Become a Patron!

Eleaf iStick ... compact 20w box mod

BigDaddyQ

Member For 4 Years
You know you might be able to get a torx bit and remove the top cap and the bottom cap, and you'll see some plastic slips that hold the buttons in, you might be able to fix it, and yes I've taken mine apart already, you pull those plastic slip things out and turn it over and the buttons just fall out, now getting them back in is much harder, but what do you have to lose?

Yeah I did that, but the housing for the switch is broken in thee of the corners. And it's not worth the trouble to repair. I'll just get another one as some point. In the mean time, I can use a little screw driver to short the switch to lower wattage lol.

richardrpsgt

Member For 4 Years
Well, I've discovered that with a 1. 6 BVC it will burn my doctored up hawk sauce in short order, even if set at 8 watts. Other juices seem okay but I added quite a bit of sweet cream flavoring to that particular mix.
I guess if it's pulsing 5. 5 volts that's actually going over the 5 volt limit of the BVC and burns that particular mix of juice. I haven't had a problem with the one 1. 8 BVC I have that has a 6 volt limit. Unfortunately I stocked up with 1.6 during the MFS sale a couple of weeks ago.
Trial and error, more error, learning learning learning...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Hermit... Great observation! This is what I've been trying to communicate. The iStick is incapable of firing below 4.17 Vrms which is equal to a constant 4.17VDC.

My mail-person delivered today as I was climbing into my vehicle for the airport. My pre-ordered iStick finally arrived. Unfortunately, I find myself out of town for a few weeks without an oscilloscope. But, my handy DMM was packed in my luggage.

I immediately unwrapped the iStick and threw my KFL+ on it for the hour drive to the airport. A displayed 6W fired like 12W. No doubt. When I got to the hotel I tore apart my luggage to set up a little lab on the corner desk. I KNOW my DMM measures PWM in average Volts (Vavg). Sure enough, my meter matched the iStick display at every Voltage level I set, within .05V. Its regulation is actually quite good.

For giggles, I set up both the VTR and VAMO for the same test and found what I expected. For example, @ 3.5V settings: the iStick metered 3.5V, VAMO 1.9V and the VTR 2.2V. This is as I expected. The VAMO & VTR are definitely outputting RMS Voltage (Vrms) and fire different peak Voltage.

I'll do a quick first impression of the iStick tomorrow or the next day. The real takeaway from today is: The iStick is really a 4.2 - 5.5V device. That doesn't necessarily make it bad, just not what the manufacturer claims it to be.

Goodnight all...

More excellence... and dedication! :D

So, annoyingly, it's very good at doing the wrong calculation :p I suspect it will also be good at maintaining that as the battery level decreases - that its output would decrease with battery level was only ever posited as a theory by the poster that made that first table; I don't think anyone has measured that objectively.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Excellence>>>
20141007_141451_resized_zps8052e059.jpg

Dedication>>>
20141007_141510_resized_zps69cfa9df.jpg

I am seriously impressed with this Device that I am actually speechless.
I ordered one this morning to replace my Vamo V5 which is actually quite nice but I hate using it in 18650 mode cause it's just way too damn long so I use it in 18350 mode but sucks that way cause the battery life is terrible as it's only about 800mah. I am quite looking forward to this one as I will be able to vape a lot longer in between charges. My only wish is that they made it so the 18650 battery they use in these was easily replaceable. Could bump this up to 2600 mah with my Sony VTC-5's which I could do but rather not crack it open and start de-soldering and soldering batteries on a brand new device.

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
General iStick observations after 36 hours:

I knew it was small. But I wasn't prepared for how tiny it actually is. The iStick makes a great replacement for the short Egos as an awesome stealth vape. It is light but not overly so. I have largeish hands. I'm still experimenting and trying to get comfortable with it for longer use. Currently, I'm wishing it was 1/3 to 1/2" taller. If it were, all the buttons would be well located for me.

Fit and finish are above average. Buttons are tactile and somewhat clicky. Finish looks great, feels good in the hand and isn't slippery. The OLED screen is aligned in the window and gives all necessary information at a glance. It is easily washed out in bright sunlight, however. Why is a "stealth vaping" option not included? ...Not necessarily for stealth purposes but for battery conservation. I don't need the OLED lighting every time I push the fire button. And what's with the puff second counter? After the first 20 minutes of using the iStick, I stopped checking the display after each toot.

I have vaped everything from Kayfuns to Protank 2s to EVODs/EVOD Glass on this little gem. My devices range from 1.4-2Ω with twisted 30g/rayon on the Kayfuns to microcoil/rayon and vertical microcoil/rayon in the Kanger heads. It's been pretty brilliant with most everything but stock Kanger heads. The stock single-coil heads just get eaten alive. I usually rebuild stock Kanger heads when they're new. I simply don't like the vape from the factory. If you vape vertical coils, dual coils or RTAs, you will probably love this device. If you're vaping 1.5-2Ω single (horizontal) coils, you may not like the iStick. If you normally vape in the 6-8W range, you probably won't like the iStick. I can't seem to get below 10W on anything I currently have. If Eleaf gets the power issues under control, the iStick could be THE APV for everyone but most drippers or giants.

What can I say positive about the 510 connection? It's attractive? After the power issues, the 510 connection is the biggest flaw, IMHO. None of my attys sit flush on the device. All have a slight to noticeable wiggle/wobble. Not including an adjustable center pin (spring-loaded or otherwise) was a BIG mistake. I've not had any real contact issues yet. But we'll see.

Battery life, thus far, is exemplary. I have 15+ hours (about 6ml) on the current charge and am only down two bars. I have been unable to enjoy a nice, long chain vape thus far, however. This leads me to my third bigish gripe with the iStick: non-replaceable battery. Giving users the option of replacing the battery with ones of our choice would be a nice touch. We'll see how well the iStick batteries hold up.

My current wish list for the iStick v2 (subject to change):

First realize that I don't want to turn the iStick into an expensive Mini Vapor Shark. You won't find suggestions for 100W, rectified or "filtered" DC output, able to fire 0.2Ω coils nor anything that would add greatly to the end cost or greatly change the form-factor. I paid $31 for the iStick. I would certainly be willing to pay $40-50 for one with the additional improvements below. I'd also be all over a slightly larger, 50W/8Amp version with the additions below for <$75.

1) Increase height by 1/3", depth and width by 1/4" for improved ergonomics (especially for bigger hands) and to make room for:
2) Make this a 5Amp/6V/30W device (in the same vein as the VAMO electronics), firing Vrms @ 48Hz+ PWM.
3) Spring-loaded 510 center pin.
4) Replaceable 18650 battery.

Suggestions for a v1.5?

New firmware firing in Vrms & an adjustable center pin for $35. That's it. I could then recommend the iStick to practically anyone and probably purchase two for myself.

Just my $.02, folks. I hope you guys are enjoying your iSticks...

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
General iStick observations after 36 hours:

I knew it was small. But I wasn't prepared for how tiny it actually is. The iStick makes a great replacement for the short Egos as an awesome stealth vape. It is light but not overly so. I have largeish hands. I'm still experimenting and trying to get comfortable with it for longer use. Currently, I'm wishing it was 1/3 to 1/2" taller. If it were, all the buttons would be well located for me.

Fit and finish are above average. Buttons are tactile and somewhat clicky. Finish looks great, feels good in the hand and isn't slippery. The OLED screen is aligned in the window and gives all necessary information at a glance. It is easily washed out in bright sunlight, however. Why is a "stealth vaping" option not included? ...Not necessarily for stealth purposes but for battery conservation. I don't need the OLED lighting every time I push the fire button. And what's with the puff second counter? After the first 20 minutes of using the iStick, I stopped checking the display after each toot.

I have vaped everything from Kayfuns to Protank 2s to EVODs/EVOD Glass on this little gem. My devices range from 1.4-2Ω with twisted 30g/rayon on the Kayfuns to microcoil/rayon and vertical microcoil/rayon in the Kanger heads. It's been pretty brilliant with most everything but stock Kanger heads. The stock single-coil heads just get eaten alive. I usually rebuild stock Kanger heads when they're new. I simply don't like the vape from the factory. If you vape vertical coils, dual coils or RTAs, you will probably love this device. If you're vaping 1.5-2Ω single (horizontal) coils, you may not like the iStick. If you normally vape in the 6-8W range, you probably won't like the iStick. I can't seem to get below 10W on anything I currently have. If Eleaf gets the power issues under control, the iStick could be THE APV for everyone but most drippers or giants.

What can I say positive about the 510 connection? It's attractive? After the power issues, the 510 connection is the biggest flaw, IMHO. None of my attys sit flush on the device. All have a slight to noticeable wiggle/wobble. Not including an adjustable center pin (spring-loaded or otherwise) was a BIG mistake. I've not had any real contact issues yet. But we'll see.

Battery life, thus far, is exemplary. I have 15+ hours (about 6ml) on the current charge and am only down two bars. I have been unable to enjoy a nice, long chain vape thus far, however. This leads me to my third bigish gripe with the iStick: non-replaceable battery. Giving users the option of replacing the battery with ones of our choice would be a nice touch. We'll see how well the iStick batteries hold up.

My current wish list for the iStick v2 (subject to change):

First realize that I don't want to turn the iStick into an expensive Mini Vapor Shark. You won't find suggestions for 100W, rectified or "filtered" DC output, able to fire 0.2Ω coils nor anything that would add greatly to the end cost or greatly change the form-factor. I paid $31 for the iStick. I would certainly be willing to pay $40-50 for one with the additional improvements below. I'd also be all over a slightly larger, 50W/8Amp version with the additions below for <$75.

1) Increase height by 1/3", depth and width by 1/4" for improved ergonomics (especially for bigger hands) and to make room for:
2) Make this a 5Amp/6V/30W device (in the same vein as the VAMO electronics), firing Vrms @ 48Hz+ PWM.
3) Spring-loaded 510 center pin.
4) Replaceable 18650 battery.

Suggestions for a v1.5?

New firmware firing in Vrms & an adjustable center pin for $35. That's it. I could then recommend the iStick to practically anyone and probably purchase two for myself.

Just my $.02, folks. I hope you guys are enjoying your iSticks...

Honestly, it's not a flaw within the iStick due to slightly older 510 connections that lack an adjustable center pin.

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
Honestly, it's not a flaw within the iStick due to slightly older 510 connections that lack an adjustable center pin.

Adjustable center pins have been around a long time. My VTR has a spring-loaded center pin and it's been out a while now. The decision not to include an adjustable center pin had to be made by an Eleaf bean-counter to save half-a-buck or less. A screw-adjustable center pin would have required no additional space.

My iStick arrived last night and I already am hooked and a love this little mod. It's replaced my Hana and mini Hana in my pocket and the Hanas are in my vapebag, which I never expected to happen. I typically vape at 12 watts with 1 ohm, so anything more than 20-30, for me, is a waste. I love this little mod so much I ordered a second, a backup, last night and hope it arrives by Saturday since there's no mail on Monday!

JColt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just got mine about an hour ago already charged. This thing is awesome and will be a great work/yard device. Once they drop in price I will pick up a couple more but the one I have was well worth $36.

Just got mine about an hour ago already charged. This thing is awesome and will be a great work/yard device. Once they drop in price I will pick up a couple more but the one I have was well worth $36.
I got mine last night and totally agree jColt, I cant believe how tiny this thing is and how well it performs. All my kayfuns with 1.5 ohm coils vaping like a champ on this and battery life so far is really really good. My Vamo v5 and my mech mods I think will be retired or given away soon and pick up another one of these. They are working on a V2 already and have asked for user's feedback for the next version on reddit.

-=Rob=-

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm a little late to this party, as I just got my first iStick today. I was aware of all the hoopla about the voltage issues, etc. but that's not a problem for me. I'll just turn the dang thing down to adjust to my sweet spot and vape the crap out of it. I'll rebuild my heads to a resistance that works for me if need be. Several features on this thing attracted me to it and they're what I expected. I'm finding it to be an awesome device and it will be the first of several I will get. I'm loving this thing. For those still on the fence about getting one of these due to all the voltage hoopla, etc., go for it. This thing is a beast I can put in my pocket and barely know its there. I'm very impressed with it and I have a lot of toys to compare it to. They're going to sell lots of these things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dunno... still no problems what-so-ever with burning/hot vapes.. Wife likes 8w and that is what she gets full to empty.

I think some are just trying to make more outta the PWM than it really is..

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I received mine on Thursday, love it! Ordered a 2nd one yesterday. Do get the adapter with it, much better fit. Wish they sold those separately.....I will probably order more of these little ones when they come out with the v2's.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dunno... still no problems what-so-ever with burning/hot vapes.. Wife likes 8w and that is what she gets full to empty.

I think some are just trying to make more outta the PWM than it really is..

8 watts is my sweet spot too. but it seems like lots more vapor and flavor than 9.5 watts on my MVP's.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
8 watts is my sweet spot too. but it seems like lots more vapor and flavor than 9.5 watts on my MVP's.
I notice that the VAMO hits 'harder' than the MVP too.. And that I believe is just the rate it PWM.. I do believe its at 40MHz as oppose to the VAMOs 33MHz and the MVPs 500? 600? MHz. The faster it goes, the smoother the vape. Shoot, using stacked batts, the VAMO hits much harder than this iStick.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I notice that the VAMO hits 'harder' than the MVP too.. And that I believe is just the rate it PWM.. I do believe its at 40MHz as oppose to the VAMOs 33MHz and the MVPs 500? 600? MHz. The faster it goes, the smoother the vape. Shoot, using stacked batts, the VAMO hits much harder than this iStick.

don't think i need anything that hits any harder than this. for me, the iStick has plenty of power to spare. i tried it at the voltage/wattage that some guys on here use, and it pounded my little butt.Faint.gif

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
don't think i need anything that hits any harder than this. for me, the iStick has plenty of power to spare. i tried it at the voltage/wattage that some guys on here use, and it pounded my little butt.View attachment 7060
My thoughts too, I expected this to be blahh blahh like my experience with my MVP, boy was I surprised, I didn't think anyone would beleive this little guy could vape like it does!!

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
don't think i need anything that hits any harder than this. for me, the iStick has plenty of power to spare. i tried it at the voltage/wattage that some guys on here use, and it pounded my little butt.View attachment 7060
Sorry.. My reply didnt come out right.. :oops:

I was still comparing this little thing to the VAMO and MVP and think its holding its own pretty darn well as it hits a little harder than the MVP, but its not as bad as the VAMO.. Just about perfect.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry.. My reply didnt come out right.. :oops:

I was still comparing this little thing to the VAMO and MVP and think its holding its own pretty darn well as it hits a little harder than the MVP, but its not as bad as the VAMO.. Just about perfect.

sorry i misunderstood. it's all good tho....i am vapid. 58417df439a1b8d2b5188cce05d2b1.gif

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got an email that SmartVapes has them on pre-sale for $29.99 & you can get the 510/eGo adapter & USB as an add-on (I think $2.55)

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, I'm trying to decide whether I need another one - I'm really thinking I want a ZNA clone - decisions, decisions!!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I'm trying to decide whether I need another one - I'm really thinking I want a ZNA clone - decisions, decisions!!
I got the Robbot ZNA clone from focal. I'm quite happy with it, stainless steel...It kills the 18490 batteries when I drip, so I bought the 18650 tube.

richardrpsgt

Member For 4 Years
Saw something about an sx mini that sounds interesting, but I'm a happy vaper as is.

richardrpsgt

Member For 4 Years
I finally Killed the battery in 1 day. That's what I get for dropping down to 6 nic.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ordered a second one last night. I have the blue, but I really need the magenta! I just love this bitty thing, feels good in my hand and it is so light. Ordered both from vapenw on the bay.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ordered a second one last night. I have the blue, but I really need the magenta! I just love this bitty thing, feels good in my hand and it is so light. Ordered both from vapenw on the bay.
That's how I got mine. Might have to get another for the bro in law whose MVP recently broke.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
At last... my iSticks arrived! So on the 'scope it goes.......

Built an RDA with a 1.52ohm coil. iStick read it as 1.5ohm. Coil seems to have gone down to 1.4 ohm by the end, which is annoying! Any inaccuracies with resistance measurements will show up in the wattage calculations, but they should be minor, and anyway the voltage - average vs RMS - is the main issue here.

3.0V setting, 6.9W displayed, 4.065V RMS, 10.9W actual:
istick_3.0V.png

3.5V setting, 9.4W displayed, 4.399V RMS, 12.7W actual:
istick_3.5V.png

4.0V setting, 12.3W displayed, 4.712V RMS, 14.6W actual:
istick_4.0V.png

4.5V setting, 15.5W displayed, 5.007V RMS, 16.5W actual:
istick_4.5V.png

5.0V setting, 17.8W displayed, 5.282V RMS, 19.9W actual:
istick_5.0V.png

So yes, it's clearly NOT using RMS voltage calculations, and WILL run 'hot'.

Last edited:

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mine will be here tomorrow I had it sent to the office and we were closed Saturday then a holiday today ugh can't wait

richardrpsgt

Member For 4 Years
I'm wondering if the peak voltage will drop as the battery charge drops and if the duty cycle will lengthen to compensate.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for taking the time to document this. Think I'll go build some 2.5 coils.......

No problem - I wanted to :) Happy to do more tests if anyone thinks of any worth doing. For now, I'll just work on running the battery down so I can check its output then (but I expect no difference).

2.5 ohm will let you go down to 6.6W (on the lowest 3.0V setting, at 4.065V RMS, 4.065² / 2.5 = 6.6).

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just watched P Busardo's long awaited review:

Very fair and in depth. He verifies that it is indeed over powering on low ohm builds. Enjoy

Ha, hadn't noticed that was up, thanks!

Some debate on whether he ws right to give it thumbs down, but I agree with that because of one main thing - using PWM and mean average voltage means it doesn't cover the market it was aiming for; it's not the MVP killer it should've been.

I disagree with his 'just turn it down' comment because it can only be turned down to 4.07V, and that won't suit low-wattage vapers or even medium-wattage vapers who use low-ish ohm coils.

Of course, I agree with what he said first - "if it's working for you, it's perfect".

As for me, I'll find a use for it, but I struggled to find something to put on it! My mini protanks would've burnt up, my Magmas are built at 0.8 ohm so it wouldn't fire them, my Animas are 1.6 ohm but hybrid-ed onto mechs... so I put my protank 2 with aero base on it, and it feels like it would burn up if I set it any higher than 3.0V (really 4.07V). Hmm.

So, for v2 or whatever, it needs RMS control. No question. Spring loaded 510 connector would be nice. Ability to fire down to, say, 0.5 ohm would be nice. That's all, forget going higher than 20W. Only the sprung 510 costs any money, FCOL! Then it would be 'perfect' for a very large number of vapers.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So it really seems to be a consensus of all the stuff said about it here. Yes it runs hot, especially at the lower settings. If you are accustomed to a little wattage and your atty and or juice handles it you can probably dial in something that works for you. If your juice and or atty can't handle the power, even turned down, then not so much. Form factor and battery life are great.
If they can reprogram for RMS and use a spring loaded 510 then it looks like V2 would be an even bigger hit.

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
Ha, hadn't noticed that was up, thanks!

Some debate on whether he ws right to give it thumbs down, but I agree with that because of one main thing - using PWM and mean average voltage means it doesn't cover the market it was aiming for; it's not the MVP killer it should've been.

I disagree with his 'just turn it down' comment because it can only be turned down to 4.07V, and that won't suit low-wattage vapers or even medium-wattage vapers who use low-ish ohm coils.

Of course, I agree with what he said first - "if it's working for you, it's perfect".

As for me, I'll find a use for it, but I struggled to find something to put on it! My mini protanks would've burnt up, my Magmas are built at 0.8 ohm so it wouldn't fire them, my Animas are 1.6 ohm but hybrid-ed onto mechs... so I put my protank 2 with aero base on it, and it feels like it would burn up if I set it any higher than 3.0V (really 4.07V). Hmm.

So, for v2 or whatever, it needs RMS control. No question. Spring loaded 510 connector would be nice. Ability to fire down to, say, 0.5 ohm would be nice. That's all, forget going higher than 20W. Only the sprung 510 costs any money, FCOL! Then it would be 'perfect' for a very large number of vapers.

Completely agree with Hermit. It may not work for all. But it works for ME. I'll buy a second when v2 is released.

Re-tune the iStick to Vrms, add a spring-loaded 510 connection for < $40 and Eleaf has a winner that Innokin will have to work overtime to catch. Not only would it be an "MVP killer". But half the vaping community would own one. I'd personally like to see a user-replaceable battery. But it's certainly not a deal-breaker. Realize that retuning to Vrms would only extend battery life even more!

I will add that sub-ohming on this device is pointless. Remember it has a 4amp limit. .5Ω @ 4A = 8W (@ an out of range 2V). .9Ω @ 4A = 14.4W. Raising the amp limit to more than 5 would adversely effect the size and cost. The iStick is a mod perfect for RTAs, clearos, carts, etc. Some may enjoy a nice 1.2-1.5Ω single coil RDA or 510 bridgeless atty. But no serious dripping will be done on the iStick.

Last edited:

Arro

Member For 5 Years
Had mine for a lil while now.
I use it with a kayfun at 1.3 ohm and a aero mega at 1.8 ohm.
It fires high as pbusardo says but i just vape it a litle lower and it suits me fine.
For the price its a bargain for you feinsmeckers out there it may not be your cup of tea but for everyone else at this price you can't really loose.

VU Sponsors