Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So today presented itself with a dilemma. An acquaintance of mine is moving away to Germany permanently. He has a gecko named Clyde that can't make the trip. He wants me to take over care of little Clyde. So, do I take on the responsibility of Clyde the gecko or continue my very slow free wheeling sloth lifestyle of no pets to worry about? The last time I had a pet, as a preteen, those hermit crabs didn't meet a very pleasant end...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Leopard Gecko? They're super easy. Food and water once a week, line the tank with paper towels, clean those maybe once a month. All in all I don't think we spend more than an hour a month maintaining ours. We inherited it from our oldest. The gecko was five years old when she got it. She got it when she was 18, so 10 years ago. That's what you should be aware of, that they can live a pretty long time. Not sure what the natural lifespan is, but ours is 15 years old.

And hey, maybe you'll get 15% off your auto insurance. :giggle:

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Meds help. WTA helps, and...........................We your friends so enjoy this song, dedicated to YOU!

That's sweet boo :inlove::inlove:

I know many probably don't wanna hear all my woes or are tired of hearing them but yall give me a place to vent and yall don't know how grateful I am for that. It has helped me to maintain a semblance of sanity. Doc said I was suffering from severe depression with anxiety/panic attacks and gave me some Xanax to take a couple times a day and they help, hell they usually knock me out.
Talked to the cardiologist yesterday and he wants to go back into my heart, this time the left side. Something else to worry about.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I know many probably don't wanna hear all my woes or are tired of hearing them but yall give me a place to vent and yall don't know how grateful I am for that. It has helped me to maintain a semblance of sanity. Doc said I was suffering from severe depression with anxiety/panic attacks and gave me some Xanax to take a couple times a day and they help, hell they usually knock me out.
Talked to the cardiologist yesterday and he wants to go back into my heart, this time the left side. Something else to worry about.

* friendly hug * Try not worrying about so much for a little bit. Something I do is go through the alphabet and list 1 thing for each letter I'm grateful for having/experiencing. If you can make it through all the letters, go back and do it again listing 3 things for each. It can help at times.

And don't worry about friends not wanting to hear your woes. It is why friends exist, that and making bodies vanish, counter forensic wild goose chases. Life is difficult for all of us in some way, or another.

We each bring our own meaning and purpose to life, part of that for our greatest kindred is in loving and being loved. Even as friends there is love. Love doesn't have conditions, or at least I don't think it does. "Blah, blah, blah .. but love is just chemicals." "GFY!"

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You're not a whiner, Doc. You've been plagued by a lot of serious shit all at once. Sharing it with us, is letting us care (and pray) about you. Depression SUCKS. I think I'd rather have cancer, except I come out of depression. Fucking nightmare stuff, though. Usually far worse than the triggers that bring it. It's when you CAN'T unload and get a little sympathy, that you have REAL problems. So here is a few dozen shoulders for you to lean on, GOOD man.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Why does nobody mention the best unofficial holiday of all, March 14th, Steak and Blowjob Day?
I've never heard of that one. :cool:
You're not a whiner, Doc. You've been plagued by a lot of serious shit all at once. Sharing it with us, is letting us care (and pray) about you. Depression SUCKS. I think I'd rather have cancer, except I come out of depression. Fucking nightmare stuff, though. Usually far worse than the triggers that bring it. It's when you CAN'T unload and get a little sympathy, that you have REAL problems. So here is a few dozen shoulders for you to lean on, GOOD man.
Excellent reply!!
We ARE here for you Choppy!

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Personally I've pretty much ignored February 14th for the past 10 years except to purchase my Dove chocolate hearts. Yum!!!
IMG_0410.JPG

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried GIMP. Not even CLOSE to Photoshop, though I do like the kind of reflecting you can do with it. I don't even have to THINK about how to use Photoshop, it's just there; I've used it for about 10-12 yrs now, and it's effortless. With GIMP, I had to think, look up, try out, fail, try again, fail, try again... *sigh* Huge PITA.

The tweaking, the bash or batch files... meh. I learned to do highly sophisticated batchfiles in DOS, with errorlevels and looping and shit, because I had to, running a DOS-based BBS that needed to exit at different times to do various things, but lately... nah. I don't do the 'power user' shit much anymore at all; just have no real need.

It's just too much effort, for my present needs. I *am* interested in learning more about Android, because I think I'd like to "root" my phone and get rid of a lot of useless crap that was pre-installed on it, but it's an "effort in progress" right now; I've read enough about the rooting that I know I need to learn more, before I do that.

Plus, I'm apparently "free tech support" for my mom, my aunt, even my husband, anytime their Windows isn't acting right. If I abandon it, I may forget a lot of the details, and that wouldn't be helpful, when I'm trying to help out PC-ignorant family members.

Andria
The GIMP is very powerful but you have to rethink the way you do things if you're used to Adobe.

Linux, I've used it for years and it's come a long way. It's actually easier to use and maintain than Windows. You do have to choose which Desktop environment you want, I'd recommend KDE. As for which distribution, I very highly recommended Linux Mint.

Got tired of having to unfuck my Dad's computer every other week and put Linux on. Only had to do a distro upgrade once a year after that. He used it for over a decade up until he passed away last year.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Holy Crap @doc_iguana I had no idea what I was missing. I was scrounging around for something new to put in my TC Merlin this morning, and stumbled on a 30ml bottle of King Kake v7 that had gotten shuffled to the back of the shelf 4 months ago. I thought it was excellent before, but damn! I don't know if it's the TC, or the Merlin, or the fact it actually had time to steep, but it's fricking amazing!

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Holy Crap @doc_iguana I had no idea what I was missing. I was scrounging around for something new to put in my TC Merlin this morning, and stumbled on a 30ml bottle of King Kake v7 that had gotten shuffled to the back of the shelf 4 months ago. I thought it was excellent before, but damn! I don't know if it's the TC, or the Merlin, or the fact it actually had time to steep, but it's fricking amazing!
I have some King Cake juice too!!!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree with Morely and Moo, choppie.. vent all you like. You're DEFINITELY NOT a whiner! Just having a serious run of karma or something. The best thing about dealing with karma is, when you're done, you're done. Debt paid. Even if you have no earthly idea just what the hell you're paying for. :D

And hey g'mornin' fugees. GFYs merrily. I see there's a tropical storm that might turn into a hurricane for NW FL, and it promises to bring a lot of rain to central GA too. Hope it doesn't decide to turn more northerly; a little rain would be ok, but anything else, STAY THE FUCK AWAY!!!

Andria

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have some King Cake juice too!!!

Yep, that is some AMAZING tasty stuff. STILL like the V2 best, but the 7 is outrageously good too. Have you had Doc's "Divine Emission" in your mouf yet?

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, that is some AMAZING tasty stuff. STILL like the V2 best, but the 7 is outrageously good too. Have you had Doc's "Divine Emission" in your mouf yet?
No! Tell me more? I may have to request that recipe.
I still haven't mixed up any of the KK v8 , but I think I like v7 better than v2. I can never remember which is which by the names he came up with though.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The GIMP is very powerful but you have to rethink the way you do things if you're used to Adobe.

Linux, I've used it for years and it's come a long way. It's actually easier to use and maintain than Windows. You do have to choose which Desktop environment you want, I'd recommend KDE. As for which distribution, I very highly recommended Linux Mint.

Got tired of having to unfuck my Dad's computer every other week and put Linux on. Only had to do a distro upgrade once a year after that. He used it for over a decade up until he passed away last year.

Eeeeh... I'll pass. I managed to survive WinME, I can probably survive ANY Win version now. :D If I put Linux on my mom's, aunt's, or husband's machines, none of them would ever use a computer again, guaranteed. Hmm maybe that WOULD be a good plan. :giggle:

At the time I was first learning DOS, I had a new baby and a raging case of postpartum depression, so I desperately needed something to think about other than shitty diapers and killing myself; DOS and BBS's did a great job. Now... it's just too much effort.

Andria

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No! Tell me more? I may have to request that recipe.
I still haven't mixed up any of the KK v8 , but I think I like v7 better than v2. I can never remember which is which by the names he came up with though.

V2 is Bayou Classic, V7 is the MardiGras Mouthgasm, V8 is Voodoo Chile

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Eeeeh... I'll pass. I managed to survive WinME, I can probably survive ANY Win version now. :D If I put Linux on my mom's, aunt's, or husband's machines, none of them would ever use a computer again, guaranteed. Hmm maybe that WOULD be a good plan. :giggle:

At the time I was first learning DOS, I had a new baby and a raging case of postpartum depression, so I desperately needed something to think about other than shitty diapers and killing myself; DOS and BBS's did a great job. Now... it's just too much effort.

Andria
Don't get Windows 10 or 8 for that matter. Convoluted frustrating piece of shit.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't get Windows 10 or 8 for that matter. Convoluted frustrating piece of shit.

So far I've found Win8.1 fairly easy to deal with. At first it was just puzzling, with those "blocks," but I very quickly found the way to get my old regular desktop back, and a program to even give me a start menu, so I don't really have any issues with it. I think I finally resolved the one issue I did have, with it updating and shutting down any damn time it felt like it; now it can download updates all day if it wants, but won't install them until I give it permission -- like when i DON'T have a bunch of shit open that I haven't saved yet!

But I really think the main reason I don't have too many issues is because of 16GB of RAM. :D Most issues I've had with Windows have been because it's a memory hog and resource thief, using them and then not releasing them. With 16gb of RAM, that doesn't happen anymore.

The random lockups and BSODs that happened daily with WinME, never happen, or perhaps I should say "very rarely" -- I think I've had 2 hard lockups in 2 1/2 yrs use of Win8.1.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So, weather update for my fellow weather geeks. Looks like the "eye" of TS Hermine is still a couple hundred miles offshore, but the edge of it is making landfall from Panana City to Tampa. The "eye" doesn't appear to be too organized at the moment, hence still a trop storm, but if it gets much more organized, it WILL be a hurricane.

tropstormHermine.jpg

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Today was suppose to be my get internet at the new place day but once again things just didn't work out the way I hoped they would. The tech came out, climbed the pole and found horrible signal strength so now they had to reschedule to get another group out here who can work on the pole before they can actually install the cable internet. Of course that will take another week. At least I still have the ability of using my cell phone as a hot spot. It is better than nothing.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, weather update for my fellow weather geeks. Looks like the "eye" of TS Hermine is still a couple hundred miles offshore, but the edge of it is making landfall from Panana City to Tampa. The "eye" doesn't appear to be too organized at the moment, hence still a trop storm, but if it gets much more organized, it WILL be a hurricane.

View attachment 60498

Andria

I been watching that storm since it was called invest 9 and in the Atlantic. Its the most defined it has been yet. Hope yall stay dry Andria.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I been watching that storm since it was called invest 9 and in the Atlantic. Its the most defined it has been yet. Hope yall stay dry Andria.

Well, I expect we may get a little rain from it this weekend, but hopefully it will decrease drastically in both organization and quantity, once it's gone all the way across FL and most of GA.

One thing I noticed, though, which might not bode well for SC -- remember that godawful flood they had last year? When I first looked at the weather radar, I noted that Hermine is sending some outlying stuff in a NE direction... and there's another big ridge that's heading in a SE direction, over VA... if those 2 systems meet up over SC, it might be another mess for them.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors