Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Mashed potato

Happy mans

a112b5fb5ed53c29b13738cf8c51a7ba.jpg
I feed my fishing worms Ninja'd polenta, oats and chick peas. But im thinking your birds are more spoilt than my Euro Night Crawlers :giggle:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Man, these VitC capsules I'd bought are just too huge to down normally....I'd choke on 'em. :eek:

My daily routine, minus the D3 drops.

P1040848.JPG

But, they open easily and I can just mix it into a glass of water with Agave syrup and a splash of Mango soda. Quite tasty actually.

It's basically Ascorbic Acid w/ Rose Hips. So, probably less of an acid hit (teehee) on my gut this way too. :)

The half of a 500mg antacid tab is just for the added dietary calcium, from the Dollar Store.
Same calcium carbonate, but $1/bottle instead of $8 for the actual supplement at Rite Aid. Buggers...

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Man, these VitC capsules I'd bought are just too huge to down normally....I'd choke on 'em. :eek:

My daily routine, minus the D3 drops.

View attachment 177168

But, they open easily and I can just mix it into a glass of water with Agave syrup and a splash of Mango soda. Quite tasty actually.

It's basically Ascorbic Acid w/ Rose Hips. So, probably less of an acid hit (teehee) on my gut this way too. :)

The half of a 500mg antacid tab is just for the added dietary calcium, from the Dollar Store.
Same calcium carbonate, but $1/bottle instead of $8 for the actual supplement at Rite Aid. Buggers...
That is big!
You sure it didnt say "suppository" on the pack. :confused:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hm. Dolphin dong? If so, kinky. Not sure I would try it. My poor flat butt couldn't take it. Bet two girls and a cup could though. Hm, no damn it I won't delete this humor. Go f**k yourself you can't laugh. Ha, censored for kidlings but not deleting the humor

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Went fishing today. Got there and it started to lightly rain. Persisted for an hour but it got heavier so left. Saw quite a few jumping there, few hits on the lures, caught a medium size reddy and let it go. Half way home and the road was bone dry.
Think it was only raining where I went fishing. :giggle:
20210128_121150(1).jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Went fishing today. Got there and it started to lightly rain. Persisted for an hour but it got heavier so left. Saw quite a few jumping there, few hits on the lures, caught a medium size reddy and let it go. Half way home and the road was bone dry.
Think it was only raining where I went fishing. :giggle:
View attachment 177200
Fish love the rain, best time to fish IMO. ;)
You'd love the Rainbow Trout around this region...many, large, and tasty AF.

There are about 1000 lakes within 200 mi of here. Several just in a 30min jaunt. We have it all.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ugh. Got a call out that for 6 AM. It was for the big high school. Call came at 5:30. My "gears" were not engaged & I was just a little stiff. I took a personal day.

Yes, I likely could have went on and done alright. I been "running" roughly 3 and a half days though. Still got soreness in right foot, tendons, ligaments. Well, it's a personal day for a reason. I just was not "there" this morning.

Know when full time comes I cannot choose. Also know full time does have vacation time, sick days and so on. This is the only personal day I have called off. Yes, was off due to injury but it seems the bosses are accepting of that and not counting against me, it was an accident.

Probably take any job tomorrow. I just needed a pause to recompose today. Psst, not telling them I'm playing hookie with Shrek to watch wasslin'. ;) :) No that is not why actually, as I said just needed a pause.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning.
Not much here today, staying inside with the heat. Jessie finally braved the cold, is out on the deck. I did get the walmart order ready & placed for pick up. So, just chores for me, reading and forums.
Stay safe and healthy :hug:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Four inches of snow on the ground here this morning, big wet flakes fell during the night, coated the trees so the limbs were all droopy. It's beautiful, but by about 9:15 am the power was off. Took hubbs an hour and a half to get our temperamental generator running, so I've been freezing my ass off this morning. It's going now, though, and there's a pot of bean soup with carrots and country ham simmering on the stove. I'll make cornbread to go with it later.

I'm supposed to get my W-2 in the mail today, so I guess tonight we'll be messing with Turbo Tax to see what the news is. My circumstances have changed this year with half the year having no medical insurance premiums being deducted pre-tax, so my income will go up. The taxes they are taking out went up, too, and since the premiums are less than 7.5% of our AGI, we can't use them as a deduction. That really sucks.

I swear, if I end up owing a bunch of taxes, I just might retire. I'm not going to keep working just to hand my paycheck over to the damn government.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Four inches of snow on the ground here this morning, big wet flakes fell during the night, coated the trees so the limbs were all droopy.
We about two inches here. That was also not why I took a personal day.

Her dad yesterday ran a red light. We nearly t-boned the oncoming car. That wasn't my reasoning either. Though she did say her dad didn't need to be out in it. Not sure she knows of this light incident. He did it once before though and totaled her lovely blazer (solid older model Ford big truck with lift kit, yep country boy married country girl).

To her credit she forgave him. He was honestly just a bit distracted & obviously shook up having had the wreck. He also put up half what her insurance did to help her get a "new" vehicle.

Yes, it was pretty to see the snow. :) I didn't get out in it today though. Looked at some stuff on t.v. and just kind of sat/lay around.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
After months and months with below average rain we finally are getting some. In the past 14 hrs we have had 50mm. I know in other places thats not much but to us, who get little in my region, its fantastic! Have not seen water in our backyard thats about 8cm deep, its a guess as no I didn't measure it ? , in a few years. Its even come into our garage and I had to move my detecting picks and stuff to a dry area.
We live in a real dry area of our state and this to our farmers is like Xmas and Easter rolled into one. Even our local hoons are happy driving around spinning the wheels in the wet :giggle:
Hey, at least they're not leaving tyre marks all over the roads like usual! ?
20210129_160135(1).jpg
20210129_160222(1).jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Today's fun, ...

The BOE (Board Of Education) uses an automated call out system for substitute custodians. This morning's call out for me to have work, "Job starts at 5:45 A goes to 1:45 P."

You might think that's alright. Well, I was getting called out for the job at 6:15 A. So it was called out a half hour late. It takes roughly a half hour to get to the location. So there's an hour wasted already.

Then, another rough half hour when I get there to sort out what I need done, where stuff is located, exact job details. May as well figure another hour gone. So, a six hour job with two hours wasted on it and I'm told it's a bigger school.

So the automation asks if you decline the job. It lists six reasons. None of those applied. There was no option seven "System malfunction". I did not decline due to illness, personal day, jury duty, death in family, or whatever the last option was listed as being.

I declined because it called out way too late to actually do the work. Everyone has been nice, understanding. But I myself in a pro capacity know I'd be frustrated seeing a guy run around like a headless flopping chicken trying to get the work done. So no, not going to go be the headless chicken.

Sorry, not me, tag someone else. Or, get your system fixed. But I'm not a "boss" nor do I want to be. And I also don't want to be "that guy" that says "um, hey your system is broke".

ETA: Well they got me for a job at 11. They called about 7 to post it. It's just a half shift at an elementary. Figure all I'll be doing is checking and cleaning bathrooms. It's 11 to 2:30.

See? I'm a workin'. :)

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!
Have to do the Wally's pick up this morning. Hubby thinks he needs to add stops at the hardware store and Home Depot, since we're already out. Ok, but don't be surprised when I need to order something!
Jessie is having a lazy morning in the recliner. I think she used up her energy at 4am waking Hubby up.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A good if hectic day so far. I got in a mystery package from DHL, that turned out to be my Wotofo Profile M from the contest. So many things in that box, gonna be a fun project to work on. :D

P1040852.JPGP1040854.JPGP1040858.JPG

My meat grinder for the Milly foods is out for delivery now too, by FedEx, which makes me nervous as it's the most expensive thing I've bought in a while. But, they are usually pretty good and I know they know where I live, unlike UPS who has no clue. ;)

Other than that, SSDD. It's chilly and very foggy out, but not bad. About 38F and good chances of rain/snow mix.

