Not open for further replies.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I (basically) quit drinking about 20 years ago...now I may have a glass of wine once in a great while.

Here's an odd thing: I tried that precursor to Shantix (can't remember what it's called now) to try to quit smoking in the late 90s. I kept smoking but it totally killed my desire for booze.

I have an occasional glass of wine, but I often forget about it if it's not sitting right in front of me. Really weird.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If it were not for the Lazy Mail Bitch that delivers to my rural address, by and by I would be happy with their service.

Like most of us, I am continuously receiving Vapemail and other items (I have an Amazon Prime account and the Mrs. and I order a ton of odds and ends from them).

If I get an item that she thinks is too big to fit in my mailbox (right or wrong) she will not even put it in here official USPS deliver vehicle to even attempt delivery.as she is too freaking lazy to turn into my driveway and drop it on my front porch. Even makes up complete BS as to why she could not attempt to deliver it. So far my favorite is that I keep a huge black attack dog chained to my front porch and she is too afraid.

A We are cat people and both of our feline masters are inside cats.
B I have a very nice front porch, the kind with columns holding up the roof of said porch. I would not scratch them up with a chain even if I did have a dog.

My second favorite is that the Mailbox was blocked!

It's a standard rural mailbox (the nice BIG Rubbermaid) that sits on top of a wood post along side of the road. Can't be blocked unless a freaking deer is standing in front of it.

But it the LAZY BITCH is on vacation or has the day off, my mail gets dropped off on the front porch no problem!

And yes, I have had some packages go on their own vacation according to USPS tracking. But I call the post office, give them the tracking number and they will make some phone calls and get my package turned around.

Overall, when you compare USPS shipping rates to UPS, FedEx and DHL, still the best bang for your shipping dollar.

But the LAZY MAIL BITCH has got to go but they will not fire her ass!

UncleRJ

We have kinda the opposite scenario... our regular mail guy is a champ, absolutely great; always says hello and waves if I'm outside, always closes the mailbox properly so the vibration from the passing trains doesn't make it fall open, and if something is too big for the box, he parks the truck, gets out, brings it to the porch, and rings the bell. Unfortunately, he has a few alternates, who are so lazy and/or stupid, they can't even figure out the proper way to close the mailbox. One of them did once bring some box to the porch, but didn't bother ringing the bell -- if I hadn't seen him, that box woulda been out there till my husband got home. But one of them once swore up and down that he did not have my pkg, even tho it said "out for delivery"... either he's too stupid, lazy, and/or blind to find it in the truck, or whoever loaded the pkg put it in the WRONG truck, and it toured Lawrenceville for 24 hrs before I got it.

If all USPS personnel were like our regular carrier, they would so totally rule, not one of us would ever have a complaint. Unfortunately, too many are like that guy's alternates and your regular carrier... uselessly filling a sinecure from which they cannot be fired without an act of Congress or something... maybe an act of God... like a tornado in their neighborhood. :D

As for UPS... there is NO POSSIBLE EXCUSE for them, considering what they charge. The thing I'm expecting is the keyboard folio for my tablet, which I ordered from ebay; I really need to leave them feedback that they really need to use USPS instead of UPS. The shipping is free, but I WOULD like to get it before the month is out! It says the expected delivery date is Tuesday, but... I'll expect it when I see it! :facepalm:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My favorite would have to be red snapper. I Use to catch a ton of them when I worked offshore.

red-snapper.jpg

My favorite is what they have up there by JuicyLucy... SALMON!!!!!!!!!! Num num num...

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My favorite is what they have up there by JuicyLucy... SALMON!!!!!!!!!! Num num num...

Andria

Man I was looking through our stash of smoked salmon today and it is MT. Can't believe it. We do have some halibut left from last June.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Man I was looking through our stash of smoked salmon today and it is MT. Can't believe it. We do have some halibut left from last June.

I've never liked fish all that much; when I was a kid, I wouldn't eat it at all. I'm still kinda picky about it, but my husband turned me on to salmon, and man, that shit is AWESOME! I make it with a butter-lemon-garlic sauce, and serve it with garlic-mushroom risotto and garlic bread... you can hear our arteries (and tastebuds!) hollering hallelujah for miles. :D By cooking all that garlic, the smell of the fish doesn't hang around and stink up the place. :)

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've never liked fish all that much; when I was a kid, I wouldn't eat it at all. I'm still kinda picky about it, but my husband turned me on to salmon, and man, that shit is AWESOME! I make it with a butter-lemon-garlic sauce, and serve it with garlic-mushroom risotto and garlic bread... you can hear our arteries (and tastebuds!) hollering hallelujah for miles. :D By cooking all that garlic, the smell of the fish doesn't hang around and stink up the place. :)

Andria

I love fishing, but never eat any of it at all period. Living up here, my husband eats like a king though. King salmon, king crab. It's practically free too.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I love fishing, but never eat any of it at all period. Living up here, my husband eats like a king though. King salmon, king crab. It's practically free too.

