Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good morning and GFY lurvlies people!

Don't sweat it Boden. I've come to the conclusion that bragging is far more often perceived than intended, making it a problem of the perceiver.

I often have a high level of enthusiasm and like to share it. Both hoping to find the like minded, and in the hopes of maybe introducing a new pleasure to people I like.

Coil on!

My motivation has always been to see if the hype around art coils was real.

So I made some
image.jpeg
And many more

I've found that the KISS principal holds.

Low mass high surface area always wins.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

So I made some
View attachment 52932
And many more

Yep that has been the results of my far more limited research too.
I like 27 and 28 ga the best so far.
Moving into multi wire parallel coils next.

I figure to use that coil of 24 ga I bought to make a foam cutter.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

So I made some
View attachment 52932
And many more

I think it's great that you figured that out, so people like me, who just want to vape, can feel secure that our simple coils are giving us exactly what we want -- a great vape. :) It's certain that I would never have the patience to create the whimsical coils I've seen in pics, so it's nice to know I really don't need to. ;)

Andria

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep that has been the results of my far more limited research too.
I like 27 and 28 ga the best so far.
Moving into multi wire parallel coils next.

I figure to use that coil of 24 ga I bought to make a foam cutter.
Same here, and with S.S I tend to prefer 30 to 32. A lil fragile to Rewick, but fast performing.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here's a weird question, for those of you with a techie bent: does the mod itself play a big part of how long a battery lasts? You know I got my new miniBook yesterday, pretty early; started vaping with it around 11:30am, which is close to around the same time I often start vaping, when I sleep late. Vaped on it pretty normally all day, till fairly late, around 3am-ish. When I checked it this morning, the battery indicator seems to have barely moved! It's true that I've been getting 2 full days out of these LG HE2s (with my iPV Mini), but by the looks of the indicator this morning, with this mod it seems I might even get 3 days from those awesome batteries.

Thoughts?

Andria

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a weird question, for those of you with a techie bent: does the mod itself play a big part of how long a battery lasts? You know I got my new miniBook yesterday, pretty early; started vaping with it around 11:30am, which is close to around the same time I often start vaping, when I sleep late. Vaped on it pretty normally all day, till fairly late, around 3am-ish. When I checked it this morning, the battery indicator seems to have barely moved! It's true that I've been getting 2 full days out of these LG HE2s (with my iPV Mini), but by the looks of the indicator this morning, with this mod it seems I might even get 3 days from those awesome batteries.

Thoughts?

Andria
In a small way. Efficiency ranges from 95 to 99ish percent. Resistance and mah play a MUCH larger role.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In a small way. Efficiency ranges from 95 to 99ish percent. Resistance and mah play a MUCH larger role.

Yeah I knew about resistance -- that's why, even when I found the way to drop my iPV Mini into PWM mode, I stayed with 2+Ω coils -- batteries last a lot longer than with 1.7Ω coils!

I'm just continually impressed with these LG HE2s; they're the same mAh rating as the Samsung 25Rs, but really do last longer. I can't get quite 2 full days out of the 25Rs, but do it constantly with the HE2s.

But I think I just found another reason to be impressed with Sigelei products, if their efficiency is so much better than other mods. :)

Andria

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I knew about resistance -- that's why, even when I found the way to drop my iPV Mini into PWM mode, I stayed with 2+Ω coils -- batteries last a lot longer than with 1.7Ω coils!

I'm just continually impressed with these LG HE2s; they're the same mAh rating as the Samsung 25Rs, but really do last longer. I can't get quite 2 full days out of the 25Rs, but do it constantly with the HE2s.

But I think I just found another reason to be impressed with Sigelei products, if their efficiency is so much better than other mods. :)

Andria
Yep, I'd guess Sigel either to be on the high end.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Busy and hot so far.
But I likes it :)
Cromwell as a retiree.

5429faece691b2012f867140_736.jpg

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Thoughts?

Andria
It depends on how the DC-DC converter is tuned and the voltage out (Vout) you use. You just hit a good combination of variables. Generally keeping the Vout at around 3.7-3.9V will give you the sweet spot in a single cell converter. It may drop off fast once the cell voltage (Vin) drops below 3.5V

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think it's great that you figured that out, so people like me, who just want to vape, can feel secure that our simple coils are giving us exactly what we want -- a great vape. :) It's certain that I would never have the patience to create the whimsical coils I've seen in pics, so it's nice to know I really don't need to. ;)

Andria
I have found one thing that makes a coil work better. I'm about to make a how too video in a few minutes. I think this one small change will work for you.

Better as in flavor is more pronounced.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It depends on how the DC-DC converter is tuned and the voltage out (Vout) you use. You just hit a good combination of variables. Generally keeping the Vout at around 3.7-3.9V will give you the sweet spot in a single cell converter. It may drop off fast once the cell voltage (Vin) drops below 3.5V

I seem to use greater v out than that; with a 2.06Ω coil, at 9w, it's about 4.3v out, then up to about 4.4v-ish if I go up to 9.5v.

The only thing that kinda irks me about this mod is being unable to get an actual numerical battery-remaining figure; strictly the visual img on the screen (I love that the CF4's have not only the img, but will give an actual figure if you press both + and - buttons). I've been using it now today since around 11am, and it's showing about 3/4 of battery power left. So I'll surely get the full 2nd day, but maybe not a 3rd. I had forgotten how they start using the power a bit faster, as they drop.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey you fugees! Keep on keeping on with a GFY snack bar.
Hope all is well. :)

Enjoying the RSST with a 1.2 ohm 2.5 mm ID coil using
6 watts. Cloudy enough to suit me. Ultimately, we all find
what we each enjoy & opinions of others become only
that, opinions. Got vapes? If so, enjoy your vape. :)

Excuse me, stuff to attend. :)

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I seem to use greater v out than that; with a 2.06Ω coil, at 9w, it's about 4.3v out, then up to about 4.4v-ish if I go up to 9.5v.

The only thing that kinda irks me about this mod is being unable to get an actual numerical battery-remaining figure; strictly the visual img on the screen (I love that the CF4's have not only the img, but will give an actual figure if you press both + and - buttons). I've been using it now today since around 11am, and it's showing about 3/4 of battery power left. So I'll surely get the full 2nd day, but maybe not a 3rd. I had forgotten how they start using the power a bit faster, as they drop.

Andria
4.3V isn't much boost so the converter is very efficient there. Converters become heaters if you use a lot of boost (5-9V) or a lot of buck (1.5-3V) basically the further you get from 3.7-4V the more work the converter has to do and the less efficient it becomes.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This place not as active as ecf..kinda dead actually..feel like I'm in a
untitled-png.52936
Hi, welcome to the madness that is this thread. You arrived during the mid day adulting slump, but believe me when I say that there are times the posts multiply faster than a pair of horny rabbits. Ummm, well, you get the point.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This place not as active as ecf..kinda dead actually..feel like I'm in a
untitled-png.52936

I felt that way at first, when I first got here from ECF. But after you get to know the folks around here, you'll find that it really picks up. And yeah, it does have a few downtimes thru the day, nicely balanced by some hours where it's just HELLZAPOPPIN! :D

Welcome. All ECF refugees except blatant trolls welcome here -- actually we even welcome the trolls, just to have fun with 'em and then talk about them behind their back after they get banished. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
4.3V isn't much boost so the converter is very efficient there. Converters become heaters if you use a lot of boost (5-9V) or a lot of buck (1.5-3V) basically the further you get from 3.7-4V the more work the converter has to do and the less efficient it becomes.

Well that's good to know! Even at my top setting, 10w, it's only getting to maybe 4.55v, which still isn't too much boost. Cool!!! :)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have found one thing that makes a coil work better. I'm about to make a how too video in a few minutes. I think this one small change will work for you.

Better as in flavor is more pronounced.

That bowed coil you posted was a good one, but I stopped doing that; 1) it's a lot of trouble, trying to keep the top of the wraps separated and the bottom of it close together, and 2) sometimes I have issues with the lil doohickey on the top cap of my Achilles running into the coil, causing much mayhem with the resistance reading, I guess a short. So I mainly just stick with a flat coil now, not widely-spaced wraps, but not stuck right together either.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yow. If I flamed 29ga like that, it wouldn't even hold up to mounting, without snapping! I give it just a brief run thru a Bic lighter's flame... wrap it, keeping the wraps as close together as i can manage.... which isn't terribly close, after I'm finished, but close enough that I can get it mounted, then pulse it and get it just slightly more compressed -- I wait a sec after pulsing before using the needle-nose on it, so the wraps don't stay stuck together, but it does compress it a little. But I couldn't flame my 29ga whle it's still mounted on the rod (or actually in my case, a 3/32 drillbit), because the wraps aren't yet very close together at all; 29ga is a lot more springy than 26ga!

Andria

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yow. If I flamed 29ga like that, it wouldn't even hold up to mounting, without snapping! I give it just a brief run thru a Bic lighter's flame... wrap it, keeping the wraps as close together as i can manage.... which isn't terribly close, after I'm finished, but close enough that I can get it mounted, then pulse it and get it just slightly more compressed -- I wait a sec after pulsing before using the needle-nose on it, so the wraps don't stay stuck together, but it does compress it a little. But I couldn't flame my 29ga whle it's still mounted on the rod (or actually in my case, a 3/32 drillbit), because the wraps aren't yet very close together at all; 29ga is a lot more springy than 26ga!

Andria
The SS rods keep the wire from getting as hot as what you are doing.

This is 30g done this way
image.jpeg

This is a 32g 6 wire braid
image.jpeg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But I couldn't flame my 29ga whle it's still mounted on the rod (or actually in my case, a 3/32 drillbit), because the wraps aren't yet very close together at all; 29ga is a lot more springy than 26ga!

Andria

28g is rather springy as well, least in my case it is so. Had thoughts of making a springy toy that is a joy for every girl, or boy. :) Hey brudder Spanky, while I'm here, spread the love. GFY!

Last edited:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
FYI: when I post builds its not for showing off. I think of them more as mini reviews. When I see a new coil I wanna try it and I find building coils, even art coils, relaxing.

The more challenging the build the better as you have to quiet your mind and focus on what you are doing.

The pics are so ya'll can see what I'm talking about.
Well, if I was that good, I WOULD be showing off. :D But, I'm not......:zombie:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the same problem on my videos, I have to constantly remind viewers that it looks WAY hotter on camera than it does in person. I do a very faint orange glow when I'm firing SS, but on the camera it looks like I'm just firing the hell out of it
Makes me yearn for roasted marshmallows and campfire songs. And ghost stories. And a million dollars. :D
And that's the only thing I need are these things. I don't need anything else. Just the marshmallows.....and the campfire.......and the ghost stories.....etc....etc.....etc......

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors