Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Morning!

Aw, thanks you guys! I really like this thread, don't post much anywhere else for some reason. I really need to change that. I read a lot of threads, major lurker here.

Hubby reported 3 fish caught yesterday, friend caught 2. Using Hubby's soft baits!!!! He plans on bring home enough for a big fish fry for the kids and us.

Smigo, Mr. Boots sounds like areal character, lol.

Stay safe and healthy :hug:
Yeah he was. I think he used to save it all up for me. When id visit John, who was limited mobility wise, Mr Boots would meow to come in. 30 seconds later was meowing to go out. John would say "I dont know whats got into him today?"
I knew, MR BOOTS had me wrapped around his kitty cat finger! :giggle:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Hubby caught fish yesterday, but 1 got away and the others were too small. He had a good time though, on the lake and bro time with his buddy. Maybe he'll have better luck today.

Jessie is moping around, missing Hubby. I've been giving her lots of attention but I'm not her dad.

Better get started on the chores.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So much stuff went wrong in so many ways lately, I did not want to get out of bed today. At about 10:30, I just could not go back to sleep any longer. I am certainly not looking forward to the weekend. We can't even mow the lawn. I tried doing that yesterday. Somehow, the blade on the riding mower got severely bent. I think hubby hit something last time he used it, and just never said anything.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So much stuff went wrong in so many ways lately, I did not want to get out of bed today. At about 10:30, I just could not go back to sleep any longer. I am certainly not looking forward to the weekend. We can't even mow the lawn. I tried doing that yesterday. Somehow, the blade on the riding mower got severely bent. I think hubby hit something last time he used it, and just never said anything.

My husband quit letting me use the riding mower because I'd mess it up somehow every single time.

I feel for somebody at your house, because it is SUCH fun putting new blades on riding mowers.

Hubbs here has had cataract surgery on both eyes over the last two weeks, and he's doing well. Had a follow-up appointment today and he was able to get in the car and drive himself there. I think someone revolutionized cataract surgery in the last ten or fifteen years, because the processes he had were nothing like what my mother described years ago.

Still working from home and damn sick of it. So that's all of that you will want to hear. lol

Going to make lunch. Everybody stay safe.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hubbs here has had cataract surgery on both eyes over the last two weeks, and he's doing well. Had a follow-up appointment today and he was able to get in the car and drive himself there. I think someone revolutionized cataract surgery in the last ten or fifteen years, because the processes he had were nothing like what my mother described years ago.

Yeah your cuz had both eyes done in March and it was pretty impressive, the recovery and restored vision

Had a great day, reflexology and I scored some really cool new clothes and a few sundry for the low cost of FREE, so I'm pretty stoked and content today :)

Hope everyone else is too :wave:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Well, Hubby comes home tomorrow. Jessie will be excited! She has really missed having him home. Yes, I have, too, but a break is nice sometimes. Smelly fishing clothes to wash, yay.

Kids are doing well with their yard sale. I went over yesterday but they didn't need any help. People were coming in a few at a time, made it easy. So I played with the cat & puppy, lol.

I need to go mix up some more WF cookies & cream, love Oreos.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Happy Mother's Day to moms and those who love them <3
I wonder how long it will take till the Wokers turn it into Persons Day?
Followed by Persons Anything day to accomodate people with children, pets, cabbage patch dolls, stuffed toys, plastic dinosaurs......
🤔 Hey not a bad idea, then I can celebrate it with my worm farm buddies.
images (7).jpg

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It's been a lovely 2 weeks. I haven't seen my oldest son in 5yrs and my youngest in 3yrs. They surprised me a week ago Saturday by both showing up to help me with something. My oldest is 36 and all gray. He started going gray when he was 15. My youngest has long, curly, brown hair, age 35 and is 6'6". He walked in and I literally said, "Whoa, Ty!".

Then, out of the blue my oldest son texted me and asked if he could come over yesterday for Mother's Day. WAT? Where'd that come from? I was so delighted. He brought me macaroons and a lovely card with a pop-up humming bird.

Then Chuck out of the blue said he'd make me the 5' plant dual shelf wood table I want to put in front of our living room window. He went and got the wood, etc.

I also loaded up on meats and fixings to of course make enormous amounts of food for to-go tubs to bribe them with over the next 2 months.
Hell, I bought a 15lb brisket. They each like it made differently. I'll cook them a 3lb'er each, a 2lb for our 83 yr old friend and cut the last for us.

Any who, life's been good.

Happy belated Mother's Day to you who protect and serve your offspring.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

I've been busy helping the kids get unpacked. I have always hated everything to do with moving, how did I end up helping with someone else's move? I know she's my kid, I love her, she needs the help, but sheesh. I still hate it. It's so good to have them back here, though!

Hubby is at the hardware store, scary. I don't know what project he's onto now but it's sure to be messy. And "I need you for just a minute". Sure.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hi people. (Note I didn't say Hi Guys, im being politically correct :giggle: )
Saw a news story on petrol problems there. Is it as bad as they are making out?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

I've been busy helping the kids get unpacked. I have always hated everything to do with moving, how did I end up helping with someone else's move? I know she's my kid, I love her, she needs the help, but sheesh. I still hate it. It's so good to have them back here, though!

Hubby is at the hardware store, scary. I don't know what project he's onto now but it's sure to be messy. And "I need you for just a minute". Sure.

That reminds me of the shade-tree mechanic days. I usually had to sit on a tire or a stool and hand out tools. It's just so much fun when he would say things like, "Hand me the 15mm quarter-inch drive 12 point socket." I'd have to pick up half the sockets in the tool box, he'd get pissed, and get out from under the car, take one look at the tool box, and pick out the socket he needed. Smartass! :teehee:

I think that's a brain lobe that this female human does not possess. I'm doing well to know what a hammer is. lol

Eye doctor told hubbs yesterday his vision is 20/20. Said if he needed help with small print, go to the store and buy a pair of readers, so that's what he did. Beats the hell out of spending $300 on a couple pairs of progressive lens glasses. I'd call this process a huge success, one of the more amazing things that I've seen doctors do.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi people. (Note I didn't say Hi Guys, im being politically correct :giggle: )
Saw a news story on petrol problems there. Is it as bad as they are making out?
I saw some of the dramatic stuff on the news, along with folks filling drums not meant for petrol. (Gas hoarding) Humans can be such idiotic creatures.

During the week it took to get our riding mower fixed, I decided it was due time and I got one of those $400 electric 56v push mowers. I have bad luck with small engines, but electric motors are just fine. It took nearly an hour to mow the yard, but that battery still had a charge.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I saw some of the dramatic stuff on the news, along with folks filling drums not meant for petrol. (Gas hoarding) Humans can be such idiotic creatures.

During the week it took to get our riding mower fixed, I decided it was due time and I got one of those $400 electric 56v push mowers. I have bad luck with small engines, but electric motors are just fine. It took nearly an hour to mow the yard, but that battery still had a charge.
Ah ok so toilet paper is old now its fuel. Im sure here would be the same.
Mowers. Yeah. I think it must have been covud stupidifying effect on me but last week we had to mow. I checked it all. The yr before I went over the carby and throtle fixing the throtle and taking the carby off cleaning it all. Started better than ever. But I forgot to check the blades. Mowing last week was "huh". I think there is 1/5 of one blade left. Thats it. I tried to take the two off but its like they are welded on. :giggle:
Don't worry i tried wd and oils. Our grass here because of the lack of rain grows like 1 10th that of Melbourne or other places. So we get to not worry about blades for that long that they become one with the mower :giggle:
It'll be less hassle for me to take it to the mower guy and get him to change the blades than do it myself.
I hate lawns here. Too much bucks to water them, our town water is stupid expensive. And our tank is strictly for drinking.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well, come Monday morning, all three of our grown children will be hundreds and hundreds of miles away from us, for the first time since we started having children. My son has moved back South, my oldest daughter decided she wanted a divorce so she has either temporarily or permanently left the area, and my youngest daughter got married on Friday and will be on her honeymoon next week. Plus my "real life" best friend will be flying out on Tuesday for a week in South Florida.

Our only friend still around will be our insurance company's Roadside Assistance.

I am absolutely in a serious frump about it. There's been too much going on in my family for a while now. I feel like I just want to go to bed and hide there.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Nada, that sounds like a lot of changes in a short time. I hope it will get better for you soon.

We had the kids over yesterday for a fish fry. Oh so good! Had a great time, stuffed ourselves silly. Jessie hid the whole time they were here, of course. She does not like or trust other people, runs when the door bell rings, if someone knocks on the door, if she hears a strange voice outside. She was very lovey after the kids left!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, come Monday morning, all three of our grown children will be hundreds and hundreds of miles away from us, for the first time since we started having children. My son has moved back South, my oldest daughter decided she wanted a divorce so she has either temporarily or permanently left the area, and my youngest daughter got married on Friday and will be on her honeymoon next week. Plus my "real life" best friend will be flying out on Tuesday for a week in South Florida.

Our only friend still around will be our insurance company's Roadside Assistance.

I am absolutely in a serious frump about it. There's been too much going on in my family for a while now. I feel like I just want to go to bed and hide there.

Might be a good time to pamper and take special care of... yourself <3

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Ok, it's Monday again. A trip to the post office, a trip to Wally's, then the chiropractor. That's plenty for today! Hubby is playing with a new mold, Jessie is keeping him company. She was guarding him while he showered, she was in the sink. She even made him open his bathroom window so she could watch for birds, lol.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today will be day number 3 of visiting my mother in the hospital. On Sunday, she fell, breaking her wrist, and hitting her head hard enough to get whiplash and 6 stitches. It could have been worse, especially at her 74 year old age.

I let her puff off my vape in there, since she is not allowed to have her mod in there. She has been vaping for 5 years and 1 month now after quitting a 50 year smoking habit.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Today will be day number 3 of visiting my mother in the hospital. On Sunday, she fell, breaking her wrist, and hitting her head hard enough to get whiplash and 6 stitches. It could have been worse, especially at her 74 year old age.

I let her puff off my vape in there, since she is not allowed to have her mod in there. She has been vaping for 5 years and 1 month now after quitting a 50 year smoking habit.

I'm both sorry and happy for your mom. I hope she heals up quickly and can go home so she can be comfortable. On the other hand, YAY for Mom for kicking the habit. It's never too late, and that healing starts as soon as a person quits.

And yes, it could have been a lot worse. I hope your mom isn't like mine was - at 80 years old, she'd climb up on a stepladder to change a light bulb or something, and invariably bad things would happen. Sis and I had to get stern with her to get her to stop doing it. It can be tough doing that to a parent - but for their own safety, sometimes you have to. And you have to do things like go behind them and look through their checkbook. Mama got to where she couldn't read her own writing, and you can imagine what that does to addition and subtraction. It gets bizarre.

Good on you for going to visit her every day. You're a good daughter. <3

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Had some leftover smoked ribs for breakfast today - sheer yumminess

Need to do yard work today, lots of clearing yet to be done after the extra-long rainy season this year

Pretty boring, cats, spouse, kids, we are all good

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Had some leftover smoked ribs for breakfast today - sheer yumminess

Need to do yard work today, lots of clearing yet to be done after the extra-long rainy season this year

Pretty boring, cats, spouse, kids, we are all good

My sweet husband made sausage and gravy for breakfast. I have gone gluten-free (helps a lot with pain in my legs and knees) so I had my gravy over hash browns, which is just as good, if not better, than biscuits.

But I coulda whupped up on some ribs. That sounds like decadent breakfast. I'm a carnivore anyway, as long as I can have potatoes too. lol

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My sweet husband made sausage and gravy for breakfast. I have gone gluten-free (helps a lot with pain in my legs and knees) so I had my gravy over hash browns, which is just as good, if not better, than biscuits.

But I coulda whupped up on some ribs. That sounds like decadent breakfast. I'm a carnivore anyway, as long as I can have potatoes too. lol

He made a buttload of ribs Saturday

I had them for yesterday too but ate too much and was sluggish instead of energetic all morning. Much better today, hahahha

Four years ago, I was forced to give up all grains and it was a real killer at first but now the food I eat is so much tastier and my health is night and day better compared to back then

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm both sorry and happy for your mom. I hope she heals up quickly and can go home so she can be comfortable. On the other hand, YAY for Mom for kicking the habit. It's never too late, and that healing starts as soon as a person quits.

And yes, it could have been a lot worse. I hope your mom isn't like mine was - at 80 years old, she'd climb up on a stepladder to change a light bulb or something, and invariably bad things would happen. Sis and I had to get stern with her to get her to stop doing it. It can be tough doing that to a parent - but for their own safety, sometimes you have to. And you have to do things like go behind them and look through their checkbook. Mama got to where she couldn't read her own writing, and you can imagine what that does to addition and subtraction. It gets bizarre.

Good on you for going to visit her every day. You're a good daughter. <3
If it were not for her accident, we never would have found out about her atrial fibrillation that has been going on for several years. She stopped going to the doctor since we found out the last one she saw was a quack that even the VA censured. That quack has been dead for more than 2 years now, and she hasnt seen a doctor in twice as long.

Between myself, my husband, and my brother... we are working on getting a few improvements done to help with her mobility. I already have a wheelchair in new condition for her to use, and a walker with wheels for after her arm is better.

My sister is full of advice and demands that only the wealthy can afford. I don't see her footing the bills.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Went for a fish yesterday and today @misswish but alas no joy. Was a perfect day though both times. Unfortunately they have released 50% of the water from the res to do some dam wall repairs. They had all summer to do it when the water was at 40% but no, they waited till it filled giving us a good few yrs water supply, then opened the gates and let all the rain we got go. We only get rains that fill that res every 5 or so yrs. So we finally get a fill and they let it out. They have no idea how to manage it. A number of yrs ago the res was 30%. Then a huge rain event hit which would easily have filled it to 100%. What did they do? They admitted it "we accidentally opened the gates fully instead of closing them, sorry!" :facepalm:
Anyway, this res fishes lousy when it drops as it presently is. When its high its amazing.
Nice day though.
20210520_144440(1).jpg
20210520_144258(1).jpg
To another one in the region next week, that ones full.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Sarah, I'm so glad your Mom is ok and with you. We had my Mom for 16 years. Sometimes it's hard, but it was really a blessing. Challenging, frustrating, yes sometimes. But so much love and fun!

Smigo - what a gorgeous place! What a great way to restore your soul. Sorry about the fish, and the bad management.

It's been pretty quiet here. Do a little here, be lazy there. Jessie does keep us on our toes, though.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If it were not for her accident, we never would have found out about her atrial fibrillation that has been going on for several years. She stopped going to the doctor since we found out the last one she saw was a quack that even the VA censured. That quack has been dead for more than 2 years now, and she hasnt seen a doctor in twice as long.

Between myself, my husband, and my brother... we are working on getting a few improvements done to help with her mobility. I already have a wheelchair in new condition for her to use, and a walker with wheels for after her arm is better.

My sister is full of advice and demands that only the wealthy can afford. I don't see her footing the bills.

A-fib is bad news if it's uncontrolled. I hope the docs gave her a beta blocker. I think the one my doc insisted I take (that I didn't think I needed) has probably saved my life by now. I've been taking it for going on ten years, so I started at about 55.

That sort of thing runs in my mother's family, and so far she and all her sisters have passed from heart problems. My cousin who is closest in age to me has it, too. So keep an eye on yourself as well, Sarah. If you feel your heart fluttering, or if it ever feels like it stops, and then starts up again with one or two really hard beats, you need to get yourself checked.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

DogMan, I hope you all have a great time! Family time is precious.

The kids are coming over today, Hubby is getting the bbq ready, I'm trying to get laundry done. Jessie is taking turns on supervising us, the cat door is getting a lot of use!

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My brother is supposed to come over some time today to make a few modifications in the house to make things easier for our mother, since she can't get around like she used to. I still don't know if he was able to get a wheelchair ramp he was looking at online for her. I guess I'll find out when he comes over.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Happy Day! One of my children is back at her home, so now I don't feel quite so lonely. Another is working his butt off in Savannah, and the eldest is somewhere in the depths of Texas, down there where it's flat and sandy and brown. I'm not sure what her plan is - she may still be mulling it over, but I'm trying to just stay in touch with her to know that she and the kids are safe.

The daughter who is now at home called us and we talked for nearly an hour. It was so nice just to hear her voice.

Nothing much going on here today, I'll probably spend most of the day reading an Ann Rule book (she's the lady who lived with Ted Bundy for a good while, and after she wrote the book about him, she discovered that she's a pretty damn decent true crime writer, so now she has a whole bunch of books published).

Slept in late this morning (9:30, which really qualifies as late for me) and I'll bet it's going to make the day fly by.

Hope everyone is well and happy, and if you haven't been vaccinated, please PLEASE think hard about getting that done. None of us want this mess to drag on and on, with more hospitalizations and more deaths.

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi everyone. Not been around for a really good while. It’s been challanging for both me and my daughter but we’re doing ok and have been getting out and about a bit now which is a really good thing.
Hope everyone is doing ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Nothing exciting here, just the usual stuff. Jessie is back to sleeping in the bathroom sinks again. Must be cooler, or she just likes to scare us! She is spending a lot of time out on the deck, just loves the fresh air and watching the birds.

Hi, tatty!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Off to the beach today, been over a month, with many false starts so fingers crossed

Farmers market afterwards for some fresh ginger - have some growing in the yard but nowhere near ready to harvest

We are all good and hope you are too

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Rained most of the day here. Good because it saved me washing the car. Just parked it in the pouring rain for a few hours then drove on our wettest roads for 20 mins to clean the underneath and wash the bugs off of the grill mesh. Too easy. :)
Visited a patient in hospital and watched 3 episodes of the Three Stooges with him. :giggle:Had a good laugh.
Feel sorry for the Melbournians though. Some new covid cases recorded there, just 13, just 13 sounds so insignificant when you see whats happening in India and elsewhere but the state gov hits hyperdrive and sets the sirens off when they pop up so mask up time for them there again in poor ole Melbourne. Hopefully it doesn't grow, though with new strains and so many returning travelers its bound to happen and see more lockdowns.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Off to the beach today, been over a month, with many false starts so fingers crossed

Farmers market afterwards for some fresh ginger - have some growing in the yard but nowhere near ready to harvest

We are all good and hope you are too
How cool would one of these be!?
images (6).jpeg
Though my luck a strong offshore wind would whip up and blow me out to sea. :(

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That wouldn't have been much fun. I couldnt think of anything more frightening than getting lost at sea then circled by sharks.
Install a rudder and a good sail. If you're good enough, you can use you skills to get it back to shore, even against the winds.
You just gave me a good idea should I ever need to leave Australia.
You need to change your user name to Lady MacGyver. Has a good ring to it too!

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That wouldn't have been much fun. I couldnt think of anything more frightening than getting lost at sea then circled by sharks.

You just gave me a good idea should I ever need to leave Australia.
You need to change your user name to Lady MacGyver. Has a good ring to it too!
I've just got a bit of sailing experience from using a Styrofoam sailing boat on a small lake. At one time, I had to get back against 40mph winds, more than strong enough to create white caps. You could say I'm just speaking from experience.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
26dc380aa0ae3f13e91c7d2665d1c4a9.jpg

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@nadalama What do you run your Mjolnir at?

Been good here. Except Chuck royally screwed up his big toe kicking an empty gas can. THEN he dropped a 2x8 on it a few days later. I've been playing nurse until he sees the podiatrist next week. We found out too that he fractured his toe bone down the middle a bit. This guy is an accident waiting to happen AND bad luck just follows him everywhere. Seriously. I mean all the time.

Not for the faint of heart.
Chucks Toe.jpg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Been good here. Except Chuck royally screwed up his big toe kicking an empty gas can. THEN he dropped a 2x8 on it a few days later. I've been playing nurse until he sees the podiatrist next week. We found out too that he fractured his toe bone down the middle a bit. This guy is an accident waiting to happen AND bad luck just follows him everywhere. Seriously. I mean all the time.

View attachment 182224
not dissimilar to one my mum had, which throughnot healing, led to further testing and discovery of PVD in her leg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

View attachment 182224
Well you know what to buy him next. Steel Cap Boots.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

View attachment 182224

Sorry about your hubbs' injured big toe. Maybe he won't kick any more gas cans. Sucks, though, that he has to wait so long to see a doctor about it.

The Mjolnirs, it feels like about 32-35 watts. They're both on semi-regulated mods, so I can't tell you the exact wattage. I put 2.5mm, 26ga SS parallel coils in them, ohms at 0.3. I just tried one of them on a Minikin Reborn and 35 watts is on the highish end, like when the batteries I'm normally using are fully charged, so yeah, I think 32-35 is a decent guess. :)

VU Sponsors