Milly has been fed and all, she terrorized the place for a bit and fell asleep on the bed finally.
Now, I'm just waiting on FedEx. Yay!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got in the big beastie....this is awesome. :D
My first electric meat grinder, it's about damn time.
It's purdy too. Just about the right size for my tiny kitchen, yet well-made for the price.

Put it together and gave it a test flip of the switch and it's only about as loud as a blender...not too bad for an Apt.

P1040859.JPG P1040861.JPG P1040863.JPG

Got it for cheap and with all original parts and packaging. Even the manual.
It's basically in like-new condition, but for less than retail. ;)

No more freezing my ass off dicing and/or grinding Milly's food up by hand. Plus, I can make my own hamburger and brekky sausage however I like whenever I like. Pre-ground 80/20 Hamburger is like $3.50.lb here...ack! I can buy boneless beef roasts, chicken, turkey, pork, etc. for half of that.

Maybe even rice some cauliflower? Hmmmm.

I also can make larger batches of Milly's food up to freeze and have less whining from her because I'd ran out. Trust me, having her wake me up and making her food from scratch at 6am is not ideal. ?

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Sun is out but it's windy. Jessie said no thanks, she'll stay in. We're going to have a lazy day. Maybe do some re-wicking, maybe some chores. I should see if I can vacuum and dust some Jessie fur.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty good day, other than Milly waking my ass up at 4am.....:gaah:

It's warmer and feels more like Fall than winter, a high of around 40F today. Weather is schitzo around here..lol...

Pretty colors from the park downtown though, the former site of Expo 74:

IMG_20210130_091026.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some pretty big Top-10 NCAAM basketball games on today. My Zags play Pepperdine later on...wooo!
And, there's the Laker-Celtic NBA game tonight too. Ack! Good thing I can watch two at a time in the bedroom setup. ;)

For now, Milly is finally asleep again so I think I'll take a walk to the Discount store and putter around. Gotta get out once in awhile and get some exercise or I go batty. :zombie:

Oh, and I need a new fited sheet 'cuz I didn't pull the bedspread over soon enough and Milly-kitteh decided it would be great to claw on it...it's dead Jim. ?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Went to the Discount store for the Perrier and huge bottle of sanitizer as advertised with a sale code on FB, also hoped to find a set of queen sheets too, but I found something even better... ;)

IMG_20210130_151837.jpg

This set was just an open-box return type of thing from Costco, but it's all there and in un-used condition. Not a scratch even on the Acacia wood block. Still has all the paper knife sheaths and paperwork too...Lifetime Waranteed.

And it is glorious. :stars2:

OFC, Costco sells it for a wholesale price, then I got 25% off their price.

IMG_20210130_153839.jpg

This is my first full set of quality knives. I have several that are very good, but nothing like this.
I still have my Uncle Rick's Sabatier vintage meat cleaver from the '80s too. Sab is legendary stuff.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Went to the Discount store for the Perrier and huge bottle of sanitizer as advertised with a sale code on FB, also hoped to find a set of queen sheets too, but I found something even better... ;)

View attachment 177410

This set was just an open-box return type of thing from Costco, but it's all there and in un-used condition. Not a scratch even on the Acacia wood block. Still has all the paper knife sheaths and paperwork too...Lifetime Waranteed.

And it is glorious. :stars2:

Retail on that set is in the $100-180 range depending on where you look.
OFC, Costco sells it for a wholesale price, then I got 25% off their price.

View attachment 177411

This is my first full set of quality knives. I have several that are very good, but nothing like this.
I still have my Uncle Rick's Sabatier vintage meat cleaver from the '80s too. Sab is legendary stuff.

Good knives are great to have! You're gonna enjoy those. Wonderful price, too - you could easily spend more than that on one knife.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good knives are great to have! You're gonna enjoy those. Wonderful price, too - you could easily spend more than that on one knife.
Yuppers.

I know, these are not the same quality as the vintage French Sabatier knives.

While there are many knife manufacturers using Sabatier as their brand, some Sabatier manufacturers are considered authentic, and some are not. Generally speaking, among connoisseurs of fine cutlery, only knives manufactured in Thiers, France from well established manufacturers from the 19th century are considered "genuine" Sabatier knives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabatier

These are mass-produced in China, using German steel. Much like the MIU knives I have that use Henckles steel but are forged in China.

But, it is a more than good enough set for a home cook like me. And I wont have to worry about the cat getting to them in the block like I do with what I have now. :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yuppers.

I know, these are not the same quality as the vintage French Sabatier knives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabatier

These are mass-produced in China, using German steel. Much like the MIU knives I have that use Henckles steel but are forged in China.

But, it is a more than good enough set for a home cook like me. And I wont have to worry about the cat getting to them in the block like I do with what I have now. :)

My knives are "Tools of the Trade," which I think is a brand that Macy's used to carry, but I bought these off eBay a good 12 years ago. The set was missing one knife- (carving, I think), and so I went to Macy's to replace it. Come to find out, they had changed the name of their house brand to "Belgique," although the handles and construction still looked the same. I bought that one knife at Macy's and spent about $28 on it, which was not much less than what I paid for the block and the rest of the set (chef's, bread, sandwich, paring, six steak knives, and one I don't know what to call it). I've since replaced the steak knives with a some that match our flatware, but we're still using the rest of the set, and there isn't a spot on them. Hubbs does a good job of keeping them sharp.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a serviceable set, just have to take care of them. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd gotten in my Sinuous V80 kit right when I was going to hit the store, so I decided to take it with me. It's cheap, but did it's job with no leaks, very light, and a pretty good vape on the Wismec mesh coil at 0.27Ω. Eats juice and battery for lunch though. :D

P1040875.JPG

P1040877.JPG

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My knives are "Tools of the Trade," which I think is a brand that Macy's used to carry, but I bought these off eBay a good 12 years ago. The set was missing one knife- (carving, I think), and so I went to Macy's to replace it. Come to find out, they had changed the name of their house brand to "Belgique," although the handles and construction still looked the same. I bought that one knife at Macy's and spent about $28 on it, which was not much less than what I paid for the block and the rest of the set (chef's, bread, sandwich, paring, six steak knives, and one I don't know what to call it). I've since replaced the steak knives with a some that match our flatware, but we're still using the rest of the set, and there isn't a spot on them. Hubbs does a good job of keeping them sharp.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a serviceable set, just have to take care of them. :)

Hmm, is this the knife you weren't familiar with?

IMG_20210131_104540.jpg

This is a "bird's beak" knife. Great for garnishes, coring, general use, or peeling round things.
Basically just a utility/paring knife with a curved blade. Pretty handy though. :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It's more like this, a knife with a smallish handle and a really long blade that isn't very wide. It's different from a filet knife. This pic is fairly close, and this company calls it a "fish knife," so I guess that's what it is.

1612121593582.png

The handles of mine are like this, but the knife types aren't embossed on the ends and the set isn't this large:

1612122035714.png

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's more like this, a knife with a smallish handle and a really long blade that isn't very wide. It's different from a filet knife. This pic is fairly close, and this company calls it a "fish knife," so I guess that's what it is.

View attachment 177439

The handles of mine are like this, but the knife types aren't embossed on the ends and the set isn't this large:

View attachment 177440

Well, it looks just like a utility or carving knife. Long, thin blade stuff.

Butcher's knife =/= Carving knife, although my Mom would think they are the same thing. ;)

This is a fish knife...teehee. I own that one, a Rapala. Insanely sharp, and flexible for boning and filleting.
Rapala-Fishn-Fillet-Knife.jpg

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well, it looks just like a utility or carving knife. Long, thin blade stuff.

Butcher's knife =/= Carving knife, although my Mom would think they are the same thing. ;)

This is a fish knife...teehee. I own that one, a Rapala. Insanely sharp, and flexible for boning and filleting.
Rapala-Fishn-Fillet-Knife.jpg

Here's my tartan, by the way:

1612125117758.png

McQueen/McSween/McSwan/McSwain, Gaelic MacSuibhne, a sept of Clan Donald. 1730 ancestor David McSwain out of Isle of Skye.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know this belongs in Food thread, but since we're on the subject....

I sharpened and tested a couple of my new knives...they were rather dull OOTB. Also set to a rather blunt 24 degree edge, I'll fix that. Should be more like 15 degrees if the steel can handle it.

But I de-boned and trimmed a thin pork chop and then rough-diced it. Sticky pork is loads of fun. ?

P1040879.JPG

They did pretty well after sharpening through 600 and then polishing with 1200 grit diamond plates.
The pork will end up on a pizza. ;-)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Went out today for a few hours. Nice, no wind, overcast and just 25c.
The bush weather bureau, creatures, are saying more big rain on the way. Every type of ant there from Bulldog ants to tiny little black ones were rebuilding or had done so after the last rain.
Every dam I drove past was full of new frog spawn. This time of year they only do that when they know they are going to have a good breeding season and the water will stay and not dry up as it usually does. Even in dams that were dry a week ago and have been recently filled are frog cities.
The area I was in, thats the remnants of an old gold puddler with a dam in the background.
20210201_134908(1).jpg
20210201_134751(1).jpg
20210201_134742(1).jpg
20210201_135102(1).jpg
20210201_135114(1).jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
WB VU...we missed ya.....eesh!
Im guessing thats your Clan response mate to what I was confronted with "server down"!?
Tried a few times to log in. Got bounced.
Good day today. Went shopping and to avoid the covid angst wore my new Bluetooth ear thingys listening to Sade remixes, am a bit sick of the angst here lately from new get away from Melbourne new residents. There has been an influx of city people here in the past few months thinking a country life is better. Problem is they are bringing their city angst with them and not getting that we live and cruise on a much lower speed. Wow what a cruise it was. My misses actually advised me to do it after last week. I liked it!
But this exodus here from them and their "we....we....me....me....give us now...us locals are getting hit from and is wearing a bit thin to be honest. Hence the Sade soundtrack and us wanting to block them out and ignore it all.
Im still a happy Idiot.... :)
Caffeine Vape test tommorow! ?:giggle:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning

I had to take Hubby to the ER this AM, trying to pass a kidney stone. He's on blood thinners, so internal bleeding is a possibility. And I can't be with him. I hate this!
Jessie is asleep in Hubby's chair, I'm distracting myself here.

That's super crappy, wishing a good outcome for all over there. ((hugs)) ?

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just watching Gonzaga play tonight with some team called Pacific. We beat the snot out of them like 50-20 last we played them. ?

They are being stubborn ATM, but we should destroy 'em

Snap1261.jpg

Our number one nemesis, #2 Baylor, has had to cancel games due to COVID restrictions...a terrible shame...

GO ZAGS!!!!

qjKgUmUn_400x400.jpg

OTOH, Milly is fine, but has been a brat today waking me up like 3 times this morning...think I got like 5-6 hrs of disjointed sleep total. Bleh. But, she made up by curling up with me this afternoon for a nap. Weirdo cat. ?

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Zags pulled out a win..but man that was tense. Whew!

This game, I can't decide who to root for...neither will be in the playoffs.

Snap1262.jpg

1. WSU, an ex went there and I had...erm..lots of good memories...from that campus. Still have the hat.
2. My cousin played football for the Ducks
3. I also have good memories from Eugene, Prince Puckler's Ice Cream, crusin' The Gut, and Auzten Stadium... ;)

'Tis all good..lol...

VU Sponsors