Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My experience is that Joomla is a PHP/MySQL whore. I rolled Joomla on my server and it works okay, but plain PHP code with MySQL rips much faster than Joomla. So whoever your hosting provider is, chops to them for getting it on good iron with optimized virtualization.

Yeah, I kinda have to run a CMS; I'm a whiz at CSS, but never have really learned php, beyond recognition and a tweak here or there. The host loves Joomla, as long as Joomla users keep it all updated -- when it's not updated and gets hacked, they suspend in a NY second until you get it fixed! The worst hack I've suffered though was having my email address spoofed, and then the hackers started sending out OCEANS of spam -- my host was NOT amused. I had to kill an address I'd had for 10 yrs.

Andria

ETA: BTW, it's Arvixe. Based in Los Angeles, but they have server farms all over the place, which I'm sure contributes to their speed, and also their up-time -- mucho redundancy.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure you can do it. If I did, anyone can. See my other post for the minor tweaks I did to get there. Simple stuff, common sense. Just takes the commitment to make it happen.

I never have been one to go in for freak diets. I use one simple technique which has always worked: move a little more, eat a little less. It's not very fast, but ALWAYS works. I needed to get back to my walks anyway; had gotten pretty good at climbing the hilly street I live on, back in the fall, but then got that nasty bacterial sinus infection and it just whomped me... then it got cold. Now it's getting nice again, so we're going to start doing our evening walks again. Didn't today, but we did groceries; walking the entire Walmart store is plenty of walking. :D

Andria

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
They have a troll section for him on ecf, too?
hahah no, that's something we have only done twice to my knowledge here.
I was referring to the prorape subforum there. I was a regular there when I first started vaping, and its sad, but that little section has really lost a lot of activity. I'm permanned, but when he showed up here I went to lurk and see what was going on,--- its the definition of ghost town.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
hahah no, that's something we have only done twice to my knowledge here.
I was referring to the prorape subforum there. I was a regular there when I first started vaping, and its sad, but that little section has really lost a lot of activity. I'm permanned, but when he showed up here I went to lurk and see what was going on,--- its the definition of ghost town.

I was joshin' :D

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I kinda have to run a CMS; I'm a whiz at CSS, but never have really learned php, beyond recognition and a tweak here or there. The host loves Joomla, as long as Joomla users keep it all updated -- when it's not updated and gets hacked, they suspend in a NY second until you get it fixed! The worst hack I've suffered though was having my email address spoofed, and then the hackers started sending out OCEANS of spam -- my host was NOT amused. I had to kill an address I'd had for 10 yrs.

Andria

ETA: BTW, it's Arvixe. Based in Los Angeles, but they have server farms all over the place, which I'm sure contributes to their speed, and also their up-time -- mucho redundancy.
Don't need the CMS end of things much - did it more as a "let's see what this is all about" thing when I rolled Joomla.

I run a small site for an organization I serve with, and we put on an annual astronomy event here in Washington. Built the registration system using PHP tied to MySQL, integrated it to PayPal for the money side, did all the coding myself. And I'm no PHP ninja.. I've spent several hours looking for that one syntax goof that's throwing errors or not running the INSERT or UPDATE functions properly. Self-taught the entire way. :zombie:

I'll try to keep that provider in mind, but we just re-upped with our current one for another two years.. but that's okay. They do decent enough for what we need. Of course, there was that time when a massive WordPress login crack was hitting everybody that just happened to coincide with the day we opened for registration, and their temporary solution was to take servers offline to kill the loads they were under..:crazy:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh hell no, you aren't crashing :) I'm glad the mods and other members are joining us! I'm making new friends now, too.
and thank you for that, I'm new to the mod team and sometimes forget how that badge is seen by the shellshocked from ecf.
as you can see, here it just means youre still a member with a few extra responsibilities.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't need the CMS end of things much - did it more as a "let's see what this is all about" thing when I rolled Joomla.

I run a small site for an organization I serve with, and we put on an annual astronomy event here in Washington. Built the registration system using PHP tied to MySQL, integrated it to PayPal for the money side, did all the coding myself. And I'm no PHP ninja.. I've spent several hours looking for that one syntax goof that's throwing errors or not running the INSERT or UPDATE functions properly. Self-taught the entire way. :zombie:

I'll try to keep that provider in mind, but we just re-upped with our current one for another two years.. but that's okay. They do decent enough for what we need. Of course, there was that time when a massive WordPress login crack was hitting everybody that just happened to coincide with the day we opened for registration, and their temporary solution was to take servers offline to kill the loads they were under..:crazy:

What I love best about php is that it runs in an HTML framework -- HTML, I can do in my sleep! So when I do those "little tweaks" -- 9 times out of 10, it's really an HTML tweak; though I have on occasion looked up proper syntax for a real php tweak -- designing, I can do, and coding HTML and CSS.. but real programming? I gave up back when GW-BASIC was really kewl... ;)

I know what you mean about THAT ONE FREAKING ERROR -- that was how I got so well-acquainted with different line endings -- with both CSS and MySQL, the lack of a semi-colon is just... "does not compute"... I swear sometimes it felt like the server was giving me the "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that. " :D

Andria

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I never have been one to go in for freak diets. I use one simple technique which has always worked: move a little more, eat a little less. It's not very fast, but ALWAYS works. I needed to get back to my walks anyway; had gotten pretty good at climbing the hilly street I live on, back in the fall, but then got that nasty bacterial sinus infection and it just whomped me... then it got cold. Now it's getting nice again, so we're going to start doing our evening walks again. Didn't today, but we did groceries; walking the entire Walmart store is plenty of walking. :D

Andria
Please, oh please tell me that you shop at WallyWorld only because there isn't a Costco within reasonable driving distance.. :headbang:
Only under pain of death or severe hardship will I set foot in a Walmart. Period. Optional shopping? Fuck no!!
As you can see, I don't regard the Walton's establishment in very high regard.
And the one closest to us, I wouldn't send somebody I HATE into that store. That place scares the shit outta me!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
and thank you for that, I'm new to the mod team and sometimes forget how that badge is seen by the shellshocked from ecf.
as you can see, here it just means youre still a member with a few extra responsibilities.

We're just all soooooooooo thankful you got rid of that rabid blue-eyed dog as your avatar. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Please, oh please tell me that you shop at WallyWorld only because there isn't a Costco within reasonable driving distance.. :headbang:
Only under pain of death or severe hardship will I set foot in a Walmart. Period. Optional shopping? Fuck no!!
And the one closest to us, I wouldn't send somebody I HATE into that store. That place scares the shit outta me!

No Costco's here at all. There used to be Sam's Club, but I'm not entirely sure they're still around either. We actually do our grocerying at 4 different stores -- Kroger, Aldi, Ingles, and Walmart -- and that usually has to be 2-3 diff Walmarts, because whoever does the ordering at the one closest to us is A FUCKING RETARD! :facepalm:

We get the stuff at Walmart that we can't get better and cheaper at the other stores -- but fresh meats come from Kroger, milk, eggs, decaf coffee, and lean grnd beef from Aldi... potatoes MUST come from Ingles because the ones at Walmart always rot. Pretty much all the other stuff comes from one of the nearby Walmarts.

Andria

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

I love Walmart, lol!

But, where else would I go? I have 3 Super Walmarts close by, and not much else.

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What I love best about php is that it runs in an HTML framework -- HTML, I can do in my sleep! So when I do those "little tweaks" -- 9 times out of 10, it's really an HTML tweak; though I have on occasion looked up proper syntax for a real php tweak -- designing, I can do, and coding HTML and CSS.. but real programming? I gave up back when GW-BASIC was really kewl... ;)

I know what you mean about THAT ONE FREAKING ERROR -- that was how I got so well-acquainted with different line endings -- with both CSS and MySQL, the lack of a semi-colon is just... "does not compute"... I swear sometimes it felt like the server was giving me the "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that. " :D

Andria
Getting PHP to echo out HTML is easy-cheesy for the most part. Right up until you need to insert query results and mess up the syntax somewhere..
echo '<tr>
<td><div align="center"><a href="./handles/pullreg.php?FID=' . $row['FID'] . '">' . $row['FID'] . '</a></div></td>
<td><div align="right">' . $row['firstname'] . ' ' . $row['lastname'] . '</div></td>
<td><div align="center">' . money_format('%i',$totalreg) . '</div></td>
<td><div align="center"><a href="mailto:' . $row['email'] . '">send email</a></div></td>
<td><div align="center">' . $row['payment_type'] . '</div></td>
<td><div align="center">' . $row['payment_status'] . '</div></td>
<td><div align="left" class="zTableContentSmall">' . date("g:i:sa T M j, Y ",strtotime($row['record_created'])) . '</div></td>';​
One misplaced or mis-used " or ' and it's head-scratching time. :headbang:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Getting PHP to echo out HTML is easy-cheesy for the most part. Right up until you need to insert query results and mess up the syntax somewhere..
echo '<tr>
<td><div align="center"><a href="./handles/pullreg.php?FID=' . $row['FID'] . '">' . $row['FID'] . '</a></div></td>
<td><div align="right">' . $row['firstname'] . ' ' . $row['lastname'] . '</div></td>
<td><div align="center">' . money_format('%i',$totalreg) . '</div></td>
<td><div align="center"><a href="mailto:' . $row['email'] . '">send email</a></div></td>
<td><div align="center">' . $row['payment_type'] . '</div></td>
<td><div align="center">' . $row['payment_status'] . '</div></td>
<td><div align="left" class="zTableContentSmall">' . date("g:i:sa T M j, Y ",strtotime($row['record_created'])) . '</div></td>';​
One misplaced or mis-used " or ' and it's head-scratching time. :headbang:

Yes it is!

What I find really helpful is how the Joomla php files are formatted -- it helps a great deal, keeping the start and end quotes straight.

Andria

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My Walmarts are nice. Good meat and produce. Clean, normal people.

Krogers is awful. My truck doesn't fit in the damn parking lot. People don't fit in the aisles. The pharmacist is a bitch from hell! And the prices are outrageous. Plus I can't buy oil and filters or ammunition with my groceries. That sucks.

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My Walmarts are nice. Good meat and produce. Clean, normal people.
We have to drive 20 miles to get to one of those. The closest one to us took the place of a K-Mart and pulled all of their clientele into it, and even a few decent people too.
Only the wife and kids go to Walmart. They don't even ask if I want to go. They know the answer.
We have Fred Meyer here, which is owned by Kroger, but it's our preferred shopping place for the dailies. The Albertsons that's half mile away closed after big fustercluck buyout by a local chain, but it's re-opening soon as a Safeway.
The major commodity consumables for the pantry, we get those at Costco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors