Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Doing fine here this morn, it's like 26F with 90% humidity, so freezing fog.
Supposed to get 3-5" of snow around Wed afternoon though, we already have a few on the ground.

Reckon I'll try to get out of the Apt some today to do errands and get supplies. before the storm hits. Grocery store if I can, dollar tree, petco, etc. I went to Trader Joe's and got a bunch of stuff for the weekend, but they are too expensive for many simple things like potatoes or TP.

I also have some 25% off coupons for the Thrift store that expire on the 31st, so may try to get over there too. Cheaper to buy clothes than to wash them at the one crackhead/bedbug infested laundromat within miles of me....sad eh? I do hand-wash some smaller things like undies/thermal layer stuff/socks in the sink, but bigger things would never dry in this cold and humidity.

No word from the Energy Assitance folks or any new deposit into the Utility's account yet. The SNAP offices are closed due to COVID and they are all working from home and using voice mails. Left them a message, but not expecting much there. Got an e-bill for over $100 for Dec. which is around $20 more than last month. But could've been a lot worse...with COLA adjustment, I should get around $10-15 more cash ongoing, so every bit helps. Avista will work with me on payments too, they know I'll get the SNAP funds in sometime and I've been a good customer for years.

avista_12-2020.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't had coffee or breakfast yet. This is killing me! :) Looks SO yummy.

Here's mine this morning...photo-bombed by Milly of course. ;)

RTTsmtzl.jpg

Yeah, that brisket looks bomb AF.

I have been enjoying some uncured Pastrami I'd splurged on, with some Arugula and Balsamic vinegar on 10-grain bread for sammies. Mmmm. Think I'll make a salad later with it, some Persian cukes, and cheeses. :)

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning! Off to the doctor's office this morning, see what he has to say. Hubby only slept about 4 hours thanks to Jessie. She wanted him up with her, he's not happy. He can take a nap later, though. See you all later.
Stay safe and healthy :hug:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning! Off to the doctor's office this morning, see what he has to say. Hubby only slept about 4 hours thanks to Jessie. She wanted him up with her, he's not happy. He can take a nap later, though. See you all later.
Sounds like normal over here..who needs an alarm when I got a Milly?

Got her a new toy from the Dollar store to destroy, it is actually a doggy toy as they tend to live longer.
Just rub with catnip and stand back. :D

The sniffing before the attack....?
DRWPzr7.jpg

She grabbed it, did the deathroll/kicking feets thing, then tried ripping it in half with her teeth. It won this round though. Hehehe.

Some good games on soon here, I'm happy....

Screenshot from 2020-12-29 12-29-12.png

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
In the spirit of cats doing evil things

woke up to our kitten claiming her place as queen of the castle. This was the day after Christmas.
40D59F95-B23D-476E-8628-D29492DF37BA.jpegEC35BF16-42C4-4926-9B22-926F2E767B83.jpeg

20 minutes later the tree was down
3E204457-AFC9-414D-9ACF-2EA6CF6EB927.jpeg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Gorgeous cat! And wow....

I used to have my gramma's little tabletop tree out for Xmas-time, but now with Milly...no chance...LOL.
Thank you, and I understand.
We’ve had our big cat for about 5 years now and he never bothered the tree. Now that we have this little girl, I’m thinking next year will be just a rosemary bush for a Christmas tree.

you definitely don’t want to leave anything sentimental out.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you, and I understand.
We’ve had our big cat for about 5 years now and he never bothered the tree. Now that we have this little girl, I’m thinking next year will be just a rosemary bush for a Christmas tree.

you definitely don’t want to leave anything sentimental out.
Even though our cats are older, we still can't put ornaments on the lower branches of our tree. They would be toast otherwise. Fortunately neither one climbs up the tree. They do like to sleep under it though.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty good morning today, it's snowing and I like snow. :)

Got a message back from the SNAP folks, they say I don't need to do anything more at this time and that because of the onslaught of cases and all their staff working from home now, it'd be around 4-8 weeks from when I had my Appointment. So, I SHOULD be getting it in before too long, just hope it comes sooner rather than later. Good news is, I should get either that or the Stim money in around the same time frame in Jan. I can pay the bill, just won't have anything left after if they don't come in.

