Become a Patron!

Does everybody but me love the Profile RDA?

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, THIS guy MIGHT really be on to sumthin.
My filler has been a hunk of cotton under rayon wick but I like the idea. Would change the squonk action though. It's just gonna spill out on to the deck and the tails would have to wick it up from the deck. No more giant sponge/tampon....

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My filler has been a hunk of cotton under rayon wick but I like the idea. Would change the squonk action though. It's just gonna spill out on to the deck and the tails would have to wick it up from the deck. No more giant sponge/tampon....
1st thing I thought of, but then what makes that any different or worse than any other RDA? It gave me a couple of other ideas too though. Maybe it doesn't work at all, but it seems to me it's worth a shot.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1st thing I thought of, but then what makes that any different or worse than any other RDA? It gave me a couple of other ideas too though. Maybe it doesn't work at all, but it seems to me it's worth a shot.
Correct, basic capillary action. How fast will the juice burn off on the thinner wick?
Absolutely worth trying and that question can be answered.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Correct, basic capillary action. How fast will the juice burn off on the thinner wick?
Absolutely worth trying and that question can be answered.
I'm thinking that al that wicking is required to supply the mesh, that said if I can get in my shop in the next couple of days I will cut some quartz or agate and make an oval spacer to test this theory....:gaah:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm thinking that al that wicking is required to supply the mesh, that said if I can get in my shop in the next couple of days I will cut some quartz or agate and make an oval spacer to test this theory....:gaah:
I'm thinking the same but someone mentioned a convex spacer awhile back, think it was the Rooster.
I have no issues with the wick unless I F it up but it's fun to play with different methods...

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm thinking the same but someone mentioned a convex spacer awhile back, think it was the Rooster.
I have no issues with the wick unless I F it up but it's fun to play with different methods...
If the spacer is a double convex filler it won't displace much of the wick...

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I think it’ll burn quick that thin bit of cotton, even using temp control it’ll cut out quickly

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i like the cut underside and push the lower excess in.
pushing the top layer up more while leaving the top long to reach the deck...
for now RDA mode waits on slow boat from slow tech.

ScottishDuck13

Member For 2 Years
Ive just always kept a strip of the orignal Wotofo mesh and just cut the spool mesh round that, never had any issues. Flavour is unreal. Which brings me to whats been pissing me off the past few days...

I now hate all other RDAs :gaah: I have god knows how many of them and more spools of different wire types and premade coils than I have space for... but every single time I build anything thats not the Profile now i just dont like it, it doesnt give anywhere near the same flavour, and the warmth actually makes me feel a little sick sometimes depending on the juice. Now I used to be a dual coil, 100-120w vaper but now I go back to my Profile and its like 'ahhhh thats better'

I have tried varios different RDAs, my old favourites with completely different types of builds in the all over the past few weeks and each one has lasted 1 vape 'session' then put down to be ripped out and retried a few days later. Im glad Ive finally found that 'one' thing to almost cure my shinyitus, but its typical its the one RDA that makes all the shit I have accumulated virtually useless! Very annoying!

Anyone else in the same boat?

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
nope but that unity and doom as my eye now

ScottishDuck13

Member For 2 Years
Ive been hit and miss with the Unity... can build wick and vape all fine, but it doesnt seem to last long, after just a few tanks I open to check and its black, but doesnt taste burnt unless i give it another few tansk worth then suddenly it stops wicking without any change. Its good, maybe just been unlucky with first few builds.

***Did watch a vid on the Doom the other day, looks interesting

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ive just always kept a strip of the orignal Wotofo mesh and just cut the spool mesh round that, never had any issues. Flavour is unreal. Which brings me to whats been pissing me off the past few days...

I now hate all other RDAs :gaah: I have god knows how many of them and more spools of different wire types and premade coils than I have space for... but every single time I build anything thats not the Profile now i just dont like it, it doesnt give anywhere near the same flavour, and the warmth actually makes me feel a little sick sometimes depending on the juice. Now I used to be a dual coil, 100-120w vaper but now I go back to my Profile and its like 'ahhhh thats better'

I have tried varios different RDAs, my old favourites with completely different types of builds in the all over the past few weeks and each one has lasted 1 vape 'session' then put down to be ripped out and retried a few days later. Im glad Ive finally found that 'one' thing to almost cure my shinyitus, but its typical its the one RDA that makes all the shit I have accumulated virtually useless! Very annoying!

Nope I like the unity and profile a lot and use them but still like coils also

Naw, not in that boat.

I like using the Profile for fruity flavors but that's about it. I still prefer coil builds for creams, bakery and just about anything else. The Profile is nice but I'd much rather vape another RDA for richer juices that demand warmth. I don't think the flavor is better in the Profile compared to, say, a Kennedy.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Exact same boat. I've learned that what is a nice warm vape to me seems to be cool or cold to alot of others. I don't seem to get any better flavor by turning up the heat either.
Vape never ceases to amaze with its infinite variability and subjectivity.

ScottishDuck13

Member For 2 Years
Yeah with me it has only been since using the Profile... i used to vape really chunky fancy dual coil builds and love it but now mehhh

Probably to do with what ygor said above, pretty much all I vape are fruity flavours with and witthout ice. Im just not a big fan of the weird taste you get from cakey flavours. Some creams are OK but thats about it. Suppose I was used to it before but now after experiencing the cool yet really flavourful taste from the Profile, using warm chunky coils is like after drinking some fresh orange juice straight from the fridge then leaving it in the sun for hours and trying to drink it, its that same kind of 'eww this shouldnt be warm' sicky type feeling I get.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but welcome to the shipyard.:devil: I have gone through all my other gear and rebuilt ,rewicked ,changed coil height and nothing comes close. Yes I can say Profile and unity has ruined vaping for me...:xD::xD:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but welcome to the shipyard.:devil: I have gone through all my other gear and rebuilt ,rewicked ,changed coil height and nothing comes close. Yes I can say Profile and unity has ruined vaping for me...:xD::xD:
I'm enjoying not looking at any other RDA !
I vape MTL about 1/2 the time and I've found other rabbit holes to go down, so I get what you're sayin....

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ive been hit and miss with the Unity... can build wick and vape all fine, but it doesnt seem to last long, after just a few tanks I open to check and its black, but doesnt taste burnt unless i give it another few tansk worth then suddenly it stops wicking without any change. Its good, maybe just been unlucky with first few builds.

***Did watch a vid on the Doom the other day, looks interesting
Saw the Doom review by Vic, then went back to watch his Unity review, I don't think he wicks the Unity correctly. As for the wick going black it happened to me once. I added cotton (just a small amount) under the mesh and trimmed up the excess against the bleed holes. As far as custards and pastry the only problem I found is the flavor never leaves the cotton.......BTW I stopped counting tankfuls and count my empty juice bottles....YMMV :bliss:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Saw the Doom review by Vic, then went back to watch his Unity review, I don't think he wicks the Unity correctly. As for the wick going black it happened to me once. I added cotton (just a small amount) under the mesh and trimmed up the excess against the bleed holes. As far as custards and pastry the only problem I found is the flavor never leaves the cotton.......BTW I stopped counting tankfuls and count my empty juice bottles....YMMV :bliss:
SQNK LYFE

Here is my Unity
20190613_124242.jpg

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just spent the last hour playing around with the rda again. Which I had to find, because I hadn't touched it in like a month and a half. Maybe 2. :rolleyes:

I used the wotofo strips because I want the nex-mesh strips for my unity.

After 2 strips and a couple different ways of doing this with a 22 ga 4mm spaced coil underneath and a size fitted strip of thick Japanese pad, I got it to "work" at 60 watts.

By "work", I mean not burn up immediately.

It works about as good as the rayon and cotton setup, Which for me, will probably have it back on shelf. Same as always. It's not that it's bad. It's boring. (to me)

I like a single coil (which I still use in the other Profile rda) or the Unity with the strips 100 times more. I can run that with 4 or 5 second hits all day with no problems.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a theory.

I don't think the mesh strips vaporize more liquid than wire coils, thus requiring more cotton. I think they vaporize less liquid faster than wire coils, thus requiring faster wicking. It boils off the liquid on the surface of the wick very quickly and it's physical characteristics make the way it heats up "outrun" the speed of the wicking.

Why then am I able to to get 75 (or even 80) watt longer hits out of the Unity with mesh strips? Because those 2 holes in the chamber, when effectively provided wicking, along with the back pressure of the tank, make up that speed difference.

I have no problem being proven wrong about anything. It means I have more accurate information than when I erroneously believed myself to be right. I think I'm on the right track here though.

Last edited:

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have a theory.

I don't think the mesh strips vaporize more liquid than wire coils, thus requiring more cotton. I think they vaporize less liquid faster than wire coils, thus requiring faster wicking. It boils off the liquid on the surface of the wick very quickly and it's physical characteristics make the way it heats up "outrun" the speed of the wicking.

Why then am I able to to get 75 (or even 80) watt longer hits out of the Unity? Because those 2 holes in the chamber, when effectively provided wicking, along with the back pressure of the tank, make up that speed difference.

I have no problem being proven wrong about anything. It means I have more accurate information than when I erroneously believed myself to be right. I think I'm on the right track here though.
I have found , and this applies only to myself that the hotter the vape the less my taste buds work. I have tried for two years to achieve higher wattage vaping with poor results. So at the wattage I vape at the profile Rda as a squonker has more than enough wicking for me, it might work better as a dripper but there does not seem to be a large well. As for Unity you are 100% correct about the bleed holes , so the wick is being fed from below and on top. This was Wotofos engineers idea. As for vaporization theory, I now use twice as much liquid than before. Not scientific but My pile of empty bottles are growing at twice my normal rate...;)

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been using the profile for about a week now. While I like it, and will continue to use it, I still find myself going back to my small single coil RDAs a lot.

I only run mech squonks, so that may have something to do with it. I also like the feel of 510 drip tips much better than 810s and on a mech running nearly 100w through the .18 K1 strips on the profile with a 510 just isn't a good combo for me.

Even though the profile does have really good flavor, I like the flavor i get from my venna and krma a little bit better (not by a whole lot) with the juices I use, which is mostly DIY custards.

But with that being said, my profile has found its way into my rotation for the foreseeable future, as it is a solid piece of gear that I do enjoy.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As for vaporization theory, I now use twice as much liquid than before. Not scientific but My pile of empty bottles are growing at twice my normal rate...;)

That's an understandably oversimplified answer to my oversimplified assertion. When I have more time and am not so tired, I'll try again :)

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's an understandably oversimplified answer to my oversimplified assertion. When I have more time and am not so tired, I'll try again :)
I be droppin dimes on mines.

That would be my oversimplified assertion that I require frequent refilling of the 10ml bottle.......if I was in the hood.
I'm tired too, goodnight.

ScottishDuck13

Member For 2 Years
I have a theory.

Why then am I able to to get 75 (or even 80) watt longer hits out of the Unity with mesh strips? Because those 2 holes in the chamber, when effectively provided wicking, along with the back pressure of the tank, make up that speed difference.

I agree... I have my RDA sitting on my Topside Dual and normally now on TC mode but when on wattage, I've got into the habit of just giving the squonk bottles a couple of quick pushes after every pull or so. I use less enough cotton so the first place the juice goes is right through the cotton and to the surface of the mesh and Im always good for proper hits. Guess what I do is essentially what the 2 extra wick holes in the Unity are doing.

Every Profile deserves a good home...my new family member.....View attachment 140755
ARGH so jealous, I just ordered mine from fasttech this morning but 16 days for stock then shipping. Got it for about £97 though! Topside Dual has been my favourite mod so far so this was a no brainer, love the material and the chip looks awesome, good to hear the TC is spot on, alothough ive not really had any issue with it on the current Dovpo chip. I think the only thing thats going to annoy me with it is not being 5 clicks to OFF, suppose ill get used to it :) if you had the old Topside Dual, is it worth the uprgade? (bit late now but still interested)

Also ordered Vic's Kelpie to try it out

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree... I have my RDA sitting on my Topside Dual and normally now on TC mode but when on wattage, I've got into the habit of just giving the squonk bottles a couple of quick pushes after every pull or so. I use less enough cotton so the first place the juice goes is right through the cotton and to the surface of the mesh and Im always good for proper hits. Guess what I do is essentially what the 2 extra wick holes in the Unity are doing.

ARGH so jealous, I just ordered mine from fasttech this morning but 16 days for stock then shipping. Got it for about £97 though! Topside Dual has been my favourite mod so far so this was a no brainer, love the material and the chip looks awesome, good to hear the TC is spot on, alothough ive not really had any issue with it on the current Dovpo chip. I think the only thing thats going to annoy me with it is not being 5 clicks to OFF, suppose ill get used to it :) if you had the old Topside Dual, is it worth the uprgade? (bit late now but still interested)

Also ordered Vic's Kelpie to try it out
97 bucks, oops quid, That's a good price . I would lose my mind waiting for it... It takes 5 very fast clicks to get into the menu, very annoying for this olf phart. It is lighter than the Topside single and the TC is smooth. Is it worth the upgrade :yes:
let us how the kelpie works out.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
...I've got into the habit of just giving the squonk bottles a couple of quick pushes after every pull or so...
Ok, but I was squonking it drowning. As in top off, squeeze until juice was almost running out the ariflow holes, AFTER the rest was pulled back into the bottle (Desire Cut) and it was burning a few seconds in above 65 watts. Every fathomable tip and trick is on the previous pages of this thread.

I use less [] cotton so the first place the juice goes is right through the cotton and to the surface
I knew I liked you when you first showed up here. :D That IS EXACTLY what I was thinking about last night. For lack of a better way of putting it, maybe with those massive wicks, different areas of the cotton (or whatever material) are competing with each other over which gets the juice first. Then I thought, but there's really only one area going dry, that being the uppermost part that contacts the mesh. However, once that area is dry, it has to get more juice, which isn't coming directly from the well of course, but through the rest of the cotton first.

That is the key question. Does the dry part of the cotton, get more juice from the immediately adjacent cotton, and THEN the well sends more through the rest of the wick? OR does the well have to send more juice BEFORE the dry part gets what it needs? I'm theorizing that it's a range of both and that it depends on a few factors, not least of which is the volume of cotton. (The immediately preceding applies to any atomizer)

It seems counter intuitive on one level, but maybe with less cotton to compete with, it would get to the surface of the mesh faster. Not only that, but it weighs less and also isn't fighting gravity as hard.

With the Unity, there is an extra, low volume upper region of cotton that draws from the holes in the chamber, which are not below, but level with the surface of the mesh. No fight with gravity. The fact that it's a tank, as has already been addressed, of course means that back pressure is gently pumping liquid, both through the holes and the ports, which being lower get more pressure. Which is good because they need more pressure than the holes because they're lower.

Why do I not get dry hits at high wattage on the Drop for instance with it's 3 story high posts? On a series box and a .27 build. Because at some level the volume of cotton reaches a point of diminishing returns, where more actually wicks less efficiently for reasons that are somewhere in all this stuff I have presently been prattling on about. I think it's in there even if this isn't precisely right.

OR, I'm an over analytical blithering imbecile whom everyone one would do best to ignore. :confused:

Last edited:

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How yourself and @VAPEROXX are doing this absolutely mystifies me.

I have no more reason to believe that either of you would lie to me than I do to believe that this is possible.
View attachment 140788
It's actually not bad. When I first tried it, I used a little bit too much wicking and got dry hits every few hits, but now that I got the amount figured out I can get about 6-8 hits between squonks. But I still give the bottle a light push every 3-4 hits to keep everything well saturated. It is now feeling quite at home on my Krönig.

20190614_153136.jpg

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's actually not bad. When I first tried it, I used a little bit too much wicking and got dry hits every few hits, but now that I got the amount figured out I can get about 6-8 hits between squonks. But I still give the bottle a light push every 3-4 hits to keep everything well saturated. It is now feeling quite at home on my Krönig.

View attachment 140790
sometime less is more

VU Sponsors