Become a Patron!

CoilART Mage Sub Ohm Tank review

CapVanillaCustard

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nEQEUGE.jpg

CoilART Mage Sub Ohm Tank Review

Hello everyone!

I've been using the CoilART Mage Sub Ohm Tank for about a month, on and off. It was sent to me by CoilART to review.

It's a 24mm sub ohm tank that takes 810 drip tips. It's pretty short at just 34.5mm tall without the drip tip. It's compatible with Big Baby Beast coils if you have those lying around. It comes in 6 different colors and they're all very pretty. I have the black one with red accents.

It looks very similar to the Mage RTA. In fact with the bubble glass on it's very hard to tell which is which. That's a good thing because these two are some of the best looking tanks in the market IMO.

4o1H9xw.jpg

The Tank

The packaging is minimal but pretty, like any other CoilART product. Included in the packaging there is the tank itself, a frosted acrylic bubble tank, one mesh coil, one wire coil, one spare o-ring and the manual.

The mesh coil is 0.2 ohms and is recommended to use at 60-80 watts. The wire coil is made with parallel round wire. It measures 0.4 ohms and is recommended to use at 40 - 50 watts. Coil material is not specified. The tank is compatible with Big Baby Beast coils although I didn't get to test that.

The standard tank holds 4ml and the bubble tank holds 5.5ml. That's very impressive as this is a rather short tank. The bubble tank is very similar to the one with Mage RTA V2. I haven't seen a better looking bubble tank, and since it's made of acrylic you don't have to worry about accidentally breaking it.

This tank doesn't leak, even when you leave it sideways overnight. Of course like any tank you should close the airflow when filling.

Just like the Mage RTA V2 you fill by unscrewing the top cap. The knurling is excellent and provides a good grip. I prefer this style of filling over a sliding cap, no chance of accidentally opening the fill port in your pocket

Aesthetically this is the best looking sub ohm tank in the market IMO. Practical design that's also very pleasing to the eye.

2joEi63.jpg

Photos - Album

Flavor and Draw

The draw is loose and airy with the airflow fully open. With it fully closed the tank is sealed air tight and as a result you can tighten up the draw as much as you like.

The included mesh coil produces okay flavor at the recommended wattage. Not as good as the single mesh coil inside a Fireluke Mesh Pro. I used my testing ADV that is 85VG and it wicked without any trouble. Unfortunately the coil popped every time I fired it after not using it for a few minutes. It's a big loud pop that shoots a big drop of liquid up. I always had to fire it for a second or two before bringing it to my face. I got through about 5 fills before I gave up on it so I'm not sure how long it lasts.

The round wire coil doesn't pop but the flavor is very muted. No problem wicking here either. I got through about 3 fills before I gave up on this too. It was just too bland, especially compared to the Freemax Mesh Pro tank I was using at the same time.

I wish CoilART had gone with dual coils. I also wish they used claptons instead of parallel round wires. I think the cotton needs to be packed tighter in the mesh coil to eliminate the pop. The Mesh Pro coils seems to have done this and there's zero pop there.

All in all I'm pretty disappointed with the stock coils. They really disservice this absolutely gorgeous tank. Hopefully CoilART will release more types of coils for it soon.

If you like Big Baby Beast coils, and/or thinking about picking up a tank to use them with I would absolutely recommend this one. It looks far better than Smok's tanks and I cannot see how the coils would perform worse here.

S2s0Huq.jpg

Positives

It's the best looking Subtank in the market

I know it's a subjective call, but I really don't think there's a subtank out there that looks better. The knurling looks amazing and works very well too. The bubble tank is also the best I've seen yet.

Compatible with Big Baby Beast coils

The stock coils are disappointing but you won't be stuck with them. It also means if CoilART stops making coils for this you'll still be able to buy compatible coils. If you like BBB coils by all means pick this one up.

Bubble tank

I haven't seen a better looking bubble tank. It's acrylic so it won't crack easily like glass. The frosted finish is beautiful. Very similar to the Mage RTA v2​

Negatives

Stock coils are not very good

As described above the stock coils are rather disappointing. This is my only complaint with this tank, but thankfully you can use Big Baby Beast compatible coils.​

~TLDR & Conclusion

It's a beautiful tank. It holds a lot of juice for it's size. It's designed and built very well. I don't think you're gonna find a better looking or better functioning tank.

Unfortunately the stock coils are not very good but thankfully it supports Big Baby Beast compatible coils. If you like those then by all means give this tank a shot, otherwise it might be better to wait until CoilART releases more variety of coils.

I'm on Instagram now as well. I post daily photos of my stuff and gear that are in the review queue. I'd appreciate it if you guys checked it out!

wxnmxjH.jpg

VU Sponsors