Become a Patron!

F U STRAWBERRY - Y U FADE ON ME

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Com rads I need some help here.

I've been DIYing for about 3 or 4 years but seem to struggle on Strawberry fading on me. For most of my juices, I use a strawberry ratio below:

2:1:1 - 2(CAP Sweet Strawberry) : 1(FA Strawberry) : 1(TFA Strawberry Ripe)

I usually let my stuff steep a few weeks since I love me cream and bakery flavors, but the Strawberry gets lost easily after it has sat for some time. I have a feeling it's the Strawberry Ripe and the FA Strawberry that are the culprits.

I'm thinking of steeping everything else but Strawberry and adding it in the last week or so. Anyone else try that?

Also I might need to experiment with INW Shisha Strawberry and FA Juicy Strawberry that I just purchased to see if holds up better with time.

If anyone has any tips it would be most appreciated. I don't heat or speed "rest" anything nor do I breathe my mixes FWIW.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have problems with even tasting artificial strawberry flavorings.

I have found one that works for me. It is not as concentrated as the artificial ones but is a good realistic strawberry flavor and gets better with steep time.
Needs around 2 weeks. For a nice stand alone strawberry around 15%.
www.flavorconcentrates.com.
their Blueberry and Peach are also very authentic and nice.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I have problems with even tasting artificial strawberry flavorings.

I have found one that works for me. It is not as concentrated as the artificial ones but is a good realistic strawberry flavor and gets better with steep time.
Needs around 2 weeks. For a nice stand alone strawberry around 15%.
www.flavorconcentrates.com.
their Blueberry and Peach are also very authentic and nice.
Thanks man! I'll order some and give it a go. Is it PG/VG or Alcohol based?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks man! I'll order some and give it a go. Is it PG/VG or Alcohol based?
PG as I recall and maybe a bit of alcohol but I do not taste it and I have the bitter gene and taste Alcohol.
I used it when I first started DIY and then listened to the experts of DIY and got sidetracked.
But moving back to them.
Their Bananna is the most authentic as well and NO chemical taste which most melons and banannas have for me.

Their flavors are best with a good steep.
The bannana starts out a bit raspy but mellows nice with steep.
The authentic banana raspy like a not quite ripe enough banana.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hmmm yeah Banana always takes a month to be decent for me, and I usually blend like 4 to get a desired result. Appreciate it, will have to order some today.

Are all their flavors consistent as far as %?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm yeah Banana always takes a month to be decent for me, and I usually blend like 4 to get a desired result. Appreciate it, will have to order some today.

Are all their flavors consistent as far as %?
Their fruit ones seem to be.
Their vanilla and such are STRONG though. But good.
Seems like their coconut and pineapple are pretty strong as I recall.

I had only tried their Strawberry, Blueberry, Peach, Bannana, coconut and vanilla as I recall.
Ohh and their watermelon is VERY authentic but a bit weak. Just tastes like watermelon no chemicals.

As I said I go sidetracked by all the flavoring the mass mixers use and am just now moving back to this brand.
I suspect it may be a secret flavoring source used by some premium juice companys.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I have issues tasting strawberry as well, but my husband doesn't so that helps, when I'm looking at fruits that can/should or would fade. Here's what I discovered, if you add a tiny small amount of Fuji apple (fa) or cactus (inw) and I mean really small o.o5 or o.10 this not only boosts the strawberry but also prevents the fading. Other "enhancer/booster" would be raspberry at a 4:1 ratio to the strawberry. Or you could layer like you did, however I find layering tfa strawberry & ripe gives better results than cap or fa when it comes to fading. However I use purilum sweet strawberry with a small amount of tfa strawberry ripe, Fuji apple and tfa dragon fruit. (Only one i can taste lol) All compliment the strawberry and it won't fade in light and mild recipes or creams. Heavy creams is a total different discussion, there I will only use tfa strawberry + ripe. I don't taste these tho, gotta go by my husband and friends opinion on that one lol.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
"However I use purilum sweet strawberry with a small amount of tfa strawberry ripe, Fuji apple and tfa dragon fruit."

What are the ratios here would you say? 4:1:1:1? Or even smaller? I wanna give this a go and see if this helps.

My thing is mainly in heavy creams it gets lost pretty quickly after a bit of time. I'll try some of your suggestions, thanks!

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I personally use

4% pur sweet strawberry
1% tfa strawberry ripe
0.15 % Fuji apple
0.10% tfa dragon fruit

But pur strawberry is a more natural fruit, there's no hints of that candy or syrup, just a fresh bowl of cut strawberry in the summer, after a week steep it gets more sweet, but no syrup like. That you get from the ripe. My percentages are that low, because I don't want the taste of the apple and dragon fruit, just the enhancing capabilities. If you like it more pronounce up the percentages. Heavy creams so, pur does have its issues with, mostly gets lost after a 4 week steep or gives you that muddled taste at around 2 weeks. If you pair it with cap custard for example, good luck you'll end up with dragon fruit custard lol still good but not what someone is going for. So be cautious on how heavy your receipe really is. Pur strawberry can be used up to 6.5% but at 7% itit taste like liquid shit litterally, keep that in mind if upping the percentage.

Oh I mix mostly 80/20 or 75/25 if that helps, maybe the high VG swallows some of it as well who knows lol

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I personally use

4% pur sweet strawberry
1% tfa strawberry ripe
0.15 % Fuji apple
0.10% tfa dragon fruit

But pur strawberry is a more natural fruit, there's no hints of that candy or syrup, just a fresh bowl of cut strawberry in the summer, after a week steep it gets more sweet, but no syrup like. That you get from the ripe. My percentages are that low, because I don't want the taste of the apple and dragon fruit, just the enhancing capabilities. If you like it more pronounce up the percentages. Heavy creams so, pur does have its issues with, mostly gets lost after a 4 week steep or gives you that muddled taste at around 2 weeks. If you pair it with cap custard for example, good luck you'll end up with dragon fruit custard lol still good but not what someone is going for. So be cautious on how heavy your receipe really is. Pur strawberry can be used up to 6.5% but at 7% itit taste like liquid shit litterally, keep that in mind if upping the percentage.

Oh I mix mostly 80/20 or 75/25 if that helps, maybe the high VG swallows some of it as well who knows lol
Damn I like all my creams heavy, but usually diketone free so maybe heavy to me isn't really heavy to someone else.

I'm going to experiment and add the strawberry in the last week and see what happens. Doesn't hurt I guess! Just means I have 3 weeks to finish it lol before it's flatter than a clarinet.

I'll also try those little enhancers and give it a go. And if it turns out rank I'll call it Dragon Ball Deez Nuts. Got eem!

Better quit now while I'm ahead.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Capella Sweet Strawberry and TFA Ripe both have ethyl maltol in them and thus will fade. Have you tried using one or the other in combination w/ the other strawberries there? Or.. if you have it... FA Juicy Strawberry (to me) tastes like Capella Sweet Strawberry and TFA ripe mixed together. Add the FA strawberry to that as well if you'd like.
Ethyl maltol and alcohol based flavors will cause flavor fade. (as a general rule)

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Capella Sweet Strawberry and TFA Ripe both have ethyl maltol in them and thus will fade. Have you tried using one or the other in combination w/ the other strawberries there? Or.. if you have it... FA Juicy Strawberry (to me) tastes like Capella Sweet Strawberry and TFA ripe mixed together. Add the FA strawberry to that as well if you'd like.
Ethyl maltol and alcohol based flavors will cause flavor fade. (as a general rule)
Yes I have tried endless combos of the FA with all the others sadly. One day I'll nail it down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors