Become a Patron!

Garden time is coming

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How to Transplant Plants Without Killing Them​

Wondering how to transplant plants without killing them? Learn all about transplanting seed plugs, how to prick out seedlings, and pricking out meaning.​

Coconut Coir vs. Peat Moss​

From soil amendment to building materials, when comparing coconut coir vs. peat moss, one goes above and beyond in its ability to create a sustainable world.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

267 Brad Russell

What unique challenges and rewards come with chestnut farming?
On this episode of the Thriving Farmer Podcast, Michael is joined by Brad Russell of Chestnuts in the Ozarks in Omaha, Arkansas. Brad’s lifelong respect for nature along with his dedication to sustainable agriculture has guided him and his wife, Sandy, to revive and sustain the long-forgotten legacy of chestnut farming in the United States.
Tune in to hear all about Chestnuts in the Ozarks and the world of chestnut farming!​

In this episode, you’ll hear:

• How Brad got started in chestnuts
  • What varieties of chestnuts does Brad’s farm work with
  • About the care methods for chestnut trees
  • How someone who wants to plant chestnut trees would need to plan
  • About which insects people should watch out for
  • About what bare roots trees typically cost
  • How you can learn more about Chestnuts in the Ozarks

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LearningHerbs

John & Tara

John & Tara’s Herbal Guide for The Whole Year​

Happy 2024! 🎊

Join John Gallagher and Tara Ruth for a captivating podcast episode designed to enrich your herbal journey this year. We forgo our usual guest interviews for an intimate, insightful conversation between two herbalists.

🍁 Ready to explore a year in the life of an herbalist?

Episode Highlights:

Winter Wellness:

Warm up with cinnamon, ginger, and oatstraw. Discover ginger's remarkable topical uses for stiffness and its digestive health benefits.

Spring Revival:
Welcome spring with dandelion, chickweed, and plantain. Learn how thes​

Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
Finding out that you or a loved one has cancer is devastating news.

The emotions it brings up can almost be more difficult to deal with than the disease itself. This has a huge impact not just on quality of life… but even on healing and recovery.

The Big Questions cancer brings up can turn your entire world upside down. Patients and their families are forced to re-evaluate EVERYTHING.

What if the cancer spreads? Am I going to be a burden to my family?

What if the cancer comes back? Am I still going to feel like myself after all of this?

What if this is the end?

These questions can cause you to lose sleep, snap at the people you love, or spiral into depression, consumed by endless anxiety about the future.

And yet…

…the way cancer is treated by the medical establishment is like your car broke down.

You get a sterile diagnosis and a sterile treatment. Often, you’re more of a number than a human.

The truth is a cancer journey is an emotional journey as well as a physical one.

Back when we filmed The Answer to Cancer, Dr. Zach Bush talked about treating the person, not the disease alone.

Left untreated, fear and guilt can MAINTAIN the chronic stress and inflammatory states that helped cancer form in the first place.

Working through the emotional experience is THE key to unlocking your body's innate healing potential.

You may be wondering…
  • “Okay I hear you Patrick… What do I DO about my anxiety?”
  • “How do I stop fear and guilt from worsening my health?”
  • “How can I learn to control the rollercoaster of emotions I’m experiencing everyday?”
  • “How can I just put this aside and enjoy the little things?”

If these questions resonate, I have an exciting opportunity to share with you.

I recently discovered a program called Precision Emotional Healing for Cancer, built by my friends at Liber8. I've known co-founder Mike Cline for years - one of the biggest hearted people I know.

Mike and his team created this program specifically to help cancer patients, survivors, and caregivers process the challenging emotions and traumas that arise throughout the cancer journey.

Discover Precision Emotional Healing

I was reading some of the case studies from the program and was BLOWN away by the results (more on Angie’s story tomorrow)

They are inviting only 60 patients to join this next cohort - and since I know the founders, you get first dibs on the limited spots before it opens up publicly.

So if you’re interested in joining, please visit this link to learn more.

With purpose
we just try jimi tats all we can do my friend

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Are you ready for another great edition of the Home Gardener’s Weekly? This week’s edition shares some great ways to save money at the grocery store!​
Thank you for joining us on this garden journey. Together, we'll nurture the beauty of your garden and the well-being of your body and mind. 🌻

Happy Gardening!

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

How to Transplant Plants Without Killing Them​

Wondering how to transplant plants without killing them? Learn all about transplanting seed plugs, how to prick out seedlings, and pricking out meaning.​

The top one....reminded me of my Aloe plant....poor thing, it's been with me for over 17 yrs. Been repotted, has almost died several times, but some how it has survived. The weirdest thing is, I moved it to the coldest part of the house, in to the shower in master bathroom and it's been the happiest it's ever been, even during the winter time. It has to be from all the humidity from the hot water and gets good sunlight when the sun is in the west sky. Though, when it was in the hall way it had good sunlight from the south, but not enough humidity/steam. Now I know it's secrets....humidity/steam and sunlight (duhhh):) :teehee:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Sowing a plastic world: microplastics from BioSolids (Marketed as Natural Fertilizer) Can Carry Dangerous Pollutants Into the Air​

Do you know what bioSolids are? I posted an article on that in the health section before I started my health thread, BioSolids is just a kind word for BioSludge :facepalm:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Jimi, have you considered a plant-based diet but just not sure how to begin?

We understand—there’s a lot of conflicting information out there, right?

This is why we contacted Grow Your Own Vegetables Friend Kim Murphy, who is a certified plant-based health coach, Amazon best-selling author, and founder of Simply Plant Based Kitchen, where she helps people transform their health through the power of whole plants.

This month, Kim is hosting the Plant Based Beginner’s Bootcamp, an INCREDIBLE 5-day challenge that we thought you would enjoy. It’s a great way to get started with a plant-based diet, and Kim’s offering it to the Grow Your Own Vegetables Community absolutely FREE!

Plant-Based Beginner's Bootcamp! FREE 5-Day Challenge
🌿 Click HERE to Join the 5-Day Challenge 🌿

During this challenge, which begins January 29th, you have access to daily masterclasses to learn the critical truths of how a plant-based diet helps you to improve your health and even lose weight. You also receive a complimentary Challenge Workbook and membership to a private Facebook group to speak with others considering a plant-based diet. There is also a daily live cooking demo so that you can see how easy and delicious this lifestyle can be.

This bootcamp offers so many great tips for saving time, saving money, and making a plant-based diet simple and doable for almost anyone. Kim's recipes are simple and made with ingredients you can find at almost any grocery store OR grow yourself and take LESS than 30 minutes!

Don’t worry if you can’t join live— replays are available each day.

However, live attendees have the chance to win great prizes and ask Kim their questions directly. So try to attend as many live classes as possible.

Click below to grab your complimentary ticket before January 29th. Space is limited, and you don’t want to miss this event if you have ever considered a plant-based diet.
Button: I Want My Free Ticket!
A plant a day keeps the doctor away!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi, there has never been a more important time than NOW to focus on what makes YOU happy. Activities like gardening help reduce your stress and improve your mental disposition. So, gardening not only provides you with fresh healthy foods to eat but benefits your mental health, too!

We have a special event coming up that expands on the mental benefits of gardening entitled the Joyful Gardener Docuseries.

This complimentary 8-Day Online Event occurring February 20th - 27th shows you how to grow the FRESHEST, most nutrient-rich foods right at home and experience the wonderful JOY of gardening at the same time.

💚 YES! Save me a spot for the Joyful Gardener Docuseries 💚

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

When to Plant Parsnips​

Wondering when to plant parsnips? Get ready for the parsnip growing season in the cold months to grow this delicious vegetable.​

Embracing the Mess of a Winter Garden​

Learn the basics of why organic gardeners prioritize soil health over garden aesthetics. Harness the "mess" in your winter garden to feed future plantings.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Winter Cover Crops For Vegetable Gardens​

Looking for the best winter cover crops for vegetable gardens? This comprehensive list of good cover crops for winter will build nutrient-rich soil your veggies will appreciate in spring.​

Sub-Tropical Winter Gardening Food Forest Plant List​

Looking for a food forest plant list for sub-tropical regions? Growing a sub-tropical or Southern California winter garden is simple with the right plant choices.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Hey Jim

We all know that growing our own fresh food is great for our health, but we often overlook the mental health benefits it brings.

Think about the happiness you feel when your cute pet eagerly greets you, or the joy you experience when your favorite season arrives. That same feeling of joy can be found when you spend time with the plants in your garden.

Watching your plants thrive and produce beautiful vegetables can bring a smile to your face and fill your heart with happiness!

If you're not currently experiencing this joy or facing challenges in your garden, then the new docuseries from Grow Your Own Vegetables titled The Joyful Gardener is certainly a must-watch for you!

Register now to watch this 8-part online series for F.REE.

The series streams from February 20th - 27th, and will show you how to grow the freshest, most nutrient-rich foods right in your own home while experiencing the pure joy of gardening.

Here’s a breakdown of the episodes to look forward to:

🥬 Episode 1: Making the Most of Your Local Climate

🥬 Episode 2: Healthy Plants Start with Healthy SOIL!

🥬 Episode 3: Making Compost & Compost Teas

🥬 Episode 4: Small Plot Growing & Packing In Plants

🥬 Episode 5: Fitting Gardening into Your Lifestyle

🥬 Episode 6: Simplifying Irrigation Systems

🥬 Episode 7: Harvesting & Pruning to Improve Yields

🥬 Episode 8: Pests, Diseases & Weeds: Show them who’s the boss!

Activities like gardening not only provide you with fresh, healthy food but also have the power to reduce stress and improve your mental well-being.

And now is the perfect time to focus on what brings you happiness… and you just might find it in your garden!

Can’t wait to discover how to grow vegetables that fit your lifestyle and your local conditions?

Get your F.REE ticket now to watch The Joyful Gardener from February 20th - 27th!

To your health and happiness,

The Cause Health team

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you know that even “organic” food you buy can be at risk for unwanted toxins? The only way to have full control of the quality and purity of at least SOME of your food is to grow your own.
If you are tired of poor tasting and questionable quality produce, it might be time to consider starting your very own vegetable and herb garden.
The benefits of growing your own food are numerous and far-reaching, and the best part is, it's easier than you might think…EVEN in small spaces.
In this NB, we explore seven compelling reasons why you should consider embarking on the journey of becoming a joyful gardener.

1. Freshness and Flavor: Nothing Beats Homegrown​

One of the most satisfying aspects of growing your own vegetables and herbs is the unparalleled freshness and flavor they offer. Commercially grown produce is often harvested before it's fully ripe and can spend days or even weeks in transit before reaching your local store. In contrast, when you pick veggies and herbs straight from your garden, they are at the peak of freshness, bursting with flavor and nutrients.
Imagine the delight of biting into a sun-ripened tomato or plucking aromatic basil leaves for your homemade pasta sauce. These simple pleasures are what make gardening so rewarding.

2. Health and Nutrition: Nourish Your Body​

Growing your own veggies and herbs allows you to take control of your food's quality. You can choose organic and chemical-free cultivation methods, ensuring that your produce is as healthy as can be. This means fewer pesticides and herbicides on your plate and more nutrients in your meals.
Additionally, gardening can be a therapeutic and physically active hobby, helping you stay active and reduce stress. As you nurture your plants, you're also nurturing your well-being.

3. Cost Savings: Grow Your Wealth​

The initial investment in gardening supplies might seem daunting, but over time, it can save you a significant amount of money. By producing your own vegetables and herbs, you'll reduce your grocery bills and the need for pricey, pre-packaged herbs. Plus, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing exactly where your food comes from.

4. Environmental Benefits: Reduce Your Carbon Footprint​

Commercial agriculture can have a substantial impact on the environment, from pesticide use to long-distance transportation. When you grow your own veggies and herbs, you're contributing to a healthier planet. You can minimize waste by using compost and reducing the need for plastic packaging. Plus, fewer food miles mean a smaller carbon footprint.

5. Connection with Nature: Reconnect and Rejuvenate​

In today's fast-paced world, it's easy to feel disconnected from nature. Gardening offers a wonderful opportunity to reconnect with the Earth and slow down. Tending to your plants, feeling the soil between your fingers, and watching your garden flourish can be incredibly therapeutic and grounding.
Even if you don't have a large yard, you can start with a small container garden on your balcony or windowsill. The act of nurturing and observing your plants' growth is a powerful way to find solace in nature.

6. Customization: Tailor Your Garden to Your Tastes​

When you grow your own veggies and herbs, you have the freedom to choose what you want to cultivate. You can experiment with unique and heirloom varieties that may not be readily available in stores. This allows you to tailor your garden to your culinary preferences and get creative in the kitchen.

7. Community and Sharing: Connect with Others​

Gardening can also be a social experience. Joining a community garden or sharing your excess produce with neighbors and friends can create bonds and a sense of belonging. It's a wonderful way to spread the joy of gardening and strengthen your community ties.

Starting Your Joyful Gardening Journey​

If you're intrigued by the idea of growing your own veggies and herbs but feel overwhelmed or unsure of where to begin, don't worry. Gardening can be surprisingly easy, even if you have limited space or a busy schedule.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While I love the downtime of January and February to plan the garden, buy seeds, and dream about the perfect (ha!) garden season ahead, there is actually a thing called “winter gardening.”

No, it’s not chipping through frosted soil with numb fingers. Thankfully!!

It’s starting frost tolerant seeds in milk jugs and then setting them outside to slowly sprout and grow.

It’s super easy because after planting, you only need to check them every so often and open the jugs as spring starts heating up before planting in the garden.

The two things I appreciate most about this technique are:

1. It saves indoor seed starting space. I only have so much room under the lights and growing the cold weather crops outside frees up space for more flowers and warm weather crops.
  2. There is no traditional hardening off needed - yay! That’s my least favorite part of growing plants from seeds, so this is a big positive for me. You only need to gradually open the lids as the weather warms.

Curious to know more? I’ve written a whole article with all the details you need to get started - and it’s not too late, but you do need to get to it asap!

Milk Jug Winter Sowing

mail

Even More Winter Garden Ideas

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi

Growing our own fresh food is indeed good for our health. However, we often forget about the mental health benefits it can bring.

Planting seeds in your garden and seeing them bear fruit can have the same effects as when your pet runs up to greet you or you bask in warm sunshine while relaxing. In other words, it can fill your heart with happiness!

But of course, that can’t happen if you’re facing challenges in your garden and it’s not producing the fruits and veggies you want.

So to help you with that, our friends from Grow Your Own Vegetables are inviting you to watch their new online series, The Joyful Gardener, for F.REE!

Register now to enjoy this 8-part online series for FREE.

The series will be available from February 20th to 27th and will teach you how to grow the healthiest and freshest foods while relishing the pure joy of gardening.

Here's the list of episodes to give you a teaser of what to expect:

🥬 Episode 1: Making the Most of Your Local Climate

🥬 Episode 2: Healthy Plants Start with Healthy SOIL!

🥬 Episode 3: Making Compost & Compost Teas

🥬 Episode 4: Small Plot Growing & Packing In Plants

🥬 Episode 5: Fitting Gardening into Your Lifestyle

🥬 Episode 6: Simplifying Irrigation Systems

🥬 Episode 7: Harvesting & Pruning to Improve Yields

🥬 Episode 8: Pests, Diseases & Weeds: Show them who’s the boss!

You’ll discover in this series that gardening isn't just about providing fresh, healthy food; it also has the ability to reduce stress, enhance your mental well-being and fill your heart with joy!

Ready to see how growing your own food has more benefits for your overall health and wellness than you expected?

Register to get your F.REE ticket to watch The Joyful Gardener

To better physical and mental health,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Jimi, it’s February already! January went by in a flash, right? Some of you are still having short days, but soon it will be time to start measuring your sunlight hours to plan for the next growing season. This week’s feature video shares how!​
Thank you for joining us on this garden journey. Together, we'll nurture the beauty of your garden and the well-being of your body and mind. 🌻

Happy Gardening!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi,

This week on the farm has been all hands on deck to harvest and process our willow cuttings. Willows indeed are a remarkable and multi-faceted genus of trees and shrubs, bringing a wealth of benefits to any landscape they're part of. Their versatility and value extend across aesthetic, ecological, practical, and medicinal dimensions, making them a cornerstone species in sustainable and regenerative practices. We first started growing willows several years ago, and love them for a variety of reasons:

1. Ornamental and Aesthetic Value: Willows are visually stunning, with their graceful form, delicate leaves, and the gentle sway of their branches in the breeze. Many are prized in the floral world for their catkins or unique ornamental shapes and colors like fantail and curly willows.​
  2. Basket-making and Craftsmanship: The flexibility and strength of willow branches have been harnessed for centuries in the craft of basket-making. This traditional skill continues to be valued for its sustainability and the beauty of the handcrafted products.​
  3. Natural Barriers and Windbreaks: Willows grow rapidly and densely, making them excellent for creating natural barriers or windbreaks. They protect soil from erosion, shield smaller plants from harsh winds, and enhance privacy and noise reduction. They even can help dry up wet areas of the yard, we recommend the weeping willow for that use.​
  4. Biomass Production: The quick growth rate of willows makes them an excellent choice for biomass production. They can be harvested on short rotations, providing a renewable source of material for energy production or organic matter for composting.​
  5. Support for Pollinators: As early bloomers, willows are crucial for bees and other pollinators, offering a vital source of pollen and nectar early in the season when other food sources are scarce.​
  6. Medicinal Properties: The medicinal benefits of willows, particularly the salicin in their bark, have been recognized for centuries. This natural remedy has paved the way for modern medicines and continues to be valued for its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.​
  7. Rooting Hormone Production: The production of rooting hormones is another unique aspect of willows. 'Willow water' or 'willow tea', made by soaking the branches, can be used to encourage root growth in other plants, enhancing propagation efforts and gardening success.​

Incorporating willows into a landscape not only enhances its beauty and biodiversity but also brings these multifaceted benefits, contributing to a sustainable and resilient ecosystem. Whether for their beauty, practicality, or ecological role, willows stand out as a valuable addition to any homestead or garden. We offer a range of varieties, but our favorite are our winter glory (beautiful catkins for show) Rams horn- unique and decorative leaves, and Flame (absolutely stunning in the snow. Also checkout Rubykins, which has tiny beautiful catkins. For our florists and flower farmers, we have limited amounts of the coveted Mt. Aso pink willow as well!

They are all available in our shop and will be shipping soon!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

5 Reasons Why You Should Wait to Start Seeds​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi,
What do you want to learn about gardening this year???
Whatever it is, I bet our friends over at Grow Your Own Vegetables have you covered. They are hosting an amazing docuseries this month, showing you how to grow an abundance of happy, healthy, vegetables and herbs.​

This FREE docuseries is broken down into eight episodes:

👉 Making the Most of Your Local Climate
👉 Healthy Plants Start with Healthy SOIL!
👉 Making Compost & Compost Teas
👉 Small Plot Growing & Packing In Plants
👉 Fitting Gardening into Your Lifestyle
👉 Simplifying Irrigation Systems
👉 Harvesting & Pruning to Improve Yields
👉 Pests, Diseases & Weeds: Show them who’s the boss!

joyful gardener promo pic

This 8-Day Online Event is coming up February 20th - 27th.
Through this docuseries, you’ll learn how to grow the freshest, most nutrient-rich foods right at home and experience the joy of gardening at the same time.
And guess what?
Although this free docuseries is for anyone who gardens or wants to garden, it will specifically focus on growing vegetables and herbs in small spaces. So if you’re thinking “I don’t really have much room to grow anything…” this is one event you don’t want to miss. You’ll come away with tons of new ideas for packing your plants into small areas!
Growing your own food is highly rewarding, but it’s also difficult. There are a lot of challenges that come with gardening, which we know all too well.
But at the same time, there is also a lot of support for you!
The Joyful Gardener Docuseries will help you learn how to grow vegetables + herbs in a way that works for YOUR lifestyle and YOUR local conditions. You can sign up now and choose what to watch…whether it’s just one episode, two episodes, or the whole series.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi, the seeds you purchase are the essence of the nourishment that you wish to receive from nature's abundance.

And nature is incredibly abundant! 🌱

But if you're new to growing, understanding the differences between seed types can be really confusing. 🤔

How concerned do I need to be about GMO seeds? What’s the difference between hybrids and GMOs? What about hybrids vs open pollinated? What makes a seed “heirloom” anyway??

These are just a few of the many questions that you may be asking yourself. It's easy to end up down a rabbit hole of misunderstanding.

That’s why we’re excited to share our newest quick eGuide: Types of Seeds

🌰 Download your FREE Copy of the Types of Seeds eGuide HERE 🌰

GYOV Garden Trainer Crystal Meserole created this eGuide to help demystify the process of purchasing seeds. In it, you learn about different seed types, how they overlap, and where some of the confusion lies.

You also learn the lingo of seed shopping:

🌱 Conventional vs organic
🌰 Open pollinated
🌱 True to type
🌰 Patented seed
🌱 Heirloom
🌰 Hybrid
🌱 GMOs (yuck!)

🌰 Click HERE to Download the Types of Seeds eGuide 🌰

When you understand the differences between seed types, you can make choices that are more in line with your values.

Save your Types of Seeds eGuide in the folder where you keep all your garden goodies! That way, you’ll have easy access to it whenever you’re shopping for seeds or need a refresher.

To planting a future you can be proud of!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Root Crop Container Growing Done Right​

This video covers how to grow thriving root crops in pots. Learn how author John Moody grows up to 40 pounds of sweet potatoes in just a few square feet of containers.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Do Potatoes Grow Underground​

Wondering what to grow potatoes in? Do potatoes grow underground? No matter your soil type, you can try this easy method of using mulch!​

Growing Sweet Potato Slips In Water​

Learn how to root a sweet potato in water. Growing sweet potato slips in water is an easy and affordable way to get your sweet potatoes started for the season.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Growing Potatoes in a Barrel​

Learn how to grow potatoes in a barrel with these simple instructions. Growing potatoes in a barrel is a great way to save space while growing delicious food all season.​

Growing Potatoes: What You Need to Know​

Learn everything you need to know about growing potatoes, including when to plant potatoes, how to plant potatoes, and common potato pests.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your urban farming hack for this week is how to grow perfect tomatoes.

If you’ve already grown tomatoes or tried sun-ripened tomatoes fresh from the vine, you know how superior homegrown tomatoes are to those bought at the store.

To be honest… I can hardly stand the taste of store bought tomatoes now that I know how juicy and delicious homegrown tomatoes are.

Check out this article from Jason Johns on Growing Tomatoes from side shoots.

And while you're preparing to plant your tomatoes, bookmark this oven roasted tomato soup recipe for your harvest!

Tomatoes are the perfect crop to grow at home because they also do well in containers. Ready, set, grow!

P.S. Tomatoes are only the beginning! With a permaculture mindset, you can take your growing beyond the garden and apply it to other areas of your life. We have had the privilege of preserving an incredible online permaculture course taught by Toby Hemenway, author of Gaia's Garden, that will change the way you connect with the land and the world (and it's more affordable than a Permaculture Design Course). Click here to learn more and enroll in Creating Your Permaculture City.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi, thanks for registering for our upcoming Joyful Gardener Docuseries! We are excited to put the JOY back into gardening!

In the meantime, we want to offer you our Your First Step to Grow ORGANIC Vegetables eGuide. This FREE eGuide is designed to help you discover your garden personality and inner Garden Hero!

Button: I Want the First Step!

While you’re there, don’t forget to watch the video “Prioritize What is Important to YOU.” In this video, you learn the first simple step that successful gardeners do. You don’t want to miss this!

Please share what Garden Personality represents your gardening style and goals in our wonderful Facebook Community Group HERE. Not a member yet? Join HERE and share!

Be sure that you have marked your calendar 🗓️ for February 20-27. The Joyful Gardener Docuseries is a don’t miss event!

Thanks for being a part of our garden community—you are a-maize-ing! 🌽

🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

PS
—Tell your gardening friends about this, too! 💑 They can go to JoyfulGardenerDocuseries.com to grab their Premier Pass to the Joyful Gardener Docuseries. Please feel free to share this on your social media as well. 😀

Together, we can expand the “grow your own vegetables” revolution!

mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How to Plant Your Garden According to the Moon Signs​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you excited, Jimi, for the upcoming Joyful Gardener Docuseries. It is going to be THE garden event of the year to help you overcome any obstacles standing in the way of growing an abundance of fresh vegetables and herbs for your dinner table AND maintain the JOY of gardening, too! 🎈

Our goal is to ensure that you have great resources at your disposal—whether you are new to gardening or looking to continue to grow your garden knowledge. Here is a FREE eGuide that is one of our favorites: Double Your Vegetables in Half the Garden Space. This eGuide contains the 5 keys 🗝️ to a successful vegetable and herb garden.

Button: I Want the 5 keys!

While you’re there, don’t forget to watch our video “You May Find MORE Gardening Space” that shares how to grow the vegetables you need in a space as small as a medium-sized car!

See you soon when you turnip for the Joyful Gardener Docuseries!

PS
—Tell your gardening friends about this, too! 💑 They can go to JoyfulGardenerDocuseries.com to grab their Premier Pass to the Joyful Gardener Docuseries. Please feel free to share this on your social media as well. 😀

mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just thought this was interesting

How long do you think it takes to get a cow from grain fed to fully grass-fed?

On this episode of the Thriving Farmer Podcast, Michael is joined by Tim Joseph, the pioneering founder of Maple Hill Creamery, the largest 100% regenerative, grass-fed organic dairy farm in the U.S. After leaving his corporate job, Tim positioned Maple Hill at the forefront of the dairy industry, championing grass-fed organic dairy and regenerative farming practices.

Tune in to hear all about Tim and Maple Hill’s dairy farming journey.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
Are you excited, Jimi, for the upcoming Joyful Gardener Docuseries. It is going to be THE garden event of the year to help you overcome any obstacles standing in the way of growing an abundance of fresh vegetables and herbs for your dinner table AND maintain the JOY of gardening, too! 🎈

Our goal is to ensure that you have great resources at your disposal—whether you are new to gardening or looking to continue to grow your garden knowledge. Here is a FREE eGuide that is one of our favorites: Double Your Vegetables in Half the Garden Space. This eGuide contains the 5 keys 🗝️ to a successful vegetable and herb garden.

Button: I Want the 5 keys!

While you’re there, don’t forget to watch our video “You May Find MORE Gardening Space” that shares how to grow the vegetables you need in a space as small as a medium-sized car!

See you soon when you turnip for the Joyful Gardener Docuseries!

PS

mail
hi jimmi hope all is going well, pass on a hug to jean

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Regenerative Practices for the Home Gardener​

In this video Leah Webb breaks down the carbon-storage techniques used on large farms into steps that can be easily taken by a backyard gardener. Get the tools you need to improve the health of your soil through naturally occurring processes.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

DIY Rooftop Garden​

Though there are a few common problems with rooftop gardens, a DIY rooftop garden can help prevent wildlife pressure while you're growing your own food.​

Different Intensive Gardening Methods: Pros and Cons​

Why is sustainable gardening important? Learn how to best use these intensive gardening methods for sustainability, including aquaculture, straw bale gardening and hugelkultur.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Vertical Gardening Basics for Fall​

Make smart use of your garden space with these vertical gardening basics. Beat the frost in the fall with these tips for extra weeks of harvest.​

Organic Practices and Objectives​

Here are some organic practices and objectives to get you started on your organic journey. Plus: What is carbon sequestration?​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you know that the USDA recently updated the plant hardiness zones for the first time in over a decade?! The new map shows that half of the country has shifted to a warmer zone.

But what does this mean for you? It means you may be able to grow plants that you couldn't grow before. Maybe. Click here to see if your hardiness zone has changed.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Did you know that the USDA recently updated the plant hardiness zones for the first time in over a decade?! The new map shows that half of the country has shifted to a warmer zone.

But what does this mean for you? It means you may be able to grow plants that you couldn't grow before. Maybe. Click here to see if your hardiness zone has changed.
Just so folks know... The new USDA map only affect perennial plants (trees, shrubs, plants that stay planted over winter, etc.) not your annuals. Annuals you still need to plant based on their frost tolerance and heat tolerance.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

"Xenohormesis"​

Most people think the reason that vegetables make us healthier is that they contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, etc ... and that's certainly part of the picture.
But a less obvious reason that vegetables are healthy to eat is that many of the nutrients generally called "phytonutrients" are actually mild stressors that induce an adaptive response in our bodes that makes us stronger in various ways.
It's kind of like biochemical exercise for our cells.
When the source of this beneficial stress is supplied by a molecule from outside of the body, it is called "xenohormesis".
Many phytonutrients promote increased production of our body's own antioxidants like glutathione via the Nrf-2 (nuclear factor erythroid-2-related factor 2) pathway.
Another result can be that your the mitochondria in your cells get bigger, stronger, more numerous, more resistant to stress, and capable of producing more energy ... and you feel more energetic.
But vegetables purchased in the store have usually lost many of the nutrients they had before they were harvested.
This could be why many centenarians are gardeners. They're getting the full complement of phytonutrients from their own fresh-picked veggies.
So more and more people are growing their own food, but if you don’t know what you’re doing, you can waste precious time and even squander your efforts and get discouraged.
Don’t let that happen to you.
Allow Stacey Murphy to empower you to grow fresh veggies high in phytonutrients in the Joyful Gardener Virtual Event, starting February 20th.
Learn how to grow more phytonutrient-dense food, in less space, in harmony with your local climate conditions ... Reserve your spot here.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Growing and Using Lavender​

In this video, learn how to start a new plant from cuttings, air-dry flowers for year-round use, and create your own DIY body care products.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How to Sleep Better at Night Naturally​

Learn how to sleep better at night naturally by creating a peaceful sleep environment with tips for decorating your bedroom.​

Herbs for Dream Pillows: Make Your Own!​

Get some herbs for dream pillows and make your own to encourage natural relaxation. Slip the cushion under your pillow for a restful night’s sleep.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

4 Herbs for Better Sleep Video​

Consider trying some of these herbs for better sleep, including a chamomile tea recipe, valerian root tea, hops, and more.​

Natural Sleeping Herbs for Better Sleep​

Learn what kind of tea helps you sleep to let Mother Nature's natural sleeping herbs work on your behalf to obtain the restorative rest you need.​

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For those not familiar with Dorothy Parker, she was a writer/poet who founded The Algonquin Round Table, a group of writers that met daily for lunch at the Algonquin Hotel in NYC. And yes, this really is going somewhere gardening related...well, kind of. A little horticultural humor anyway.

According to the story I read, the Round Table would sometimes play a game where someone in the group would throw out a word and the other writers would have to come up with a sentence using that word in an original way. One day the word given to Dorothy Parker was "horticulture." (see, told you this was gardening related)

It's possible you have heard the sentence she came up with before, but without knowing the origin. Her sentence was:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

VU Sponsors