps CDR, after all, the VTC6 is 3000 mAh so the current state of affairs is Sony Konion is king of the hill in both the 20 amps and the 25 amps 18650 battery department. :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The mod IC controller handles it IF nothing goes wrong with the regulated mod. So yeah... it is still very reasonably well protected unless maybe if you are using a counterfeit regulated mod and or counterfeit batteries, etc., BUT... "very reasonably well protected" is no substitute for "perfectly protected"
There is no such thing as perfectly protected. Always something that could go wrong. Mainly however, if phase 1 or phase 2 of the controller fails if does not fire.
I think the point we are both making is use top quality batteries, and the slower the battery heats up, in case of emergencies, the better. I have seen one.. ONLY one.. regulated mod vent. I think it was a user in ECF, but the batteries saved a major mishap.

Here is exactly how a regulated mod works, draws and distributes power.
http://blog.thevaporist.org/2015/12/29/regulated-mods/

Fortunately, we already know Samsung, Sony and LG all meet and exceed vapers requirements, hence why we use them. The rest is mostly just fine tuning.. a little extra safety or a little longer run time.

I'll have to check with Mooch's latest publications on the newer cells. For my regulated mod, I just go LGHG2 3000mah, since that is what my local shop carries and I have become comfortable enough in knowing what to do it the short circuit protection fails. The main thing with all these cells, is they heat up and vent to over 100C, but they don't instantly go POP in your pants pocket. LOL Trust me.. anything in my pocket next to my janglies comes out of my pocket LONNNNNNGGGGG before it hits 100C. 37C is the temp you wonder.... "Did I just pee myself?" so beyond that....

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vtc5a is the best battery for vaping hands down, especially in mech mods.
That being said if you're using regulated and you're not really reaching for the sky as far as how much power you will be using, you're better off with the vtc6.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Good vid.. So roughly speaking, vtc6 the 30q and hg2 are better for higher MaH in regulated mods... vs the 5a / 25r in mechanical mods. I think the video may be a bit advanced for new users, the only reason I knew what they were talking about is that I already did all the studies and comparisons already for the batteries I use. And of course I will have to do them all again for cells for my mech.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Vtc5a is the best battery for vaping hands down, especially in mech mods.
and I will still have to do my own comparison using Mooch's charts. Before I put a competition build on any battery, I need to KNOW 100% what that cell will do before I fire it. I won't go into it beyond that since we are still in a new vaper thread, and mechanicals are an advanced mod.

LMAO.. I just got reminded the hard way, that I am vaping a cloud build like it was an all day vape build.. 3 pulls and dry hit.. LOL. Using my regulated mod, but the build and wicking is a bit different than I do for all day vaping.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
and I will still have to do my own comparison using Mooch's charts. Before I put a competition build on any battery, I need to KNOW 100% what that cell will do before I fire it. I won't go into it beyond that since we are still in a new vaper thread, and mechanicals are an advanced mod.

LMAO.. I just got reminded the hard way, that I am vaping a cloud build like it was an all day vape build.. 3 pulls and dry hit.. LOL. Using my regulated mod, but the build and wicking is a bit different than I do for all day vaping.
I only vape mechs and have for a few years now. The little I do know about regulated mods is that they perform better when you put quality cells in them, cells that you would use for a mech. Some mods like the hexohm will even require a minimum cdr rating for cells used. Can't say for any other mod since like I said I don't really know.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good vid.. So roughly speaking, vtc6 the 30q and hg2 are better for higher MaH in regulated mods... vs the 5a / 25r in mechanical mods. I think the video may be a bit advanced for new users, the only reason I knew what they were talking about is that I already did all the studies and comparisons already for the batteries I use. And of course I will have to do them all again for cells for my mech.
Well if you watch the video at 30:22 Mooch said he was considering to remove the HG2 from his list of top recommended batteries so you can forget about the HG2. Further, the VTC5A is his favorite all-round battery (all-round = for both regulated AND mech, so...), and, if you read his post that I linked to above the video, you'll see he also wrote that the VTC6 actually is better than BOTH the 30Q AND the 25R, so...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I only vape mechs and have for a few years now. The little I do know about regulated mods is that they perform better when you put quality cells in them, cells that you would use for a mech. Some mods like the hexohm will even require a minimum cdr rating for cells used. Can't say for any other mod since like I said I don't really know.

I own a Purge Mods Maelstrom and a Purge Mods Serenity. And eighteen VTC5A batteries.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Yep, totally agree. I've never used a cheap battery, even in my regulated. I figured get in the habit of buying top grade, and stick with it. I mentioned before of one instance, I believe with an ECF member of a regulated mod venting. So although it is very very rare, it just shows it can happen. Now when you spent $80 and upwards for a mod, $2 more for a top grade battery isn't much. Not to mention what would happen if it popped in your pocket because you used a cheap knock off battery.

What I was saying earlier, for my mechanical mod, i will have to actually look up the date personally and compare say the 5A to similar batteries, (although I suspect the 5a will be the one I go with) since I only use my mech at very low resistance builds, that is on me to know first hand. That way, if anything does happen, it is on me.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well if you watch the video at 30:22 Mooch said he was considering to remove the HG2 from his list of top recommended batteries so you can forget about the HG2. Further, the VTC5A is his favorite all-round battery (all-round = for both regulated AND mech, so...), and, if you read his post that I linked to above the video, you'll see he also wrote that the VTC6 actually is better than BOTH the 30Q AND the 25R, so...
NO.. he said the vtc5a was better for mech mods, and the vtc6 and 30Q were better for regulated mods. AND at the CDR yes, the vtc5a is better than the 25r. However, since I am the one putting the mod up to my face, I am going to do my own comparison of the data. Mainly on how the 5a compare to the 25R as far as heating up goes. See the CDR isn't really the be all and end all, the actual vaping amps is what I need to find and compare. Again, this is for mechs and it is on me to know this info. First hand. He also stated the HG2 chemistry changed from 20A to 18A, so although it is still a good battery, it just doesn't make his best battery list since the vtc6 and 30q have passed the HG2s.

Don't get me wrong, I am fairly sure when I do my own comparisons, the 5a will come out ahead of the 25Rs, but.. I have to see and learn that new data.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
NO.. he said the vtc5a was better for mech mods, and the vtc6 and 30Q were better for regulated mods. AND at the CDR yes, the vtc5a is better than the 25r. However, since I am the one putting the mod up to my face, I am going to do my own comparison of the data. Mainly on how the 5a compare to the 25R as far as heating up goes. See the CDR isn't really the be all and end all, the actual vaping amps is what I need to find and compare. Again, this is for mechs and it is on me to know this info. First hand. He also stated the HG2 chemistry changed from 20A to 18A, so although it is still a good battery, it just doesn't make his best battery list since the vtc6 and 30q have passed the HG2s.

Don't get me wrong, I am fairly sure when I do my own comparisons, the 5a will come out ahead of the 25Rs, but.. I have to see and learn that new data.
Mooch did literally say the VTC5A is his new favorite all-round battery. He didn't say all-round battery for mech, so obviously you are wrong. The be all end all is CDR in conjunction with voltage sag (assuming we're not talking about mAh and number of recharge cycles before the battery finally craps out), and the heating up already is a logical part of what CDR factually means so not sure what you must be getting at here. Finally, not only have the VTC6 and 30Q passed the HG2, but the 25R has passed the HG2 as well.

VU Sponsors