Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
i'll be happier in around a month

for about 2 weeks, then complain that it is too hot

Yeah, we're a hard-to-please bunch, we humans! :)

If I had to live with the temps you do during summer, I'd be bitching about it constantly. I'd probably have to quit work and sit in a tub of cold water all day.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bit of an odd morning...couldn't decide on breakfast or lunch...so I made a compromise....Bacon burger patty with an egg on toast with Meunster cheese. Egg got some shallot and jalapeno, bit of roasted tomato on top.

20220908_100523~3.jpg

All of that, mitigated about the news of QEII being ill and at Balmoral with family...no real news of yet..but it's troubling.

*just announced...Queen Elizabeth II has passed....may she rest well, she has certainly earned it.

As a Canadian by birth and Commonwealth citizen, I have a sad. She's been a fixture since beore I was born...hard to imagine it... :( :(

Screenshot from 2022-09-08 10-31-32.png

Mum had a set of her Coronation plates packed in straw and in a wooden cask bound in iron. IDK what became of them...

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My eldest daughter sent me a message about the Queen - she is the same daughter who called me and told me to get in front of a TV on 9/11. This isn't as unbelievable as 9/11, but it certainly is terribly sad.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wasn't much of a Royalist, but currently, I'm aving an Irish Death dark ale, in a Newcastle Brown Ale glass, with a shot of Glenfiddich scotch just because...it is a sad day...inevitable, but sad nonetheless.

20220908_133733_HDR.jpg

Seems about right....all three countries were under her rule or influence for longer than I've lived. It's not a funeral, it's a wake. She died at Barmoral, in Scotland after all...as she wanted...;)

She's with Phillip now...her husband of 70 years...

Oidhche mhath leibh...My Queen...

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Put it this way...NFL football starts tonight..I haven't thought about it all day....

However, the kickoff show for the Bills vs Rams starts at 4pm PST on NBC...for sure this time...LOL.... ;)
So yeah...I AM thinking of it now. 🏈:cheers:

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yessir....

Screenshot from 2022-09-08 15-19-52.png

I'm gonna be wearing a vintage #24 Lynch shirt...for old times sake.... :giggle:

BTW..thanks SO much NFL...the currently discombobulated Seahawks first game...is against our former QB and the Broncos. You suck, NFL.

Far as LA vs Bills...I got two words: Von Miller...muhahahha.....awww...too soon??

PS: still mad about Bobby Wagner....

20220908_153005~2.jpg

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yessir....

View attachment 196907

I'm gonna be wearing a vintage #24 Lynch shirt...for old times sake.... :giggle:

BTW..thanks SO much NFL...the currently discombobulated Seahawks first game...is against our former QB and the Broncos. You suck, NFL.

Far as LA vs Bills...I got two words: Von Miller...muhahahha.....awww...too soon??

PS: still mad about Bobby Wagner....

View attachment 196908
Sorry CaFF, it's an old AFC West thing...
Donkeys, Faders, Seabags....
kansas_city_chiefs.png

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My eldest daughter sent me a message about the Queen - she is the same daughter who called me and told me to get in front of a TV on 9/11. This isn't as unbelievable as 9/11, but it certainly is terribly sad.
70 years on the throne. It is going to be hard to officiate. Nobody has experience

Lots think this will start republic of Australia

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not the Chiefs to lose. They have some changes and questions to answer just like Rams.
Can't like your post. Not the same country I grew up in either....

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

I'm officially old now. I have fast-growing cataracts, it seems. Will be having both eyes fixed next month. I'm just dreading it, I hate anyone or anything messing with my eyes. Doctor said that he'll mainline a margarita for me, lol. Since I'm alone now, I'll prep some meals and I have a few audio books on hand.

We're still in the upper 80's and 90's here, Fall shows up later here.

Stay safe and healthy :hug::inlove:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

I'm officially old now. I have fast-growing cataracts, it seems. Will be having both eyes fixed next month. I'm just dreading it, I hate anyone or anything messing with my eyes. Doctor said that he'll mainline a margarita for me, lol. Since I'm alone now, I'll prep some meals and I have a few audio books on hand.

We're still in the upper 80's and 90's here, Fall shows up later here.

Stay safe and healthy :hug::inlove:

My husband had cataract surgery in both eyes last year - one eye at a time, two weeks apart. The way his surgery was done, it was much less invasive and was easier to recover from than my mother's surgery some years ago.

Do you have someone to drive you to and from your appointment? You'll need that, or a medical transport or taxi. But hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised at how easily your eyes will heal afterwards. My hubbs said the hardest part for him, afterwards, was waiting for the dilation to wear off! Will be wishing you the best!

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nada - Thanks!
My appointments are a week apart, hopefully because of medical advances. My son-in-law says he'll be my driver, but he has a new job so I don't want to have him take time off. I live 3 blocks from the hospital but they won't let me leave by myself. Too high from that margarita, lol. I'll just be glad when it's all over. Thanks for the support :hug:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I remember back in the day halloween before u had to be all careful, just packs of children roaming the dark streets, all around the neighborhoods all hopped up on sugar with absolutely zero parental supervision.

Our costumes all smelled like whatever incredibly toxic material they were made of.

Couldnt see out the eye holes

No flashlights, nothing reflective, just running around being lured in to strange adults houses by candy.

It sounds so awful on paper.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember back in the day halloween before u had to be all careful, just packs of children roaming the dark streets, all around the neighborhoods all hopped up on sugar with absolutely zero parental supervision.

Our costumes all smelled like whatever incredibly toxic material they were made of.

No flashlights, nothing reflective, just running around being lured in to strange adults houses by candy.

It's never been huge here in Australia. Maybe with Halloween being in spring with daylight savings. So ToTing in the dark would be quite late

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
It's never been huge here in Australia. Maybe with Halloween being in spring with daylight savings. So ToTing in the dark would be quite late
I actually find that surprising. North american halloween is all based on english (or rather european) traditions. I wouldve thought australias link to that would be even stronger. Surprising.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Whats christmas like there? There is a way different vibe between xmas in say florida versus up north, ive always found anyway.

(I luv xmas palm trees btw)

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Whats christmas like there? There is a way different vibe between xmas in say florida versus up north, ive always found anyway.

(I luv xmas palm trees btw)
usually temps in the high 90s F

so, we have similar meals, often a family lunch. But for lots of people it is outdoor barbeques. And apparently our tendency to eat lots of shrimp, lobster etc at christmas is not so common OS

things like light displays on houses mostly have certain suburbs or streets that have lots. And people drive families down those particular streets

the fire department have people dress in santa garb christmas eve, and drive slow through the suburbs handing out candy

it is mostly secular, but an excuse to gather family together

workplaces usually have a dinner early december, they might do a kris kringle where everybody draws names from a hat and buys 1 gift, so everyone gets one. And christmas bonuses vary a lot

the 26th (boxing day) is the biggest cricket test match of the year, so lots parked in front of tv eating leftovers

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Icky day, if cooler. Was 69F early this morning and should have a high around 83...not bad there.
AQI is shitty though...all that smoke from wildfires all across the West. Mily isn't happy about it either.

This is from the closest air monitoring station to me...

Screenshot from 2022-09-12 10-15-07.png

Woke up with itchy scratchy eyes, throat, etc. Not much I can do about it. I do have allergy pills, but don't like taking them unless i have too.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Icky day, if cooler. Was 69F early this morning and should have a high around 83...not bad there.
AQI is shitty though...all that smoke from wildfires all across the West. Mily isn't happy about it either.

This is from the closest air monitoring station to me...

View attachment 197046

Woke up with itchy scratchy eyes, throat, etc. Not much I can do about it. I do have allergy pills, but don't like taking them unless i have too.
Ehh, its just air...nothing too important 😀

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Yep... good memories! Lots of home-made costumes too.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still getting stuff ready for the Haunted House the police department from the next town over puts on every Halloween. They ain't setting up the stuff in the building yet, but costuming can be done before then. I had more work to do to get my werewolf mask working correctly, since the mouth opens and closes. Under all the latex and fur is hard plastic and padding. It took a few more days to make the mouth move easier, and then add adjustable straps inside the mask for a good fit.

IMG_20220912_195826.jpg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

894b4327d7e12f5316d88bf6ab942597.jpg
c37cd36ffe22c6a5dfa5fe5e922ee6ac.jpg
2c770699af65b2315091b4404e90de0c.jpg
23562040c1fbc59f8e5365c9a1a8dfbd.jpg
3abcf62f994effbfe390c19d1f4e1a66.jpg
080c3447c56e88aa38e902c857524d87.jpg
97c17e3262652acfa955ffdce337c18d.jpg
966dce390b4f2246314199a71834b770.jpg
f5725142f676a9a95c5cc4e3b681354c.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ha, I love irony...

My Seahawks are playing a huge DIvision rival in the SF 49ers today. We'd beat our former QB and the Broncos in our first game of the year, but have struggled in this one even though Trey Lance got hurt and is out...

We were down 20-0 at the half. (o)_o

Then it started raining in SF....

In our natural element now...we blocked a '49s 3pt try and ran it back for a touchdown. Game on.

Helllz yeah....seahawk_thm_up.png

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We sucked.

But, a lively game here....not sayin' how that ended..but holy ****

20220918_164253~2.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ending the football day with a classic...Packers vs Green Bay...yay!! :D
Cooking half of a frozen rising crust cheese pizza for dinner....with added smoked sausage, ripe red jalapenos, and shallots. With extra Mozz.

It's done...not bad for $4. Well, $2 since it's only half the original pizza. ;)

20220918_173958~2.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cooler now here, I like it. Hard to believe it's almost Fall.

It is less smokey out too although I still have seasonal allergies going...nothing big... just itchy scratchy feeling eyes, sinus, throat, that sort of thing.

Gotta get up early tomorrow to apply for Fall/Winter Energy Assistance...especially since rent goes to $850 next month and I'll be fully dependent on Fam to help pay bills with $11 after rent.

No word back from the rent assitance folks....I got my application in on the last day it was open, so not a lot of hope getting funds even though I am elegible for sure. I'm literally around HALF of poverty level for a 50+ single male in my County.

I don't heat the living room in winter at all...that'd be like $150/mo just for that cavernous room. So, that breaker is shut off. "Vampire heat" from the other Apts. won't let it ever actually freeze or anything.
I'm good to like -50F with the gear I have, but gotta be mindful of Milly. She has hella thick fur, but also a history of URIs and we don't want that.

We just retreat into the bedroom with its smaller baseboard and are comfy...except now I have no furniture in there except the headboard...that's a problem.

I got like $30 staying in the bank just in case...cannot have any $50 overdraft fees...from both the vendor AND the bank. Back to rolling up change again...yay...

mon-planning.png

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
So i'm watching the new hellboy movie, with the new professor..awesome actor..but wtf no ron pearlman?

I dont like this new guy, i dunno why, just not as good...

Im almost mad at the movie for it

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So i'm watching the new hellboy movie, with the new professor..awesome actor..but wtf no ron pearlman?

I dont like this new guy, i dunno why, just not as good...

Im almost mad at the movie for it
I'm confused...a new one isn't supposed to be out yet FAIK and most likey never will be....unless you mean the 2019 one. Which pretty much flopped. :(

List:

A good article about the movies. :)

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I'm confused...a new one isn't supposed to be out yet FAIK and most like never will be....unless you mean the 2019 one. Which pretty much flopped. :(

List:

A good article about the movies. :)
Yeah, i guess, whichever one is on hbo
I cant tell if its because the acting, or the fact that its different

[HASH=564412]#bringbackhellboy[/HASH] lol

Edit-wow its coming up on 20 years ago, seems like yesterday

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, i guess, whichever one is on hbo
I cant tell if its because the acting, or the fact that its different

[HASH=564412]#bringbackhellboy[/HASH] lol

Edit-wow its coming up on 20 years ago, seems like yesterday
Yeah, the first two were del Toro products and had the best cast, including Perlman. Hellboy III was an attempt at a reboot and it was weak by comparison. I watched it, but it was kinda Meh...

This pretty well sums it it up:

Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen was initially planned to be a sequel to Hellboy II: The Golden Army but Guillermo del Toro wasn’t offered to direct it and Ron Perlman refused to return to his role without del Toro, the movie was reclassified as a reboot instead. Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen underwent some major technical changes, it was directed by Neil Marshal and David Harbour took on the role of a Hellboy starring in the movie along with Milla Jovovich and Ian McShane.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, this came across my news articles, and made me sad. :(

Not only was I taught to write both in speed-print for notes, technical drawings and the like, but penmanship was an early teaching as well. I still have my birth dad's "doctor scrawl" sort of handwriting, but am capable of decent longhand if needed. Hell, I took Calligraphy in Jr. High. Argh.

For me, keyboarding in HS was on an the beastly IBM Selectric....ya wore earplugs in THAT class...lol...

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, this came across my news articles, and made me sad. :(

Not only was I taught to write both in speed-print for notes, technical drawings and the like, but penmanship was an early teaching as well. I still have my birth dad's "doctor scrawl" sort of handwriting, but am capable of decent longhand if needed. Hell, I took Calligraphy in Jr. High. Argh.

For me, keyboarding in HS was on an the beastly IBM Selectric....ya wore earplugs in THAT class...lol...
did your school do pen license for when you competent enough to move up from pencil? i was 3rd in my class

VU Sponsors