Become a Patron!

Garden time is coming

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm guessing that you've been exploring around the web, but maybe DDG (Duck, Duck, Go) finds different stuff than google.

BTW spider plants don't need a ton of moisture. I grew them when I lived in Reno which is a very dry climate year round.
Yeah, looked at all of those articles. When looking at care information for each of the plants the seemed to fit the bill, including the spider plant, I was reading that they needed higher humidity. But it's good to know that it isn't as important as it seemed from some of the things I read.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Would lightly misting the leaves of plants like this be enough to keep them healthy in a low humidity environment? If so I guess right now I'm leaning towards one of those three plants.
Yes this would work BUT you'd haveta mist them every couple hours, every hour in the real dry. The furnace you need to keep warm this time of year dries the air so fast it would be a lost cause.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, looked at all of those articles. When looking at care information for each of the plants the seemed to fit the bill, including the spider plant, I was reading that they needed higher humidity. But it's good to know that it isn't as important as it seemed from some of the things I read.
What if you use a humidifier?
Another thought, if you want happy cats plant them some catnip.
Catnip is good for humans too

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I grow veggies all winter long, mostly greens so they are fresh and tasty. I use my 100 watt LED that I use to start my garden plants inside with, works great but adds a lot of light to the room
Yep yep, but I guess let me clarify, I'm not just looking for ideas on what I can grow indoors in general. This is for a specific place and specific purpose. Right now I am rearranging things a bit to create an area that is conducive to my practice sessions. I have to have the computer in the area to watch my lessons, but otherwise I am trying to eliminate anything distracting. And then fill the area around me up with things that are calming, relaxing, and zenlike.

This means I do not want bright lights in the area. Also I do not want to have to move plants in and out of the area just so they can get enough light when I am not practicing. I want something I can leave there full time.

Here is the space I am trying to add some plants to. Still working on arranging things a bit, but the plants would go on the tops of one or both of the shelfs on the left side of the picture, the areas circled in red.

1703881787375.png

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
Yep yep, but I guess let me clarify, I'm not just looking for ideas on what I can grow indoors in general. This is for a specific place and specific purpose. Right now I am rearranging things a bit to create an area that is conducive to my practice sessions. I have to have the computer in the area to watch my lessons, but otherwise I am trying to eliminate anything distracting. And then fill the area around me up with things that are calming, relaxing, and zenlike.

This means I do not want bright lights in the area. Also I do not want to have to move plants in and out of the area just so they can get enough light when I am not practicing. I want something I can leave there full time.

Here is the space I am trying to add some plants to. Still working on arranging things a bit, but the plants would go on the tops of one or both of the shelfs on the left side of the picture, the areas circled in red.

View attachment 211708
grow herbs and lettuse you do not need artificial light and keep them moist not soaking. thyme, parslet dont require work and let a nice smell fill the room. baby lettuce you donteven need to bury the seeds as birds cant get to them and all these choices to not need more than 2 inches of soil depth as they do not have larde roots mint is good but it goes overboars when it is growing.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
grow herbs and lettuse you do not need artificial light and keep them moist not soaking. thyme, parslet dont require work and let a nice smell fill the room. baby lettuce you donteven need to bury the seeds as birds cant get to them and all these choices to not need more than 2 inches of soil depth as they do not have larde roots mint is good but it goes overboars when it is growing.
Mint and parsley are toxic to cats as are several other herbs, thyme (and most herbs) require a minimum of 6 hours of full sunlight per day, even shade tolerant varieties of lettuce require 4. There is zero direct sunlight in this location.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
Mint and parsley are toxic to cats as are several other herbs, thyme (and most herbs) require a minimum of 6 hours of full sunlight per day, even shade tolerant varieties of lettuce require 4. There is zero direct sunlight in this location.
i should grow more and put them beside the fence then

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's goin to be tough to find something with pleasing scent that will grow in those locations. I can't think of any :facepalm:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Easy Plants for Kids to Grow​

Choose easy plants for kids to grow to facilitate a love of the natural world with one of its smallest components: plant seeds.​

How to Start Seeds Indoors​

Get a headstart on your vegetable garden by learning how to start seeds indoors. Save money yearly by creating a setup for starting seeds indoors under lights.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The Right Seeds for Your Garden​

Choose the best seeds to grow in your garden by following this guide to different types of seeds.​

Tips for Selecting Seeds​

Now is the time to start planning for your summer garden. If you haven't purchase seeds for this year, here are a few tips to help you get started.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
As the new year approaches, we all are making plans for the things to come. Jimi, have you made your resolution list? Did you include plans for your next season’s garden? We want to provide you with some great ideas and resources to help you along the way.​
Thank you for joining us on this garden journey. Together, we'll nurture the beauty of your garden and the well-being of your body and mind. 🌻

Happy Gardening—and Happy New Year’s! 🪩

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱
If there is a topic that you would like to see in future newsletters, please let us know by replying to this email. This newsletter is for YOU and your gardening success!

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@SirKadly , have you thought about building a mini greenhouse out of plexiglass and a door to swing open or up or slide. Have holes drilled in glass or oblong cuts something to let air in. Hook lights up at the top. It would keep kitties safe. Than if need be get a room divider to keep the light from you. Or hang a dark curtain shower curtain up from the ceiling? But, the room divider would be better cause of kitties.
Just an idea thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Happy New Year, Jimi!

It’s that time of year again. People are setting their goals and intentions for the new year, which often includes trying to lose weight and get healthy. That’s not an easy resolution, though, and we want to help!

We’ve been very impressed by Grow Your Own Vegetables' friend Dr. Susan Peirce Thompson. She has great information that can provide immediate help to millions to better understand their relationship with food—both healthy and unhealthy foods.

Dr. Susan is offering a free webinar at 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific tonight for the Grow Your Own Vegetables Community in which she will explain how to set EFFECTIVE and ACHIEVABLE goals for 2024 and use this system to reshape your relationship with food and shed your excess weight.
Button: SIGN UP FOR THE FREE WEBINAR HERE

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Heirloom Mediterranean Vegetables List​

Learn all about Sicily vegetable seeds and Sicilian fruit varieties. Get a comprehensive mediterranean vegetables list and check out Melodie Metje's research about heirloom seeds and plant varieties.​

Chile de Agua Oaxaca Heirloom Pepper​

Interested in learning more about the chile de agua Oaxaca? The chile de agua pepper has been grown for over 300 years in Mexico.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How To Save Heirloom Seeds For Next Year​

Organic seed breeders like Frank Morton work hard on saving heirloom seeds and improving them year after year. Learn how to save heirloom seeds for next year by choosing the hardiest plants.​

Heirloom Pea Varieties​

If you are looking for some of the best heirloom pea varieties, check out this detailed types of peas list from author William Woys Weaver.​

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Me and Mrs. GB took the 45 minute drive to Merced so I could pick up this for my class starting this Saturday. That critter is 700+ pages and 2 inches thick!

MG book.jpg

I also have homework, watch a hour YT vid to answer questions, read the chapter on soil in this book, and take a soil sample from my yard.

Tonight I got access to the University of California internet portal. I guess I'm official...

This is gonna be intense...

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Jimi, ever wonder how you can grow more of your own food?

Maybe you want to have your own garden to feed your family fresh healthy food. Maybe you want to start a side business selling produce to your community. Or maybe you want to be prepared for whatever may occur in today’s world by knowing you have the skills and knowledge to provide for your friends and family should the need arise.

If any of these ideas sound like you, Grow Your Own Vegetables has a friend that you need to meet. Michael Kilpatrick is a farmer, homesteader, entrepreneur, and host of the popular Thriving Farmer Podcast. In fact, Michael has been featured on FIVE of our Superfood Garden Summits!

We’re excited to share with the Grow Your Own Vegetables Community that Michael has organized the Thriving Farmer Vegetables Summit, which features 27+ expert speakers—including Grow Your Own Vegetables’ own Stacey Murphy!
Stacey Murphy
These speakers have gathered together in order to share with YOU their best advice on how to grow and sell more vegetables fresh from your own garden!

✅ Click HERE to Learn More About the Summit ✅

During the 4-Day Summit on January 11th-14th, you’ll receive FREE training on planning, producing, and selling veggies, including how to:

🥬 Choose vegetable varieties
🥬 Save your own seeds
🥬 Plan vegetables into your home landscape
🥬 Produce an abundance in a small area
🥬 Include winter greens for year-round production
🥬 Grow the best, most abundant tomatoes around
🥬 Maintain healthy, fertile soil
🥬 Compost
🥬 Manage weeds
🥬 Grow gardens for a living
🥬 Involve your local community
🥬 …and much, much more!

This summit is full of actionable, step-by-step conversations with expert farmers, artisans, gardeners, homesteaders, and industry speakers, who are sharing all about growing and selling veggies.

Best of all, this summit is 100% free to watch when it airs LIVE!
Grab Your Ticket Now
👉 Save Your Spot Here 👈
No matter your goal—fresh food, extra income, or prepping for the future—join Michael and the 27+ speakers for the Thriving Farmer Vegetables Summit on January 11-14, 2024.

Don’t miss out on this a-maize-ing opportunity!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rogue GMO soil microbes, irreversible consequences. Report filed with Securities and Exchange Commission by Friends of Earth.

OrganicConsumers.org recommends contacting your elected representatives to prevent approval:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I grow veggies all winter long, mostly greens so they are fresh and tasty. I use my 100 watt LED that I use to start my garden plants inside with, works great but adds a lot of light to the room

I'm wondering this, since Kad doesn't want a room full of bright lights. Can't the LED's for indoor gardening be gotten with hoods, so the light is directed onto the plants but doesn't fill the room with distracting bright light?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm wondering this, since Kad doesn't want a room full of bright lights. Can't the LED's for indoor gardening be gotten with hoods, so the light is directed onto the plants but doesn't fill the room with distracting bright light?
I haven't seen any but with a little 1/4 inch plywood and some 2x2's it's easy to build a cabinet for your plants and vent it out the back side ;)

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I appreciate the ideas, truly, but I've decided to just go with spider plants, based on goph saying they weren't as reliant on humidity as my research seemed to indicate.

The main issue with this space is it really is impossible to add any additional lighting, as I have nowhere to plug anything in, the only outlet in this half of the room is already taken up by my computer stuff, and even that is on the opposite wall from where the plants will be sitting.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I appreciate the ideas, truly, but I've decided to just go with spider plants, based on goph saying they weren't as reliant on humidity as my research seemed to indicate.

The main issue with this space is it really is impossible to add any additional lighting, as I have nowhere to plug anything in, the only outlet in this half of the room is already taken up by my computer stuff, and even that is on the opposite wall from where the plants will be sitting.

Spider plants are pretty.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The ēdn SmallGarden:
A Modern Solution for Indoor Gardening
Not everyone has access to acres of land or even a backyard — fortunately, there are other options that make gardening accessible for everyone!
Cultivating an indoor garden is the perfect way to spend the winter months and get ready for spring! Plus, daily access to immune-boosting herbs and nutrient-rich greens will help keep your health in check during cold and flu season (and the rest of the year).​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi,
Ready for the Vegetable Summit this weekend?
We’ve been working hard behind the scenes, and we can’t wait to share all of the amazing presentations with you!
You are one of 8000+ farmers and gardeners who have signed up to attend the summit - and we’re thrilled to have you here for the virtual event.
Hopefully you’re as excited as we are, because we’re releasing one of the presentations early to give you a sneak peek of the summit! You can head over to the resource hub page right now to watch my interview with Ray Tyler of Rose Creek Farms.
Ray Tyler veg summit

Ray’s background may resonate with many of you. Farming was NOT something he thought we would end up doing! Before he and his wife started having kids, Ray was working long hours as a welder. But after starting a family, he realized that most of his time and energy was being eaten up by his job, and he was barely available in the home.
So…he and his wife decided to start something new…something that the whole family could do together.
They started a farm!
But, as many of you know, building a farm from the ground up is extremely difficult. So difficult that Ray ended up in the same situation: burned out and exhausted from working long, tiring hours instead of being available for his family.
What changed?
That’s what you’ll learn in today’s sneak-peek session! Get the full scoop on…​
  • Why focusing on cashflow is key
  • When you should delegate instead of doing everything yourself
  • Ideas to get your kids involved on the farm
  • Why it’s vital to fully disengage from work when you take time off for you family
  • Why Ray doesn’t force his kids to work…and pays them for the work they do!
  • A look at Ray’s 8-hour days on the farm

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Germinating Tomato Seeds Faster​

Germinating tomato seeds is somewhat intensive but generally produces good results. Learn how to germinate tomato seeds faster with the following steps.​

Homemade Seed Starting Mix​

Create your own homemade seed starting mix with the perfect balance of nutrients and moisture. This seed starting mix DIY is simple to put together.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Indy Officinalis on Starting Seeds Indoors with Grow Lights​

Indy Officinalis talks starting seeds indoors with grow lights. She troubleshoots stunted seedlings, shares when to put light on germinated seeds, and more!​

Sustainable Seed Starting With a Soil Block Recipe​

Learn how to use a soil blocker and get the perfect soil block recipe to ditch plastic in your seed starting supplies.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

265 Vegetable Summit

Are you ready to take your vegetable farming to the next level?
On this episode of the Thriving Farmer Podcast, Michael shares about this year’s Thriving Farmer Summit and this year is all about Vegetables. The Summit is a free event happening January 12-14th and features a lineup of expert speakers covering topics from fertilizer-free farming methods and winter production to balancing family and farming, soil tests, compost and much more.
Tune in to hear about how this year’s Summit offers valuable insights and practical tips for farmers to improve their farming practices and grow better quality vegetables.
Click here to register for the Vegetable Summit.

In this episode, you’ll hear:

• About what the Thriving Farmer Vegetable Summit is all about
  • Some details about each of this year’s Session Speakers
  • What some of Michael’s biggest takeaways were from his interviews
  • How to register for the Vegetable Summit

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I started my peppers and some onions on New Years Eve. So far only the super hot peppers have not sprouted, the Habanero and the Ghost. I was expecting everything to take longer, but it is what it is. I have a heat mat under the tray and I had a humidity dome on as well.

Peppers-sprouting.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi

Summit Day 1 has been fantastic!

What do you think???

Thousands of you have been watching the talks, and we had a great time on the live today with Paul Dysinger!

Just check out some of the comments we’ve gotten yesterday and today…

veg summit live social proof 1

veg summit live social proof 2

veg summit live social proof 3

veg summit instagram testimonial #1

We love hearing feedback from everyone, and can't wait to hear more!

Believe it or not, the day is far from over…

We still have an exciting evening ahead of us. We’re going LIVE @ 7 pm EST for a speaker Q&A and giveaway:

Friday Day 1 Giveaway Image

Yes, this giveaway includes a $600+ Tilther XT from Johnny’s Seeds! Plus several small giveaways you don’t want to miss.

Have you entered yet???

If not, just hit the link below to get the details for entering + the link to join us LIVE @ 7 pm EST!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Seeds, herbs, and crop planning, oh my! What do these three things have in common, Jimi? They are all covered in this week’s newsletter. You won’t want to miss all this great info!​
Thank you for joining us on this garden journey. Together, we'll nurture the beauty of your garden and the well-being of your body and mind. 🌻

Happy Gardening—and Happy New Year’s! 🪩

If there is a topic that you would like to see in future newsletters, please let us know by replying to this email. This newsletter is for YOU and your gardening success!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi,

Day 2 of the Vegetable Summit is already here!

We’ve got another 10 presentations lined up for you, plus TWO live sessions this afternoon and lots more giveaways!

But, first, a quick announcement! Due to some technical issues yesterday, some of our attendees couldn’t view the summit. We apologize if you were one of those people! We don’t want anyone to miss out on the summit due to technical issues on our end, so the Day 1 sessions will be available for an extra 24 hours! If you didn’t catch all of the Day 1 presentations yet, they will be available until 6 am EST on Sunday, with no login required.

Keep reading to get all the details for today!

#1 - Day 2 presentations are now released!​

Day 2 is all about vegetable PRODUCTION + CULTIVATION, with talks ranging from weed control to greenhouses to growing cucumbers.

veg summit day 2 grid

Check out today’s awesome speaker lineup:

• JM Fortier: The 4th Season: The Low Stress, High Reward Winter Farm
  • Dave Chapman: 5 Expert Techniques to Double or even Triple your Tomato Yields
  • Andre Cantelmo: The Weed Free Farm: Zone-controlled Soil Steaming
  • Iain Tolhurst: Sustainable Abundance: High Organic Yields, Zero Fertilizers
  • Sam Tilton: Managing Weeds through Smarts and Steel
  • Guillaume Lambert: Get Out of the Rut With Greenhouse Automation
  • Ray Tyler: How We Produce over 3000 Cucumbers per 100' Bed
  • Michael Kilpatrick: High Profit Rhizomes: Growing Ginger and Turmeric
  • Richard Dailey: Choosing the Right Two Wheel Tractor for your Farm
  • Grant Estrade: Black Gold: Unearthing the Secrets of Effective Composting

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally waking up to the hazards of "weather engineering".

New Hampshire bill to ban:

Mexico will ban:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
We hope our North America Gardeners are staying warm this week!

It’s time to grab a cup of hot chocolate and curl up to enjoy the latest edition of the Home Gardener’s Weekly!​

Happy Gardening!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Seed Experimentation and Genetics​

Learn from Hank Will in this part of our Seed Stories video series as he discusses seed genetics and experiments to produce the best plant seed.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Build A Grow Light Setup For Seedlings​

Looking to build your own DIY indoor grow light stand? This simple grow light setup for seedlings is low-cost and can be made with some PVC, fluorescent shop lights and a handful of other materials.​

Create The Best Soil For Starting Seeds​

Looking to make your own indoor seed starter system? Learn how to mix the best soil for starting seeds and learn the seed starting basics.​

VU Sponsors