Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Life is like a box of chocolates.
Lots of them in there but few that you like.

I was thinking more like Monty Python and the cute little bunny :)

Looking forward to winter :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can this site get any fucking slower?? I'm on 25/5 cable with a 6-15ms ping to most of the planet. Fix yer shit.

Anyways...FOOTBALLL!!!

MADE PIZZA:

Sausage and Fresh Mushrooms on Sharp cheddar/Peccorino cheeses on a Bruschetta-sauced crust with Mexican Oregano.

Now back to BEER and FOOTBALL!!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mosquitoes are horrible here right now all day long...
And the 90 deg and 90% humidity instant sweat drench.
Exact same here. He bought a fogger and it's worked out pretty well, so far. He's outside with the dog right now, chillin with some game he plays. Notmally he'd be eaten alive in the first 10 minutes. They're bad at work, even. Not used to that.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's just not fair how good KC is....thank the gods we play the Falcons for an opener. ;)

IMG_20200910_194622.jpg

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They say that you never recover from working night shift, and I agree.

Or military 18 to 20 hour shifts. I had done "graveyard" prior to military but we only did 14 to 16 hour shifts. Been finally on rare occasions getting that 8 hours of sleep thing. Usually I'm lucky for 4 to 6.

Doc: "Sleeping?"

Me: "Hm."

Doc: "Well?"

Me: "*grumbles*"

Doc: "So you sleep, ..,"

Me: "When exhausted to point of passing out, wake up in a few hours. Go do stuff until ready to pass out again."

Doc: "You really ought to, ....*trailing off all drone like, hearing only 'blah,blah,blah'*"

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Now, THAT upsets me. I can't say in a public forum what I'd do to a crack dealer if I caught them in the act of selling to ANYONE, much less a minor. Yet they stand in their white t-shirts and dark jeans on street corners all over this country, the law knows who they are, and they operate with apparent impunity. Why is that, do you suppose?

**** ***** fund the C.I.A. The agency pretends to not act domestically so the police pretend not to see the "****" trade. Oh damn am I at a live keyboard? Shit, I ought not be rattling off such things.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The number of adults acting like adults these days sadly seems to be dwindling at an exponential rate. I dread the thought of the next generation.

And unfortunately our leadership is found wanting as well. No, not getting political. Merely expressing a commonly held opinion of some leaders.

Oh but our next generation is going to clean up the nuclear waste zone, erm Australia. They're gonna fix the hole/s(?) in the ozone by crying rivers of tears and insulting our generation. The next generation, don't you know, they're our best to come.

Truth is our generation was already too late to help clean stuff up, or curb any Earth destroying stuff. Guess we're still to blame though, we were the "youth gone wild" generation. Yeah, sure, fine.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Or military 18 to 20 hour shifts. I had done "graveyard" prior to military but we only did 14 to 16 hour shifts. Been finally on rare occasions getting that 8 hours of sleep thing. Usually I'm lucky for 4 to 6.

Doc: "Sleeping?"

Me: "Hm."

Doc: "Well?"

Me: "*grumbles*"

Doc: "So you sleep, ..,"

Me: "When exhausted to point of passing out, wake up in a few hours. Go do stuff until ready to pass out again."

Doc: "You really ought to, ....*trailing off all drone like, hearing only 'blah,blah,blah'*"
I was a shift worker at Melbourne Airport for 10 years as an equipment operator, forklifts, scissor lifts, pushout tugs, the lot. Started as a kid at 17. Then I did security night work crowd control, after that I was a Night Ranger on the Bellarine Peninsula watching and patrolling for illegal campers and trouble makers in the holiday spots.
Now years later I can say I still have not recovered. I used to have to wipe myself out to get some sleep. Especially the security stuff, early hours having to confront thugs and loonies wanting to hurt you and destroy things. AM hours hyped on adrenaline, was no other option to get any sleep.
These days I lay there listening to my radio talkback shows and stuff till I fall asleep. I used to fight it but now just roll with it.
It really messes you up huh!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It really messes you up huh!

Yep it seems to do it. I like binge shows. Can kick back, have them on as background, pass out, wake up and not missed anything. I started out around age 15 to 16. Worked in a fast food place for a while, hopped over to a poultry plant.

Yep yep yep grave yarding, gotta love it. :)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Bit of madness here. Heard 5 shotgun blasts right out front next near our house! Quickly went to see an saw a 4WD ute with about 5 people in the back tray section with people in the cabin fly out of the area next to our place. Pitch dark. All yelling out obscenities. I really dont think for a minute it was at us. Took my handheld spotlight out to check what had happened, smelt gunpowder and saw where they had floored it leaving tyre marks getting out. Just spent 20 minutes searching in case they had shot someone. Thankfully couldn't find anything. A nearby neighbor came out to do the same. Hopefully a check in the morning light doesn't reveal anything bad. Can't fathom why they came there and did it! Yeah now and then Roos are in the area but there are better places to shoot them than here near houses.
Ruined the movie we were watching the idiots!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bit of madness here. Heard 5 shotgun blasts right out front next near our house! Quickly went to see an saw a 4WD ute with about 5 people in the back tray section with people in the cabin fly out of the area next to our place. Pitch dark. All yelling out obscenities. I really dont think for a minute it was at us. Took my handheld spotlight out to check what had happened, smelt gunpowder and saw where they had floored it leaving tyre marks getting out. Just spent 20 minutes searching in case they had shot someone. Thankfully couldn't find anything. A nearby neighbor came out to do the same. Hopefully a check in the morning light doesn't reveal anything bad. Can't fathom why they came there and did it! Yeah now and then Roos are in the area but there are better places to shoot them than here near houses.
Ruined the movie we were watching the idiots!
Alcohol was likely involved.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Alcohol was likely involved.
Yep, given our yahoo farm boy town I would agree.
But given it was about 50 feet out from our front door and I saw them I had to do a search.
Though our town is small it is a known Chapter, and we see them, Chapter being a place where criminal Bikies have serious presence. To say "club" is lame, they are here bad. The real bad ones too. Chapter, Arm......
One of Australia's worst.
Our town has for a long time been notorious for them. Small town, big presence.
I seriously checked for a body.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, given our yahoo farm boy town I would agree.
But given it was about 50 feet out from our front door and I saw them I had to do a search.
Though our town is small it is a known Chapter, and we see them, Chapter being a place where criminal Bikies have serious presence. To say "club" is lame, they are here bad. The real bad ones too. Chapter, Arm......
One of Australia's worst.
Our town has for a long time been notorious for them. Small town, big presence.
I seriously checked for a body.
sounds like you need 'Road Warrior'?

And I live in a very redneck area as well..
But they all know that I am a crotchety old phart have have guns so do not directly bother me.

I make a point of target shooting behind the house from time to time.
Just to remind them :)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
sounds like you need 'Road Warrior'?

And I live in a very redneck area as well..
But they all know that I am a crotchety old phart have have guns so do not directly bother me.

:) I like the idea of that.
Unfortunately we have also the worst notorious cops in Victoria too. They are as bad as the bikies!
I keep my head down. ;)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
sounds like a top down generated problem.
My sympathy, hang in there.
Yeah, they aren't stupid either. When here in Aus they did the crack down on bikies those here, our town and two others in Vic, stopped wearing the colours, only rode the bikes like they were just bike rider enthusiasts. Others here in Oz kept up the colours etc, but were and are the dummies really. They stayed in the spotlight. This gang who has Arms in Melb, Geelong and other major towns stripped down the visuals. Kept doing what they do but used their heads. They mostly drive everyday drives now and just now n then ride the bikes. The so called big name bikies here in OZ are dingbats compared to these guys. The others still ride with the patches and colours and shoot each other up in places like NSW. To the public they want to appear scary, but mostly they are look tough bike riders with tatts and beards that couldn't fight their way out of wet paper bags. In Geelong years back I bounced in Bikie pubs and dealt with them. Useless wanna be,s that act tough. Swing their arms like windmills.
These guys here though ditched the public presence and are nothing like the others, now them are a worry.
I keep my head down. ;)

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning!

Slow day here, still chilly. Jessie is out on the deck enjoying the cool breeze on her fur. She can have my share, lol. We're going to be lazy again today. Everyone around the fires and smoke, please stay safe. So much destruction and loss.

Stay safe and healthy

Rob B.

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, they aren't stupid either. When here in Aus they did the crack down on bikies those here, our town and two others in Vic, stopped wearing the colours, only rode the bikes like they were just bike rider enthusiasts. Others here in Oz kept up the colours etc, but were and are the dummies really. They stayed in the spotlight. This gang who has Arms in Melb, Geelong and other major towns stripped down the visuals. Kept doing what they do but used their heads. They mostly drive everyday drives now and just now n then ride the bikes. The so called big name bikies here in OZ are dingbats compared to these guys. The others still ride with the patches and colours and shoot each other up in places like NSW. To the public they want to appear scary, but mostly they are look tough bike riders with tatts and beards that couldn't fight their way out of wet paper bags. In Geelong years back I bounced in Bikie pubs and dealt with them. Useless wanna be,s that act tough. Swing their arms like windmills.
These guys here though ditched the public presence and are nothing like the others, now them are a worry.
I keep my head down. ;)

Please stay safe Smigo. There are enough idiots in this world looking to harm other people. Confronting those people doesn't sound like a good thing. I am happy you keep your head down and avoid them. I can't imagine getting beaten or shot is fun in any way, shape, or form.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Our English Black Lab was like that. For a short hair dog, she sure could shed. She passed 3 years ago, and we are still finding her hair. Wish I could find a way to make a hair piece out of it for me. :teehee:
If it was a black Lab, I know a few old ladies around my neighborhood that could use a couple of Merkins!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Sounds like a neighbor here down the way. He targets in his .50 cal off his back porch. Everyone knows we're good friends and he's a stand up guy.

I've no problem leaving stuff out if I need. No one bothers anything. Don't think they would anyway but I'm sure hearing him pop off every now and then reminds them we're friends and they need to think a few more times before bothering us.

Her dad has a .30/.30 I can use if I desire. Once me and her get out to ourselves I want to get one, and a shotgun, 22 rifle, maybe a pistol of sorts as well. I don't need a huge collection of firearms but I do want some to use as needed.

ETA: Got outside as day started to break. took some bagged trash down to the fire pit. Then, went up to the barn a little. I looked over the air filter for the weed eater. Needed to adjust the string on it. Looked over the maintenance check list in the manual.

Knew her Pawpaw would have long been up. Had an urge to "walk back down with him" and set for a coffee before everything got going. He was up at the barn. Me and him had a spell of "jawing". Weren't much we spoke on, just how things was going. We also stood looking at how pretty the day seemed to fare.

Come back down here to the hovel. Fixed a cup of coffee. Hope everyone has a good 'un. Y'all run 'er slow. :)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning...at least that is what the clock says. Sun's been up for an hour now but I can't hardly see it...that ain't clouds either

19gXqUrl.jpg

We're under an air quality alert, into a dangerous range...

...AIR QUALITY ALERT IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM PDT THURSDAY THROUGH 11 AM
PDT MONDAY...

AN AIR QUALITY ALERT HAS BEEN ISSUED BY THE FOLLOWING AGENCIES:

WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY

AREAS OF SMOKE WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE INLAND NW INTO FRIDAY. INCREASING
SMOKE REGION WIDE IS EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH THE WEEKEND AS AN
EXTENSIVE AREA OF SMOKE FROM OREGON WILDFIRES MOVES INTO THE REGION.

AIR QUALITY ACROSS THE REGION COULD VARY FROM MODERATE TO HAZARDOUS.

POLLUTANTS IN SMOKE CAN CAUSE BURNING EYES...RUNNY NOSE...AGGRAVATE
HEART AND LUNG DISEASES...AND AGGRAVATE OTHER SERIOUS HEALTH
PROBLEMS. LIMIT OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES AND KEEP CHILDREN INDOORS IF IT
IS SMOKY. PLEASE FOLLOW MEDICAL ADVICE IF YOU HAVE A HEART OR LUNG
CONDITION.

Map of air not-quality:

Screenshot from 2020-09-12 07-31-13.png

Which makes sense as Milly and i both been cranky and itchy, watery eyes, etc. Not much to do but keep windows shut and only use AC on recirculate, not using outside air.

But, at least there is NCAAF all over the place today, if not cancelled..and my Seahawks play on Sunday !!

A good omen perhaps as the 13th is also Milly's 2nd BDay. :D

birthday-cat-round-foil-balloon-bx-109169.jpg

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Morning!

Checking in, nothing going on. Jessie got the zoomies last night, just as we were getting ready for bed. Why do cats do that? Hubby just has to play with her and make it worse. It's fun to watch but sleeping is what I wanted to do!

Stay safe and healthy :hug:
Cats are prone to do that when they realize that their servants are about to go to sleep on them.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I watched a game, then had a nap. Milly woke me all freaking out...turns out it's because it smells like creosote in here...and everywhere. Windows are closed, and I got the AC on internal cycling to help clean the air in here....but it's bad.

Screenshot from 2020-09-12 15-01-13.png

Walked a block to a store all masked up and with a damp bandana, and it looks like this:

Yup, that is smoke hanging in the air at around 2,000 feet elevation. I can't imagine what it's like down in the downtown area. It's acrid as hell.

Just above the parking lot lamps, you should see the ridge up on Five Mile bluffs, about a mile away, but ya can't at all. I would guess visibility is around 10 blocks.

Shit is fucked up until around Monday they say. I got supplies, so I ain't leaving the Apt. until it clears.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Any rain in the forecast?

Best chance is around 28% in a few days, so nope. We just need the winds to change...most of this is smoke from Cali, Oregon and the West side. Some from fires about 20-30mi away.

West Coast is on fire and toxic. This is a Generational type event...we burned more acreage in WA state in one day than in the previous 12 years...and it aint' over. I worked with CC/DNR crews in the 80s, but never seen it like this in my lifetime.

Screenshot from 2020-09-12 15-34-02.png

Goood thing the Seahawks game is playing in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in
Atlanta, GA as if it was in Seattle, it'd be cancelled. Then, I'd really be pissed.

PS: I opened the closet door in the bedroom, it's much cooler and has better air in there...so Milly is camping out with the shoes. ;-)

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saw where the smoke had made it to London and changed the sky color.

Kinda makes one wonder how much what we do in our little corner of the world impacts the world overall.

My sincere sympathy to all those impacted by the fires...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Big games coming up tonight..it's a damn shame my PAC-12 ain't playing.
But, the Cougars and Huskies are not in any shape for it anyways

Screenshot from 2020-09-12 15-59-40.png

VU Sponsors