Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

It has been and will be so hot here! Hit 111* the other day, looks like we're staying in the 100's for another week or so. Anything that has to be done gets done early! It's too early to be this hot. We have had a few storms that brought some much needed rain. Jessie has been going outside in the wee hours of the morning, gets Hubby up, then goes back out until it gets too warm. Lots of fur, that girl.

Happy belated birthday, @Lady Sarah !!!

Stay safe and healthy :hug:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
"Mice are able to begin breeding within 6 weeks of birth There is no specific season when mice breed. They will have litters all year round. Both males and females are usually ready to mate within the first 50 days of life. Females can have up to 15 litters a year and can become pregnant within 24 hours after giving birth. The average gestation time for mice is 19 to 21 days. The average litter size is 10 to 12 pups."

One mouse, caught and disposed of. Trap reset. Hallelujah!!!

My two best friends IRL have birthdays around this time. I totally missed the conversation about it being Sarah's birthday. So sorry, but Happy Belated Birthday to you, too, @Lady Sarah !!! :hug:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
:wait: dentist today

woo?

lower jaw wisdom teeth are black. Which i can only assume is not ideal

NFI what to expect, other than exorbitant bill
Never got any wisdom teeth myself.
Good luck. Get a good dentist and you wont feel a thing.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never trust a dentist that says "well, I won't feel a thing", or one that gives you ugly looks just because you never had wisdom teeth.

I distrust the crooks so much, I only go in when it's time to get an extraction.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Never trust a dentist that says "well, I won't feel a thing", or one that gives you ugly looks just because you never had wisdom teeth.

I distrust the crooks so much, I only go in when it's time to get an extraction.
Yep, met some crook ones for sure myself. As have some friends.
In our town there is one that is so honest and good that he amazes me.
When I was younger, in my 20s, I boxed for 7 yrs. Later upon coming to this town where I now live I carried with me some issues. 1 was damage that apparently to him had my bite and jaw out. I went to his practice not knowing him. Told him of my issues and pain that drove me mad. He said "ill fix that". He actually did a mold of my mouth/teeth and made a kind of mouth gaurd that I put in at night that he told me to use for several months. Im thinking "oh man this will cost" and picked it up the following day. When I went to pay upon getting it the receptionist said "hi ..... that's just $60" Im thinking "huh...what...?" And payed it. I saw him Mark a week later and asked him "Mark, mate, I was only charged 60 bucks like a cheap check up but you made that thing for me, is that right?"
He said "..... if I cant help someone out when they need it and do something good then what good am I" Anywhere else what he did would have cost me hundreds which for relief id have payed as it drove me mad. And after several months it did fix it with no issues since. Before that it would click when I ate and hurt so bad id grab the side of my jaw.
He still works here and is the only local dentist that gives a day a week for free to work on peoples teeth to the general public that cannot afford dental treatment.
I often see him out and about and he is the most humble friendly person in our town. I have all the time in the world for him. Amazing and inspiring guy for sure. Wish the world had more Marks like him in it.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
6 cavities on one side. 7 on the other

And, I decided to just wait for the long public system waiting list

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Today is fish fry day! Kids are coming over, bringing their appetites. I need to go make the tartar sauce and the salad dressing. Do a quick sweep of the kitchen and clean the table.

We're still in the 100's here, will be for a while. It's getting old, and it's only June. I've been brushing Jessie every other day, getting piles of fur. She loves it when I get out the brushes! She spends her nights out on the deck while it's cooler.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
6 cavities on one side. 7 on the other

And, I decided to just wait for the long public system waiting list
Dont know how it works in Melbourne but here if you have one that's causing pain you go to the public one and tell them, they then give you a voucher to go to one of several nominated dental practices and it gets fixed for $25. No wait.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dont know how it works in Melbourne but here if you have one that's causing pain you go to the public one and tell them, they then give you a voucher to go to one of several nominated dental practices and it gets fixed for $25. No wait.
We used to have a place where I could go and get teeth pulled cheap. For $25, I could get several teeth pulled at once. Since my bottom teeth were no good, I had them all done there. Shortly after, they changed it where our county was not qualified. The last time I had to get teeth pulled, I got the dental place to give me a deal, so it cost me $160 to have 2 pulled.

The insurance I have covers dental, but only annual cleaning. They wonder why I don't get my teeth cleaned. I ask them if they would take a wrecked car to the car wash. Even worse, as soon as they start cleaning teeth, they start counting money, and then expect me to come back and get that all fixed. Yeah sure. Like I'm a freaking millionaire.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Rang my car dealer today inquiring about some different rims for my car. Mine came with steels but after a yr they have made an alloy for it in my tyre size. My only issue has been the steels are heavier unsprung weight meaning they sit a bit heavier on the road and are a but heavier on the suspension. Cut it short our roads here are appalling and anything that can lessen the knocks is a plus. The ones I want are good, same height but much lighter and can fit my thicker profile tyres. Should improve things even just a bit which I want.
They said "yep we can get them for you but a customer got a GT line of yours just a few weeks ago and wanted bigger wheels so we did a deal with him. So we have the size bigger than yours, never used, and with never driven on tyres, full warranty for just $650 fitted! 650!? That's mad, new rims and tyres like that are $2800! Damn, someones gonna get an insane deal when they get them for sure. Would love them as they look awesome, but too low profile tyres for my liking. :(
Would make my suspension even harder, drove one with them and was too rigid compared to mine.
What an offer though 😲 twice that would have been a bargain. Good on them though for not being greedy, rare im thinking these days.

ccrules

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rang my car dealer today inquiring about some different rims for my car. Mine came with steels but after a yr they have made an alloy for it in my tyre size. My only issue has been the steels are heavier unsprung weight meaning they sit a bit heavier on the road and are a but heavier on the suspension. Cut it short our roads here are appalling and anything that can lessen the knocks is a plus. The ones I want are good, same height but much lighter and can fit my thicker profile tyres. Should improve things even just a bit which I want.
They said "yep we can get them for you but a customer got a GT line of yours just a few weeks ago and wanted bigger wheels so we did a deal with him. So we have the size bigger than yours, never used, and with never driven on tyres, full warranty for just $650 fitted! 650!? That's mad, new rims and tyres like that are $2800! Damn, someones gonna get an insane deal when they get them for sure. Would love them as they look awesome, but too low profile tyres for my liking. :(
Would make my suspension even harder, drove one with them and was too rigid compared to mine.
What an offer though 😲 twice that would have been a bargain. Good on them though for not being greedy, rare im thinking these days.
I hate alloy rim/wheels,can't tell you how many got ruined on our wonderful (gagging) PA roads. I do tend to nick a curb or 2 also. Give me a nice solid (usually repairable ) set of steel anyday. But I am a bit odd.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So shopped this afternoon at a few places. Today people from Melbourne, where there still are some active covid cases, are allowed to travel into our country region where we have Zero cases and have had Zero cases for 12 mths. We here are still required to wear masks in shops. In one shop I was at a couple I heard talking from Melbourne, I heard them talk about it, not wearing masks even though we all in the place I was at were.
Another place, others not wearing them. I say "hi on holiday?" Them "yes so glad to be out of Melbourne". At another place talking to the service person who said "I wish these Melbourne people would just stay away, they come here and dont care".
Before the Melbourne people were let out of lockdown you saw nobody not wearing a mask. Today non mask wearers everywhere. Happened last time too.
We know the local faces here and it aint hard to tell a non local in a small town.
People here are as dirty as on the blow ins how they are treating us here not following the rules. :mad:
Is it any wonder that Melbourne is the main place in Oz that Covid outbreaks occur. They just dont care!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I hate alloy rim/wheels,can't tell you how many got ruined on our wonderful (gagging) PA roads. I do tend to nick a curb or 2 also. Give me a nice solid (usually repairable ) set of steel anyday. But I am a bit odd.
Hi. Yes I get your preference. I myself though have never had issues with them. True factory ones. I do know of mates that had aftermarket ones that failed, cracked in places on bad potholes. Im in the country and my 90+ % driving is nowhere near the worry of curb hits. Many alloy aftermarkets are cheap Chinese garbage here and when tested failed miserably by our Aussie driver testers. The ones im getting are true Kia alloys and have no negative reviews. I drove a Nissan with their alloys here and i fished and went bush in some serious bad off road situations with never an issue. Here Kia has a better customer care rep than Nissan so I have no doubts that if there was an issue they'd look after me. I really want the lower unsprung suspension weight that the alloys give and the option to put thicker profile tyres if I want later. They really do ride a bit smoother because of that lesser weight which Im happy switch for. We drive big distances here at times and after an hour on our roads which are crap im glad the drives over. Anything that makes it better im all for.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Any time now. Probably morning

Nurse recommended gargling salt water, since it is probably winter cold. But they say test every symptom
Speak of the devil

869425e36302d7ffe68f082efd7bb9e1.jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Speak of the devil

869425e36302d7ffe68f082efd7bb9e1.jpg
:giggle:
"If you feel unwell call your doctor"
Derrr....like as if a normal person wouldn't and would go to the supermarket for advice!
Honestly, our govt is an insult to the intelligence.
Hey Dear Dan! If your tooth hurts go to a Dentist! :facepalm:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@DogMan
What a bummer against the Cats. 1 minute to go, just in front, a Doggy marked it. Im thinking and cheering "burn the time, pass it short mate you guys have got it, you got one to the right"
:( He went for a long kick , turn over, then Cats got it and goal down the ground.....noooooooo.... They had it! :(

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Any time now. Probably morning

Nurse recommended gargling salt water, since it is probably winter cold. But they say test every symptom

Warm drinks help sore throats as well - hot tea, if you like it, would be perfect.

I am a veteran of about 25 bouts of strep throat during my lifetime, and it took me years to realize that warm is actually better than cold, although cold feels good right at the moment, it seems that the relief from a warm drink lasts longer. Hot cocoa is good as well, but only if there is no fever.

Hope you feel better soon.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Have to get ready to do a grocery & Rx pick up. I'm glad I can stay in the cool air in the car! And I need to wick some coils later on. I'm going to wait until Jessie is taking her afternoon siesta, less help and cat hair that way. Kids are coming over again tomorrow for Hubby's hamburgers, always a good time. Hubby is happily making baits (and not under my feet).

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Morning!

Have to get ready to do a grocery & Rx pick up. I'm glad I can stay in the cool air in the car! And I need to wick some coils later on. I'm going to wait until Jessie is taking her afternoon siesta, less help and cat hair that way. Kids are coming over again tomorrow for Hubby's hamburgers, always a good time. Hubby is happily making baits (and not under my feet).

Ok, exposing my potential dumbness here. What is an RX pick up?
Oh, and checked my worm farm today. They have gone off the planet breeding. Was so many in the bottom drop tray, easy 100, huge too, that I dumped them on the front wet lawn for the birds to eat. Still have hundreds in the actual bed trays. Have not been able to fish in the past 2 weeks due to the lockdowns and bad weather but we are going next week by hook or by crook. :)👍

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, exposing my potential dumbness here. What is an RX pick up?
Oh, and checked my worm farm today. They have gone off the planet breeding. Was so many in the bottom drop tray, easy 100, huge too, that I dumped them on the front wet lawn for the birds to eat. Still have hundreds in the actual bed trays. Have not been able to fish in the past 2 weeks due to the lockdowns and bad weather but we are going next week by hook or by crook. :)👍
RX means prescription.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Another happy Father's Day also!

Mr J is going to smoke brisket I got for him, and I homemade the sauce yesterday to make KC-style Burnt Ends

Got him premium local-made chocolates and some rare-colored anthurium plants he's been wanting

Should be a beautiful day

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Another happy Father's Day also!

Mr J is going to smoke brisket I got for him, and I homemade the sauce yesterday to make KC-style Burnt Ends

Got him premium local-made chocolates and some rare-colored anthurium plants he's been wanting

Should be a beautiful day

Happy Father's Day to cuz (either once or twice removed, Jeez I can't remember).

I would think being in Hawaii on Father's Day would be a treat in itself. I could deal with that if I was a Dad. :)

Hugs to Mr. J, and to you for taking good care of him. Now if he'd just quit smoking. :kickbutt:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Cold and wet here where we are in Central Victoria. Started raining at 1am and has not stopped, its now 4.40 pm. Heater on flat out too. Our place is open space, lounge, dining, hallway and kitchen. Usually the heating just doesn't feel right, always not warm enough. So I got a length of aluminum ducting, set it close to the heater outlet so it can dirrect about a third into the other areas, if not 100% blows into the lounge and just slowly filters to the rest.
20210609_213413.jpg
Wow what a difference! The whole house now feels warm everywhere! 30 bucks well spent. Looks weird but we dont care :)
That yellow truck, was a toy from when I was a little kid. One of my 2 surviving little kid toys :) 👍

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Federal government projects little need for AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine after October

For smigo
Hi mate thanks for the info.
Not at you but a general comment here.
If I get one it has to be an ethical one not using fetus cell lines in production or in final testing stages even though they are replicated from yrs ago, authorities still hunt crims and peds from longer ago than those taken aborted cells so when I hear "it was long ago and doesn't matter now" I say "Then stop hunting cold case crimes, they dont matter either do they! So time erases wrong does it? Leave the Peds, rapists and murders alone then after a few decades. Hey, what was with the hunting of Nazi war criminals for so long, aren't they now exempt through time?"
(I'll admit to being deeply ashamed of something when young in fact it still fuels much self hate, i just hope im a better person now and say this so to not appear self righteous but be truly honest and experienced the horrible aftermath of a bad evil regrettable decision)
Ironic isn't it, not at you but the world in general, so much protests over animals used to test cosmetics and things over the yrs, outrage! Where is the same outrage and indignation shown for the use of aborted human cells in medical trials?
Have heard near zero on it.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi mate thanks for the info.
Not at you but a general comment here.
If I get one it has to be an ethical one not using fetus cell lines in production or in final testing stages even though they are replicated from yrs ago, authorities still hunt crims and peds from longer ago than those taken aborted cells so when I hear "it was long ago and doesn't matter now" I say "Then stop hunting cold case crimes, they dont matter either do they! So time erases wrong does it? Leave the Peds, rapists and murders alone then after a few decades. Hey, what was with the hunting of Nazi war criminals for so long, aren't they now exempt through time?"
(I'll admit to being deeply ashamed of something when young in fact it still fuels much self hate, i just hope im a better person now and say this so to not appear self righteous but be truly honest and experienced the horrible aftermath of a bad evil regrettable decision)
Ironic isn't it, not at you but the world in general, so much protests over animals used to test cosmetics and things over the yrs, outrage! Where is the same outrage and indignation shown for the use of aborted human cells in medical trials?
Have heard near zero on it.
It's very unfortunate that most people don't truly know the truth behind why 'they' started to abort babies and why 'they' want it to be done. If, you look Deeper into what they are putting in some of our (McDonalds for example) food, it would make you sick to your stomach.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's very unfortunate that most people don't truly know the truth behind why 'they' started to abort babies and why 'they' want it to be done. If, you look Deeper into what they are putting in some of our (McDonalds for example) food, it would make you sick to your stomach.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !
There is an enormous difference between the original reasons behind the need for abortions, and why people want them done these days. We are not allowed to discuss politics, so we are not allowed to talk about why certain people want them banned outright. I will state that (in my opinion) if there is a medical necessity, it should be permitted. If the fetus is just an inconvenience, that's just too damn bad.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

It's hot here! Getting tired of the over 100's temps. Poor Jessie is spending her nights out on the deck, not much time during the day.

I finally nagged Hubby into trimming back bushes/trees from our metal awnings. Every breeze had them scraping, like fingernails on chalkboard, only metal. Our last storm had me up all night, there are 3 awnings on our bedroom windows! He got it all done, bitching and moaning the whole time, lol. I made him a favorite meal so all is well!

Today is grocery & prescription pick up day, need to get ready to go soon. Then I get to mix up a few favorite recipes to steep.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Went for a drive today to Cairn Curran Reservoir, nice day for winter there. We didn't need a coat, just a beanie and a windcheater top. Nice. For all the rain we have had in our catchment though it was hugely disappointing to see it was just at 40% capacity. It should have been 100% and overflowing the spillway. The bouys for ski boating and swimming are all displaced on dry land. Our water board management here really have messed up this yr. :(
20210630_144301_HDR_(1).jpg
20210630_144824_HDR_(1).jpg
20210630_144801_HDR.jpg

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning!

So much rain here! We finally hit our "monsoon" season, lol. The humidity gets to us, we usually very little. It does smell so fresh and clean! Jessie is upset that here favorite plastic wood box perch is wet. At least the deck is covered and dry for her. No, she is not spoiled - much!

I need to get groceries soon, before the holiday and the UFO Festival. It's hard to get anywhere or do anything during all of that!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Good morning!

So much rain here! We finally hit our "monsoon" season, lol. The humidity gets to us, we usually very little. It does smell so fresh and clean! Jessie is upset that here favorite plastic wood box perch is wet. At least the deck is covered and dry for her. No, she is not spoiled - much!

I need to get groceries soon, before the holiday and the UFO Festival. It's hard to get anywhere or do anything during all of that!

Are you near area 51? That would be so funny to see the festival. :giggle:

VU Sponsors