I also made up another 400ml batch of my 15mg nic base premix, seems I make one of those about twice a year. Had to open another 250ml of 100mg/L Nic from my 2016 stash for it. ;)

Then, made an apropos juice for the season that I hadn't made since 2018: FW Candycane with a dab of Creme Brule for fun. Should be the LAST juice I make in this damned year of 2020.

N4oJYZp.jpg

Seemed a thing to do. ⛄
candy_cane-1740.gif

Might take a walk in the snow today, as long as it ain't ice and/or slush, it's fun. Safer than driving in this crazy city...nobody seems to know how to drive in Winter anymore.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, saw the foot doc today. Good news, no more boot. Still need a rigid shoe insert for a while though. Got a note for today's visit only. The doc let a "student" handle the note. Wife is going to get in touch via my chart to get me a note covering from mid Oct to mid Jan, out w/ broken foot.

Me & her dad agree our local hospital is a bad first aid station, only. It's no wonder they want me to work there. Told the foot doc's student I could read the bp meter if it were a dial. He looked dumbfounded but the doctor agreed. Told his student I picked that up running as an EMT. We could see the needle jump on a dial. Now they use all digital.

Got home from getting my shot, foot doc. Wife had more seeming good news. The kidney doc appt will be via a phone visit. So, maybe the kidney issue isn't as bad as I've worried it to be. Told her if it were bad, I'd be seen not called. I'm hoping that's the case too.

So now having some coffee. That note, ... *chuckles & smh*

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Is that for real!?
Only ever had 1 cat and it wouldn't come in the house but loved coming hunting when we'd get rabbits or a roo for the dogs years ago.
If that's for real it's a classic! ?
Yes that is for real... we got two kittens from the same litter a few months back. That’s just her way of proving she’s the alpha... little bitch was chewing on my the cables for my surround sound yesterday.
Her days are becoming numbered.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pics from my winterland adventure yesterday. We ended up having a record 7.5" or so of snow, in addition to the snow we already had. Walking was pretty ridiculous as most sidewalks weren't shoveled.

Me all bundled up...felt like the Tinman. But, I stayed warm and dry. Big props to my thermal layers and Dickies Original 874 pants...snow didn't stick to 'm at all...pretty much a ballistic cloth. :)

Dang glasses were impossible to keep clear though, despite an anti-fog polish I gave them. Snow was blowing diagonally.

MKylDy2l.jpg

The parking lot at the grocery store. Doesn't look like much was super slippery stuff.
That's in front, the side areas were like 6" of loose dry snow with drifts of more. Couldn't see where the sidewalks were and couldn't reach the stoplight buttons as was too drifted in snow.

0mimaQcl.jpg

A shot out of the bus window looking up towards the hills, even the bus driver was taking photos. :D

lf99kDwl.jpg

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ok everyone. Im clocking out right now for 2020. About 45 mins to go for us here.
Id like or love to say 2021 will be better...but....I fear not for so many.
Some here have lost loved ones and are not having a happy new year...im sorry for you guys....I think if we are all honest it's not really a happy new year.
But. I do wish everyone a safe, healthy 2021. I hope and wish you all here, and your families, stay safe, stay well.
To the others who have suffered such sad losses. Im sure this is extended from everyone else....we think of you...and in our own way, though never the same, but as friends we also feel for your loss of your loved ones and it has saddened us all to hear.
So to all you great Vapeundergrounders...please...please...please stay safe and well.
:) ?
happy-new-year-2020-gif-fireworks.gif

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Pics from my winterland adventure yesterday. We eneded up having a record 7.5" or so of snow, in addition to the snow we already had. Walking was pretty ridiculous as most sidewalks weren't shoveled.

Me all bundled up...felt like the Tinman. But, I stayed warm.
MKylDy2l.jpg

The parking lot at the grocery store..
That's in front, the side areas were like 6" of loose snow with drifts of more.
0mimaQcl.jpg

A shot out of the bus window looking up towards the hills, even the bus driver was taking photos. :D
lf99kDwl.jpg

After Great Lakes in 1996, oh I hate the cold, the snow. At the time I didn't care. I took shifts outside shoveling for mates. Got myself in some mild admin trouble. "Badge, you son of a masrine! You're only supposed to be out thirty minutes a day in this stuff. How long you been here?"

"Um, erm ... eight hours, sir."

"$!@&^! And you get your a** back in the f**king compartment right the f**k now! Do it or you are WRRRRRoNNNNG!"

*chuckles* Like I said I didn't care if was -60 F. I was helping mates that needed to go to other work details, training. I didn't have anything on tap. My A school would have been up near you in *cough* Keyport *cough*. I was scheduled for damage control/ordnance working. At least that was the front side read in. The rest well, .. damn I'm so forgetful.

I have an affinity for the Gremlin movies. :D :) . They're better than the Crits movies I think. Besides Mogwai actually do exist and they play Hell with Japanese fishermen. Sea Monkeys exists as well but that's not really the same kind of existing.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah yes Icestorm '96...that was a nightmare. Trees and lines down everywhere with some neighborhoods unpassable at all, roofs collapsing, transformers popping like fireworks and starting fires, etc. My parents, g/f, and gramms all lost power for nearly two weeks...and that was in the city.

Keyport is on the peninsula though, the other side of the state. Most folks forget there is an Eastern WA state. Only recently did the MSM's morning weather reports even show my little city of nearly 500K population. ;)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok everyone. Im clocking out right now for 2020. About 45 mins to go for us here.
Id like or love to say 2021 will be better...but....I fear not for so many.
Some here have lost loved ones and are not having a happy new year...im sorry for you guys....I think if we are all honest it's not really a happy new year.
But. I do wish everyone a safe, healthy 2021. I hope and wish you all here, and your families, stay safe, stay well.
To the others who have suffered such sad losses. Im sure this is extended from everyone else....we think of you...and in our own way, though never the same, but as friends we also feel for your loss of your loved ones and it has saddened us all to hear.
So to all you great Vapeundergrounders...please...please...please stay safe and well.
:) ?
View attachment 175584

So hey, how is the Future? :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, other than stocking up on groceries before the Big Football Weekend, I needed a mid-weight and weatherproof jacket/coat for this INW weather. I have lots of coats and jackets, but few that I could wear in weather like this where it can snow in morning, rain/snow after and change on a dime. Able to work with layers is a must.

My old and much used ski-type jacket had bit the dust finally...pocket kinda disintegrated.... :(

VAg8Hp3l.jpg

I found this at the Thrift store. :)

DDQyPnpl.jpg

It fit, is a nice color, light but weatherproof, and has tons of pockets. $8.99 and then 25% off that. SOLD!

I was a in a hurry to be sure not to miss my bus, so didn't look TOO closely other than a "stuff works/no holes/etc". It is missing the snap-on hood and inner lining, but I have those from other jackets.

Only after closer exam later did I realize something: it's a $400+ The North Face® designed LEO jacket. Literally, Teflon coated Cordura nylon.. ?‍♂️?

Yikes!! Oh well. It's great quality and what I'd wanted. I just hope people don't get the wrong idea...the police are jumpy enough as-is around here.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Keyport is on the peninsula though, the other side of the state. Most folks forget there is an Eastern WA state.

No I got there's Eastern, WA. I was referring to the weather at Lake Michigan in '96. Seems WA and IL shared that storm. I was there, in IL for boot in '96.

Met a few of the N.U.C teams, Rangers and otherwise as they got staged there. There was threats of Congress closing the school in CA. So, green faces come and got cold weather survival training.

Had to go a week at 2 AM to enjoy the "Jane Fonda" workouts they did. I didn't write my name according to Navy regs proper in my BJM. So my disciplinary action was that, rough week of PT. I for sure learned when they ask for block letters they mean print, not cursive.

Looking back, realize I was somewhat secretly being led to a path. I had tried a two week crash course of something, told the chief instructing us it wasn't for mne. Ha, my CC who was a bubble head had other ideas it seems. He was going to make me a bubble head too, weather I wanted it or not. *chuckles* Damn salty dog.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The family is all healthy. Gov. extended our curfew yesterday for another 3 weeks... guess noone in Ohio will be celebrating New Years. :(

4452154.jpg

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nothing going on here today, We're not going anywhere, and not staying up for any celebrating. I had one of those nights that I just could not go to sleep. Finally got a few hours but it sure messed me up. Oh well, no schedule here. Jessie loved it! Be careful tonite.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of that 'sneeze and the weather changed' weather around here...

Snap1216.jpg

I'm glad I did the store run when I did. Nothing out now but half-frozen slush and snow about 5-6" deep with big puddles as well. NOT my idea of a good walk. ?

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The family is all healthy. Gov. extended our curfew yesterday for another 3 weeks... guess noone in Ohio will be celebrating New Years. :(
I'm so glad you're family is well. It stinks that curfew has been extended but it's to be safe. What time is it?
Even with the curfew the noob partiers will no doubt try to get by with it. I hope all stays well by you. ?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Happy New Year, VU family.
Ditto!

Well, it's 2021 here....so much illegal fireworks going off...LOL...Ackkk.
Milly and I wish ya all a great Eve and GL with this next year...we're gonna need it. ;)

Served up with a Vodka Martini 'cuz even though I'm not out with peeps, and no shirt and tie this year, it's a tradition.

bhapXva.jpg

Happy New Year Folks !!
t3430.gif

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Happy New Year!!!
It was fairly quiet around here last night, pleasantly surprised. It's cold but the sun is out. Jessie is learning(?) to not wake Hubby up at 3am, lol. I got to say I told you so. Now he doesn't give her treats until he gets up for the day! You would think he'd have known that....

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Happy New Year!!!
It was fairly quiet around here last night, pleasantly surprised. It's cold but the sun is out. Jessie is learning(?) to not wake Hubby up at 3am, lol. I got to say I told you so. Now he doesn't give her treats until he gets up for the day! You would think he'd have known that....
Ya, I was going to sleep through it all, but Milly had other plans for me. :rolleyes:
Dang banned fireworks going off in the neighborhood plus the official ones going off farther away. She wasn't scared, more like WTH and racing from window to window looking out. So, we ended up staying up for NYs. Ack....

I set an alarm for 8AM to be ready for a big football day, but she trampled the crap outa me at 5:40AM. :oops:

But, it worked out well. I saw a great deal on something I'd wanted thx to @Just Frank and scored two Griffin 25 RTAs for under $15 shipped. :D

And, it is gonna be a massive NCAAF day:

nyd-football.jpg

So far, 2021 is going well. :cool:

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is gonna be goood....two games tonight to decide the two teams who'll play in the NCAAF Finals.

Thus far...the Rose Bowl is a fargin' fun game. 'Bama scores first blood. Yes, they made the extra point.

Screenshot from 2021-01-01 13-30-39.jpg

Sooo many dumbazz mask-less peeps gonna get 0wn3d.......o_O

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PS: I wore that new jacket today to do a run to the MX store...it's amazing. I only wore a long-sleeved thermal shirt, and a light wool 'jacket' under it and I was toasty. Utterly comfy, adjustable, and a full range of motion unlike that suit of armor of a parka I wore the other day. And, perhaps the best part...Milly won't even touch it. She is a Chewer and Ripper of Buttons, Zippers, and all thing String Pull. But she left it alone without a single paw on it.

It's Teflon-coated Cordura nylon, she literally can't kill it.:)

All the shit I usually load my pockets with just disappeared into that jacket too.

I did wear the hat on the left though, just for safety and fun...hehe. No confusing me with a LEO with THAT hat. I got that at the thrift store too, for like a buck. Authentic NFL gear. ;-)

IMG_20210101_124029.jpg

Last edited:

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm so glad you're family is well. It stinks that curfew has been extended but it's to be safe. What time is it?
Even with the curfew the noob partiers will no doubt try to get by with it. I hope all stays well by you. ?
Our curfew is 10pm - 5am

VU Sponsors