Become a Patron!

First RTA/RDTA -- Cooler vapes / Lower wattage??

s droid

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm somewhere between newbie and intermediate... I'm looking to buy my first rta/rdta... and I need some advice. I've only built on the tiny clr head that I got with my joytech vtc-mini... using 0.7 ohm wire (not sure if it is ss or ka)...
Anyway, I'm buying a new mod and tank and I want to explore building (and using pre-builts), but I prefer lower wattage/cooler vapes (for now anyway)...
I was looking at 22mm options like the Crius and th Gemini/Griffin, and also 25mm options like OBS Engine or TF-RTA or TF-RDTA.
For reasons that have little to do with this question, if I go 22mm, I'll want the taller form factor because I would likely use it with a side-by-side like the Eleaf iKonn total, or a Smoant Kight V2, and if I go 25mm I'd like shorter and squatter because I would use it with a SMOK AL85...
Anyway, the main question is, can a TF-RTA or TF-RDTA be used at lower wattages or is it only for balls-to-the-wall vaping?
In a nutshell, I'd like something that I can do lower wattage vapes on to start, but be able to grow into from there... As a backup if I can't figure it out, I'm thinking about the Spirals Plus with the included RBA... Larger juice capacity is a big plus.
HAHA, I asked about 4 different questions... Hopefully some kind soul will throw some advice my way...

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The wattage you need, and the heat of the vapor, is determined entirely by the coil you build. Unless you use Temp Control of some kind, but that's a whole other ball of wax. You can only decrease the wattage to cool the vape to a limited extent, as a certain amount of power will be needed to properly vaporize the juice. Too little power and heat, and you will get spitting and flooding.

You just need to research, practice, and experience. 10 different people will recommend 10 different ways to start lol. Personally, I recommend starting with 26g 316L stainless steel round wire simple single wire coils, and as the fuse wire in single and dual core claptons. 34g is a good clapton wrapping wire for starters. It's what I started with, and I found it easy to manage. I find 36g rather easy to work with, also. I find 38g to be a strain on my eyesight, but that's just me. The general consensus among builders is the higher gauge wrap, the better. I feel like when one gets to the point of successfully making fused claptons, they have studied enough to know where they want to go from there.

Hope you find some of that useful. Enjoy your journey!

If you want to buy or learn to make exotic builds like aliens or fused clapotns etc, I would suggest a single coil tank. I like the Serpent SMM. I run an alien that ohms out to .31 and vape at 50 to 60 watts and get a nice dense cool vape with loads of flavor. It is also very easy to build on and the wicking is the most forgiving I have used. Its great for a new builder.

Last edited:

s droid

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys -- thanks for the info... the conversation seems to have developed more on this thread which I also started on essentially the same subject:

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/lower-wattage-cooler-vapes-with-rta-rdta.339877/

But I just wanted to respond that I read both of your posts and appreciate the responses.

Manifesto, I bought the Serpent SMM yesterday with an AL85 and will start to build single coils and learn about metal types and styles of coils there.

Gakudzu, that looks very interesting and I think I will end up using 316L because I think I'd like to vape with TC, but the Serpent SMM comes with some included coils which I believe are KA-1. Those will last me until December when I come to the States.

Someone recommended this site for me for 316L pre-built coils:
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com

I expect to order some of their coils to get an idea of where my preferences lie.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Higher wattage doesn't always mean a hotter vape. If you're used to 25w on a smaller coil then go with a dual coil or larger coil than you've been using combined with more airflow you may crank it up to 50w and still end up with a cooler overall vape. Larger coils, more complex coils take more power to heat them up. If using the same airflow as you're used to on another atomizer then sure it would probably be hotter. Using it in a different atomizer with more wide open airflow the coils will have to heat up a bit more to overcome the extra airflow cooling them. You might find you have to go to 65-75w depending on the coil and airflow just to start getting some decent vapor and flavor, much less a hot vape.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would get a pharoah rta. Easy to build and wick tastes great.

As always, late to the party.

VU Sponsors