JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It makes me sick just watching someone eat the rancid shit......:giggle:

It makes eating out really annoying too. A few years ago, it seems almost every menu started slathering cheese on everything - often without mentioning it on the menu.

I've had it pop up in very unlikely dishes like BLTs, gravy and scrambled eggs, and once, a teriyaki chicken sandwich.

It really pisses me off when it unexpectedly shows up in salads.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
WLRE5FX0HgX7VF82KkpLKFg_sIBf_3j_8suWv14dgYo

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It makes eating out really annoying too. A few years ago, it seems almost every menu started slathering cheese on everything - often without mentioning it on the menu.

I've had it pop up in very unlikely dishes like BLTs, gravy and scrambled eggs, and once, a teriyaki chicken sandwich.

It really pisses me off when it unexpectedly shows up in salads.
Especially on salads, when they sprinkle that grated cheddar all over everything and it turns to fucking slime.....!

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mornin', GFYs, and Windows, UNFUCK YOU! It bugs the SHIT outta me when I come in here in the morning and find my computer shut down, when I DIDN'T FUCKING AUTHORIZE THAT! And I have no earthly idea how to set it so it won't do that; it should ONLY update WHEN I AUTHORIZE IT! I used to know how to set it that way, with WinXP Pro, but now with 8.1.... GAHHHHHHHHHHH! :gaah:

Andria

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Mornin', GFYs, and Windows, UNFUCK YOU! It bugs the SHIT outta me when I come in here in the morning and find my computer shut down, when I DIDN'T FUCKING AUTHORIZE THAT! And I have no earthly idea how to set it so it won't do that; it should ONLY update WHEN I AUTHORIZE IT! I used to know how to set it that way, with WinXP Pro, but now with 8.1.... GAHHHHHHHHHHH! :gaah:

Andria
It's in the system settings

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, I *think* I fixed it so it won't automatically update and shut down, but time will tell. I set it to "automatically download but let me choose whether to install" instead of "automatically update". Stupid asshole thing!

Andria

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was wondering if anyone would get that after I sent it, haha
Been slowly working my way through my first Ironman XCOM2 game. A little over halfway through. So far only lost 1 of my soldiers. Of course I renamed every soldier after family or friends. So I had had to call my son and tell him I was sorry that I blew up his cover (a car, yeah I know, don't take cover behind anything that might explode) in a little friendly fire incident. Of course that still wouldn't have killed him, but I had previously revealed an enemy pod on my final move of the turn (I know, rookie mistake) so he'd already been hit by an Advent Stunlancer.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Been slowly working my way through my first Ironman XCOM2 game. A little over halfway through. So far only lost 1 of my soldiers. Of course I renamed every soldier after family or friends. So I had had to call my son and tell him I was sorry that I blew up his cover (a car, yeah I know, don't take cover behind anything that might explode) in a little friendly fire incident. Of course that still wouldn't have killed him, but I had previously revealed an enemy pod on my final move of the turn (I know, rookie mistake) so he'd already been hit by an Advent Stunlancer.
I almost, almost bought that game when it was on steam sale. But heard it was pretty buggy. Went with the new deus ex instead. I'm a huge deus ex fan

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I almost, almost bought that game when it was on steam sale. But heard it was pretty buggy. Went with the new deus ex instead. I'm a huge deus ex fan

No bugs that I've experienced really. Been through a dozen or so non Ironman campaigns. Had no idea until I tried Ironman exactly how often I savescummed.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Andria

Quit being frustrated with Windows altogether. Try Debian or Ubuntu GNU Linux instead. Both do have most compatible applications from Windows you would need. You can get a free Office style suite called LibreOffice that is fully Open Source, free to use and writes files in most standard formats, even Windows formats.

There are all kinds of text editors, e-mail clients, instant messaging, some twitter clients, games & access to using Steam. Neither are really too terribly difficult to set up and the learning curve to learn doing in them isn't outrageous either. N.A.S.A uses Debian if they've not swapped for a Red Hat based distro, had head it was considered but not heard anything else.

Besides Linux doesn't do anything you don't authorize. Getting viruses on Linux is almost unheard of as everything is open to scrutiny by users, developers. Linux also blocks a lot of malware. If you set up your own email server on a computer, you can eliminate a lot of spam too via Spam Assassin or Bogo Filter.

Granted, you may need to be a bit more aware of the computing environment. For example you'll need to keep your software updated to keep the system secure. Both distributions I suggest here do have software updating scripts/programs which you can schedule checks.

Also don't be too concerned when user nobody, or Casper comes into your system to tweak the software. These are usually highly vetted and ethical *cough* hackers *cough* developers of software that will not do anything malicious to your system, nor collect any information from it beyond that needed for updating the software/s. In summary, these are the good guy hackers. :)

Also a lot of the updating processes are scripted and automated, then these scripts and programs are hash encrypted and secured code which does only what is required. And yes, there are plenty of back end checks, audits by independent sources. There is high level of peer review.

Been using Debian or Debian based GNU Linux for over ten years now. I could feasibly use Red Hat based distributions as well. I simply prefer Debian over Red Hat because I suppose Debian is more counter culture yet has its own culture.

ETA: To me Debian is more of the "home user" or hobbyist end distribution where as Red Hat seems more the "enterprise user" or big business end distribution. Suppose choice in that is in formal versus informal. I like the informal because it allows for more of an intimate expression in computing over the formal where everyone wears suits and ties, lab coats. Again, this is merely subjective observation.

Plus most if not all of the programs are free to use, free to explore to change as long as credits are acknowledged. Cannot say I really miss Windows at all.

Well, this is only a suggestion. I'm sure you're keen enough to figure what you desire doing. There is a lot of freely available documentation, help and support for Linux as well if decide to try it. Unlike Windows, pay $3.00 per minute for a tech support call lasting an hour and the techie can only walk you through the help menu you've already gone through half a dozen times. Then you ask, got any other suggestions? The techie ends the call. Nope, not missed it all. :)

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've actually considered Linux for quite a long time, but I just don't feel like learning a new OS; I've spent a couple decades learning all the quirks and intricacies of Windows, and I hate to throw that away. And I like the software I have -- Photoshop, for example. Photoshop simply has no competition, period.

As I learn more about the Android OS on my phone, which I understand is based on Linux, I might become more willing to chuck Windows on my PC, because lord knows it's a trial and I'm sick to death of being a microsloth beta tester... but I remember how hard it was to learn DOS, and Windows, and I just don't feel like making that much effort anymore.

Andria

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've actually considered Linux for quite a long time, but I just don't feel like learning a new OS; I've spent a couple decades learning all the quirks and intricacies of Windows, and I hate to throw that away. And I like the software I have -- Photoshop, for example. Photoshop simply has no competition, period.

As I learn more about the Android OS on my phone, which I understand is based on Linux, I might become more willing to chuck Windows on my PC, because lord knows it's a trial and I'm sick to death of being a microsloth beta tester... but I remember how hard it was to learn DOS, and Windows, and I just don't feel like making that much effort anymore.

Andria

Give the GIMP a go against your Photoshop, there is a Windows version available. My wife who likes PhotoShop has used Gimp and seems to like it well enough. She doesn't do a lot of high end graphx work though, yet. There is also ImageMagick what has a Windows version.

Yes, I will get you assimilated into the Linux borg yet. This is my mission and I will not fail. Why not? Well, I have been trying to get my mom onto Linux. I know damn well she's used CMP, and Echo from Unix in her different jobs. An insurance company had her using the prototype for Echo to do up all the paperwork. The hospital used CMP fronted by a zenity style gui under some crappy Windows socket. But will she use straight plain old Linux for around the house? Nooo. Bah!

Your experience using DOS will pay off greatly in Linux. You can write scripts for the command line in Linux. Some might dismiss my next comparison, but Bash scripting in Linux is to me akin to writing Batch files in Dos. Bash is the generally agreed upon standard Linux command access to the Linux kernel, a DOS of sorts. There are others like csh, korn, zsh but bash is fairly much the adopted standard command.

You can also set up Linux by tweaking similar to how you did in Windows. There are dconf, gconf which act similar to Windows Registry although they are completely different in other ways. You can create .rc files for a lot of programs, which to me seem like .ini files. A lot of what you know from Windows will carry over, it might be just a smidge different in handling but the core knowledge & experience remains the same.

Also in Linux you can set up cron jobs, which is having programs do things without you needing to tell them at certain times. This is real fun in freaking out my wife at times. I go into her system a bit and create little jobs to call a dialogue box to tell her I love her. Although doing so is a bit tricky as we're not in complete charge of the network, sometimes I get snafued and blocked.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Give the GIMP a go against your Photoshop, there is a Windows version available. My wife who likes PhotoShop has used Gimp and seems to like it well enough. She doesn't do a lot of high end graphx work though, yet. There is also ImageMagick what has a Windows version.

Yes, I will get you assimilated into the Linux borg yet. This is my mission and I will not fail. Why not? Well, I have been trying to get my mom onto Linux. I know damn well she's used CMP, and Echo from Unix in her different jobs. An insurance company had her using the prototype for Echo to do up all the paperwork. The hospital used CMP fronted by a zenity style gui under some crappy Windows socket. But will she use straight plain old Linux for around the house? Nooo. Bah!

Your experience using DOS will pay off greatly in Linux. You can write scripts for the command line in Linux. Some might dismiss my next comparison, but Bash scripting in Linux is to me akin to writing Batch files in Dos. Bash is the generally agreed upon standard Linux command access to the Linux kernel, a DOS of sorts. There are others like csh, korn, zsh but bash is fairly much the adopted standard command.

You can also set up Linux by tweaking similar to how you did in Windows. There are dconf, gconf which act similar to Windows Registry although they are completely different in other ways. You can create .rc files for a lot of programs, which to me seem like .ini files. A lot of what you know from Windows will carry over, it might be just a smidge different in handling but the core knowledge & experience remains the same.

Also in Linux you can set up cron jobs, which is having programs do things without you needing to tell them at certain times. This is real fun in freaking out my wife at times. I go into her system a bit and create little jobs to call a dialogue box to tell her I love her. Although doing so is a bit tricky as we're not in complete charge of the network, sometimes I get snafued and blocked.

I've tried GIMP. Not even CLOSE to Photoshop, though I do like the kind of reflecting you can do with it. I don't even have to THINK about how to use Photoshop, it's just there; I've used it for about 10-12 yrs now, and it's effortless. With GIMP, I had to think, look up, try out, fail, try again, fail, try again... *sigh* Huge PITA.

The tweaking, the bash or batch files... meh. I learned to do highly sophisticated batchfiles in DOS, with errorlevels and looping and shit, because I had to, running a DOS-based BBS that needed to exit at different times to do various things, but lately... nah. I don't do the 'power user' shit much anymore at all; just have no real need.

It's just too much effort, for my present needs. I *am* interested in learning more about Android, because I think I'd like to "root" my phone and get rid of a lot of useless crap that was pre-installed on it, but it's an "effort in progress" right now; I've read enough about the rooting that I know I need to learn more, before I do that.

Plus, I'm apparently "free tech support" for my mom, my aunt, even my husband, anytime their Windows isn't acting right. If I abandon it, I may forget a lot of the details, and that wouldn't be helpful, when I'm trying to help out PC-ignorant family members.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors