Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning -

I'm sorry that I haven't been posting, but I have been reading.

I've had 5 major losses in 18 months, all closest to my heart. I'm getting help, which is hard for me to ask for, and it's slowly working. I'm trying to focus on all the love and good memories, being grateful that they were in my life.

You all here, and my other vaping friends, are a big part of my days. I'm very glad to be able to come here and spend time with you all.

Stay happy and healthy :inlove:
Had to log in just to give ya a hug....

Big-Hearts-Deserve-Big-Hugs.jpg

I feel ya..lost two grammas, my uncle, and my Tiki in about the same space of time. Then, got priced out of my building and fled to another corner of the state where I can afford to live. It's a brand new life in a new place...had to leave most of my stuff behind...my comfy leather couch, the 1962 solid teak dining set, everything in the fridge/freezer...

It is scary to undergo so much change and uncertainty
but it isn't all bad...we survive, eh?

Sitting on the floor now on my late g-ma's 1970s furry orange cushion as a chair, sipping iced coffee and watching football with my Milly....we're good. :)

Millly says hi too... xD

20230730_183216.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PS...I did bring ALL of my vape stuff...including the armageddon nic stash which will keep me going for a couple decades, my computers, kitchen stuff, etc...

And, the big coffee table...its very useful to hide the vapes in....it's a 55+ no-smoking building. ;)

Be Well...

Attachments

• IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
PS...I did bring ALL of my vape stuff...including the armageddon nic stash which will keep me going for a couple decades, my computers, kitchen stuff, etc...

And, the big coffee table...its very useful to hide the vapes in....it's a 55+ no-smoking building. ;)

Be Well...
@CaFF I'm glad things are improving for you and Milly! I was worried when you were having housing problems and we didn't hear from you.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Be Well...
Caff!

I'm so glad to see you again! Yes, we've been worried about you. Moving is hard, physically, financially and emotionally. I'm happy that you are getting settled in. Glad, too, that you have the most important stuff! Milly looks pretty comfortable and content.

Thanks for the hugs, sending some back to you. Life can be hard sometimes but friends are gold.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After a record number of heat and no rain days, we finally got some rain this morning...along with thunder and lightning. Milly slept through it... 😼

20230825_062529.jpg

Was nice though, took some of the gunk outa the air and we both feel better. But, it's gonna be in the 90s for the weekend....again.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Doing alright, still near 90F today, but cooler weather is coming.
Watching Golf before today's Football...Milly ate All of The Things and is power napping.

20230827_113235.jpg

Sunlight washed out the photo a bit, she ain't that light-coloured...lol...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Trying out Waterfox browser on Linux again after a long absence.
Just needed a spare/alternate browser for testing, when FF decides not to load a site, etc.

Working nicely so far...it loads this rather heavy site faaast. 🤓

Screenshot from 2023-08-28 14-36-26.png

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I gotta get used to the fact i am at like 60 feet above sea level...not 1700+...and 400mi south.
Its weird. I knew this area in the 80s-90s...it aint that anymore.

It's ok..me best buddy here thus far is 77yo...shes a firecracker who seemingly knows everything. Taught me how to use the transit lines to get to stores, etc. She rocks. We text...lol...

PS...elderly tenant i met in the lobby today, we got to chatting...she only gets like 10-12 OTA channels...shes been using ancient rabbit ears on a new tv. SMH!

I told her about using an amplified RCA HD antenna...I get like 52 channels.

She was happy. Funny how a $25 bit of gear could change someone's life...

This is the way...:)

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I gotta get used to the fact i am at like 60 feet above sea level...not 1700+...and 400mi south.
Its weird. I knew this area in the 80s-90s...it aint that anymore.

It's ok..me best buddy here thus far is 77yo...shes a firecracker who seemingly knows everything. Taught me how to use the transit lines to get to stores, etc. She rocks. We text...lol...

PS...elderly tenant i met in the lobby today, we got to chatting...she only gets like 10-12 OTA channels...shes been using ancient rabbit ears on a new tv. SMH!

I told her about using an amplified RCA HD antenna...I get like 52 channels.

She was happy. Funny how a $25 bit of gear could change someone's life...

This is the way...:)
Glad things are working out for you and Milly. Sounds like those ladies are going to be looking out for the youngster... 🤣

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

It's back to breaking heat temperature records again, getting tired of it. I feel so bad for those that have to work in it. Of course I'll complain of the cold come winter, lol.

Jessie is now addicted to silvervine? sticks. She received a pack of 4 as a gift. Thinks she's a kitten, rolling around, throwing it in the air, etc. Lots of fun to watch.

I'm still putting along. Same old, right?

Stay healthy and safe :inlove::hug:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Hiils are Alive...

With the sound of Football....😜🏈👍

That ancient Altec Lansing 2.1 surround sound of mine from 1995 saved my sanity....it has two inputs.... I'd never tried it before, but I can put BOTH the newer TV and and newer PC on it.... it works. So, I can have good sound on OTA TV and on streaming from the PC. Yayyyyyyy!! 😄

Before, I had to use a complicated setup for the big Jensen speakers and Yamaha A/V amp....from 1994. It's not as good, but for this smaller apartment, it's more than good.

The Akai HDTV has great 2.1 ported bass reflex speakers w/ subwoofer sound of it's own, so it's fine....and does PC or OTA both.

Geekery FTW!!! 🤓🤘🔊

Attachments

• 20230909_100951~2.jpg
    20230909_100951~2.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 1

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Dish...Drier?

Since I don't make many dirty dishes with just me here, I still wash by hand as I go. It's just easier and more efficient IMO. I use the same utensils and plates, bowls, etc. over and over again.

But, I got the idea from a friend here to use the dishwasher as a big drying rack since I don't have one, or the counter space for one. Works pretty well...just leave the door ajar a bit. 🤓 👍

Attachments

• 20230910_064710~2.jpg
    20230910_064710~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It took awhile and a lot of stress...but I GOT A COUCH AGAIN.

It's a big deal for us...Milly and I kinda lived on the couch, snuggling, sleeping, watching tv/sports/etc...without one, we're kinda adrift. She has her beds, her areas, and I had the floor...

I got one on OfferUp...a nice IKEA in beautiful condition...for $130 delivered and the guy even helped me carry it up to my Apt. (yes, I have an elevator!)

I'm proud of myself...not used to being on my own...no fam to help, etc. But, I'm doing it...at 57. :)

20230915_115453~2.jpg
20230915_104807.jpg

I'm adulting now?! 🤪

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If ya wondered how big of a deal having a couch again is for us...how's this?

I woke up like 4am to take a leak and Milly wasn't in either of her beds, or with me in the actual bed.
I found her like this...sleeping by herself....on the new couch. First time in a very long time, and definitely since we got here, that she's done that at night. She's being a more content kitty, just like that. 😸

She's not been as merrowing or yowl-ey either...<whew>

20230916_041651.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Figured out how to have the old but awesome Akai HDTV and the KB/Mouse for it's computer where it can be seen and used with the new couch setup...without getting glare from the window.

I don't have any end tables or such anymore, so I just put the 40lb beasty on an old ice chest and angled it so I can watch a game on it while still being comfy watching the main TV/monitor. The kb/mouse sits tucked into it's base when not in use so Milly isn't as temped to go after them.

The big flat arm of the couch works nicely as a 'desk' when I do need to use them. 🤓
Watching football in multi-tasking style again... ;)

For the eagle-eyes who notice the vents behind the coffee table and TV....yes, I'll have to move everything a bit father out when the heat eventually has to come on...but we don't really get real winter here.

20230915_184101~2.jpg

20230915_170044~3.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I'm still awake at 6:42AM...

Because I'm eating a nice hearty bowl of beef/veggie stew mixed with my brown rice/quinoa stuff and some herbed croutons while I watch news. Breakfast is whatever you make of it...lol...
For some reason, I really like a soup/stew for breakfast some days....especially on chilly mornings.

And, because the onslaught of football starts at 9am...:xD:

The CFL is on today too...the playoffs race is on...and my BC Lions play today. bc-lions.png

Screenshot from 2023-09-16 06-55-39.png

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Hope you all are doing well and feeling happy! It's a good day here so far, doors open and Jessie is flopped on her back. She's feeling good after I brushed her. I need to get ready to do my walking, then off for a few errands. Then I get to listen to my books while I get some chores done. Sure makes doing them more enjoyable! On book 47 of a 56 book series...

Stay safe and healthy :hug::inlove:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Glad to hear you are doing well Miss!!

My BC Lions shirt is traveling nicely... should be here the 21st...😆

Love my Walmart Neighborhood Market...took the Vine rapid transit bus there today for some things I'd found I didn't have...

I found a big 9.5L bucket for mopping and a faux Swiffer 3pak of dusters...I have a Milly...I need them. 😛

Glass coffee table + multiple PCs and displays + fur = 🤪
Keyboard is ancient and just needs a bath..lol...

20230919_172456.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's that time of year again...Fall weather is coming in soon here. I like it. :D
We badly need the rains..it's been unusually dry this year....lotta fires.

Screenshot from 2023-09-21 10-59-17.png

Dug out the light bedspread today...Milly approved and rolled around on it...but still likes her bed. 😼

20230921_105544.jpg

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got my first harvest of the year done today. My mesquite tree that first sprouted in 2012 has finally produced enough bean pods to collect. Last year, it made it's very first pods, and there were 3 of them. This year, it made 2.7 pounds of them. They are used in smokers for a more flavorful meat.

It will still be at least another month and a half before pecan harvesting begins. Too bad I can't just go collect them all at once. Oh no... half will still be in the trees after the buyers stop purchasing on March 1st.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That shirt I snagged for $10 on eBay, I found out why it looked so good. It's brand new...never been worn....even has the CFL authentication tag still on it. 😄

20230921_162622~2.jpg 20230921_162647~2.jpg

And it came in time for the BC game this weekend. Freekin' awesome. :cool:

It's a Youth size XL (18)...which fits me perfectly now that's I'm not 155lb anymore.
Left my bathroom scale at the old place, so I don't know how much I weigh now...it was an old and rare Texas Instruments beasty from the 80s...miss that big metal thing.

This is a 4yo photo, but ya get the idea:
rnUQlEnl.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice weather today...I like the Fall...not hot nor cold...ahhhh...

FWIW, there are too many football games on today...and that is just the Top-25 teams.
(Yes, the screenshot from Firefox is frelled...meh.)

Huge games on..most all my PAC-12 teams are doing well and I have clear favorites...but how do I decide between rooting for Coach Prime's Buffaloes VS my Ducks? Hell, I've been to Eugene...my cousin played football for the Ducks and is now a Professor there...

Not to mention the Beavers vs WSU...I've spent a lot of time there too...almost moved to Pullman. 🤨

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 10-04-53 College Football Scores - 2023 Season - ESPN.png

And there is a CFL dbl-header on later too...🤯

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm proud of myself...not used to being on my own...no fam to help, etc. But, I'm doing it...at 57. :)

Will soon be in a similar boat at age 51, cat included. I and wife will be divorcing. She''l keep our dog, I get Milk Toof Murphy/Mammy.

364224683_3662993687264433_1916578832558916598_n.jpg

We joke that Mammy is stealing me. My wife has already found me a nice place, possibly. It is very close to the school I'll be working as custodian, and a Piggly Wiggly is nearby as well. The apartments are all first floor.

Guess in her own way, she's trying to make our splitting up a bit more accommodating for me. Told me I can take the recliner, a mattress and bed frame. Looking forward to some new adventure yet still a little nervous.

Figure Mammy will keep me in line. :)

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Things have started cooling down over here. Today's high was only 96°F, and the lawn is green and growing again. Today, I mowed the sections that were getting too tall.

Now, remember how I was mentioning that I live on the edge of a town with little over 2,000 residents, 1 grocery store, 2 intersections with stop lights... Well, now they are putting up a 35 room hotel just a block and a half from my house. I wonder how long after the grand opening that it will be just another abandoned vacant building. Imaging being there on a hot night with the AC going, and the fumes from some oil field 40 miles away come pouring in, burning your sinuses. We turn off our units at the first whiff of that.

At today's lumber prices, it just doesn't seem like a wise investment.

20230928_191202.jpg

Picture taken from my own front yard with my cell phone.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cool and rainy day...I like it...no heat nor fans needed.
Pretty good online shopping and football weather though. :)

Screenshot from 2023-10-02 15-28-35.png

Bought a 43oz bottle of VG for a decent price, also bought a 15lb bag of Milly's litter delivered free...no way I'm lugging THAT on a bus...even if I could find it in stores. AMZ is much cheaper, easier and stuff'll be here in two days. ;)

Just been puttering around..made breakfast, cleaned, did Milly chores, now waiting for the Seahawks game tonight on MNF.

seahawk_thm_up.png

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got a fancy new Taylor tempered glass digital scale good to 0.2 lb, only $20.
It's a light baby blue which matches pretty well with the blue floors here. (The pic with the weight readout has the better color representation)

Scary results.....yes I tested it twice...😲

Me: 123.6 lbs
Milly: 9.6 lbs

Now I know why none of my pants fit, and Milly is in great health....😆😸

Attachments

• 20231003_174619.jpg
    20231003_174619.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231003_174715.jpg
    20231003_174715.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty Shiny Things....

20231004_123859.jpg

My shiny stainless steel sink and brand new (it's cheep) faucet make me happy. 😎

Don't miss the white Formica counters and the ugly old chipped white ceramic-over-iron sink of my previous place.

I DO miss having a dbl-sink and a sprayer...but it's a much smaller apartment. Do like having a Garbage Disposal again though. 🙂

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Caff,

Love the color, but that's a bit concerning! Please take care, ok?
Understandable....I'm fine though.

I'm 5-3 and an ectomorph body type....plus born a preemie in the 60s at 31 weeks and 2.2lbs.
And have a very high metabolism.

So, my "normal" weight is kinda hard to peg.

In the 80-90s I was a semi-homeless heavy smoker, drinker, and etc. Since the 2000s I've been more stable, but that also lead to excesses. I got up to 155lbs at one point...that wasn't healthy.

BMI doesn't work on me...lol...

I'd say 125-130 is good...if I'm in shape.

FWIW.... finally found my sewing tape measure... measured on waistband of undies and it's 31". Which explains why my 32 pants are loose. The older 28-30" stuff seem to be ok. Lot depends on the style/cut of them too.....lots of "dad pants"... LOL...😎

I figure too....I'd not eaten much yesterday then walked nearly around the whole perimeter of downtown....then later did shopping and carried like 25lbs for a mile or so in warm weather.

I'm 124.5 lbs today....😄

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I get the BMI thing being off. Personally, I have very low body fat, and folk can never guess my weight correctly. Muscle weighs more than fat, since it is more dense. No, I don't work out. I don't eat much, but I eat healthy when I do.

But damn, CaFF... you are a lightweight. We are the same age, and I would be an Amazon warrior compared to you. Please take care of yourself, and eat some good healthy meals.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Thanks for the info, Caff, I'll stop worrying. Glad all is ok.

I'll be eating well today, it's my birthday! Son-in-law is taking me to the fancy steakhouse for dinner. I'll have a full tummy and leftovers, plus cheesecake. His birthday is in December so we'll do it again, lol.

The weather is cooling a bit, here and there. It's nice to have the doors open for fresh air. Jessie is trying to catch a fly that slipped in, good workout for her!

Stay safe and healthy, :hug::inlove:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Thanks for the info, Caff, I'll stop worrying. Glad all is ok.

I'll be eating well today, it's my birthday! Son-in-law is taking me to the fancy steakhouse for dinner. I'll have a full tummy and leftovers, plus cheesecake. His birthday is in December so we'll do it again, lol.

The weather is cooling a bit, here and there. It's nice to have the doors open for fresh air. Jessie is trying to catch a fly that slipped in, good workout for her!

Stay safe and healthy, :hug::inlove:
Will do...made a bunch of beans and rice and beans and lentils....see the food thread... ;)

Like this...

20231006_105612.jpg

20231006_165549.jpg

For this....

Screenshot from 2023-10-06 17-45-30.png

Oh, and NCAAF \ NFL this weekend also.

Bills are all paid, we're well fed, we have a couch and football, plus nice weather....we're good. :cool:😸🏈

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
... it's my birthday! Son-in-law is taking me to the fancy steakhouse for dinner. I'll have a full tummy and leftovers, plus cheesecake. His birthday is in December so we'll do it again, lol.
I'm sorry I missed your birthday misswish. In a thread like this one it's a random catch. Sometimes I think we should have a VU thread just for birthdays, anniversaries and other milestones (as we already have the vaperversary thread).

Anyway, glad you had a nice dinner out with family.

Wishing you many more happy birthdays.

1696656444150.png

🎂

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning peeps! :)

Waaay too early....especially after a multi OT college game last night...

20231007_232643_HDR.jpg

But, a pretty good NFL game from London. It started at 6:30 AM PST... o_0

Screenshot from 2023-10-08 08-19-19.png

Much coffee is required. :D

20231008_081956~2.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors