Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I think some day when I'm a grownup, I'd like a partner...but just not all the bleh. If that makes sense.
I'm only 57..I got 40-50 years yet....

:D
marriage i believe is like taking a bath, once your in, its not so hot. i think that it takes away the mystery in a way, instead of not knowing how your date will look when they turn up takes one element away, everybody has their own rituals they go through every day because that's just you. intertwining those with another is weird. someone's tastes will change whether that is tv, music, reading, eating, style of dress etc.
its sad in some ways when two become one as the beautiful mystery can disappear or lose some magic.
getting married is nowhere what it used to be and indeed is that a bad thing?
marriage between a man and woman has gone due to the fact there are so many same sex marriages the whole idea of marriage ha been lost.
i believe yes sharing your life with someone does give benefits and happiness, but i alsobelieve you and yourself need time alone.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I would get married if I could convince that special someone that you can have a marriage with separate residences. So far nobody I have loved would accept that theory.
that is perfect as is keeping your parents name. you should have your own family name. believe me, after my divorce i hate the fact that she has my surname so much. you should always have your personal habits/secrets you do not want to be taken over.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
that is perfect as is keeping your parents name. you should have your own family name. believe me, after my divorce i hate the fact that she has my surname so much. you should always have your personal habits/secrets you do not want to be taken over.

Men always get to keep their name, but women have to change the drivers license, the passport, the credit cards. And then after the divorce, all over again, unless there are kids, in which case the woman will prefer to keep her married name so it will be the same as her children.

Marriage is just a racket of church approval and government paper, when it comes right down to it. There was a time in distant history when the woman and her dowry of cows simply traveled to the man's home, and everybody had a party.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Men always get to keep their name, but women have to change the drivers license, the passport, the credit cards. And then after the divorce, all over again, unless there are kids, in which case the woman will prefer to keep her married name so it will be the same as her children.

Marriage is just a racket of church approval and government paper, when it comes right down to it. There was a time in distant history when the woman and her dowry of cows simply traveled to the man's home, and everybody had a party.
like most things are when you involve the church

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't have a KC Chiefs shirt for tonight's MNF game, so I made one using my Dale Earnhardt shirt. Just temporarily of course. (it's the only red shirt I own...LOL)

20231120_161645~2.jpg

It's a logo I printed out on regular paper, cut out, and stuck on with duct tape. 😝

Not bad for a few minutes work. 👍🏈🤓

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
like most things are when you involve the church
i find the marriage situation weird. i mean 60-70% end in divorce and they would end earlier as couples who are over each other just prolong it for the sake of their children. it is yet another occasion that has been evolved into a government money machine, taxes change, living arrangements change, liabilities alter. when i was married i did not know any divorced people, and i think that is because people just feel strange if they visit a single person. now i see/know more divorced people than i do married people.
living together gives you the same settlements as marriage does as in de-facto laws. but even as people who know me will know i am anti religious, i still believe that modern times where any mix of people can get married then it has devalued marriage. no before you start is 2 men or 2 women get married, i do not care a bit. whatever i think about that scenario stays with me,
its just a different world that a lot of people, myself included, find totally difficult to live in, there are too many plastic people around, you cannot say anything without wondering how others will take it, there are no longer only males and females, to some thats good, to others its not, one thing i realised quickly, is that there not many females around. i say this purely as i put to test what somebody mentioned, if you go to or stand outside say a major shopping centre/mall. count ant figure lets say 50 females between ages say 20-60. tell me how many wear a skirt/dress? to me a plain lady in a skirt is far more pleasing than say a model wearing jeans and a tee shirt.
i would help any female in trouble and assist any female of any age if i could help them. i just jotted this down as something i feel has made a change in society that seems a shame.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Happy Thanksgivin to everyone here

cae4b38d9fac7d020ff318fcf5aeb73a.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i am english but i live in australia. this thanksgiving seems to be a huge thing in usa, is it a public holiday?

Thanksgiving is a traditional day for getting together with the famdamily to have dinner table brawls over politics and religion.

Just kidding (but not really). That's what all the holidays are for.

Here's the summary:

It's a very popular holiday here in the US. Many workplaces will allow time off on the Friday after the official holiday, so for many people Thanksgiving is a four day weekend.

So even if perhaps overly focused on food and even gluttony, and like many things overly commercialized, Thanksgiving is a rare opportunity to rest and take stock of the goodness of the people, the blessings and successes in your life. Because it is a holiday of gratitude, people like it that you don't have to be of any particular religion or doctrine to have a thankful attitude.

On this day in particular I deeply mourn the genocide against the native Americans of this continent by onslaught from western Europe.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This was our first Thanksgiving without family. We usually had it at my sister's house, but she had some bullshit excuse. Probably so she can get in line for Black Friday shopping. Yeas, she is a Karen, and yes she is that vain. It was OK tho because we had our meal with duck instead of turkey. Later, the neighbor we had been helping out came by with presents, including a gift card to Texas Roadhouse. We'll use it for hubby's birthday coming up in just a few days.

Life is good when you count your blessings instead of your disappointments.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mate, thank you for the answer, in regards to pissing people off, that happens these days if you just say good morning! our world is full of myths, not long until the next one.
Well, OK, I'll give the pot a little stir I suppose...
Real History of Thanksgiving

Also, from a Washington Post article:
"To celebrate its first success as a colony, the Pilgrims had a “harvest feast” that became the basis for what’s now called Thanksgiving.
The Wampanoags weren’t invited.
Ousamequin and his men showed up only after the English in their revelry shot off some of their muskets. At the sound of gunfire, the Wampanoags came running, fearing they were headed to war."

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanksgiving is a traditional day for getting together with the famdamily to have dinner table brawls over politics and religion.

Just kidding (but not really). That's what all the holidays are for.

Here's the summary:

It's a very popular holiday here in the US. Many workplaces will allow time off on the Friday after the official holiday, so for many people Thanksgiving is a four day weekend.

So even if perhaps overly focused on food and even gluttony, and like many things overly commercialized, Thanksgiving is a rare opportunity to rest and take stock of the goodness of the people, the blessings and successes in your life. Because it is a holiday of gratitude, people like it that you don't have to be of any particular religion or doctrine to have a thankful attitude.

On this day in particular I deeply mourn the genocide against the native Americans of this continent by onslaught from western Europe.

I was alone with cat. A nice holiday....watching football.
Got a spiffy freebie dinner though. MIlly liked the turkey A LOT.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, OK, I'll give the pot a little stir I suppose...
Real History of Thanksgiving

Also, from a Washington Post article:
"To celebrate its first success as a colony, the Pilgrims had a “harvest feast” that became the basis for what’s now called Thanksgiving.
The Wampanoags weren’t invited.
Ousamequin and his men showed up only after the English in their revelry shot off some of their muskets. At the sound of gunfire, the Wampanoags came running, fearing they were headed to war."

That's not really stirring the pot.

I did enjoy reading the article you linked, including the native American resources linked in it.

There is a movement afoot to destroy the history of Thanksgiving, IMO, as a part of the ongoing icon smashing, as a part of revising all American history to paint us as evil and bad, and get us at each others throats. Yes, we are evil and bad, but we are good and generous too, and the people of a country are usually not the same as the leadership of a country. In the PBS presentation the pilgrims were described as "separatists" but in the Mayflower Compact they swore allegiance to the king of England.

I think there is only this one source document pertaining to the first Thanksgiving of the colonists, a letter from one of the attendees:

It is at great variance with the destructive inaccuracies of the PBS documentary on the early colonists, and this newly introduced idea that there weren't any native Americans at the first Thanksgiving. I used to love PBS and NPR, but I have a couple of examples, which I won't get into here, of the year when I distinctly noticed they'd turned into quieter, less overtly commercial versions of the mainstream media.

There are those who say that most of the history we are taught is lies. I somewhat agree, but my theory about the nature of the "feasting" at that first Thanksgiving came from a 1951 book I have, "Cherokee Cooklore" which says:

"They relished fresh meat, after days without it, but they put aside a thrifty portion to be cured or dried for use at a time when fresh meat was not available. Gluttony was not a habit to foster, when there were always lean days ahead." Then it has a long description of how corn was boiled, then dried over slow fires, for storage, to be used later in all sorts of ways.

I can certainly believe some of the native Americans helped the pilgrims, and as it says in the article you linked, with the hope of getting help and protection against a rival tribe. The first nations of north America had vast knowledge of plant medicines, agriculture, hunting and gathering, building and boat making. The pilgrims will have arrived with some of those skills, but facing a different group of plants for food and medicines, different soil, unfamiliar resources, wildlife and dangers.

In the end, Thanksgiving is a holiday I really believe in, for now if not for the time, place and reasons when it allegedly began, though I have no excuse or justification to offer for the unmitigaged genocide against the natives who already lived here when this continent was "discovered" by Europeans.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This was our first Thanksgiving without family. We usually had it at my sister's house, but she had some bullshit excuse. Probably so she can get in line for Black Friday shopping. Yeas, she is a Karen, and yes she is that vain. It was OK tho because we had our meal with duck instead of turkey. Later, the neighbor we had been helping out came by with presents, including a gift card to Texas Roadhouse. We'll use it for hubby's birthday coming up in just a few days.

Life is good when you count your blessings instead of your disappointments.

Duck, yummm.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Kinda bleh....it's Sunday and lots of football is on, but nearly every team is under .500 and the only 10AM game I wanna see is out of market here.

Screenshot from 2023-11-26 09-30-09.png

So, streaming Jags-Texans via a TV station in Texas. ;)

Also, I just went to make a sandwich...all my bread is moldy except the sourdough rounds...put those in the small freezer just now. I give up.

My guess it is because the kitchen cupboard I use for it is adjoining the backside of the shower...probably mold in the walls. Bathroom has no heat or vent fan...so where does all that moisture go, eh? Derrr....

I can't afford tossing $4-5 loaves of SF Sourdough and Pumpernickel Rye bread every month because this POS "senior community" building was built shoddy back in 2004 as part of a huge $6.6B 'downtown revitalization' project. That much money in play, ya know most of it didn't get spent on good building materials. Appliances and fixtures are pretty here, but are all low-end GE crap..etc..etc.

Example: my brand-new GE fridge can barely keep consistent fridge temps at below 40F in a 70F room. That is :bs:

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Another example.

I keep my onions and shallots in the slow-cooker with the lid slightly cracked for ventilation. Need to keep them out of the way of Milly and in a dry place...it's worked for me just fine for years.

Just went to use my last bulb of shallots...it looked fine from the outside. Not squishy.

20231126_102840.jpg

Black mold on the inside. WTF?

Yes, I washed it thoroughly with Dawn, it'll be ok...just frustrating. Not like I can just walk down the street and buy veggies anymore....miles away to get 'em.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
One of my dearest friends came over for dinner last night. I invited her because I found out she's in the midst of a painful divorce. She started crying when she told me about it, so I wanted to pamper her. I asked what she wanted to eat, and she said she didn't have much appetite, but hadn't had seafood in a while.

For supreme pampering I wanted lobster tails, but they were sold out at two stores, so I bought wild Argentine red shrimp. They're dinky, 30-40 per pound, but the flavor is exceptional. I made us a little surf & turf with flank steak and the shrimp. I'm showing it on my big serving platter.

View attachment 210793

I baked up a loaf of organic take & bake sourdough. The two little pitchers in the background were so we could each have one filled with melted butter to drizzle on the shrimp and the bread. The spring mix gave us a nominal veg element. I was wishing I'd gotten some premium kettle chips as a casual side. Instead I cooked some baby potatoes I had in the freezer (not shown). For dessert we had mango sorbet with fresh mint leaves. We washed it all down with my go-to libation, a bottle of Prosecco.

View attachment 210794

I put a bouquet of roses next to her in the living room, red for love and pain, which I sent home with her. They kept Latin American countries under the Coofid lockdown for a year longer than we took it here in the US, so many food and flower farmers lost their businesses, but still the amazingly inexpensive flowers are returning to the stores these days. The two dozen roses were only 23.00, and the fragrance filled my whole apartment. I also made her take home the leftovers.

View attachment 210795

It was all for pampering, and the opportunity to sit and talk. I wanted her to feel loved, to feel deserving of love, and to know the sun will someday rise again in her life. Calories are not the best way to comfort someone. Many of us struggle with the fustercluck of food, emotions and body image, myself included, but she doesn't, so she ate by appetite, not by emotion. Now me, I nearly had to tie myself down.
so nice of you to do that

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also, I just went to make a sandwich...all my bread is moldy except the sourdough rounds...put those in the small freezer just now. I give up.
I just find that good fresh bread molds quickly because of its moisture. I keep it in the freezer, but my newest discovery, which is going to be a repeat purchase definitely, is the organic take & bake they sell at Costco, the only organic t&b I've seen. I bought a box of three loaves. Made one last night. The other two are in the freezer.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Not much going on here, It's too cold! I have a few errands to run but maybe wait and see if it warms up a bit. I have inside stuff to do like make some coils!

Son-in-law is gone for a month to Ohio. I'm on cat-duty for 3 furries. Food, water, boxes and cuddles. He did get the plastic up on my windows before he left! Very grateful, helps cut the drafts. We did a small Thanksgiving dinner together that was fun.

Jessie is getting lazy. I bought a laser light to get her moving more and she likes it! She needs help with some grooming, getting out a few knots in her fur. She is such a sweetie.

Stay happy, healthy and warm :hug: :inlove:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi, everyone!

Still not much happening here. I did get some juice mixed and washed a few bottles. I cleaned out more of my filing cabinet, more shredding to do! We're having some cold nights, some down to 21*! I'm not a cold weather fan.

How are you guys doing? What have you been up to? Are you ready for Christmas?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi, everyone!

Still not much happening here. I did get some juice mixed and washed a few bottles. I cleaned out more of my filing cabinet, more shredding to do! We're having some cold nights, some down to 21*! I'm not a cold weather fan.

How are you guys doing? What have you been up to? Are you ready for Christmas?

I was reorganizing my kitchen, which somehow led to emptying out a closet to fill a charity box and reorganize the closet too, so now I have closet contents all over the floor, and the kitchen still has clusters of cans, bottles and dishes all over, waiting to be organized. I don't know how these things happen, but I'm not mad.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's the beginning of pecan harvest, and the squirrels are doing their best to hoard as much as they can. Fortunately, my dog is faster than they are. He catches more tree rats than my traps do. I know of 4 he caught so far. He was in the middle of eating the last one when I walked out into the back yard today to pick up pecans. I bought him a big box of milk bone treats today.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
fun with pictures

I found a picture of a cool looking car on FB, with a driver that just so happens to look exactly like my dear hubby. I decided he can have fun with it, teasing some of his buddies, so i sent it to his Messenger.
First thing he did was tease his boss with it, saying the car is his "weekend driver".

FB_IMG_1701885383271.jpg

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I bought a new horn for my little pickup truck off Amazon, since the stock horn sounds like "dying Yugo". Since the new horn will not fit where the stock horn is, I needed to mount it behind the air intake.
While I had the grill off, I thought I'd take a preventive measure. Since the highways around here are always undergoing some kind of maintenance, there is always loose gravel somewhere, just begging to be thrown through the air by someone's tires. I attached steel fireplace screen to the backside of the grill, to protect the radiator.
Hubby will finish up hooking up the new horn tomorrow.

20231227_153645.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW...I just tried using this site with Waterfox G6.0.7 (64-bit), and it (bleep) flies...it's been bogging using latest FF.

I'm streaming 720p right now in another tab and neither it nor VU are lagging. And I have uBlock Origin on.

Same Internet connection, same Linux PC running off SSD with 32GB of RAM...it wasn't me. ;-P

No, I don't use Chrome or Edge.

iu

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What distro? Just curious
This: https://www.linuxmint.com/

It is a Debian based 'thang with Ubuntu ties, but just works...polished UI, no fuckery.
I used to play with distros, compile shit...etc. I helped beta test running VPS servers on Redhat back in the 90s...ever edit http.conf by hand...for seven websites? Fuck that...lol...

Yes, I can get newer version files than *slow* official repos...der.
I'm old and dont care. I just want shit to work.

Yes, I use VPN's...
Ya know the saying...Debian in the desktop, BSD in the back..lol...
t1507.gif

Last edited:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This: https://www.linuxmint.com/

It is a Debian based 'thang with Ubuntu ties, but just works...polished UI, no fuckery.
I used to play with distros, compile shit...etc. I helped beta test running VPS servers on Redhat back in the 90s...ever edit http.conf by hand...for seven websites? Fuck that...lol...

Yes, I can get newer version files than *slow* official repos...der.
I'm old and dont care. I just want shit to work.

Yes, I use VPN's...
Ya know the saying...Debian in the desktop, BSD in the back..lol...
t1507.gif
Yep, I've used Mint, it's very nice. Several years ago I played around with Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, some Red Hat variant I no longer remember the name of. My favorite to just use was Mint. My favorite to play with was Arch. Arch was a good distro if you wanted to tinker, learn, of course compile pretty much everything, etc (at least back 8 or 10 years ago when last I played with it) but Mint is great for the "whole everything just works" deal. Been planning to turn an old obsolete laptop into a Linux machine and was thinking I'd probably go with Mint for that exact reason.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I've used Mint, it's very nice. Several years ago I played around with Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, some Red Hat variant I no longer remember the name of. My favorite to just use was Mint. My favorite to play with was Arch. Arch was a good distro if you wanted to tinker, learn, of course compile pretty much everything, etc (at least back 8 or 10 years ago when last I played with it) but Mint is great for the "whole everything just works" deal. Been planning to turn an old obsolete laptop into a Linux machine and was thinking I'd probably go with Mint for that exact reason.
I tend to run older hardware...that I built.
IMO, my FX cpu still r0x at 4.0 ghz with a 700 series EVGA Geforce GPU in a Fractal case, is all I need.
Not a gamer.

Run it on SSD, lotta RAM, big spinning rust for backups and etc. Good.
Apple has nothing on our Timeshift either...heheh

You may like the Debian version too....

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
MNF on a SATURDAY!!!!

With Cat....my 10 pound baby hellcat....look at those eyes...
Anyone else tries that shit, she'd shred them.

We have earned each other's trust.
Through COVID, through facing being priced out and possible homelessness...
We endure.

We love. She is all I have., but it is enough.

I earned a broken cat's trust as a broken human....we are Well Met...
For life....we are soulmates now.

20231230_171518~2.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors