Become a Patron!

Diet tips and tricks

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For myself, giving up bread isn't something I can consider. It's been too much a part of my diet for too long, and it has sort of spiritual connotations in our culture, "daily bread", "staff of life". I've seen old interviews with concentration camp survivors, in which they say they thought of bread as food, and anything else that came their way was extra. A diet restricted to bread and water was a punishment for prison inmates in times past, probably still is in some countries. Fasting on bread and water is still a spiritual exercise, combined with nonstop prayer, in some religious communities.
I felt this way all my life, I love bread and used to and wish I still could eat a whole meal of just bread. I can remember when Wonder bread first came out and they were handing out mini loves to show just how soft it was, yeah soft from much added gluten. I still love the smell of bread baking but since my cancer I just can't have it. the temptation is like stealing the candy outta a child's Easter basket

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I felt this way all my life, I love bread and used to and wish I still could eat a whole meal of just bread. I can remember when Wonder bread first came out and they were handing out mini loves to show just how soft it was, yeah soft from much added gluten. I still love the smell of bread baking but since my cancer I just can't have it. the temptation is like stealing the candy outta a child's Easter basket
I considered putting the "sad" icon on that, but I know you face your challenges with determination, and that you take a lot of pleasure in cooking and eating the food you grow. I feel kind of the same way about Mexican food. I get sad because I can't just sit down and order the big plate with one of everything on it the way I used to, but otherwise I'm so much happier by being in control.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's a good diet trick
Natural Health Tip:

Qigong is one example of a very effective breathwork meditation.
Qigong (pronounced chee-gong) is an ancient Chinese health care system that combines physical postures, breathing techniques, and meditation to maintain health and fitness.
Scientific evidence suggests that regular
practice of qigong may also help with cancer
prevention and survival.
Read More Here

I vape, but I take care of my health. I eat right, exercise from time to time and drink a lot of plain water. When I found out that my friend has diabetes, since then I try to lead a healthy lifestyle and value my health. It's my friend's birthday soon and I'm going to (spam link edited in at later date removed) for him because I know that's exactly what he's been looking for it for a long time. I think a new game console plus medicine is a good gift haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Does Peanut Butter Cause Weight Gain?​

Here’s something you may not know:

Peanut butter may help you lose weight—which could improve your health dramatically!

You see, peanut butter has the perfect blend of monounsaturated fats and other nutrients which makes this one of my favorites—if not everyone’s favorite— food.

Numerous studies show that eating peanuts and other nuts can help with maintaining weight and even help with losing weight. They do this by providing appetite satiety (your feeling of fullness) thanks to the protein, fiber and healthy fats that peanut butter contains.

here's a link to the rest of the article

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Diet tip: The breakfast sandwich, even some of the fast food ones, are not the enemy.

Product tip: Thomas "light" multigrain English muffins, specifically the ones that say "light" on the label.

In spite of my previous post about going organic for all breads in the future, I have to cycle through what's already in the freezer. I had two of these left in the package, so I saved yesterday's post for today, to have a part 1 and a part 2.

This multigrain "light" English muffin is 100 calories, same size as regular. I had no idea, and it will be my next hard search to find an organic variety that is equally low in calories. I made a big satisfying breakfast-lunch from one of them yesterday, split, toasted with a dab of butter, one slice of cheezefood divided between the two halves (I know, cheezefood, but I used the organic store brand). No other kind of cheese is as low in calories, and it keeps in the fridge for a long, long time.

Organic cheezefood.JPG

Breakfast sandwich part 1: Cheezy

Cheezy.jpg

I pressed the cheese a little bit with the palm of my hand to thin it out before putting it on the muffin, because it takes a long time to melt. So for the serving pictured above:

One muffin = 100 calories
A dab of butter for toasting, half a tablespoon or less = 50 calories
One slice cheezefood divided among the two halves = 60 calories
Red pepper flakes sprinkled on when it's hot and melty
Total for the serving pictured: 210 calories

This super filling low calorie breakfast allows for the addition of an egg at 60 calories, cooked, half the egg on each piece, or the whole thing stacked into one big fat breakfast sandwich at 270 calories. Even that still leaves room for a glass of V8, or a spoonful of sugar in your coffee if that's what you like.

Part 2: PB & banana

The same kind of breakfast can be done for low calories with the Trunut organic peanut butter powder, mixed with water, 25 cal. per tablespoon mixed. Skip the butter when toasting the muffin halves, then top the toasted pieces with the mixed peanut butter (the chocolate peanut butter powder tastes kind of like Nutella, still only 25 cal. per T., but I used regular), then add sliced banana. A medium banana is 105 calories, but nobody is going to save half a banana for later, not me anyway, so the whole thing, including the whole banana, comes in at 255 calories. That leaves room for a cooked egg on the side, or a slice of melon, piece of bacon, or whatever other judicious choice makes you feel full and happy.

Nanner.jpg

Disclaimer: I do NOT recommend fast food breakfast, but we do what we do. I used to do it when I worked at the brick & mortar. I'm just saying that awareness is the powerful key to establishing permanent habits you don't have to think about every second.

The Egg McMuffin is 310 calories
The original Breakfast Jack sandwich is 350 calories
Wendys egg & cheese croissanwich is 320 calories

Here is a link to a June 2022 article with lots of specifics:

https://cheatdaydesign.com/low-calorie-fast-food-breakfast/

So you say you want a hashbrown on the side. Okay. I looked at the calories on my package of Alexia organic Yukon puffs (tater tots, which you can consider mini-hashbrowns). 100 calories for 14 puffs, but maybe you only want 10. It's pretty easy to look up fast food item calorie counts online. Knowledge is the important ingredient.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just thought this fit here too

mail
Is Veggie Pizza Crust Healthy?
By Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen, MDs

The latest stats on Americans' pizza passions make it clear: We love this (usually) white-flour, high-fat, processed-meat-laden food. There are approximately 61,269 pizzerias in the U.S., dishing up about 100 acres worth of pies each day. That's enough to provide everyone with 46 slices annually.
Fortunately, people are starting to realize that a refined-flour crust and the high-fat cheeses and meats that top it are not healthy choices.
That trend has led purveyors of pies to cook up some supposedly healthier alternatives. One favorite faux-pizza crust is made with cauliflower. Yet while this heat-at-home pie version is billed as low-carb and nutritious, that’s not always the case.
Some cauliflower pizza crusts contain as much as 26 grams of net carbs per slice — about the same as a regular frozen pizza slice.
And sometimes the calorie content comes close to regular pizza — up to 170 per slice.
Clearly, you have to check the ingredients/nutrition labels carefully. Cauliflower should be first on the crust's ingredient list, indicating it's the main component. But often the top spot is held by a calorie- and carb-dense flour such as tapioca or cassava.
And beware of added sugar.
Remember, you can't fool Mother Nature. If you want a healthy pizza, go for a 100 percent veggie/whole-grain crust topped with olive oil, tomato sauce, and roasted veggies. Add broiled salmon or chicken breast for healthy protein.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yah, I'm surprised how nicely avocados freeze. I bought a package of frozen avocado chunks recently. Worked great, tasted great.
Yes they over ripen so easily and fast that it's the only way to keep them if you find a good sale price, I love avocado's

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Diet tip: prepper nutrition

Product tip: prepper veggies

Time once again for me to check expiration dates on prepper foods and eat up. Gotta remember veggies when storing canned food. I made my delicious prepper salad with negligible calories:

The canned organic cherry tomatoes I don't remember seeing on the market before the last couple of years, plus black olives, mushrooms and quartered artichoke hearts, all drained. I make prepper thyme from my fresh thyme, just let it dry out and put the stems in a recycled spice jar. In a grid down situation you always have salt, pepper, oil and balsamic or other vinegar to dress your creation. I keep packets of organic croutons from Sprouts (not shown here) which have a fairly long shelf life, as well as crackers and flatbreads.

Ready for the addition of whatever protein you have on hand, your tuna or drained white beans or whatever else:

Prepper salad.jpg

Just editing to say the artichoke hearts I'm using here are the canned water pack kind, not the salad artichokes in the little jar with oil dressing.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Diet tip: prepper nutrition

Product tip: prepper veggies

Time once again for me to check expiration dates on prepper foods and eat up. Gotta remember veggies when storing canned food. I made my delicious prepper salad with negligible calories:

The canned organic cherry tomatoes I don't remember seeing on the market before the last couple of years, plus black olives, mushrooms and quartered artichoke hearts, all drained. I make prepper thyme from my fresh thyme, just let it dry out and put the stems in a recycled spice jar. In a grid down situation you always have salt, pepper, oil and balsamic or other vinegar to dress your creation. I keep packets of organic croutons from Sprouts (not shown here) which have a fairly long shelf life, as well as crackers and flatbreads.

Ready for the addition of whatever protein you have on hand, your tuna or drained white beans or whatever else:

View attachment 199895
MMM that looks good

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is a prepper trick that became an accidental calorie trick. I'm a fan for life now, but I wish they were organic. Back in April of 2022 (before my organic bread resolution) I bought a box of eight packages of Wasa multigrain crispbreads to put aside as prepper bread. I thought the expiration date was March of 2023, but when I was going through supplies, looking for approaching expiration dates, I found they expired in October 2022.

Wasa multigrain.JPG

It's okay. They still taste fresh, but I don't want to take a chance on any of the ingredients going rancid, so I've been eating them for lunch every day. These are only 35 calories per cracker, and they're nearly the size of a piece of bread, and kind of thick. I use four for lunch, with peanut butter or cream cheese or egg salad or tuna salad, or melted cheddar with pepper flakes (my favorite).

As an example of the calorie generosity of these nutty tasting crispbreads: An egg has 65 calories. Two eggs make a generous mound of egg salad, adding mustard, sliced black olives (5 calories per olive) and celery seed to the chopped egg. So four of the crispbreads thinly spread with the egg salad come to less than 325 calories, leaving room for a nice square of dark chocolate for dessert, or a few potato chips on the side, or both, depending on your calorie goal.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't been cooking much lately, just cycling through prepper cans and packets, supplemented with fresh salads.

A fall/winter treat I do enjoy almost every day from September 1 to February 28 is Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea, unsweetened, no need for sweetener of any kind, zero calories. It tastes like sweet chai, but has no caffeine either.

When you have issues with appetite, weight, insulin resistance, the things that are naturally sweet and satisfying seem miraculous. The sweet spices in this blend make it taste like there is sugar in your cup. These are stock photos. It's almost always sold out, so when I see it I buy the shelf.

Bengal.JPGBengal Ingr.JPG

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I could watch this over and over, and sometimes I do, and I love the music chosen. These little guys are like reverse adding machines, taking it in rather than rolling it out:

I first saw this many years ago. I felt this little kitty must have been teething when he so fiercely enjoyed chewing and sucking on his bit of raw broccoli:

The diet tip: None of these critters are getting fat.

😻

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Diet trick: How to eat kiddie cereal.

A childhood comfort food I really miss, but hardly ever touch, is sweet breakfast cereal. On Saturdays the parents liked to sleep late, so it was the only day we kids were welcome to help ourselves to sweet cereal, either from the variety package of individual serving boxes, or from the big box. I can see us now, my two brothers and me, with our bowls of cereal, watching the cartoon marathon. Our favorite cereals were Captain Crunch and Cocoa Crispies. My fave is still Cocoa Crispies, and now there are healthier options, such as whole grain, organic, gluten free and so forth. As an adult I also have an appreciation of things we weren't interested in as kids, such as raisin bran and granola.

So the problem isn't that sweet crunchy cereal is so bad for you. The problem for me is that the only thing I want after eating a bowl of it, doused in almond milk, is two more bowls of it. In the days of my squandered health, I could eat the whole box of cereal in one morning, so in my wiser years I've stayed away from it altogether. Now I have discovered how to have one bowl of kiddie cereal that is really satisfying, and so filling that I'm not even thinking about having seconds. The trick is substituting yogurt for the milk.

The only yogurt I like is the blue label Fage. It isn't organic. I wish it were, but it tastes like yogurt in Switzerland, not like all the other yogurts in this country, even the organic brands, all which are sour watery slime. The blue label Fage is almost as dense as cream cheese. It says 5 percent fat, but I don't care about that. Greek yogurt appears in food satiety indexes you can find online these days, and indeed when you're done you feel like you ate a whole chicken or something. To me it's amazing in that regard.

So here's the cereal bowl I now enjoy any weekend I want:

One 5.3 oz. cup Fage blue label yogurt = 140 calories
The cereal box says 140 calories for 1 and 1/3 cups (wow, a 1/3 cup bonus!) but one cup is plenty for this bowl, so 105 cal.
Then I add some raw pumpkin seeds. The bag says 170 calories for 1/4 cup. That's how much I use.
Then I put a cherry on top, just to be ridiculous, 5 calories.
Total calories: 420

Yogurt.jpgCocoa Crisps.jpg
Cocoa Crisps 1 cup.jpgWith a cherry on top.jpg

And it makes my inner child happy, and keeps me full until dinner.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Diet trick: How to eat kiddie cereal.

A childhood comfort food I really miss, but hardly ever touch, is sweet breakfast cereal. On Saturdays the parents liked to sleep late, so it was the only day we kids were welcome to help ourselves to sweet cereal, either from the variety package of individual serving boxes, or from the big box. I can see us now, my two brothers and me, with our bowls of cereal, watching the cartoon marathon. Our favorite cereals were Captain Crunch and Cocoa Crispies. My fave is still Cocoa Crispies, and now there are healthier options, such as whole grain, organic, gluten free and so forth. As an adult I also have an appreciation of things we weren't interested in as kids, such as raisin bran and granola.

So the problem isn't that sweet crunchy cereal is so bad for you. The problem for me is that the only thing I want after eating a bowl of it, doused in almond milk, is two more bowls of it. In the days of my squandered health, I could eat the whole box of cereal in one morning, so in my wiser years I've stayed away from it altogether. Now I have discovered how to have one bowl of kiddie cereal that is really satisfying, and so filling that I'm not even thinking about having seconds. The trick is substituting yogurt for the milk.

The only yogurt I like is the blue label Fage. It isn't organic. I wish it were, but it tastes like yogurt in Switzerland, not like all the other yogurts in this country, even the organic brands, all which are sour watery slime. The blue label Fage is almost as dense as cream cheese. It says 5 percent fat, but I don't care about that. Greek yogurt appears in food satiety indexes you can find online these days, and indeed when you're done you feel like you ate a whole chicken or something. To me it's amazing in that regard.

So here's the cereal bowl I now enjoy any weekend I want:

One 5.3 oz. cup Fage blue label yogurt = 140 calories
The cereal box says 140 calories for 1 and 1/3 cups (wow, a 1/3 cup bonus!) but one cup is plenty for this bowl, so 105 cal.
Then I add some raw pumpkin seeds. The bag says 170 calories for 1/4 cup. That's how much I use.
Then I put a cherry on top, just to be ridiculous, 5 calories.
Total calories: 420

View attachment 202130View attachment 202131
View attachment 202132View attachment 202134

And it makes my inner child happy, and keeps me full until dinner.
I know this is blasé to most here, but the special k's with the yogurt and fruit, or strawberries, r very very good (probably cause they add sugar, lol)

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Blehh...weighed myself today and back out of range, so back on my diet and no croissant pizza for me...suckin

I did check my high protein noodle bowls tho, labeled non- gmo project (and noticed vegan too for all u insaniacs, lol) ...chock full of gluten tho, but i'm not sure i believe in THAT one:)

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Blehh...weighed myself today and back out of range, so back on my diet and no croissant pizza for me...suckin

I did check my high protein noodle bowls tho, labeled non- gmo project (and noticed vegan too for all u insaniacs, lol) ...chock full of gluten tho, but i'm not sure i believe in THAT one:)

Sorry you're having the struggle with the scales, Mr_Nobody. I hate that so much, I won't have a scale in my apartment. It's bad for my mental/emotional health. I can tell by the fit of my clothes when I need to watch out, though in recent years I've finally gotten past the binge-restrict yoyo pattern.

When you say you're not sure about the gluten issue: yes, I think that gluten issue might be people getting sick from non-organic wheat treated with glyphosate at the moment of harvest, for the foliage to drop off, leaving the wheat berries bare to shake off. Many who research it agree, it's the glyphosate, not the gluten, and once you become intolerant you cannot eat it anymore. I'm not saying that's everybody who can't eat gluten. People with celiac disease can't touch it. Otherwise, humans have eaten good bread for thousands of years without an epidemic of so called "gluten intolerance". But we also had lives in which we walked a mile a day, or worked in the fields, and we didn't have as much daily food as we have now. Even those who suffer poverty in the developed world, have high rates of obesity and diabetes, because even if we can't afford anything else, we can afford cheap high calorie starchy foods.

I don't think I've tried a cauliflower crust pizza, but I've heard they're very tasty. Maybe it's a thing for you to try, a small one or personal size, to see if you like it.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Sorry you're having the struggle with the scales, Mr_Nobody. I hate that so much, I won't have a scale in my apartment. It's bad for my mental/emotional health. I can tell by the fit of my clothes when I need to watch out, though in recent years I've finally gotten past the binge-restrict yoyo pattern.

When you say you're not sure about the gluten issue: yes, I think that gluten issue might be people getting sick from non-organic wheat treated with glyphosate at the moment of harvest, for the foliage to drop off, leaving the wheat berries bare to shake off. Many who research it agree, it's the glyphosate, not the gluten, and once you become intolerant you cannot eat it anymore. I'm not saying that's everybody who can't eat gluten. People with celiac disease can't touch it. Otherwise, humans have eaten good bread for thousands of years without an epidemic of so called "gluten intolerance". But we also had lives in which we walked a mile a day, or worked in the fields, and we didn't have as much daily food as we have now. Even those who suffer poverty in the developed world, have high rates of obesity and diabetes, because even if we can't afford anything else, we can afford cheap high calorie starchy foods.

I don't think I've tried a cauliflower crust pizza, but I've heard they're very tasty. Maybe it's a thing for you to try, a small one or personal size, to see if you like it.
Haha...personal size pizza for me is a large (maybe i should just enter eating contests, i can actually down 2 large pizzas in one fell swoop, or just eat 2 slices and be content,

I have been wanting to try a cauliflower crust one actually, i was gonna mention it with your cauliflower rice, but im just muckin up that 'what r u cooking' thread with 'what r u NOT cooking' lol

ive never believed in gluten, only because i remember when wheat bread and stuff like that was considered the healthy choice.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haha...personal size pizza for me is a large (maybe i should just enter eating contests, i can actually down 2 large pizzas in one fell swoop, or just eat 2 slices and be content,

I have been wanting to try a cauliflower crust one actually, i was gonna mention it with your cauliflower rice, but im just muckin up that 'what r u cooking' thread with 'what r u NOT cooking' lol

ive never believed in gluten, only because i remember when wheat bread and stuff like that was considered the healthy choice.

I have medical reasons for my weight tho, so i do actually have a range i need to stay in. unfortunately its a pretty narrow range (+/- 5 pounds) between malnurishment and too heavy. fortunately, if i just pay attention to it now instead of donning a pair of sweatpants and saying f*** it, i seem to be able to manage it despit the horror show of unhealthy food i put in my body

I was only suggesting a small or personal size just to see if you like the cauliflower crust, not as a matter of portion control.

I'm interested to hear of the new labeling you mentioned in your previous post, "non-GMO project", and I saw it mentioned once somewhere else this week too. For a really long time, the biotech companies were able to prevent non-GMO labeling, or even "contains GMO" labeling. The only way you could know a food was free of GMO's was with the "organic" label.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
In that other cooking thread, first time i paid attention to it, as well possibly.

I am definitely not saying i wouldnt have eaten it if otherwise, but the fact that is on the label made me feel better about my food choice.

(Y'all vegans can go, i dunno, suck on branches or whatever u guys do, lol)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
(Y'all vegans can go, i dunno, suck on branches or whatever u guys do, lol)
I wish I didn't have to eat vegan like I do, before I got this disease I was a huge carnivore and would have meals of mostly meat. But sometimes you have to give things up to stay alive, yes it sucks :(

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I was only suggesting a small or personal size just to see if you like the cauliflower crust, not as a matter of portion control.

I'm interested to hear of the new labeling you mentioned in your previous post, "non-GMO project", and I saw it mentioned once somewhere else this week too. For a really long time, the biotech companies were able to prevent non-GMO labeling, or even "contains GMO" labeling. The only way you could know a food was free of GMO's was with the "organic" label.
Haha, no, yeah, ive been wanting to try it cuz of all the carbs in pizza dough. my stretchy jeans only stretch so far, lol

Harm reduction pizza...im totally down with that, lowfat mozzarella and stuff, or maybe a different cheese all together, bring it on
(Long as it tastes right)

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Speaking of which...dominos got rid of its 3 topping pizza deal and is now only doin a 1 topping pizza deal...bad dominos...bad bad. really? toppings cost nothing to a chain like you.

Sorry...just an off topic rant
Crossing off dominos till they bring that back

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Incidently, i forget what thread i mentioned it in, i guess it belongs here, but was looking at tovalas actual menu and prices, f*** that, lol
(I know exactly what those presentation pics of food will look like when i eat them right out of the tins)

i dunno, ive been trying to get some fried chicken nuggets from a chain chicken store (brand name, just being discreet) for 2 days now in a major metropolitan area...couldnt make it happen...

is there a chicken nugget shortage now too? lol whats going on?

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Incidently, i forget what thread i mentioned it in, i guess it belongs here, but was looking at tovalas actual menu and prices, f*** that, lol

i dunno, ive been trying to get some fried chicken nuggets from a chain chicken store (brand name, just being discreet) for 2 days now in a major metropolitan area...couldnt make it happen...

I can't tell what part of the country you're in, but great numbers of chicken farms have been shut down. Some government thug will come in and order the Covid test, then condemn the entire flock. It's all complete bunk. Some flu vaccines are made from chicken eggs for decades now. That Covid test was supposed to have been discontinued more than a year ago, but a useless inaccurate test is still being used to bankrupt honest farmers, while Bill Gates buys up farm land all over the country.

It's the controlled demolition of our economy. It's why eggs cost their weight in gold, and why the price of chicken keeps climbing into the stratosphere. Millions of chickens have been destroyed by order of the USDA thugs.

There has also been arson against food farms and food processing plants.

Jimi's daily health articles thread updates on some of these things going on. It isn't going to get any better unless people become aware and start calling and writing to their congress critters.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
wow, so fried chicken shortage too, good to know, lol

The anti-meat kabal strikes again

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Nevermind, derailment, i'll just wait for your next diet tip while i ponder the fact that my campbells soup is made out of genetically modified ingredients

I really need to move back to the boonies. im a country mouse, not a city mouse

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nevermind, derailment, i'll just wait for your next diet tip while i ponder the fact that my campbells soup is made out of genetically modified ingredients

I really need to move back to the boonies. im a country mouse, not a city mouse
The reason why I was wondering what region you're in, is that some areas seem to have less trouble getting things than others, and there seem to be better prices in some places than in others.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
(I know exactly what those presentation pics of food will look like when i eat them right out of the tins)

Yah, I have been tempted by those pre-packaged meal delivery services, but I agree they're too expensive. If you're where you can get Instacart or Shipt grocery delivery you can make your own meal decisions for less money. It costs a little extra to have groceries delivered, because there is a per-item markup, as well as service fees and so forth, but sometimes when I'm slamming busy it beats spending the time on grocery shopping and having someone bang their cart into my car, all the vagaries of getting out there. But it's also good to see what's in the stores, choose your own best avocados and tomatoes, etc.

I got a flyer in the mail about Kroger starting up a delivery service. I didn't know we had Krogers here in SA.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can cabbage be spaghetti?

Cabbage noodles.jpg

I've been meaning to try this, and now that I did, I think the answer is yes, cabbage can be spaghetti, but with some tips.

Use less sauce than you might think, and don't cook the assembled dish too long. If you use too much sauce and cook it too long, you'll just end up with a tomato cabbage dish that won't make you feel like you're having a plate of pasta at all.

I poured a little less than half a 14 oz. jar pasta sauce into the pan and added a few cloves of garlic and some fresh thyme. I cooked it on medium heat to soften the garlic and dry out the sauce. Drying out the sauce is important, toward avoiding that watery tomato-cabbage dish in favor of a cabbage spaghetti dish that twirls on the fork and acts like spaghetti.

Sauce.jpg

When the sauce is bubbling, getting thick, the garlic softened, remove the garlic and put it through the press back into the sauce, then assemble, adding the cabbage, red pepper flakes and salt.

Assemble.jpg

Stir and turn just to get the cabbage coated and hot. Turn it off. Don't let the cabbage cook down. It will continue to soften just enough in the heat of the dish.

Done:

Done.jpg

I used about a third of a small head of cabbage. You want enough to almost be coated by sauce, but not quite. The cabbage will reduce in volume, which, again, is why there shouldn't be too much sauce.

It was so light on the calories, I put a piece of frozen garlic bread in the oven and had that alongside. I also sprinkled the plate liberally with grated parmesan (no pic, all gone).

It really had an all Italian flavor, no cabbage-y flavor. It took almost no time to make.

So if I were making this to serve, say, four people, I would use a whole small head of cabbage and the whole 14 oz. jar of sauce, but keeping some sauce in reserve at the beginning because you can always add it if there is enough cabbage to need all the sauce, or save it for something else if you don't need it all.

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Bleh, im back on a diet.
Looking foward to your take 2 of the culiflower taco. u think regular rice could be substituted for cauliflower?

For me lettuce, onions, and sour cream in a tortilla wrap sounds good (like 10 of em, but thats a different story)

Edit-gonna answer my own question actually, i dont see any reason why i couldnt substitute sticky rice, might try that

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can cabbage be spaghetti?

View attachment 202543

I've been meaning to try this, and now that I did, I think the answer is yes, cabbage can be spaghetti, but with some tips.

Use less sauce than you might think, and don't cook the assembled dish too long. If you use too much sauce and cook it too long, you'll just end up with a tomato cabbage dish that won't make you feel like you're having a plate of pasta at all.

I poured a little less than half a 14 oz. jar pasta sauce into the pan and added a few cloves of garlic and some fresh thyme. I cooked it on medium heat to soften the garlic and dry out the sauce. Drying out the sauce is important, toward avoiding that watery tomato-cabbage dish in favor of a cabbage spaghetti dish that twirls on the fork and acts like spaghetti.

View attachment 202544

When the sauce is bubbling, getting thick, the garlic softened, remove the garlic and put it through the press back into the sauce, then assemble, adding the cabbage, red pepper flakes and salt.

View attachment 202545

Stir and turn just to get the cabbage coated and hot. Turn it off. Don't let the cabbage cook down. It will continue to soften just enough in the heat of the dish.

Done:

View attachment 202546

I used about a third of a small head of cabbage. You want enough to almost be coated by sauce, but not quite. The cabbage will reduce in volume, which, again, is why there shouldn't be too much sauce.

It was so light on the calories, I put a piece of frozen garlic bread in the oven and had that alongside. I also sprinkled the plate liberally with grated parmesan (no pic, all gone).

It really had an all Italian flavor, no cabbage-y flavor. It took almost no time to make.

So if I were making this to serve, say, four people, I would use a whole small head of cabbage and the whole 14 oz. jar of sauce, but keeping some sauce in reserve at the beginning because you can always add it if there is enough cabbage to need all the sauce, or save it for something else if you don't need it all.
This looks so delicious, I love cooked cabbage anyway.
I need some diet tips to put on weight
when last at doctor a week ago I had lost another 8 pounds :facepalm: back down to 132

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This looks so delicious, I love cooked cabbage anyway.
If there is anything to emphasize about my cabbage spaghetti dish, it's that you don't cook the cabbage. You stir it into the hot pasta sauce, take it off heat, and the cabbage softens into limp "noodles". If you cook it down it will be watery veg, not soft cabbage spaghetti.

I hope you like it if you try it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I need some diet tips to put on weight
when last at doctor a week ago I had lost another 8 pounds :facepalm: back down to 132

Is your appetite good, digestion good, and you're feeling well?

Mainly Jimi, I think you have to get used to eating more. You recently described a pretty severe intermittent fasting schedule, eating during only 5 hours of every 24. If you've done that for a long time, and you're comfortable with it, then you have a kind of anorexia. It may be true that you starved out cancer. It may be true that this kind of schedule could really help those who want to lose weight, but if you're free of the beast, and in need of putting on weight to thrive, I think you have to re-kindle your hunger. You get to relax and have a dish of oven roasted almonds with your hot tea in the evening or at mid-morning. Start your day with something good to eat, even if it's just an apple slathered with organic peanut butter. Eat more often. Don't wait for meal times.

Avocados! 350 calories in a large one. I heard a health podcaster complain he'd developed a $20.00 a day avocado habit, but like you he's outdoors tending his food crops, working hard.

As a vegan you get to enjoy those things that we lowly flesh eaters can't enjoy without worrying about calories, like that whole cup of walnut meats.

I couldn't possibly suggest anything you don't know about what to eat and what to avoid. Your chosen diet has what you want, and doesn't have the things you avoid for your reasons, and that's as it should be. My only advice is eat more often, and you'll start to be hungry more often, and you'll put on weight, not become obese, just put on the weight you want to gain. Eating within 8 hours out of 24 is also considered intermittent fasting.

That's the best I can do, when all I can see is a bear on the side of your comments.

I wish you the best of health and sweet life.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bleh, im back on a diet.
Looking foward to your take 2 of the culiflower taco. u think regular rice could be substituted for cauliflower?

For me lettuce, onions, and sour cream in a tortilla wrap sounds good (like 10 of em, but thats a different story)

Edit-gonna answer my own question actually, i dont see any reason why i couldnt substitute sticky rice, might try that
I'm doing cauli-taco Take 2 soon, I promise. I skipped ahead to the cabbage spaghetti because I had a head of cabbage that was starting to get spots on the outer leaves. It's pathetic to always cook around staying ahead of rot and waste, but when I do get groceries I get too much for one person.

Sure you could substitute rice for taco meat, with the right additions of veg and seasonings. I don't actually think lean taco meat is fattening. A crispy corn taco shell with meat, tomato, lettuce and salsa is only around 140 calories. It's only a little higher in calories if you use a flour tortilla for the shell. I'm just always thinking of alternatives because when I have people over for supper club, if anybody is vegan, we all eat vegan, but I want it to be delicious and satisfying for everyone.

I'm often thinking of Jimi too, who restricts his diet for health reasons, and complains sometimes his diet is bland.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I have nothing against vegan dishes, ill just have a hamburger on the side :cool:

i mean, im in it for the same reason really, cutting calories and, for me at least, carbs., preferably in a way that still tastes like a greasy cheesesteak.

I just cant do hard tacos, they always fall apart on me (plus i just like wraps better)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Product tip: Dried cranberries without sugar added.

I really like dried cranberries in all sorts of salads. Some like them in oatmeal and cookies, but cranberries are almost bitter without being sweetened, so most of them have sugar added, and many of us want zero sugar, even if we're not trying to lose weight. I found these that are sweetened only with apple juice. They're really tasty too.

1677252243204.png

Long shelf life. The ones I just got are good until December 2024, so I'll get more for prepper supplies.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If there is anything to emphasize about my cabbage spaghetti dish, it's that you don't cook the cabbage. You stir it into the hot pasta sauce, take it off heat, and the cabbage softens into limp "noodles". If you cook it down it will be watery veg, not soft cabbage spaghetti.

I hope you like it if you try it.
Thank you my friend, good thing you stressed that ;)
Mainly Jimi, I think you have to get used to eating more. You recently described a pretty severe intermittent fasting schedule, eating during only 5 hours of every 24. If you've done that for a long time, and you're comfortable with it, then you have a kind of anorexia. It may be true that you starved out cancer. It may be true that this kind of schedule could really help those who want to lose weight, but if you're free of the beast, and in need of putting on weight to thrive, I think you have to re-kindle your hunger. You get to relax and have a dish of oven roasted almonds with your hot tea in the evening or at mid-morning. Start your day with something good to eat, even if it's just an apple slathered with organic peanut butter. Eat more often. Don't wait for meal times.
I eat like a horse, my wife says she can't believe how much I eat and no weight gain. When I was on the 5 hr a day feedin schedule I was also juicing to keep the nutes up. I eat 2 kinds of nuts every day, walnuts pecans, pistacio ,and almonds are my favorite. I always eat a couple organic apples every day and do most or all of that and still no weight gain. I have been skimpin on taders lately so they will last, hate to eat store bought (bio-sludge fertilized) organic taders. I was holdin well at 144 and last time went to 132.

I love avacado's and eat them all the time, very healthy for you.

I love walnuts too, those and apple in salads and in my mornin oatmeal when I have it.

It's crazy no matter how much I eat I just don't gain, I do eat like a horse, especially now that I am not on the 5/24 schedule, I did better on that:facepalm:. I just can't figure it out. All my life if I just looked at food I gained at least 2 pounds.

Thank you my friend

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This isn't exactly a diet tip or trick but it seemed like something related that could be relevant. Hope that's okay.

Freyja, absolutely I think that's relevant. I saw it when Russell Brand posted it on his channel (love that guy).

I don't know which is the more alarming exposé, Coca Cola weaseling its way into the pediatric medical and American diabetes associations (all of the medical associations now being meaningless propaganda vehicles), or the exposé on Ozempic. Like all of the pharma ads that slow roll the alleged "benefits" and then speed it up with the side effects, this is what it says on the Ozempic website:

Ozempic may cause serious side effects, including:
Possible thyroid tumors, including cancer. Tell your health care provider if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. These may be symptoms of thyroid cancer. In studies with rodents, Ozempic and medicines that work like Ozempic caused thyroid tumors, including thyroid cancer. It is not known if Ozempic will cause thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) in people.
Do not use Ozempic if you or any of your family have ever had MTC, or if you have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2).
Do not use Ozempic if you or any of your family have ever had MTC or if you have MEN 2.
you are allergic to semaglutide or any of the ingredients in Ozempic. See symptoms of serious allergic reaction in "What are the possible side effects of Ozempic?".
Before using Ozempic, tell your health care provider if you have any other medical conditions, including if you have or have had problems with your pancreas or kidneys, have a history of diabetic retinopathy.

And then they try to make it so that kids can accept drugs without parental consent, and even more insidious, a school counselor may say an overweight kid should take the drug, and when a parent doesn't want that for their kid, they'll send child protective services after them. If that seems conspiracy theorist, well there are plenty of cases of it happening with the so called ADD and ADHD drugs that mess kids up for life.

So give a kid coca cola to wash down his "drug for life". We do live in a sick society, and will until we all wake up. As the whistleblower points out, it would be far simpler and less expensive to help a kid establish good eating habits than to give a kid a drug for life.

You got me started, didn't ya.:headbang:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you my friend, good thing you stressed that ;)

I eat like a horse, my wife says she can't believe how much I eat and no weight gain. When I was on the 5 hr a day feedin schedule I was also juicing to keep the nutes up. I eat 2 kinds of nuts every day, walnuts pecans, pistacio ,and almonds are my favorite. I always eat a couple organic apples every day and do most or all of that and still no weight gain. I have been skimpin on taders lately so they will last, hate to eat store bought (bio-sludge fertilized) organic taders. I was holdin well at 144 and last time went to 132.

I love avacado's and eat them all the time, very healthy for you.

I love walnuts too, those and apple in salads and in my mornin oatmeal when I have it.

It's crazy no matter how much I eat I just don't gain, I do eat like a horse, especially now that I am not on the 5/24 schedule, I did better on that:facepalm:. I just can't figure it out. All my life if I just looked at food I gained at least 2 pounds.

Thank you my friend
Huh, I didn't know you included oatmeal in your diet.

VU Sponsors