Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Many in the industry disagree attracting them towards people plays any role, but I choose to disagree with them.

Inclined to agree with your view. If people were drawing them in respectfully, perhaps that wouldn't be a factor. Sounds as though people are being the usual effing idiots. That does make it a factor.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning!

Still not much here. Except Jessie! She brought in a praying mantis last night. I finally coaxed it onto a fuzzy toy and put it out. A bit later she brought it back in! This time a toy got thrown way out, hasn't come back to the deck yet. She was so proud of her hunting skills, though.

Stay safe and healthy :hug:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watching the Southern500 Cup series from Darlinton and yes there are fans. And throwback paint schemes.
Very cool.
t89121.gif
?

Screenshot from 2020-09-06 15-20-03.png

Its also the start of the playoffs, round of 16....

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Chekin in.
All fine here.
Seems like today must be a holiday since a weekday and no mail.
With covid and being retired all pretty much the same to me.

Last edited:

Rob B.

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Let's say you find out that a local vape shop is selling vape products to your 17 year old son and his 17 year old friend without carding them. Keep in mind that these kids look like 17 year olds, nothing like 21 year olds. Do you 1. Go on a mission to destroy their business, and call the police? 2. Confront these criminals first, and ask them where they get the nerve to sell to our minor children? Or 3. Take them out behind the barn, and...spank.gif

My son has admitted to me that he and his friend have been there multiple times and successfully bought stuff without being carded, but is afraid to get his friend in trouble. What do I do? What would you do?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Let's say you find out that a local vape shop is selling vape products to your 17 year old son and his 17 year old friend without carding them. Keep in mind that these kids look like 17 year olds, nothing like 21 year olds. Do you 1. Go on a mission to destroy their business, and call the police? 2. Confront these criminals first, and ask them where they get the nerve to sell to our minor children? Or 3. Take them out behind the barn, and...View attachment 168484

My son has admitted to me that he and his friend have been there multiple times and successfully bought stuff without being carded, but is afraid to get his friend in trouble. What do I do? What would you do?
Getting enforcement to talk to them in store about consequences, visit a couple times also to show presents, would prolly go a long way.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday was pretty insane, hot with winds blowing up to 45mph. Fires everywhere, trees down, power out to many, entire towns nearly wiped out in the region. Looked like doomsday out most of the day due to smoke and blowing dust....you could see it from space.

Oh, and I woke up to this like 7am yesterday. Some guy came roaring down the alley and wiped out some garbage cans and about crashed into a power pole that serves my building and several others. IDK if was drunk/high, been shot, or etc...just don't care anymore.

That didn't make the news, OFC as there are dozens of wreck a day here.
For more infos on the insanity of the day and fires: https://www.krem.com/

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Still not much here. Have to drive Hubby to his Dr. appt, then to grocery store. I drive and he shops, good arrangement. Jessie is spending lots of time on the deck, she's really enjoying it out there. I need to try to get a picture of her peeking in the cat door, so cute.
Caff - I saw a report that Malden is totally gone from fire. True? So sad. I have a niece and her family in Spokane, too close. Be careful!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Still not much here. Have to drive Hubby to his Dr. appt, then to grocery store. I drive and he shops, good arrangement. Jessie is spending lots of time on the deck, she's really enjoying it out there. I need to try to get a picture of her peeking in the cat door, so cute.
Caff - I saw a report that Malden is totally gone from fire. True? So sad. I have a niece and her family in Spokane, too close. Be careful!

Yeah the little town of Malden is 80% destroyed. Pretty much wiped off the map.

Whitman County Sheriff’s Office Press Release

Labor Day Firestorm Devastates Whitman County Towns

COLFAX, WA- At approximately 11am fire crews, EMS and law enforcement from around the county responded to a large fire in Colfax, WA which consumed several hillsides and threatening structures before consuming 2 homes. Winds of 45mph and dry ground fueled the flames at an alarming rate of speed. At around the same time, a fire was reported in the area of Green Hollow Road near the Manning Bridge just west of Colfax (The Manning Fire). That fire also reportedly damaged several structures before being mostly controlled later in the afternoon.

Whitman County Emergency Manager Bill Tensfeld helped to initiate incident command and requested State Mobilization to assist with managing the fires. Nearly every fire district in the county responded to assist with fighting the fires at that time.

Shortly after 12noon it was reported that another fire was moving at a fast rate of speed from the north, believed to have originated on Babbs road in Spokane County. That fire (The Malden Fire) was also being fueled by extremely high winds, standing timber and dry fields. Members of the Sheriff’s Office immediately responded to the town of Malden once they were notified of the aggressive nature and direction of the fire. Deputies arrived in town and started the evacuation process going door to door and making announcements on vehicle PA systems, notifying residents of the fire and the potential danger to life and property.

Within hours, many of the homes in Malden and the nearby town of Pine City were on fire or completely destroyed. In the town of Malden, the Fire Station, Post Office, City Hall/Library and other prominent buildings have been completely burned to the ground. It is estimated that 80 percent of the homes and structures in Malden were destroyed.

Whitman County Emergency Management, the Sheriff’s Office and Fire Incident Command are working on a plan to take inventory of the damage and to account for residents who were in their homes or in the communities when the firestorm hit.

Sheriff Myers stated “The scale of this disaster really can’t be expressed in words. The fire will be extinguished but a community has been changed for a lifetime. I just hope we don’t find the fire took more than homes and buildings. I pray everyone got out in time.”

The Whitman County Commissioners are expected to declare a State of Emergency first thing tomorrow morning.
Anyone affected or displaced by these devastating fires is urged to contact the American Red Cross for assistance with lodging, food and other necessities. The American Red Cross can be reached at 509.670.5331.

The Sheriff’s Office is also requesting that anyone who may be concerned about a friend, family member or loved one who has not been accounted for contact the Sheriff’s Office at 509.397.6266 to make a report.

Brett J. Myers
Sheriff WCSO

There were fires threatening all around here; Colfax, Cheney, Airway Heights, and even the AFB had problems close by. With all the people moving farther out from the city, there is gonna be more and more fires. The state has said all of these fires were human-caused.

Had a few brush/residence/commercial fires in the Spokane and Valley areas, but nothing too major. We learned things after the Hangman Hills fire long ago now. My Conservation Corps crew planted over 14,000 trees in there after that one.

Good place for news direct from the scanners and eye-witness reports is: https://www.facebook.com/pg/SpokaneNews/posts/

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A lot of power outages too, over 36,000 reported. Mostly in rural areas of the county.
I live 1/2 a mile from a huge electrical facility and a few blocks from a major hospital...pretty safe here. Only had a few blinks in power all day yesterday.

Spokane News
10 hrs ·

Avista Utilities crews continue assessment and repair work through the night Restoring power as quickly and safely as possible is top priority

Avista crews continue the work of assessing and repairing damage caused by the extended wind storm that began Monday morning and lasted into the evening across Avista’s Washington and Idaho service territory. As of 9:00 p.m. Monday, Avista has restored power to approximately 14,000 of the more than 36,000 customers who were out of power at the peak of the storm. It is expected the restoration efforts will pick up now that the wind has stopped blowing.

All available Avista crews along with 19 contract and 13 vegetation management crews have been deployed in Washington and Idaho to complete the restoration effort. These crews are completing assessment, vegetation management and line work to repair damage caused by the wind storm.

After preliminary assessments, it’s clear that the storm caused damage to both the transmission and distribution systems, with the primary damage involving trees coming into contact with lines and bringing wires down. There were also some areas where poles will need to be replaced.

Avista’s system is currently operating under dry land mode, which is an approach that helps decrease the potential for wildfires and requires our teams to physically patrol certain rural and forested areas before the lines can be re-energized. This can require more time to restore service.

Avista will provide an update on estimated restoration times after additional assessments are complete in the light of day Tuesday. Customers should be prepared for an outage of 1-2 days and seek personal resources as needed. We appreciate their patience during this time as teams work as quickly and safely as possible to restore electric service to all customers.

Still a huge homeless, mentally ill and/or addict population here, so there gonna be more fires every day:
Jail is full, so unless ya commit a violent crime yer gonna be OR'd. Even then, still probably revolving doored.

Statewide fires don't deter junkies much:
Spokane News - 13 hrs
100 N. Magnolia St, Brush Fire Reported. Update: Riverside and Pittsburg, second fire in an alley located. Witnesses Reported two males started the fires. Update one suspect in custody for arson

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Milly is helping me watch the game, kinda...lol

avwThaBl.jpg

It IS a good sign.
While Tiki actually would join me on the couch and watch games with me, just having Milly hang out like this is a good step in that direction. She's never slept on the arm before, being right near me during a game. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Let's say you find out that a local vape shop is selling vape products to your 17 year old son and his 17 year old friend without carding them. Keep in mind that these kids look like 17 year olds, nothing like 21 year olds. Do you 1. Go on a mission to destroy their business, and call the police? 2. Confront these criminals first, and ask them where they get the nerve to sell to our minor children? Or 3. Take them out behind the barn, and...View attachment 168484

I'd rather have my kid vaping than smoking. I probably wouldn't do anything. That is, unless you think he's vaping to excess to get that head rush the kids love.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I'm kinda leaning towards what Nada says - kids do dumb shit, I know because that's how I got hooked on tobacco for close to 37 years

I would confront the store manager though, let them know that bone head shit like allowing kids in their store has destroyed vaping and when they get shut down they contributed to the problem

While you don't have to condone your son vaping, we all know about forbidden fruit

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Just to be da devils advocate...
{{ cuz em's me buddy to }}
think of when you were a kid.
what would your parents have done?
would you have wanted to hide your head in shame or just KILL them cuz they were WAY over da top?
and at that time did you tell your self.. if i ever have kids i would ever do that I would have just ...
if that was MY kid i would say don't waste your hard earned $$$ on store bought over priced stuff.
here let ma ma mix you some good stuff
AND MAKE IT ZERO NICOTINE STRENGTH!
geezzzzzzzzzzz

dats what aunty me did.{with my baby bros boy}. and made it taste so good that he did NOT want to vape anything but mine.
and being so hard to come by he decided to quit.

GOOD BOY.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Id send a message some way anonymously telling them they are being investigated and watched for selling to underage persons with info on the legal consequences.
Why anonymous? So others dont get blamed or singled out, kids bashed or worse for lagging etc. They are, going by what you say, knowingly doing wrong, being so they have no honour nor can be trusted in any way. Theyre no good.
Gotta use ones head these days, very different world now.

Rob B.

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Anyway, I asked the shop owner if his store was important to him, does it feed your family? He said yes. I then assured him that I know his and my culture have different perspectives and fundamental ideologies and that I respect his and all cultures. He is Middle Eastern. He started to look puzzled and very curious at that point. I then proceeded to let him know that I was aware of at least two minors who were allowed to purchase products in his store on multiple occasions. The shop owner was reasonable and apologized profusely. He promised he would talk to his employees. I told him next time I would not give him the benefit of coming to the store. If Matthew get's another device from them, I will just call the police.

Thank you all for your advice and input. I truly hope he appreciates the opportunity I gave him.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm kinda leaning towards what Nada says - kids do dumb shit, I know because that's how I got hooked on tobacco for close to 37 years

I would confront the store manager though, let them know that bone head shit like allowing kids in their store has destroyed vaping and when they get shut down they contributed to the problem

While you don't have to condone your son vaping, we all know about forbidden fruit

I walked into a state-run ABC store in Raleigh when I was 16 years old and came out again with a fifth of Bacardi light. The lady asked me how old I was. I said, "26." She didn't ask for ID, just rang it up and off I went.

We bought cigarettes all over town at 15 and 16 years old with almost no questions asked. Even the little grocer across the street from my high school sold cigarettes to students all day long, and you know good and well they knew we were underage.

As far as I know there was no effort to shut down liquor distilling or tobacco production because of these occurrences. And I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I drove a car when I was unable to stand up and walk.

But my point is, I knew that I was going to do what I had decided already that I would do. If one store hadn't sold to me, I'd have just gone to another and another until one did. When my kids were teenagers they all smoked. The day I found out my son was shoplifting cigarettes from a local grocery store was the day I decided I'd buy them for him, because I'd rather him smoke and go to school than go for 24/7 residency at the local juvenile facility, where the ONLY thing he'd learn was how to be a REAL juvenile offender and perhaps a violent criminal.

All of this makes me think that vaping is like swatting a fly. I think Rob was being a decent guy to give the shop proprietor a second chance. He didn't have to do that. And it's true, the law is the law. But sometimes the punishment is disproportionate to the crime, and that's my point. There's a lot more shit to get very upset about.

Looking back on the lives of my kids, what I wish I could have done is handcuff them to the bed the first time I found out they were using drugs. Now, THAT upsets me. I can't say in a public forum what I'd do to a crack dealer if I caught them in the act of selling to ANYONE, much less a minor. Yet they stand in their white t-shirts and dark jeans on street corners all over this country, the law knows who they are, and they operate with apparent impunity. Why is that, do you suppose?

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

It is cold today! 44* right now, high will be 54*. Heck of a big difference from 99* 2 days ago! Furnace is on, dug out our sweats and socks. Brrrr. Friday will be back up to the 80's. Crazy. Even Jessie won't go out there, lol.
Caff - thanks for the info, sure a disaster. I hope it's only buildings and everyone is safe.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I walked into a state-run ABC store in Raleigh when I was 16 years old and came out again with a fifth of Bacardi light. The lady asked me how old I was. I said, "26." She didn't ask for ID, just rang it up and off I went.

We bought cigarettes all over town at 15 and 16 years old with almost no questions asked. Even the little grocer across the street from my high school sold cigarettes to students all day long, and you know good and well they knew we were underage.

As far as I know there was no effort to shut down liquor distilling or tobacco production because of these occurrences. And I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I drove a car when I was unable to stand up and walk.

But my point is, I knew that I was going to do what I had decided already that I would do. If one store hadn't sold to me, I'd have just gone to another and another until one did. When my kids were teenagers they all smoked. The day I found out my son was shoplifting cigarettes from a local grocery store was the day I decided I'd buy them for him, because I'd rather him smoke and go to school than go for 24/7 residency at the local juvenile facility, where the ONLY thing he'd learn was how to be a REAL juvenile offender and perhaps a violent criminal.

All of this makes me think that vaping is like swatting a fly. I think Rob was being a decent guy to give the shop proprietor a second chance. He didn't have to do that. And it's true, the law is the law. But sometimes the punishment is disproportionate to the crime, and that's my point. There's a lot more shit to get very upset about.

Looking back on the lives of my kids, what I wish I could have done is handcuff them to the bed the first time I found out they were using drugs. Now, THAT upsets me. I can't say in a public forum what I'd do to a crack dealer if I caught them in the act of selling to ANYONE, much less a minor. Yet they stand in their white t-shirts and dark jeans on street corners all over this country, the law knows who they are, and they operate with apparent impunity. Why is that, do you suppose?
I turned 16 only 1 month after they changed legal smoking age from 16 to 18

Lots of places just sold them still. When I started at 12, I relied on others to buy them for me

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wanna see how bad things really are?
Check this site out...seems like everything is on fire over here.

And this just in...a new fire really close to the city near the entrance to riverside state park in an equestrian area. It's heavily wooded up there...yes there is a state park that runs practically into town.

118942668_3535539739789915_2375102362482355172_n.jpg

Not close to me at all, but close to the city.
I think this is the same one, there was another fire in the same area a day ago. Getting hard to keep track.

Screenshot from 2020-09-09 11-23-02.png

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah, and we have sick ppl intentionally setting fires during all this...SMH

Why I watch/listen to local news all day....a fire could happen at any time here with all of the addled people around this area.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Oh yeah, and we have sick ppl intentionally setting fires during all this...SMH

Why I watch/listen to local news all day....a fire could happen at any time here with all of the addled people around this area.
I read a news report some were started by Gender Reveal Parties where they set off fireworks when they do the reveal. Id never heard of it before, but fires get started, people seriously injured by fireworks going astray and so on. Apparently the person who started the idea of these parties now says she wish she never came up with the idea.
The number of adults acting like adults these days sadly seems to be dwindling at an exponential rate. I dread the thought of the next generation.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read a news report some were started by Gender Reveal Parties where they set off fireworks when they do the reveal. Id never heard of it before, but fires get started, people seriously injured by fireworks going astray and so on. Apparently the person who started the idea of these parties now says she wish she never came up with the idea.
The number of adults acting like adults these days sadly seems to be dwindling at an exponential rate. I dread the thought of the next generation.

Growing up is kind of a lost goal it seems....

so many things are just marketing things to sell stuff.
Gender reveal, Manscaping, etc...
Kids are more gullible buyers I suppose.

52 % of 18-29 yr olds in the US are living with mommy and daddy.
And some of the rest are living in jail :)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Growing up is kind of a lost goal it seems....

so many things are just marketing things to sell stuff.
Gender reveal, Manscaping, etc...
Kids are more gullible buyers I suppose.

52 % of 18-29 yr olds in the US are living with mommy and daddy.
And some of the rest are living in jail :)
Mmm, there seems to be a something in that with the marketing when you think of it.
You just made me google Manscaping ? didnt know they called it that.
Dont think there would be too many here where I am that would do it, bit too yahoo, yeeha country boys here which suits me fine.
That is unless they have secret Manscape Reveal Parties I dont know about somewhere in the bush at night! ?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Woohoo, we're going to overtime!! It's been a great battle tonight. :D

SOOOO glad sports still exist...I'd be murdering neighbors by now if there weren't any in this new world.
And the Seahawks play once more very soon....

Screenshot from 2020-09-09 18-08-52.png

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to buy this stuff in Sycamore Illinois years ago.
Very sweet at first and then, HOLY SHIT!
F.O.A.D. stands for Fuck Off and DieView attachment 168632

Yeah saw that one back in 2010...it's just a generic vinegary Habanero sauce. ;)

Ya can get this one for cheap at Walmart or about anywhere..it's a far better flavor and decent heat....fire-roasted habaneros in an ancient recipe. Smokey rich goodness.

PS, the TOR/BOS game is now in 2nd OT...crazy!

Screenshot from 2020-09-09 18-37-43.png

then this....it's been a war...

Screenshot from 2020-09-09 18-40-55.png

Last edited:

Rob B.

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Day off today. Chillin with the dog next to me, got my feets up and hanging with you guys. Got a bit of vape mail. Armor Pro, Colossal, Galatek and Loop, all for maybe $50. On one hand I've gotten some good deals, on the other, I don't like why.

Now ya got my curiosity piqued. Come on Huck, fess up. How'd you get the good deals? popcorn.gif

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've told you all about my good friend I've known since high school, after she finished going to school for practically FOREVER, spent her entire career at the FDA. She's told me that I would never have seen such a cluster fuck in my life.

It sounds almost like any business that's grown beyond its own capability to function. Too many layers of people with authority but little motivation, who don't do any actual WORK, love to hold meetings and hear themselves talk, plus on top of all that, it's governmental. Anyone who has ever worked for a government agency will tell you that it ain't like working in business. The absence of the end-goal of making the mighty dollar just takes the wind out of people. They have nothing to make them move their asses any quicker than they've a mind to.

The two years that I worked for the State of North Carolina, I had a coworker who I'd have to wake up periodically at her desk, where she'd have fallen asleep to the point of snoring, just sitting in her desk chair with her chin on her hands, or I'd hear her snoring in a stall in the ladies room and have to say "Mary, is that you? Time to wake up!" Another lady was famous for walking the halls with a pencil in one hand and a long piece of the tape out of a calculator wound all around her neck, worried look on her face, and that's the only place we ever saw her. No one knew who she was or what she did. Worked in the room with an older lady who had an even older father, with Parkinson's Disease, and who would get on the phone with him (and him in Missouri) and try to convince him for HOURS not to drive the car, or she'd have to call relatives to go get him from the hospital, or out of jail, or make arrangements to have his car pulled out of a ditch, and of course we heard it all because we all sat in a room together. Our coworker Bill told us all about his circumcision procedure (done when he was 38 years old), and the leak in his gas tank so he could only put a dollar's worth of gas in his car at a time, because otherwise it would all leak out and he'd just be wasting his money. Oh and I nearly forgot the OTHER Mary, who had been buying her apparel at the local Belk store since she was a child. If she wanted a new dress, I swear this is true now, she would get on the phone with the Ladies Wear department at Belk, tell them what her occasion was, and in about an hour a runner from Belk would show up with a dozen dresses. She'd take an hour trying them on and choosing the ones she wanted. I mean it went on and on and on. Your tax dollars at work. I'm talking to YOU, @Rob B. and YOU @MrMeowgi and even YOU @Tall Pines.

I get the impression that the FDA is very similar, just not nearly as humorous. People who have to wear suits to work and brave rush hour in DC going back and forth have no sense of humor left by the time they get to their desks in the morning. If I were them, I'd be pissed off at the world.

Last edited:

Rob B.

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
@nadalama

I am a retired Naval Photographer. 24 years active and 6 years reserves. Does that count as gubment work? You don't have to convince me, you be Singing Smiley2.pngto the choir. Massive waste, bureaucracy, hyper delegation, lack of accountability, and total apathy. First five chapters in the SOP manual. Only things that mattered were respect to your superiors, and total adherence to the regulations. Too long of a story for me to recount right now.

As was mentioned before....Fuck the FDA!!!bigbird.gifBart moon2.gifeatme.gifpfft.gif thumbsdown.gif

Man, VU sure is a lagging today. snail2.png

Last edited:

VU Sponsors