Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They read the message on FB, but haven’t responded

I’ll press them some later if it’s true.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unfortunately it won't fit in a Billet Box. :headbang:

With the heavy plating on it it measures at least 0.02mm wider than any Billet Box I own. (I have a few.)
You do have to ask yourself how this happens. You don't make sure it fits in the device you're designing it for before releasing it for sale?

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You do have to ask yourself how this happens. You don't make sure it fits in the device you're designing it for before releasing it for sale?
The Boxxer has had nothing but issues. The first one leaked like a sieve. Blamed it on users at first, then admitted it was a QC issue, promised everyone a partial refund or V2 and Flow bridge. Took over a year to make good on that and in some cases never did.
V2 seemed fine, until now that is. Now they're biting the hand that feeds by blaming BBV.

TL;DR Odis sucks donkey dick.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Shocker

NEWS BREAK!

Odis Boxxer V2 Gold Goober Edition has issues not related to Boxxer V1/V2 issues from early 2019...

giphy.gif

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The first one leaked like a sieve.
I knew about the issues with the V1 which is why I never bought one. The design looked great, but when literally nobody could get it to stop leaking I passed.

I also knew there were some issues with the V2, but haven't paid that much attention because SXK never produced a clone to be honest.

But this? This is like designing an awesome set of mags for a car, but not making sure the lug patterns match.

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
eee4f5d00b1a39acd59523f5a8d9a036.png

Wish I had a 2017-20 to take measurements and post...

This mother fucker always passing the buck

I had a conversation on Messenger last night with JD Odis. Supposedly I am going to get a return label for the Gold Boxxer V2. Still waiting for the label.

I measured half a dozen Billet Boxes and the boro opening width is from 25.90mm to 26.02mm. My Gold Boxxer V2 measures 26.08mm. I measured a standard white boro at 25.84mm and a BBV black boro at 25.83mm.

From what I can see looking around it does appear that the Gold version is fitting in clones and other boro devices.

They also sent a Flow V2 that I am going to keep. It looks like they're doing that because the shipping is so late.

The serial number on the Gold Boxxer that I got was G-005. It's too bad that it doesn't fit and has to go back. I'm not sure what the result of this will be but I'll keep the group informed.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a conversation on Messenger last night with JD Odis. Supposedly I am going to get a return label for the Gold Boxxer V2. Still waiting for the label.

I measured half a dozen Billet Boxes and the boro opening width is from 25.90mm to 26.02mm. My Gold Boxxer V2 measures 26.08mm. I measured a standard white boro at 25.84mm and a BBV black boro at 25.83mm.

From what I can see looking around it does appear that the Gold version is fitting in clones and other boro devices.

They also sent a Flow V2 that I am going to keep. It looks like they're doing that because the shipping is so late.

The serial number on the Gold Boxxer that I got was G-005. It's too bad that it doesn't fit and has to go back. I'm not sure what the result of this will be but I'll keep the group informed.
This is our point in consensus, regardless of a supposed change in the BilletBox carrier for the Boro, the Boro is unchanged; modeling of a product to fit should mimic the dimensions of the Boro, if liberties were taken to fill some of the void, that is 100% the designer of the atomizer and not the maker of the mod and or original boro.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Sounds like typical Odis, down to the yet-to-arrive shipping label and inclusion of a Flow (which no one wants). I truly hope this gets resolved for you and will keep my fingers crossed.
On a lighter note, check this bad boy out from Nine5 Customs. FIYAAAAAH
e8214ebdf86a37ea48b53bfc6273ee98.jpg
11bef13ce02e3d636cc46bf1209b3b94.jpg

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just measured my factory white boro

W: 25.83 H: 39.05 D: 16.37

VapeSnail

W: 25.85 H: 38.99 D: 16.39

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like typical Odis, down to the yet-to-arrive shipping label and inclusion of a Flow (which no one wants). I truly hope this gets resolved for you and will keep my fingers crossed.

That's pretty slick looking

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's pretty slick looking
Right?! I don't want to know what I costs. He had the edges leveled off and cutout put in behind the battery compartment, then cerakoted it himself along with the button and boro. That's a lot of work put into one box!

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

One of the characteristics of the authentic Billet Box that I enjoy is the tactile feel of the unit while in the hand. The rounded curves all around with radius edges on the G10 panels. Even the curve of the panels. I lot of thought and care was put into what we have as the Billet Box today. I find myself running my fingers all over the Billet Box while I'm just holding it. One of the things I never like about the SXK copies was that the G10 panels were not as smooth and didn't have the rounded edges.

When I saw this picture a few days ago on Facebook the first thing that came into my mind when looking at the machining done on the stock case is that they ruined it. It will no longer have that great feel in the hand.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice!

Voltrove (those huge ass RTA guys) is making a AiO Boro atomizer with similar design queues from the Snail.

Deck is postless

Subtle changes in his prototypes he’s had come in this far, but he posted a nice video of it.

Not a ton of info in the video on reduction of air flow besides chimney reducers...

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The link I posted on my phone shows on my phone, but I dont see it on my computer... did it show for you guys?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
might be the whole thing about not being in the Voltrove group... or the privacy settings of the group

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the Facebook engineers may have figured this out, but you used to be able to right click on the video, copy the video url, paste into a different window, change the prefix to m. which would force the mobile version of the site to open on a PC after which you could just play the video which would load by itself into the browser then just save the page, thus saving the video.

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
About a month ago I received a modified Billet Box from Jeff Coutu of Mechanical Therapy. I had him Cerakote it and install a Dicodes BF60 chip in it.

For background I vape almost exclusively in temp control mode and MTL is a novelty for me. I have 4 Dicodes Dani Box 21700 that I've been using as well as the Dicodes in the Billet Box. I also have 4 DNA 250C mods, 3 DNA 75C mods, and 2 DNA 60 mods that are not Billet Boxes. And of course there is the plethora of Billet Boxes that I use 90% of time. All but one of them has the DNA 60 of course. All of the regulated mods that I have with chips other than DNA or Dicodes are being sold or given away. (This actually is something that I just noticed recently.)

In a nutshell the much vaunted reputation that Dicodes has for temperature control is false. At least with SS316L it is. (I have never tried any of the samples of NiFe30 that I have.) I either get a slow ramp-up or drastic overshoot on firing depending on how I set my power and I'm all too often noticing a snake effect in the power output. (Though it is not as bad as YIHI.) OTOH the Power Boost mode that Dicodes offers is a nice addition to power mode that doesn't require something like EScribe to operate. I find this to be the same in the 80W boards in the Dani Box 21700 and the BF60 installed in the Billet Box.

Interestingly the DNA 60 is becoming my favorite DNA board. With the theme that I've been using I've been able to set it to do all that I need without going back to EScribe. It makes for a nice 'set and go' experience. With the 75C and 250C I find them to be much more 'fiddley', but certainly more powerful both in actual power and in how much can be done to fine tune the outcome.

So the BF60 experience in the Billet Box has become more of a novelty than an epiphany. It will probably be relegated to EUC coils in future. Then again maybe I'll try it for MTL with 1.0 ohm coils. Hmmm. :idea:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In a nutshell the much vaunted reputation that Dicodes has for temperature control is false. At least with SS316L it is. (I have never tried any of the samples of NiFe30 that I have.) I either get a slow ramp-up or drastic overshoot on firing depending on how I set my power and I'm all too often noticing a snake effect in the power output.
I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I get great TC with a small single core 316L clapton in my Dani Mini.

I haven't had it that long and this is the only build I've ever put in it, but it's been a couple months and several rewickings in the Kayfun [Lite] 2019 I have on it. I didn't set it up for aggressive ramp up though and honestly I haven't noticed any of the rattlesnaking effect that you can get with YIHI devices. I had to twiddle with those to get rid of it. The SL-Class took the most twiddling.

I also have a bunch of DNA devices including 60s, 75Cs and 250Cs and I agree with you. Evolv has the best package though I've had to do some twiddling with those sometimes too.

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I get great TC with a small single core 316L clapton in my Dani Mini.

I haven't had it that long and this is the only build I've ever put in it, but it's been a couple months and several rewickings in the Kayfun [Lite] 2019 I have on it. I didn't set it up for aggressive ramp up though and honestly I haven't noticed any of the rattlesnaking effect that you can get with YIHI devices. I had to twiddle with those to get rid of it. The SL-Class took the most twiddling.

I also have a bunch of DNA devices including 60s, 75Cs and 250Cs and I agree with you. Evolv has the best package though I've had to do some twiddling with those sometimes too.
The snake effect that I referred to may not have been the best description. It is more of a wavering that I notice. Now I tried the 2.0mm center pin and the restricted chimney in the Vapeshell and it is much smoother. This runs at much lower wattage which is probably what helps. I have the wattage set at 15W for a 0.34Ω coil operating at 210℃.

I found this when searching around for info.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The snake effect that I referred to may not have been the best description. It is more of a wavering that I notice. Now I tried the 2.0mm center pin and the restricted chimney in the Vapeshell and it is much smoother. This runs at much lower wattage which is probably what helps. I have the wattage set at 15W for a 0.34Ω coil operating at 210℃.

I found this when searching around for info.
I read that whole thing and I saw this fella talking about this on ECF a couple months ago. There's alot going on there that deserves more attention than I can justly give it at the moment.

I will say this for now. In my experience, whatever that's worth, I've been vaping less than 3 years, I think it's a mistake to overshoot the power in TC mode, with any mod, and count on the board to do ALL the work of regulation. I see people recommending that all over the place.

I understand why that seems to make sense and it's not unreasonable to hope for it, but I haven't found any mod that works well, or at least as well as it could, when setup that way.

A major leap forward for me when trying to find my way through learning about TC, was when I tried just setting the power (wattage or joules) pretty much where I would have set it for a similar build in plain wattage mode. I found that with only minor power adjustments from there, and sometimes no adjustment at all, TC became a hundred times better.

Good TC mods became great and average TC mods became good. It seems to be asking too much of the power regulation technology to arm wrestle with the power like that. That';s how I always do it. For maybe about year and a half now.

Of course I am claiming no particular technical expertise on ANY of this. I'm just relaying experience.

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I read that whole thing and I saw this fella talking about this on ECF a couple months ago. There's alot going on there that deserves more attention than I can justly give it at the moment.

I will say this for now. In my experience, whatever that's worth, I've been vaping less than 3 years, I think it's a mistake to overshoot the power in TC mode, with any mod, and count on the board to do ALL the work of regulation. I see people recommending that all over the place.

I understand why that seems to make sense and it's not unreasonable to hope for it, but I haven't found any mod that works well, or at least as well as it could, when setup that way.

A major leap forward for me when trying to find my way through learning about TC, was when I tried just setting the power (wattage or joules) pretty much where I would have set it for a similar build in plain wattage mode. I found that with only minor power adjustments from there, and sometimes no adjustment at all, TC became a hundred times better.

Good TC mods became great and average TC mods became good. It seems to be asking too much of the power regulation technology to arm wrestle with the power like that. That';s how I always do it. For maybe about year and a half now.

Of course I am claiming no particular technical expertise on ANY of this. I'm just relaying experience.

I agree with you. It's easy to see the effects of setting excess power levels in Escribe when a unit is hooked up.

inganeer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I got my Christmas bonus and ordered me one of those clear SXK BB boxes. Are there any quirks with these?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I got my Christmas bonus and ordered me one of those clear SXK BB boxes. Are there any quirks with these?

I've read that they a prone to crack around the battery terminals and the 510 nut opening. They may have resolved that though after the first run.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any updates on how this is working for you? How do you have it setup?
As a matter of fact I just picked it up and was reminded...again, that I never updated you.

Here's the thing. It vapes great. About as good as any of the other good rbas for the BB. I'd put it at the same level as the Xeta and the Vapesnail, Vapeshell etc.

One really good thing is that I nailed the wicking on the first try with this one and NO leaking at all. Dry hits either.

It feeds the liquid from the top so that's something to be aware of. The SXK clone I have at least, has the chamber snug against the glass so it forces the liquid to the areas where it will feed from those 4 corner holes. Knowing SXK, it's probably the same with the authentic and imo is a good design decision.

For the casual Billet Box user who's happy with whatever already good rba they have, it's probably not a must have. For the BB hobbyist who likes to collect rbas and have a lot of options to the play with it's well worth getting.

In a nutshell.

inganeer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. I don't know if it makes much difference but I got the frosted version. Hind sight probably should have got the DNA black one but I really dislike that much black. I'm also on the fence as to hand feel. I figure if I hate it I can use the electronics in a pipe mod lol.

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
As a matter of fact I just picked it up and was reminded...again, that I never updated you.

Here's the thing. It vapes great. About as good as any of the other good rbas for the BB. I'd put it at the same level as the Xeta and the Vapesnail, Vapeshell etc.

One really good thing is that I nailed the wicking on the first try with this one and NO leaking at all. Dry hits either.

It feeds the liquid from the top so that's something to be aware of. The SXK clone I have at least, has the chamber snug against the glass so it forces the liquid to the areas where it will feed from those 4 corner holes. Knowing SXK, it's probably the same with the authentic and imo is a good design decision.

For the casual Billet Box user who's happy with whatever already good rba they have, it's probably not a must have. For the BB hobbyist who likes to collect rbas and have a lot of options to the play with it's well worth getting.

In a nutshell.

Have you tried it in TC? Which airflow insert do you choose to use? What pg/vg juice ratio? MTL or DL?

Sorry for the 3rd degree interrogation. It's just that I'm interested in how different setups work for people and different vaping styles.

I currently have 4 Aliens in rotation and a 5th as a spare. I've been running all of mine with the 3.5mm insert for DL and using 75/25 vg/pg juice. And I'm always in TC. One thing that I noticed is that the Alien is very finicky about cleanliness of the upper section including the offset insert for proper conductivity. Another oddity is that hybrid drip tips don't work well for conductivity.

An example is that Koncio hybrid tips consistently add 0.1 ohm to the resistance reading. I've even had leaking around the base of the tip. No doubt due to not having an o-ring and how it mates with the offset insert in the Alien. I've had other tips without o-rings like JMK also allow leaking. I don't notice this with the Snail or other attys.

OTOH the flavor of the Alien is impressive. For the way I utilize my Billet Boxes the Alien has better flavor than any other boro atty I have tried. In fact, when I don't use a Billet Box I generally us a Dvarw DL FL. For most of the juices that I vape the Alien beats even the Dvarw in flavor.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried it in TC? Which airflow insert do you choose to use? What pg/vg juice ratio? MTL or DL?
I have it in TC right now actually. This is the Evolv version and I vape all my boro devices in tight mtl so my experience may not be directly analogous to yours. 50/50 50mg
20201218_150955_cr.jpg

One thing I found with the Supbox that applies across the board. is that the connection between the key or the hybrid one piece drip tip or whatever you're using isn't as directly solid as it is with the screw in type in the Billet Box.

What I have discovered that pretty much completely alleviates this is to screw the top piece that holds the drip tip all the way into the number 8 shaped plate first, tighten it up, and then hold the whole mod from the bottom and forcing the drip tip and that whole side of the assembly down, bottomed out while I screw the battery cap on tight.

You can feel the spring in the 510 as you do this. It creates slack in the battery cap side and when you get the battery cap tight, then let go of the drip tip if you have it in there or the top of the assembly if you don't. Simple, easy and creates a much better connection that stays in my experience

At first I was just tightening down the battery cap and letting it press down the other end of the number 8 shaped plate as it went. The way I've been describing is 100 times better. All win. No downside.

I wouldn't be shocked if that took care of alot of your connection issues.

Last edited:

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Some good stuff here for any of you Canadians

NVM, the mums panels and different color inners have already sold, not a lot left that's interesting, lol

Last edited:

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some good stuff here for any of you Canadians

For sure, but he won't ship outside of Canada.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear you! I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to explain a new Dicodes SBS from that site
Oh man, super jealous! That's such a sexy mod. I could never figure out why they had all that extra space with the Dani Mini. Easily looked like it could be a dual 18650. Seemed like a perfect candidate for a SBS as well and glad they figured it out.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh man, super jealous! That's such a sexy mod. I could never figure out why they had all that extra space with the Dani Mini. Easily looked like it could be a dual 18650. Seemed like a perfect candidate for a SBS as well and glad they figured it out.

Yeah, I agree 100%. I have a Dicodes 21700 and absolutely love it, there's just something about that German craftsmanship, my GT4 is a permanent fixture on that one.

With the SBS I can get all day out of a 3000mah 18650, 22mm atty, small build at 15 to 18 watts.

It still feels like it weighs the same as a Dani though, it's not a light mod but I prefer that anyway.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not a BB, but I first saw this mod here in the BB thread from someone's post. I liked it so much I had to get a second

Edit: It was @~Don~ that originally posted pics of the prototype for this one that got me interested.
20201230_131004.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors