Become a Patron!

Garden time is coming

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

Did you know that with a little time and salt you can actually significantly increase some of the nutrients and probiotics that are naturally occurring in your garden’s bounty?

Growing your own vegetables is the foundation to receive the nutrition that you need; however, fermentation is potentially your best tool to preserve and optimize the health benefits of your healthy homegrown harvest!

Fermentation is a patient practice, and it can be one of the most deeply rewarding methods of food preparation, mentally, emotionally, and nutritionally.

Button: Read more about the benefits of fermentation here

To the exploration and enjoyment of your bounty!

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Jimi,

Did you know that with a little time and salt you can actually significantly increase some of the nutrients and probiotics that are naturally occurring in your garden’s bounty?

Growing your own vegetables is the foundation to receive the nutrition that you need; however, fermentation is potentially your best tool to preserve and optimize the health benefits of your healthy homegrown harvest!

Fermentation is a patient practice, and it can be one of the most deeply rewarding methods of food preparation, mentally, emotionally, and nutritionally.

Button: Read more about the benefits of fermentation here

To the exploration and enjoyment of your bounty!

I picked a bunch of peppers yesterday that I'll get to fermenting today. My first fermentation was a success using store bought fresh Hatch and sorranno peppers.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Spirit Gardening Banner

Jimi, we can all agree that gardening is the best way to get the freshest and healthiest food, right?

But what if we told you that gardening does a lot to keep your MIND healthy, too?
Image of a sketched head with vegetables as a brain

Studies have shown that gardening provides equally incredible health benefits for both your body and your brain. The benefits from your brain include:

🧠 Reduced stress and anxiety by making you feel more peaceful and content
🧠 Boosted self-esteem when you see your hard work pay off with a bountiful harvest
🧠 Improved concentration by focusing on a task without distractions
🧠 Motivated social bonding by gardening with others and sharing your harvests

…and that’s just from “traditional” gardening practices.

When you apply the practices of Spirit Gardening, it takes these health benefits and amplifies them. That’s why Stage 4 of Spirit Gardening is about EVOLUTION—and focusing less on action and more on feeling!

Today, you’ll take what you’ve learned from the previous three stages of Spirit Gardening and decide how to grow and Evolve from it.

🧚 Learn about the Evolution of your garden in the Stage 4 Spirit Gardening video below 🧚
Image: 3D Laptop

Here’s the progression of the Spirit Gardening stages that you have learned about so far…
🧚‍♂️ Stage 1: You had WONDER and curiosity and asked questions.
🧚‍♂️ Stage 2: You found EASE, listening and noticing things about your garden.
🧚‍♂️ Stage 3: You took PLAYful action in your garden.

With Stage 4, your garden has responded to what you have done, and it’s time for you to respond to your garden. The first three stages taught you about your garden and allowed you to experience an Evolution as to how you think and feel about your garden.

🥒 Your garden’s response may or may not be what you expected. Maybe you wanted bigger cucumbers and a more abundant harvest. Instead, you got similar-sized cucumbers as last year and less of them.

No matter what your outcomes are, remember that you get to choose the “story” attached to what happens next!

Many people react to not getting the results that they wanted with guilt, anger, or shame. They feel as if they have failed.
Person Hiding in a box with sign Box of Shame

Spirit Gardening introduces a different and very special idea to you.

What happens in your garden is not your fault, but how you choose to respond to what happened is your responsibility.

Your garden is an amazing place to connect with and work through these darker emotions. It’s okay and totally normal to feel that guilt, anger, and shame; but with Spirit Gardening, you’re able to release these emotions and realize that these feelings are just teachers to help you get closer to your goals next season.

🧠 In this stage, as you grow and Evolve, you’ll realize that your garden does so much more than nourish and rejuvenate your body. It nourishes and rejuvenates your mind as well!

Stacey will be answering all your questions about Spirit Gardening and how it can help improve your garden, your mindset, and your overall well-being during a live Q&A on Wednesday, September 20th at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern. Submit your questions about Wonder, Ease, Play or Evolution HERE.

We should always continue to Evolve!

🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

P.S.
👀 Watch for tomorrow’s email on Stage 5 of Spirit GardeningAWE! In the meantime, if you missed watching any of the previous stages, you can access them here.

Email footer image

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Harvest pics:
Freshly picked jalapeno and Fresno peppers

20230917_150515.jpg

After washing and minus 4 I used to make some salsa verde

20230917_172743.jpg

2 yards of topsoil mixed with 2 yards of compost. We got some work to do. The high temps are finally in the 80s and not the 90s or 100s.

20230919_150439.jpg

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have green peppers and jalapeno peppers too, many of those, lol! The only things that have done great in my garden this year. I still have a few more eggplants ,tomatoes,peppers, and summer squash, hoping to ripen before the frost.
My garden did not do well this year- last year was spectacular- I was giving away veggies to my dad,son,and neighbors. This year I barely have enough for me. Wonder if the small crop of was due to our polluted air from the Canadian wildfires?Plus it was a cooler wetter summer here too?

20230920_053239.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My garden did not do well this year- last year was spectacular- I was giving away veggies to my dad,son,and neighbors. This year I barely have enough for me. Wonder if the small crop of was due to our polluted air from the Canadian wildfires?Plus it was a cooler wetter summer here too?
That just may be, I never thought of that, you were where it was thick.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Soil Recipe:
Korean Natural Farming Amendments

by Guest blogger: Ben Klempner
of Galil Soil

Listen to his podcast HERE

BinyaminMakingFishFertilizer-225x300.jpg

Binyamin Making Fish Fertilizer
Making Korean Natural Farming (KNF) inputs is easy and something you can do at home. Here are few “recipes” to get your hands wet.

Fermented Plant Juice (FPJ)

Ingredients:

Equal parts:
  • Brown Sugar
  • chopped up plant material (use a plant native to your area that has lots of water content and grows with grit and tenacity, like dandelions or thistle).

Directions:

• Mix ingredients together well so that the plant surface is well covered with sugar.
  • Put a layer of brown sugar on top and press down hard, in this way creating an anaerobic sugar “seal.”
  • Cover with a paper towel held secure with a string or rubber band.
  • Wait 3-7 days.
  • Separate the liquid through a strainer and store for up to 12 months.

Fish Amino Acid (FAA)

Ingredients:

Equal parts:
  • Brown Sugar
  • Chopped up fish refuse (get fish waste, like heads, tails, skin, and guts, from your local supermarket or fish market).

Directions:

• Mix ingredients together well so that the fish surface is well covered with sugar.
  • Put a layer of brown sugar on top and press down hard, in this way creating an anaerobic sugar “seal.”
  • Cover with an airtight lid.
  • Wait 3-6 months.
  • Separate the liquid through a strainer and store. FAA will get more powerful with every passing year.

Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB)

Ingredients:

• 4 cups uncooked rice
  • 4 cups water.

Directions:

• Mix uncooked rice with water.
  • Stir for 3 minutes (or until the water become “hazy”).
  • Separate rice from water.
  • Cover rice water with a paper towel held secure with a string or rubber band.
  • Wait 3 days.
  • Add rice water to 4 litters (1 gallon) milk.
  • Wait 3-7 days.
  • Separate curds from whey.
  • The whey is now Lactic Acid Bacteria.
  • Store for up to 1 year in the refrigerator as is or mix well with equal parts brown sugar and store on the shelf for up to 1 year.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How Does Garlic Grow?​

How does garlic grow? Here is a concise primer on growing garlic that covers varieties, how and when to plant, pest prevention, and harvesting and storage.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Where to Buy Garlic for Planting & How Much to Plant​

Part 1 discusses options for where to buy garlic for planting and information regarding calculating the amount of seed required.​

Planting Garlic In Fall Gardens​

If you are wondering how to grow a garlic plant, you are in the right place. Planting garlic in fall gardens is an excellent way to cultivate your own delicious varieties.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

White Rot Garlic Disease​

White rot garlic disease also known as Sclerotica cepivorum is an invasive fungus that every garlic or onion grower needs to be aware of!​

How to Preserve Garlic in Oil​

Wondering how to preserve peeled garlic? Or how to preserve garlic in oil? The following four ways to preserve garlic will ensure you have a year-round supply.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Spirit Gardening Banner

Hello, Fellow Spirit Gardener Jimi!

What would you think if we told you that you could have SO much abundance in your garden that you will need to actually remove plants to make room?

This may sound far-fetched, but it’s completely possible when you live in Stage 5 of Spirit GardeningAWE!

This one stage has the power to completely make all other stages feel like a warm up to true Spirit Gardening.

🧚 Learn about the Awe of your garden in the Stage 5 Spirit Gardening video below 🧚
Image: 3D Laptop

But first, let’s talk about how we get to Awe...

Not surprising, kids know how to do this a lot better than adults. The whole world is continual Awe for most kids.

Remember thinking that your dad was the strongest man in the world? Or that your mom made the best mac and cheese ever? That’s because you were living in Awe. Everything was new and exciting!
Image: Child looking in wonder

There’s a component of Awe that we don’t always think about. What is it?

One word…LOVE!

As a kid, you might have had a lot of people sending love your way by reading you bedtime stories or giving you a juice box when you needed a break during the day or playing hide-and-seek with you on a crisp fall afternoon.

These were all ways the people in your life showed you love when you were young and didn’t it feel amazing?!

Here’s a not-so-surprising surprise…love works for your garden, too!

Have you heard about the experiment with two plants where one plant receives “love” and the other plant is “bullied?” The result?

The plant that receives love thrives (on the right), and the one that is bullied struggles (on the left).

Plant Experiment

The same lesson works in your own garden. Science cannot explain exactly how it works—but it does!

When you focus your love on what thrives, it expands!

It wants to grow even more for you and produce even more delicious herbs and vegetables!

If for some reason, a plant doesn’t respond to your love, guess what? You can pull it from your garden. Yes, that’s right. You can take plants out of your garden at any time.

Why take plants out of your garden? Because the thriving plants of your garden will be more than happy to take up the space! This may seem totally crazy, but it works.

Eventually—and with enough love, you will get to harvest all the vegetables and herbs you want. All plants respond to love!

Person holding crate of vegetables

What does loving your plants have to do with Awe?

This is how you show your plants your love. Be in Awe of them and all that they offer! Awe is a magical stage to be in once you practice for a while.

We hope that you will join us at the live Q&A with Stacey Murphy tomorrow, September 20th at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern. To be sure to receive answers to all your questions, submit them ahead of time for Awe or any of the other four stages HERE.

Here’s to everyone’s Awe-some gardens!

P.S.
You’ll receive the link for the live Q&A in your email tomorrow so be on the lookout! If you missed any of the emails about the previous stages, you can watch them here.

Email footer image

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How to Mow Like an Herbalist!​

Hey Folks,
Ever seen a lawn mowed by a teenager more interested in herbs than a well-trimmed yard? Marty, my son, gave me quite the surprise when he mowed our lawn — or rather, carefully maneuvered around every 'useful' weed. The result? A garden of botanical treasures and a newfound appreciation for the medicine growing right under our feet.
Join me in this light-hearted tale of mowing mishaps and medicinal discoveries. P.S. I promise, you'll never look at your lawn the same way again!"

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok here's my todays pick
Green beans startin to come on fairly good ( we just had a big batch of green beans that I picked 4 days ago and garden taders)
P1480109.JPG

Still gettin some maters

P1480105.JPG

Picked some sweet red peppers, hadts eat one right when I picked it, there was 3 and some nice hot peppers

P1480103.JPG

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well the big ol pile of dirt got moved to a tarp in the backyard and soon will be in raised beds. Heavy clay soil where I live, but the biggest problem is nasty Bermuda grass everywhere which is why I'm doing raised beds.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If anyone is looking for drip irrigation stuff this sale starts Oct 1st. I'm happy with the stuff I've bought from them.

drip_depot_logo1.jpg

Shhhh....our largest sale of the year is coming!​
Page02c.png

Our largest sale of the year starts October 1st and runs through October 31st.

For the entire month all items will be 20% off storewide.

Orders over $49 will still ship FREE!

The sale is limited to in-stock items only.

If you have any questions please reach out to us at: [email protected]
prjVWi9agcvHo6wWwSY0NoWHiaFTUW1GFE88HIUk5LrHN5aeEIX3D6pJtDlEPNI6Dvf_Ou5XHLexQ1ajT_5sVXHMGfcLsqoinYvkNDmXc8HzvBff2Y637Q=s0-d-e1-ft
AV9kxYU-5ysQMCtRAHMglyJrfvqYiP11JuyXmOwnhPrI7Ry9zzrSHt-tCjK7krGBfjIG-59BMentBmdNWCAURmJYbsXGvLYzEDFM_1l24HiQYKK8N-deTQ=s0-d-e1-ft
prjVWi9agcvHo6wWwSY0NoWHiaFTUW1GFE88HIUk5LrHN5aeEIX3D6pJtDlEPNI6Dvf_Ou5XHLexQ1ajT_5sVXHMGfcLsqoinYvkNDmXc8HzvBff2Y637Q=s0-d-e1-ft
How to redeem…​
• No Promo Code Needed

• Click "Shop Now" on Oct. 1st to Shop & Save​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
We are excited to share our BRAND NEW Home Gardener Weekly newsletter format! It will continue to expand and evolve over the coming weeks. We’d love to hear your feedback!

🌿 This week’s newsletter is packed full of information about how to get the most from your gardens—especially your herb gardens! Expand your herb knowledge with a free eBook and a complimentary mini-course and tap into their natural healing abilities.

🪷 Speaking of healing abilities, your gardens can be a great remedy for the daily stress that life brings. The Grow Your Own Vegetables’ Spirit Gardening course is a great way to learn how to find and keep the joy of your garden for years to come. A special never before offered price is available but only for today! Be sure to read the entire newsletter to find out how to take advantage.

If there is a topic that you would like to see in future newsletters, please let us know by replying to this email. This newsletter is for YOU and your gardening success!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Jimi, has anyone ever asked you for herbal advice?

If you grow herbs, chances are someone in your life will notice all the amazing things you’re doing with the plants and will become curious.
Herbs Hanging to Dry
Maybe they’ve seen how you’ve improved your own health through the practice of herbalism, and they want to know about natural herbal solutions for their own health problems.

If it hasn’t happened to you yet, it will!

When someone does ask for your help, what do you say? Which questions do you ask so that you get the information you need to give the right advice? When you’re trying to help someone else, herbalism can become a lot more complicated.

Grow Your Own Vegetables’ friend Sajah Popham offers a video class and guidebook with the exact tools that direct you in how to help people effectively with herbs.

The skills that he shares in this complimentary Vitalist Herbalism Mini-Course are critical if you see yourself helping people through plant medicine.
🌿 Access the Holistic Intake Roadmap video and downloadable guidebook HERE 🌿

A lot of healing is needed in the world. As plant people, it’s time to step up to help bring the healing power of the plants to people and reconnect them to the medicine of Mother Earth.

Are you mint to share your love of herbs?

P.S.
- If this feels like your calling, but you’re stuck on how to start, be sure to watch Sajah’s videos this week. It’ll give you a whole new rush of inspiration and refill your herbal toolkit so that you’re ready to be of service to the people who need your help.

🌿 Access this inspiring information on herbalism HERE 🌿

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your Gift 💝 Essential Guide for the Home Fermenter

There's an epic fiesta happening inside an actively fermenting batch of sauerkraut right now! Picture this … billions of these tiny microorganisms are groovin' and jivin', having the time of their lives, all while transforming your humble cabbage into a zesty sensation that's not only delicious but packed with incredible health benefits.

Now, I don't want you to miss out on this party, which is why we're sending you an exclusive invitation to join in on the fermentation fun with the Essential Guide for the Home Fermenter.

button: download the Essential Guide for the Home Fermenter here
3D Image of Essential Guide for the Home Fermenter
Through generations of cohabitation, humans have teamed up with microbes with some pretty fantastic results. We can’t see the beneficial microbes responsible for fermentation, but we can experience the boozy bubbles and tangy tastes they have to offer. Our history and biology are deeply entwined with theirs!

Some of the most basic human pleasures--homemade bread, a nice glass of wine, and...sauerkraut? That’s probably a matter of taste, but fermentation is responsible for so many of the flavors and traditions that we humans hold dear.

Here's a little nugget of wisdom from both tradition and science: indulging in fermented foods is one of the smartest choices you can make for your well-being. And the icing on the cake? Learning the art of fermenting your own foods opens the door to these remarkable benefits right in the comfort of your home:

😋 Savor the taste of your harvest all YEAR ROUND-- Like opening a jar of summer!
🧐 Unlock MORE nutrients in your food, including vitamins K and B12
🧑‍🍳 Develop unique flavors to suit YOUR taste
💪 Get a boost from billions of lively, active cultures for your gut health

That’s why we invite you to learn the fermentation basics in this Essential Guide for the Home Fermenter.

Inside the eGuide, you will:

🌱 Meet the microbes: learn how fermentation works (no degree required!)

🌱 Learn how accessible fermentation can be and how to easily fit in into your lifestyle
🌱 Discover how fermentation helps you get the most nutrition out of your harvest
🌱 Find a list of the basic equipment you’ll need to get started fermenting
🌱 Learn food safety steps to make sure your ferment doesn’t get TOO funky

>>> Download the Essential Guide for the Home Fermenter here

We live more abundantly when we live in connection with nature--no matter how small! Discover the abundant world of beneficial microbes with us.

Who knows, you might just catch the infectious spirit of fermentation! 🥂🥬🔬

To your gut health and strong immunity,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Making Apple Cider​

Don't settle for the thin, pasteurized, store-bought stuff. Making apple cider is cheaper and infinitely more refreshing when ground and pressed at home.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Pawpaw Mead Recipe​

Start preserving pawpaws of your own to make this delicious and uniquely American drink. Enjoy this pawpaw mead recipe, made with local honey and apple cider.​

How to Make Hard Cider At Home​

Learn how to make hard cider at home using this guide. Includes a delicious sparkling hard cider recipe for those of us who enjoy bubbles!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Kefir and Kombucha: Brewing with Bacteria​

Kefir or kombucha -- what's the difference? Learn about both and how to brew kombucha and kefir using bacteria to create fermentation environments.​

Home Wine Making the Right Way​

Home wine making is easy to do if you have the right equipment and the patience to wait for perfection.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday we sent you the Essential Guide for the Home Fermenter eguide to introduce you to the world of fermentation. We hope it made you more excited about diving into the world of fermentation.

Did you know that what you eat can affect your mood and brain health? 🤯

Fermented foods like yogurt, kimchi, and kombucha are packed with probiotics – the friendly gut bugs. These little fellas chat with your gut's microbes, impacting your mood and stress levels.

Plus, your gut makes serotonin (the "feel-good" hormone), and a happy gut means more of it! So, add some fermented goodies to your diet for a happier belly and brain.

The gut has even been called your “second brain” because it’s got the highest concentration of nerves in your body outside of your brain. 🧠

So now that you know how important your gut is…

...would you like to know the easiest way to improve your gut health and immunity?

Eating fermented foods! 😋

Not like drinking beer or wine (if only!)... We’re talking about fresh fermented foods made from fruits, vegetables and herbs from your garden!

Fermented foods are delicious, nutritious, and full of healthy probiotics, bacteria, and enzymes. They aren’t just good for the gut, they can help improve our health in numerous ways...

😋 Fermentation breaks down the starches and sugars in your vegetable, improving digestion and allowing you to absorb more nutrients.
😋 Provides healthy bacteria to improve the proper balance of bacteria in your gut.
😋 Fermented foods are high in enzymes that your body needs to adequately digest, absorb, and utilize the nutrients in your food.
😋 Increases the levels of certain vitamins in vegetables and fruits like B-12, riboflavin, folic acid, and biotin.
😋 Makes raw vegetables safer to eat by creating lactic acid that kills harmful pathogens like e-coli.

That’s a lot of healthy benefits, but here’s the best part of all. Fermenting your own foods is actually pretty easy.

Plus, it has the added benefit of preservation.

In fact, it’s so easy we want to show YOU how you can make delicious, nutritious fermented foods right in your own kitchen. You’ll only need a few supplies and minimal effort in our newest course:

>>> You’re invited to the Funky Fermentation Micro Course

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Growing Grapes and Making Homemade Wine​

What you need to know about growing grapes and making homemade wine, including tips on picking grape varieties, how to plant grapes, tending grapevines, when to harvest grapes and a guide to making homemade wine.​

How to Build a Grape Trellis Backyard System​

When deciding how to build a grape trellis, backyard systems with high angles achieve sunlight, airflow, and easy pruning.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Growing Grapes, Raising Chickens in a Permaculture System​

Start your venture into ecological stability by raising chickens and growing grapes to build a successful permaculture system.​

Old-Fashioned Grape Juice Recipe​

Lois Diguglielmo shares her grandmother's old-fashioned grape juice recipe with concord grapes and tips to make grape juice the old-fashioned way.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok here's yesterday's pick
picked beans for hours and here's what I got, well plus a big bag full that I gave my neighbor lady
P1480141.JPG

Been snappin these and cookin them up all mornin

This is a picture of one of my Okra's that is bloomin, I think they are a beautiful blossom

P1480138.JPG

It wasn't quite open but still beautiful

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got some various lettuces, spinach, and French Breakfast radishes planted yesterday. I should have some fall home grown salads on my table in about a month!

The seeds I ordered are scheduled to arrive Friday so I should get them planted either Friday or Saturday. I have some bush beans, carrots, green onions, different radishes, snap peas, chives, and some cilantro coming in as well as three different garlics. The garlic will wait until winter to get planted as they need cold soil to start.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Ok here's yesterday's pick
picked beans for hours and here's what I got, well plus a big bag full that I gave my neighbor lady
View attachment 209041

Been snappin these and cookin them up all mornin

This is a picture of one of my Okra's that is bloomin, I think they are a beautiful blossom

View attachment 209042

It wasn't quite open but still beautiful
Another great haul for you! So nice to give some beans to the neighbor lady!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Soil Recipe:

Korean Natural Farming Amendments

by Guest blogger: Ben Klempner
of Galil Soil

Listen to his podcast HERE

BinyaminMakingFishFertilizer-225x300.jpg

Binyamin Making Fish Fertilizer
Making Korean Natural Farming (KNF) inputs is easy and something you can do at home. Here are few “recipes” to get your hands wet.

Fermented Plant Juice (FPJ)

Ingredients:

Equal parts:
  • Brown Sugar
  • chopped up plant material (use a plant native to your area that has lots of water content and grows with grit and tenacity, like dandelions or thistle).

Directions:

• Mix ingredients together well so that the plant surface is well covered with sugar.
  • Wait 3-7 days.
  • Separate the liquid through a strainer and store for up to 12 months.

Fish Amino Acid (FAA)

Ingredients:

Equal parts:
  • Brown Sugar
  • Chopped up fish refuse (get fish waste, like heads, tails, skin, and guts, from your local supermarket or fish market).

Directions:

• Mix ingredients together well so that the fish surface is well covered with sugar.
  • Cover with an airtight lid.
  • Wait 3-6 months.
  • Separate the liquid through a strainer and store. FAA will get more powerful with every passing year.

Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB)

Ingredients:

• 4 cups uncooked rice
  • 4 cups water.

Directions:

• Mix uncooked rice with water.
  • Stir for 3 minutes (or until the water become “hazy”).
  • Separate rice from water.
  • Cover rice water with a paper towel held secure with a string or rubber band.
  • Wait 3 days.
  • Add rice water to 4 litters (1 gallon) milk.
  • Wait 3-7 days.
  • Separate curds from whey.
  • The whey is now Lactic Acid Bacteria.
  • Store for up to 1 year in the refrigerator as is or mix well with equal parts brown sugar and store on the shelf for up to 1 year.
Sugar all over the garden? Roaches for sure, ewww.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's too hot where I live to grow 'em in the summer.

I haven't got grow lights yet. Yeah, I need to get some so I can start stuff next year like peppers and tomatoes.
The ones I use are LED and they work great, I have one 100 watt and one 50 watt and that lets me start all the plants that I grow. It's not really the price difference to me it's the wide selection of kinds of tomatoes, peppers, etc that I can get.;)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This is half of my bed. I'm using square foot gardening for this. The front four aren't planted yet, I'm saving those to plant more lettuce and spinach in two weeks. The second row of 4 have my lettuce and spinach. The third row just has one square of radishes right now. I have more coming Friday. the back row will be snap peas with a trellis.

The other half not pictured will have the bush beans, chives, carrots, green onions, and cilantro.

1695884609963.jpeg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is half of my bed. I'm using square foot gardening for this. The front four aren't planted yet, I'm saving those to plant more lettuce and spinach in two weeks. The second row of 4 have my lettuce and spinach. The third row just has one square of radishes right now. I have more coming Friday. the back row will be snap peas with a trellis.

The other half not pictured will have the bush beans, chives, carrots, green onions, and cilantro.

View attachment 209055
That really looks great my friend, can't wait to see it all growin

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
We're thrilled to share this week’s newsletter designed exclusively for green thumbs and nature enthusiasts like you! 🌿

In this issue, we dive into a diverse range of topics to nurture your gardening passion and enrich your connection with nature. From the wonders of plant-based nutrition to the art of mulching for a thriving garden, you'll find expert insights, practical tips, and even a mouthwatering recipe guide featuring garden-fresh ingredients. 🥗

But that's not all – we also explore the fascinating world of fermentation, providing you with the know-how to create your own delicious, probiotic-rich creations. Plus, don't miss our featured video on common garden pests and how to tackle them effectively. It's your one-stop resource for cultivating a vibrant, thriving garden and embracing a healthier lifestyle.

Thank you for joining us on this garden journey. Together, we'll nurture the beauty of your garden and the well-being of your body and mind. 🌻

Happy gardening!

If there is a topic that you would like to see in future newsletters, please let us know by replying to this email. This newsletter is for YOU and your gardening success!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Happy Saturday, Jimi!

Have you ever felt totally overwhelmed by how much there is to learn to become an effective herbalist?

From the countless plants to learn—all of their healing properties, preparations, dosage, and formulations—to understanding people holistically from pathology, anatomy, physiology, and constitutions, it’s not surprising that you may feel overwhelmed and even downright lost from time to time.

Mortar and Pestle
What you need is someone to help guide you on your plant path so that you know what to focus on to reach your next level of development as an herbalist.

Grow Your Own Vegetables’ friend Sajah Popham from the School of Evolutionary Herbalism is teaching a live webinar Monday (October 2nd) at 2pm Pacific Time / 5pm Eastern Time called “The Path to Becoming a Practicing Herbalist.”

Register for the Free Webinar HERE

In this one-time live webinar, you’ll learn:

🌿 The 5 stages of development all herbalists go through
🌿 The essential properties you need to know about every plant you study
🌿 How to approach understanding a person holistically
🌿 Why therapeutic skills are essential to learn to be an effective herbalist
🌿 What stage you’re currently at, and how to move to the next one

Whether you’re totally new to herbalism or have been working with plants for years, Sajah’s unique way of teaching will shed light on your path and help you know how to continue to grow as an herbalist.

WHAT: The Path to Becoming a Practicing Herbalist live webinar
WHEN: October 2nd at 2pm Pacific Time / 5pm Eastern Time
WHERE: Click HERE to register for the webinar

Be sure to be ready with all your questions as Sajah will be answering as many of them as he can in a Q&A session following the webinar.

It’s thyme to take the next step as a herbalist!

PS
—If you're interested in checking out Sajah's full herbalist program, you can find out more about it HERE.

PPS—It doesn’t look like there will be a replay of this webinar. Therefore, be sure to join Sajah live Monday at 2pm Pacific / 5pm Eastern by saving your spot HERE.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you're interested in using drip irrigation in your garden dripdepot.com is having a store wide 20% off sale starting today and running for the whole month of October!

drip_depot_logo1.jpg 1696165129922.png
1696165161936.png

20% Storewide Starts Today!​

Enjoy 20% off all items from October 1st - 31st.

No promo code is needed. Click Here to Shop.

Note: Sale is limited to in-stock items.​

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was supposed to have received my fall seeds Friday. I finally got them this afternoon. So tomorrow some more planting.

Also, today I turned in my application to go to school to be a Master Gardener. I had been to a couple of their community classes and it got me interested. I get to learn the theory behind growing stuff and not just vegetables. Composting, trees, flowers, pests, you name it. Classes are pretty much every Saturday morning from January to May. They are wanting to get some projects going on the west side of the valley where I live so I should be able to easily get my volunteer hours in.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was supposed to have received my fall seeds Friday. I finally got them this afternoon. So tomorrow some more planting.

Also, today I turned in my application to go to school to be a Master Gardener. I had been to a couple of their community classes and it got me interested. I get to learn the theory behind growing stuff and not just vegetables. Composting, trees, flowers, pests, you name it. Classes are pretty much every Saturday morning from January to May. They are wanting to get some projects going on the west side of the valley where I live so I should be able to easily get my volunteer hours in.
Wow that's great, I have always wanted to take classes like that

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Best Winter Squash to Grow at Home​

From acorns and delicatas to mixtas and moschatas, our best winter squash to grow at home include varieties that store up to six months.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

All About Growing Dry Beans and Peas​

Get the goods on growing dry beans (and peas) as easy-to-store legumes, which pack as much protein per serving as eggs and cottage cheese.​

How to Start a Gardening Business: Community Gardens, Consultations, and Installations​

Learn how to start a gardening business from Karena Poke of Lettuce Live, who talks best selling vegetables at farmers market, pricing, and more.​

VU Sponsors