Have you ever seen "Blue Collar Comedy", specifically Bill Engvall's portion? His wife, in a hunting blind, whispering "Bill... Bill! what are we doing?" That would be me, either hunting or fishing. Me without electricity of some kind and an internet connection is very similar to a fish out of water. My idea of a nice campout is room service at the Hilton, and I will never hike anywhere; that's what cars are for!

I may build my own coils, but that's because I'm a tightwad, and no one will do it for me -- but I'm a "girly girl" to my toes... even if they're inside sneakers or boots. :)

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Dont like eating fish or just got tired of it?

I never really liked it; my father was a fisherman and its all we had when I was a kid, spam was like a major treat. To me it's all poverty food. As an adult, I would only eat it when we were seriously broke. We would get a subsistence permit for Copper River reds and kings and load the freezer, smoke and can it. We still get a good load every year.

My family loves it though: my kids eat salmon any way they can get it; they even mix it up like tuna for salmon salad. Sushi, they don't care.

I won't eat any seafood at all anymore, period.

Did I hear you say you needed my shipping address?

It's funny you should say that because I was going through the stash of smoked reds to give to someone in the mail who is doing me a big favor. But alas, the cupboard is bare.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I never really liked it; my father was a fisherman and its all we had when I was a kid, spam was like a major treat. To me it's all poverty food. As an adult, I would only eat it when we were seriously broke. We would get a subsistence permit for Copper River reds and kings and load the freezer, smoke and can it. We still get a good load every year.

I've heard that working-class folks in Maine feel that way about lobster!

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

My family loves it though: my kids eat salmon any way they can get it; they even mix it up like tuna for salmon salad. Sushi, they don't care.

It's funny you should say that because I was going through the stash of smoked reds to give to someone in the mail who is doing me a big favor. But alas, the cupboard is bare.

Was curious. For years I worked the oil platforms in the gulf of mexico and they always fed us out there damn good. Fridays was seafood night and we had more fried shrimp than you can imagine and it was all you can it, free. During the week we would have dishes with shrimp in it too. After working out there for 12 years I was so sick and tired of shrimp that I wanted nothing at all to do with it. I havent been offshore since the early 2000's and only now am I able to start eating shrimp again. Made me curious about your not wanting to eat fish :)

If you ever find yourself in the position that you have more salmon or crab than you can use and need the storage room, just let me know, would be more than happy to give ya my address and send the postage fee's :D

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Lucy, when is the best time to take a trip to Alaska...never been there and always wanted to see the state.

When are the wings & teeth-bugs the least annoying?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Lucy, when is the best time to take a trip to Alaska...never been there and always wanted to see the state.

When are the wings & teeth-bugs the least annoying?

I always say May for PWS - less bugs, less tourist and least likely to see to much rain or snow. It isn't as pretty because everything isn't greened up yet but you can go halibut fishing. No salmon till late June/early July.

Early June for the interior, salmon runs start earlier. July for far, far north.

I've only be SE in the winter, so don't know if you ever want to do the Juneau thing.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I always say May for PWS - less bugs, less tourist and least likely to see to much rain or snow. It isn't as pretty because everything isn't greened up yet but you can go halibut fishing. No salmon till late June/early July.

Early June for the interior, salmon runs start earlier. July for far, far north.

I've only be SE in the winter, so don't know if you ever want to do the Juneau thing.
Thanks for the information.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Was curious. For years I worked the oil platforms in the gulf of mexico and they always fed us out there damn good. Fridays was seafood night and we had more fried shrimp than you can imagine and it was all you can it, free. During the week we would have dishes with shrimp in it too. After working out there for 12 years I was so sick and tired of shrimp that I wanted nothing at all to do with it. I havent been offshore since the early 2000's and only now am I able to start eating shrimp again. Made me curious about your not wanting to eat fish :)

If you ever find yourself in the position that you have more salmon or crab than you can use and need the storage room, just let me know, would be more than happy to give ya my address and send the postage fee's :D

Sheesh, I know now why the smoked salmon is all gone: care packages to the kids. Yeah, Miss and Miss "Alaska sucks" calling and complaining the seafood on the west coast is too expensive and isn't fresh and playing on our tender hearts, lol.

I'm a super-taster and it is very difficult for me to eat anything out of the water, fresh or salt. I can do watermelon and some honeydew, but no cantaloupe, bitter melon. No nuts period, but am good with legumes. I also had bad food allergies as a kid and so things I might have liked I was never able to develop a taste for: absolutely no milk, cheese or anything out of a cow or goat. I eat pizza without cheese (yeah, I know).

I was the kid at the table who would sit there and cry for two hours, starring at two last bites of food not allowed to leave the table but unwilling to eat it, lol.

As a super-taster, I'm also a super-smeller. I think Andrea can relate to this. Even when I was a smoker, I could smell everything, now its way worse. It's like every single object on earth has an oder - some good, some bad, but I can smell it. I was born and raised to a family of big cigarette smokers, or I doubt I'd have ever taken it up. I remember just hating the smell when I was little.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As a super-taster, I'm also a super-smeller. I think Andrea can relate to this. Even when I was a smoker, I could smell everything, now its way worse. It's like every single object on earth has an oder - some good, some bad, but I can smell it. I was born and raised to a family of big cigarette smokers, or I doubt I'd have ever taken it up. I remember just hating the smell when I was little.

Absolutely, the super-smeller -- it's horrible. I've heard that the sense of taste is some very high percentage just a sense of smell, but I'm not sure; if my tastebuds are any keener than those of others, it's not by much... or maybe it's the 39 yrs of smoke poisoning... which didn't affect my sense of smell *too* much; even when I smoked a couple pks a day, I could smell things that most other people assured me I was hallucinating... but I never was.

On the other hand, even as a very young child I loved strongly-flavored foods that others hated -- I loved broccoli since I was old enough to beg my mom to buy me "trees," and even Brussels Sprouts... and those nutritional shakes like Ensure... I've always found them extremely appealing, and when I opened a bottle of B Complex vitamins, I understood that what I had been smelling from those shakes was the B vitamin enrichment.

But as I said, I had an ungodly sense of smell even when my head was perpetually wreathed in smoke; road tar seems like what Hell must actually smell like -- now, I will drive 10 miles out of my way to avoid it. And pretty much ALL disinfectants give me a sensation in my nose like I've just inhaled gasoline and snorted a lit match -- many perfumes cause me that same discomfort. But the smells of real roses and gardenias... makes me want to climb inside them and just live there. :D But my sense of taste seems fairly normal. My other super-keen sense is actually hearing -- I get accused of hallucinating sounds, too... but I never am. :D And I can correctly identify any voice I've ever heard before, within just a few seconds.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Absolutely, the super-smeller -- it's horrible. I've heard that the sense of taste is some very high percentage just a sense of smell, but I'm not sure; if my tastebuds are any keener than those of others, it's not by much... or maybe it's the 39 yrs of smoke poisoning... which didn't affect my sense of smell *too* much; even when I smoked a couple pks a day, I could smell things that most other people assured me I was hallucinating... but I never was.

On the other hand, even as a very young child I loved strongly-flavored foods that others hated -- I loved broccoli since I was old enough to beg my mom to buy me "trees," and even Brussels Sprouts... and those nutritional shakes like Ensure... I've always found them extremely appealing, and when I opened a bottle of B Complex vitamins, I understood that what I had been smelling from those shakes was the B vitamin enrichment.

But as I said, I had an ungodly sense of smell even when my head was perpetually wreathed in smoke; road tar seems like what Hell must actually smell like -- now, I will drive 10 miles out of my way to avoid it. And pretty much ALL disinfectants give me a sensation in my nose like I've just inhaled gasoline and snorted a lit match -- many perfumes cause me that same discomfort. But the smells of real roses and gardenias... makes me want to climb inside them and just live there. :D But my sense of taste seems fairly normal. My other super-keen sense is actually hearing -- I get accused of hallucinating sounds, too... but I never am. :D And I can correctly identify any voice I've ever heard before, within just a few seconds.

Andria

Super powers!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
We just had Salmon last night and yeah the smell can linger a while, the only downfall peeve of mine, but I love it:)
Good morning in here!!

haleysdadda

AKA BILL
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
G'morning all! GFYs! Only 2 days of adulting this week! They gave me an extra week (4 weeks total) this year and the ability to sell back a week once a year in our birthday month! I still love working in small job shops but this corporate shit is pretty kool too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors